• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Quick Questions & Answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

leyn09

Truant Trainer
Years
  • I think you just need a script editor. That's the Magikarp, right? Decompile it, and you'll see that you won't need a dedicated tutorial.

or you could make your own selling pokemon script. Just search for diegoisawesome's and tajaros' tutorials about scripting.

here's a sample of script
    Spoiler:

if you want to sell only once, use flags. I didn't inlcude nicknaming or showing money. You could learn it all by reading scripting tutorials. As much as possible, try learning them instead of editing from default scripts. It's more fun that way. Hope that helps!

The Walrus

it's a me, jesse
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2019
    Quick question for anybody that's willing to answer. I would like to turn the usual selection of HMs into TMs. Would this be as simple as a byte change or is ASM required?
    I'm no expert, but I believe ASM is required. On the reverse side, without the need for asm, you cam effectively make TMs into moves with uses outside of battle. If I'm not mistaken, there is a command "checkpokemove" that can be used to determine if one of your pokes knows said move, and from there its as simple as scripting in whatever effect is desired. Some things though, will definitely require asm.

Years
  • Two quick questions about AdvanceMap.
    1. How do I move the wild pokemon data from one map to another? One had wild pokemon when I don't want it to and one doesn't have any but I want it to. TRather than switching entire maps around, how do I swap the data?

There's a table for wild pokemon data located at:
    Fire Red: 083C9CB8
    Emerald: 08552D48
    Its entries are enumerated like this:
    Spoiler:

What you want to do is: open a hex editor, go to the start of the table and look for the map you want to copy(make sure you find forward). So, you take map bank and number and look for those two bytes. After you've found it, copy the 0x14 bytes, look for the map you want to edit, and paste them there.

Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2016
    or you could make your own selling pokemon script. Just search for diegoisawesome's and tajaros' tutorials about scripting.

here's a sample of script
    Spoiler:

if you want to sell only once, use flags. I didn't inlcude nicknaming or showing money. You could learn it all by reading scripting tutorials. As much as possible, try learning them instead of editing from default scripts. It's more fun that way. Hope that helps!
    Uhmm. I wasn't suggesting editing default scripts. I was suggesting learning from default scripts. I'd argue that you get more out of looking at the game for something this simple because you also learn how to learn.
    There's a table for wild pokemon data located at:
    Fire Red: 083C9CB8
    Emerald: 08552D48
    Its entries are enumerated like this:
    Spoiler:

What you want to do is: open a hex editor, go to the start of the table and look for the map you want to copy(make sure you find forward). So, you take map bank and number and look for those two bytes. After you've found it, copy the 0x14 bytes, look for the map you want to edit, and paste them there.
    If you copy 0x14 bytes, aren't you also copying the map and bank number :P (only the pointers should be copied)

Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2016
    Can anyone please teach me how to change trainer i got cynthia sprites that i got from google but i cant replace them.
    is there a specific size of prites to import in a ROM?

Emerald Version

The Walrus

it's a me, jesse
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2019
    Can anyone please teach me how to change trainer i got cynthia sprites that i got from google but i cant replace them.
    is there a specific size of prites to import in a ROM?

Emerald Version
    Don't know if people still use it, but UNlz has all of the sprites & many other images. Yes there is a size limit(I think it's 64x64 like the poke sprites), but I believe you can edit the size limit in a hex editor.

Years
  • Hi, I wanted to get back to hacking, but everytime I start XSE, error 380 shows up. I've been sitting on this problem for 2 hours and still couldn't find solution...

The error looks like this (in Windows 10):
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2023
    does anyone have a good resource of 2 frame pokemon icons? The ones I found only have 1 frame and look messed up ingame

Years
  • Hi, I'm having trouble with my ROM Hack of Pokémon Emerald. Every time a dialogue box opens up the red arrow at the bottom right has random pixels floating under it that bob up and down with the arrow. Is this because I changed the pallets for the trainer sprites? Can it be fixed? If so, how? Any help is greatly appreciated. See the image in the spoiler below.

Spoiler:

The Walrus

it's a me, jesse
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2019
    Hi, I'm having trouble with my ROM Hack of Pokémon Emerald. Every time a dialogue box opens up the red arrow at the bottom right has random pixels floating under it that bob up and down with the arrow. Is this because I changed the pallets for the trainer sprites? Can it be fixed? If so, how? Any help is greatly appreciated. See the image in the spoiler below.

Spoiler:
    Did you edit anything to do with the text box? Palettes could also potentially be an issue.

-

I've been out of hacking forever, thus I forgot about most of the data I had accumulated. What flags are free & safe to use?

Oh, and I saw something before about replacing all instances of 00 with FF. Is there a link to how to accomplish this, or is it simple enough to just tell me? lol im so rusty.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2023
    Hi there. I just downloaded Fire Red's IDA from knizz's signature and tried opening it using "File -> Open" it gives the following message:
    You can't disassemble file with such an extension: C:\...\firered.idb
    It seems that "Open" disassembles a file, whereas knizz's IDB is actually a database, so how do I use it?

Years
  • Hi there. I just downloaded Fire Red's IDA from knizz's signature and tried opening it using "File -> Open" it gives the following message:
    You can't disassemble file with such an extension: C:\...\firered.idb
    It seems that "Open" disassembles a file, whereas knizz's IDB is actually a database, so how do I use it?

If you have IDA installed, double-clicking on FireRed.idb should be enough. You could also drag this file to IDA.

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2023
    is it possible to add more frames (forms) to pokemon in g3hs for example deoxys? or what do i have to change for it to let me do this?

also whats the best item editor

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2023
    I have 2 questions using Pokemon Ruby:

1) I can't fly to Fallarbor Town, Fortree City, or any map after Fortree. Their Pokecenters still have their own respective sethealingplace in the level script which I haven't touched, and I've gone in them and healed my Pokemon in game. When I go to the fly map they're still greyed out and unselectable. What could cause this?

2) I can't figure out how to set the national dex; from what I've seen it needs to be set after you've received the standard Pokedex. I have a script box just outside of the Prof's lab that looks like this:
    Code:
    '-----------------------
    #org 0x859F02
    lock
    checkflag 0x103C
    if 0x1 goto 0x880E968
    checkflag 0x801
    if 0x1 goto 0x885AAF0
    release
    end

'-----------------------
    #org 0x80E968
    release
    end

'-----------------------
    #org 0x85AAF0
    applymovement 0x1 0x885AA9B
    waitmovement 0x0
    applymovement 0x1 0x885AB36
    waitmovement 0x0
    msgbox 0x885AAAC '"Oh! Is that a POKéDEX?\pThat's so c..."
    callstd 0x6
    writebytetooffset 0x2 0x2026B00
    writebytetooffset 0x3 0x2026B01
    writebytetooffset 0xDA 0x2024EBE
    writebytetooffset 0x67 0x2026A5A
    applymovement 0x1 0x885AE02
    waitmovement 0x0
    setflag 0x103C
    release
    end
    The event seems to work in game, but it doesn't set the Pokedex to national mode. What am I doing wrong?

Years
    • Seen Sep 6, 2023
    1) I can't fly to Fallarbor Town, Fortree City, or any map after Fortree. Their Pokecenters still have their own respective sethealingplace in the level script which I haven't touched, and I've gone in them and healed my Pokemon in game. When I go to the fly map they're still greyed out and unselectable. What could cause this?

I figured this problem out on my own just now; I had started deleting levelscripts in the cities themselves just so nothing weird could happen with the games original flags being set. Turns out some of those are what activate the flight positions: Flags 813, 81A...etc.
    I made levelscripts which just activate the respective flags and it works fine now.

Still unsure about activating the national dex.

Years
  • I figured this problem out on my own just now; I had started deleting levelscripts in the cities themselves just so nothing weird could happen with the games original flags being set. Turns out some of those are what activate the flight positions: Flags 813, 81A...etc.
    I made levelscripts which just activate the respective flags and it works fine now.

I don't know about Ruby, but in Emerald special 0x1F3 activates the national pokedex, so it's probably similar in Ruby with special number being different. I'm also suggesting you switch Ruby to Emerald or Fire Red as they're far more documented and everything Ruby does, Emerald does as well(in some cases , it does it better).

The Walrus

it's a me, jesse
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2019
    I figured this problem out on my own just now; I had started deleting levelscripts in the cities themselves just so nothing weird could happen with the games original flags being set. Turns out some of those are what activate the flight positions: Flags 813, 81A...etc.

special 0x16F

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back