• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

REAL Reputation Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    Huh? I am a mod, and I think it's fine. o_O We're just discussing if we need to take a new approach to the reputation system, is all.

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    Kairi said:
    Okay…IMO, this whole rep issue isn't about the spreading of GOOD rep. The fact is the system is inherently flawed—either it's not used at all, or differently than ideal. Everyone uses rep in a different way. Some people like the blocks, or use it for playful compliments. I don't really mind that.

It's the negative rep. If people are spamming or flaming through it, then we have a problem. =\ As kind of said earlier, there's no "good" bad rep. That is someone is going to be upset if they get bad rep, either with a flame attached, or with no comment attached. That's just now negativity works. It's the outright flaming that's bad. And it's hard to crack down upon, because almost anyone who gets negative rep will call it flaming. We could disable comments, but that hinders good rep too. Hmm.
    That's why I suggested the only spreading around good rep option. =] I mean, recieveing bad rep is kinda hurtful. ._.

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
    This is another type of abuse. People saying stuff like "omg dis topic is teh sux im gonna get a mod!!!!!!!". I'm starting to see more and more of that. Maybe we should post something about this. You leave the decision of whether or not a thread will be closed to the higher authorities, and if you think it'll be closed, don't reply...

Off topic, but considering it occured in this thread, I had to bring it up before I forgot. xD

Kairi

The Original $staff_title
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2021
    We try to encourage leaving the posting about if a thread is valid or not to the mods. Reporting is fine, but just posting say "This should be closed" doesn't get anything done

But yeah, let's stick with rep in this topic. ^_^;

Miyu-chan

.::f l o w e r g i r l::.
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 23, 2014
    If you really think a thread should be closed PM the mod of that respective forum, or a s-mod or higher. =]

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Dec 6, 2004
    yeah.. they blow ur good reputation and usually give a comment like: Hi! and that's kinda lame :s

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    Bad rep should only be used for ppl who are very disrespectful, but ppl are now using it just because they're angry and cant handle just talking about it, or just because they feel like spamming (and in my case, because they dont like their thread being closed). I suppose just plain reporting could be used for ppl who are disrespectful, rather than having bad rep as well :\

But also, IMO, i dont like the friend groups who give eachother tons of rep to make themselves out as really popular, when really its just the same friends giving over and over..i believe rep should be earned, not just pointlessly given

IceKitten

Sneasel! Ice Beam!
    Years
    Maybe there should be some kind of log of reputation so that through the day, all the rep that has been positive or negative can be logged for the admins/praetors/s-mods/mods can check out, and if they feel it's getting abused they can delete that rep, they won't have to view each and every person's rep, cuz that would take a long time.

But I don't think you'll be able to log them, does this forum have that feature?

BigBoss

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2007
    It has happened to me (glad it was a n00b so I lost nothing) But I say screw the entire rep system altogether. it's the only fast solution I can see. Or you could have only mods give rep.

Kelsey

~-*-~-*-~-*-~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2005
    I don't understand why people are fretting over these reps. I mean, they don't make you well-liked or rich or anythign silly like that, so why must we all try to gain something that is of no value. Basically, if you have a bunch of reps it means people agree with everything you have to say. oO I almost want to disable my reps if I am going to get them for no reason at all. -_-

~Kelsey

BigBoss

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Sep 14, 2007
    Exactly, but it is causing spam now and many people with huge reps are targeted. If you just screw the entire system, things get alot better.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    If rep is completely disabled, i dont see it as a victory, i see it as a real shame..the fact that such a nice friendly system was abused so badly..but thats the way things go sometimes unfortunately..friends giving eachother pointless rep, spammers who give pointless bad rep, and those who are overly dramatic about the importance of rep have led to this..but theres no turning back now unfortunately..
    If rep does leave, we will miss you!

Cool Cr@cker

I am now Chrono Cr@cker
    Years
    Well it might be hurtful,but are well all taking this Rep System too seriously. I mean like it's a person who has a rep fo 800 or more will be made a mod????

There are some idiots in PC who say having red boxes is dam fun so gimme bad rep!
    Come on!!!!

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    ...you do realise that by doing that you're also abusing the system *sigh*

Years
    Once I got PM from someone[not giving name] about me being stupid for posting a shop for people to request things and I almost got a bad rep. It just shows how people like to abuse these kinda things and make almost everyone feel awful! If you ask me people should only give each other rep points by asking a certain person, getting the Ok, having a good reason, and people not being allowed to give bad rep is a good idea. At least that way people can encourage each other and we can all have a forum that sponsors postitive actions!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back