• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

REAL Reputation Abuse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket Executive

Criminal Mastermind
Years
  • I couldn't agree more. I just see them as a more of a problem then they are worth. They don't DO anything and for a feature that virtually does nothing they sure create alot of headaches. I mean, if they weren't an issue, there wouldn't be this thread, right?

Last edited:

NiNGi

Banned
    Years
  • Flannery said:
    Do we really need rep points anyway? It doesn`t help, its only for fun (?) and I see, makes a lot of troubles. Sorry, if I`m wrong. Rep points don`t say, how smart or how dumb you are. It won`t make you a Mod and it is just for fun. I know, some people love rep points, but I think- r.p. are not necessary.

So true! I didnt like this rep point since the beginning: there were some really cool people in PC who had few green boxes, and then pointless people only looking for popularity who had soooooo many green boxes that u could lose the count.... I would vote for rep to be banned... its pointless and unfair because people just organize themselves together on giving good/bad rep.
    Now something which was meant to be a gesture of appreciation for a post is becoming something people is fighting for.... I think its becoming a problem somehow... -_-'

Flannery

~Shippings Lover~
    Years
  • It is another thing; I can give someone bad rep points, but it can`t be rude or without a comment. But honestly, if I don`t like someone, I will always find a good reason. For example "I`m giving you a bad point, because you said, that James has blue hair. For me his hair is dark blue, not only blue". Sorry, maybe it is only my imagination, but you even don`t know, how clever people are.

NiNGi

Banned
    Years
  • In fact, what annoys me most is bad rep with no comment.... because the person who gave bad rep may have a good reason for that, but to the person who receives it with no comment it seems some kind of unfair bad rep.....
    Question to admins: Is there no option where you can set a minimum letters limit? (like in the posts which its usually 25 letters minimum).

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Rocket Executive said:
    My latest Rep. This is coming from someone who left a font 24 message talking about how lame everyone is. O_o Now tell me how this is fair for me? I don't even remember spamming in my posts that didn't at least stay somewhat in the topic as well. I've also got bad rep for NOT saying something I supposedly should have. People are just using this system idioticly and leaving bad rep for ppl not for their posts but simply because they don't like them. It's turned into a way to unchallengingly flame someone while hurting their rep at the same time for NO apparent reason. It's getting pretty bad...

thats what they said when the gave me bad rep!

Rocket Executive

Criminal Mastermind
    Years
  • It is another thing; I can give someone bad rep points, but it can`t be rude or without a comment. But honestly, if I don`t like someone, I will always find a good reason. For example "I`m giving you a bad point, because you said, that James has blue hair. For me his hair is dark blue, not only blue". Sorry, maybe it is only my imagination, but you even don`t know, how clever people are.

You see? Flannery just gave a perfect example of what people are doing all over the place. That's exactly why so many people have disabled reputation. Anyone else notice that? If I can think of reaons, and Flannery can, then OBVIOUSLY anyone else that uses their brain can too! It's just become a way to make your friends popular and insult and degrade those you don't like. I'm about to just say why can't we just give positive rep?

thats what they said when the gave me bad rep!

I'm sure we're not the only one's who have got this. Getting bad rep for no clear or comprehensive reason? Where's the fairness in that? So many bad rep points are givin out to people who don't even DESERVE it! I have really been pi**ed at some people's posts and STILL have never given even 1 bad rep point. So tell me how these people have the right to just do it as they please without any cause?

NiNGi

Banned
    Years
  • Rocket Executive said:
    I'm sure we're not the only one's who have got this. Getting bad rep for no clear or comprehensive reason? Where's the fairness in that? So many bad rep points are givin out to people who don't even DESERVE it! I have really been pi**ed at some people's posts and STILL have never given even 1 bad rep point. So tell me how these people have the right to just do it as they please without any cause?

This is soo true, in fact, since i came here on PC i have never EVER given bad rep even though I disagree to some posts...
    This thread is making me wish rep was disabled ._.'

deathbyalice

Linden
    Years
  • Somene just gave me bad rep for posting a thread about wanting a picture of Umbreon and Espeon, and didn't even say why. Some people are just so mean...

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • That's sooooo stupid.

We all should be able to see who gave us bad rep, at least, so we know who's being so stupid and nasty.

We need these members like we need a hole in the head.

Why should we have to turn rep off? What if we want to see how popular we are, see what people think of our posts? What if we want those "cool green blocks"?

Those people are forcing us to have no choice.

I normally never give out bad rep, but if I do, it's only for sensible stuff, such as really bad flaming or something offensive. And that's only in the post. Nothing for avvies or offensive signatures. Just report them. *shrugs* The people I've reported for sigs mostly I haven't because I warned them via PM it was offensive and I'd report them if they didn't at least acknowledge it.

~DP

mvtm

Years
  • I ve never seen a spammer , or whatever here . so never filled to put a bad rep by the forums.

I like the rep thingie . whatever is a nice gift and reward to deserved posters. But since things have to get a balance there too exists the bad rep, for me its ok the bad rep .It is just like the thread tittle the abuse of it.

Whats things i dont approve about it .Is giving reputations points without a previously a valid statement a.k.a reason . The reps should be annoymus imo to prevent flame wars.

As far of myself, i ve been target of bad rep. And it really pised me off... on the Peek topic just to post my pic, but then again i thought clearly an imagined why and i remembered it was because i posted some link that didnt work. So then i edited and fixed the post. But it was kind of rude.

Daegon

Friend of all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2006
    I think someone's abusing me. People are just giving me bad reps.

HellishHades

Pure Evil
    Years
  • Dark_Pikachu said:
    That's sooooo stupid.

We all should be able to see who gave us bad rep, at least, so we know who's being so stupid and nasty.

1. A gives B bad "rep points".
    2. B sees that A gave the bad points.
    3. B gives negative "rep points" to A in return.
    4. Repeat numbers 1-4.

"We need these ['rep points'] like we need a hole in the head."

Why should we have to turn rep off? What if we want to see how popular we are, see what people think of our posts? What if we want those "cool green blocks"?

You can still view how many points you have in your user CP without displaying it for everyone else, I believe.

I don't believe the points are necessary. It creates an atmospshere of competiveness and greed, which begets more competiveness and greed -- just like the numbered list.

I don't really care about these points, and I don't really think it matters whether the system is on or off. Personally, I don't care whether someone disagrees with what I post. Granted, it's nice for someone to appreciate what you are saying, but that doesn't mean you need to flaunt it about in the form of a glob of green pixels.

The system is not a judge of intelligence. The system does not judge involvement in the community. The system does not judge your popularity. The system does not show you if others hold you in high esteem. The system is dividing the community over a quite frivilous issue.

If you like your green blob of pixels, then by all means display them. But by displaying them you are removing a double-edged sword from its sheath. If others like your posts, like what you are saying then you will have your green positive blocks. But there is the reciprocal right of others to disagree with your posts, disagree with what you are saying, and give you red, negative blocks. You also have the choice to turn off the system, thereby removing any chance of displaying negative reputation. You take the risk to "reap the benefits", however pixilated they might be. But you also have choice.

Now, my rant is coming to a close. It may have struck a chord with some of you; with others, a nerve. This is my opinion, my viewpoint -- and personally, I couldn't care less if someone rewards or removes my reputation points with this post, just as any other.

Cheers,
    Hellish

Get-Low

S??xzor a.k.a Get-Low
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Dec 7, 2004
    Maybe let members see who gave bad rep?
    Then create a flame wars section to flame every son of a (indert 'female dog'slang) who gave you bad rep?
    Or just let admins and mods see who gave bad rep and then ask that person why did he/she posted the bad rep and then if it has no reason,or a stupid reason then..
    spLAsh! - chau,bye bye,sayonara,yata zee
    They're banned,Period (.)
    Thats of what i think?People are being freaking nasty in here so thats why im not so active like before,Because for what? keep giving me bad reputation? no,i wont let people insult me by the reputation system.
    Maybe admins should close pokecommunity for 3 days at least for maintance and check each member for their reputations and depending of HOW MUCH reputation the person that posted bad rep has then it gets banned or not. or maybe judge by how much warnings,I mean for example :
    1 Person gets 2 bad reps
    Person 1 : Insult here blah blah blah - Rep points (a lot)
    Person 2 : insult and blah blah bluh - rep points (almost nothing)
    like that,Then ban the person with lesser reputation than the person who received the bad one and judge by his acts too.
    I would do that,i know it sounds kind of hard to admins and mods but its for maintaining pc.
    Or maybe just disable sign ups so no more members sign in only to give bad rep...

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
  • Um, hellishhades, the only ppl who would do the A-B thing are immature. besides i like ppl seeing how much rep i have. i like the little green blocks. they're cute.

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years
  • HellishHades said:
    1. A gives B bad "rep points".
    2. B sees that A gave the bad points.
    3. B gives negative "rep points" to A in return.
    4. Repeat numbers 1-4.

"We need these ['rep points'] like we need a hole in the head."

You can still view how many points you have in your user CP without displaying it for everyone else, I believe.

I don't believe the points are necessary. It creates an atmospshere of competiveness and greed, which begets more competiveness and greed -- just like the numbered list.

I don't really care about these points, and I don't really think it matters whether the system is on or off. Personally, I don't care whether someone disagrees with what I post. Granted, it's nice for someone to appreciate what you are saying, but that doesn't mean you need to flaunt it about in the form of a glob of green pixels.

The system is not a judge of intelligence. The system does not judge involvement in the community. The system does not judge your popularity. The system does not show you if others hold you in high esteem. The system is dividing the community over a quite frivilous issue.

If you like your green blob of pixels, then by all means display them. But by displaying them you are removing a double-edged sword from its sheath. If others like your posts, like what you are saying then you will have your green positive blocks. But there is the reciprocal right of others to disagree with your posts, disagree with what you are saying, and give you red, negative blocks. You also have the choice to turn off the system, thereby removing any chance of displaying negative reputation. You take the risk to "reap the benefits", however pixilated they might be. But you also have choice.

Now, my rant is coming to a close. It may have struck a chord with some of you; with others, a nerve. This is my opinion, my viewpoint -- and personally, I couldn't care less if someone rewards or removes my reputation points with this post, just as any other.

Cheers,
    Hellish

Please note I'm quoting you because I found intrest in your words. Let me have a crack now: Though the points you made of why the reputaion point system is there is true...From all my experience with message boards as far as a situation like this is concerned... It is a popularity contest. And that's how most view/treat this rep system thing.

Board members compete over little things like most posts or the like coming to the point where everyone is in their own little groups and they treat others like dirt or act snotty towards them by flaming/bashing them and whatever they like at a constant rate. (At least that's how it was in the message board in the Megaman Outpost three years back.) Though it's already been said like a dozen times in this thread this is why people give bad reps right down to the reason that they think your name is dumb.

Yes it's immature but since no one can see the users real face and figure their whereabouts and they feel they got "status" in this or any message board/Online Game where they think in the back of their minds that they own they can do what they want for whatever reason they want.

Of course, my example doesn't expand to everyone who goes to message boards. Most just come 'cuz they wanna or are here to gather game tips/info and test their writing skills, (like me) or just wish to make new friends. But the majority of board users who are guilty of the crimes this thread pointed at them are within the reason I made earlier.

If people like/love this system I say keep it. As far as the punishment goes concering the rep system I say let us see who defaced us and with a good reason.

Many of you think I'm a bitter loser now for my words. But that's what I think...In all honesty, like others in this board, I don't really give a hoot about this system since in the back of my pessimistic mind I think of the reasons I stated in the begining of this post of why the rep system is active for just that. But of course, I won't disable my green light since I don't know how yet...Nah, I'd keep it active even if I knew how...

...Disabling it only means that I do care about what it stands for and what others think of me. And stuff like that is too bothersome to stress over...

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2011
    What hellish said about seeing who gave bad rep is right -people would just start wars with eachother, and the problem would become excessive.
    Rep, as said before, is just so ppl can say they agree with what you've written, and its nice to read the comments ppl leave ^^
    People who abuse the system know in the back of their minds that they havent earned the rep, and a lot of the time its pretty obvious when its just a circle of friends giving pointless rep -their post count in incredibly low while their rep points are incredibly high :\
    If you don't like the system you can disable your rep, and it's not "giving in", it's just showing that you don't care about what others think about you

Carlito-san

Wooo! I'm from South Park!
    Years
  • i just got bad rep because they said my spriting sucks....most people think its good.i dont think its fair,its their opinion,they didnt have to give me bad rep ffor it.luckily,it only hit me for about 7 points.probably some n00b that doesnt know good spriting when he/she sees it....

Last edited:

Brittany

Back?
    Years
  • I don't really understand this reputation ban thing. If someone gives bad rep to another person, then obviously, the person has a bad reputation.
    Even if someone doesn't like the other for an extremely dumb reason, you still can't dodge that fact.

Think about kids in school, sometimes kids are hated(or disliked, hate is waaaay too strong of a word), for trivial reasons, like what clothes they wear or something. See, one person may have a bad reputation for something dumb, but you can't dodge the fact that he/she is still hated.

The next thing I was wondering about was what if 'bad rep is the new good rep'. I was about to actually thinking of starting telling everyone to give me bad rep. But now because of this ban, I'm afraid people will get banned because they like my posts XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back