• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

REAL Reputation Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiNGi

Banned
    Years
    well, then at this stage i would prefer nothing....
    I know all of us who are not abusing the system will miss it, but sometimes stupid immature people can force us to do such decisions.... and we should get used to it for the benefit of the community. I miss the rep comments too now that i disabled it, but I just disabled it not to seem competitive with other n00bs :'( And I did not enjoy it much...
    But I would agree on disabling rep completely, because there are no other solutions apparently:
    If rep can only be given by mods or admins, they would definitely have some friends, and they would involountarily tend to give rep more often to them than others...

Also if someone has much rep and it can only be given by admins and mods, some people may tend to become friend to this 'popular' preson because it may lead them to popularity too..... but is that real friendship? thats just a problem that will lead PC to an unfriendly environment...

In my opinion if we do sacrifice rep is for the benefit of the community, and mature people should get used to it, even if it will surely leave a bitter taste...

This is just an opinion from this humble ninja.... the rest is up to you....

Cool Cr@cker

I am now Chrono Cr@cker
    Years
    Kairi said:
    We try to encourage leaving the posting about if a thread is valid or not to the mods. Reporting is fine, but just posting say ?This should be closed? doesn?t get anything done

But yeah, let?s stick with rep in this topic. ^_^;
    OMG!Sorry DOnt scream guys my ears are clogged@
    Maybe there should be a report REp Button.IF anyone feels someone's missuing it. They Can use it and maybe the mods can find out who it is and warn the person!

Hey this sounds great!

Years
    Why not we leave the rep system as it is, and if people want to add rep to someone they have to ask a Mod and give them a good reason and person to be given the good rep to. At least that way we know who's giving the good rep, and who's not.

Soph

Chasing Arcanine with a spoon XD
    Years
    Moonlight Dreams said:
    Why not we leave the rep system as it is, and if people want to add rep to someone they have to ask a Mod and give them a good reason and person to be given the good rep to. At least that way we know who's giving the good rep, and who's not.
    Yeah, and then the poor mods would be overrun with hundreds of PM's just asking 'can I give rep to this member?' or 'can I give rep to that member?'; No mod has the time to reply to endless such PM's as well as do their modding duties, sorry.

Poke

I shall kill you all!
    Years
    Well the only thing we can do is hope people can be mature and do whats right. If people cant be trustworthy thats their own fault. Weve just gotta hope that the good people outweigh the bad. If not then its their own fault they can not be trusted. One day they will be caught. Lets just hope there is alot of mature people

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
    Poke said:
    Well the only thing we can do is hope people can be mature and do whats right. If people cant be trustworthy thats their own fault. Weve just gotta hope that the good people outweigh the bad. If not then its their own fault they can not be trusted. One day they will be caught. Lets just hope there is alot of mature people
    This is what I hoped could happen. But unfortunately, some of the people on these forums could care less about how immature they're being by abusing the system... *sigh*

Poke

I shall kill you all!
    Years
    Most people who abuse the system would say stuff like this (my opinion)
    Im just gonna do this because this person pissed me off. They would do it because one of the mods told them something they couldnt do so they decided it would be funny if they stirred up trouble for the mods to deal with. It is not a very valid excuse for people who do it for that reason

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
    Exactly, it's abusive, immature, and stupid. Some people have too much time on their hands.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    It's both the bad rep and the excessive good rep.
    Aside from the spamming, another problem is that ppl are being too personal regarding receiving bad rep from spammers -it's always best to ignore it. Ppl also take rep too seriously, regarding it as showing how popular they are..it's not really about that, especially since a lot of ppl abuse the system by getting their friends to give them pointless rep back and forth to boost their rep count.
    The point of rep is to enjoy the comments left by other ppl, not to use it as a popularity contest :\

NiNGi

Banned
    Years
    DF dadragonz said:
    Aside from the spamming, another problem is that ppl are being too personal regarding receiving bad rep from spammers -it's always best to ignore it. Ppl also take rep too seriously, regarding it as showing how popular they are..it's not really about that, especially since a lot of ppl abuse the system by getting their friends to give them pointless rep back and forth to boost their rep count.
    The point of rep is to enjoy the comments left by other ppl, not to use it as a popularity contest :\
    Yes indeed, but as I have already said, even though this rep system could be fun for the non abusers, there are some slightly st00pid (XD) and immature people who abuse it, and this is one of the reasons why some people have spotted some problems going on within the community (like for example the 'race to popularity' that is still going on also through the rep system).
    I remember when I was a kid... There were some videogames that we played (I think it was the NES XD) and it was fun to play, but then, when 'someone' (my brother) started abusing it by playing it too much, my mum had to remove it for both of us... that may have seemed unfair to me, but sometimes some things just have to be accepted for the benefit of others... like in this situation here on PC, the rep system is fun for itself, and i really enjoyed it, but there are some people that abuse it, and trust me, those people are many and i know many of them... If we must ban rep doesnt mean we are enjoying it, but it just means that there are some stoopid people who want to ruin all the fun by being immature, and in this case they leave us no choice... and I think if 'mature people' are really mature they should accept the ban of rep as it is, and even though we may not like it, its for the benefit of the community itself....
    ~Again, just an opinion... and I would accept the ban of rep if necessary... please take it into consideration.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    DF dadragonz said:
    I would have to disagree :shocked:

Lets just return to the definition of reputation for a sec.
    Dictionary website XD said:
    rep?u?ta?tion P Pronunciation Key (rpy-tshn)
    n.
    1. The general estimation in which a person is held by the public.
    2. The state or situation of being held in high esteem.
    3. A specific characteristic or trait ascribed to a person or thing: a reputation for courtesy.

Its all about how people think about you. If everyone likes you, then, by definition, you have a good reputation. Likewise, if everyone hates you, then you have a bad reputation.

You can't really abuse reputation, because you are abusing opinion. Especially when considering that the worst that could happen is having a red box on your profile. Getting rid of rep is a just option, but why would you do that when people can just disable it?

So I think that rep is perfectly fine how it is. Just my opinion though

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    ..we're not talking about the dictionary definition of reputation, we're talking about the rep system on PC..two very different things
    People can have not so great reputation, and yet have high rep blocks because they pointlessly give back and forth to their friends.

Brittany

Back?
    Years
    DF dadragonz said:
    ..we're not talking about the dictionary definition of reputation, we're talking about the rep system on PC..two very different things
    People can have not so great reputation, and yet have high rep blocks because they pointlessly give back and forth to their friends.
    But what's the worst that could become of rep? It's just something for fun. And nobody really braggs about their rep either, so what seems to be the problem with it?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back