• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Reck's tile showcase

Which tileset looks like it was made with better quality?

• Tileset 1

Votes: 8 88.9%
  • Tileset 2

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    How is it some of you manage to post without constructive criticism/elaboration right after I just told another member in this thread about it?
    Seriously, some of you really need to read the rules.

Azumi, I know you didn't agree with Colorful's approach but there's no need to bring it up, it just derails this topic further.

Anyway Reck, the tree tiles are my main problem, they look too stretched/flat, and don't really fit the overhead look of pokemon.

Lots of complaints on tree tiles. I'll redo them from scrach when i get home. Also like I said I'll be posting a new pokemon center. I might add the poke mart today to...but not till i get what i have all fixed up. I'm very happy that I'm getting alot of comments.:classic:

To do list:
    -Space out the tall grass
    -Redo trees
    -make new pokecenter
    -work on dirt trail
    -work on water

:DThank you everyone. I'm glad that you all seem to like my tiles.

EDIT:
    Tiles have been updated. I added a pokemart and a house too. I have a very bad problem though... what should i make next?

Last edited:

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    The new tiles are much better. The shading seems dead on to me and the palettes fit nicely. Maybe you could work on mountain tiles next?

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    The new tiles are much better. The shading seems dead on to me and the palettes fit nicely. Maybe you could work on mountain tiles next?

Haha just what i came here to ask. Wheres a good mountain tile tutorial? By the the way... new tiles are almost here. Look at the first post in a bit.

EDIT: Okay i just added another house, a pokemon gym, and additions to the two trails.

Years
    It might just be me, but the houses don't really flow well with the rest of the tiles. Maybe replace the black outlines with something lighter? The other tiles have no black in them at all, and it gives them a nice, soft look, which the buildings are lacking. I do really like the shapes of the buildings, though. Very nice.

The new trail bends seem a little.. empty. Maybe a few more little bits of dark/light in them would help? The grass trail does have one little spot, but... it could use a tiny bit more, I think.

The new trees are wonderful. The shading is much better, the shapes are better... but, did you like- leave out a few pixels on the tops of the trees? I tried to connect them so I could see, but.. it doesn't appear to be working.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    @Kenji~
    ya. i saw that when i was making an example map. it will be fixed when have more to update. as for the lighter colors ill try some things out. ill add some more texture to the new trail peices as well. thanks for the ideas.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    Could you tell me why you think the water dosn't look like a pond? Should I make it more transparent? Should I make it a lighter blue? Should I have make it so you can see the ledge under the water? Sorry for so many questions. I just want to know more about what you see. I'm gonna work on fixing the trees and the grass when i get home. Thanks evryone for your support.

It's nothing about the water. But here...

Reck's tile showcase

What is this part? It's kinda bugging me because of the jaggy stuff...

Azumi, I know you didn't agree with Colorful's approach but there's no need to bring it up, it just derails this topic further.

I apologize.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    It's nothing about the water. But here...

Reck's tile showcase

What is this part? It's kinda bugging me because of the jaggy stuff...

I apologize.

Can't tell what your talking about so...If your talking about the brown and blue combination color that's the wall that's under water. As for the jagged place where the water and outside wall meet the reason its jagged is because wind makes small waves in lakes and causes the water to hit the side. Thanks for your feedback .:)

Last edited:

Freak A

Back !!!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2013
    yeah nice way of thinking about those tiles oh great Lord of the Reck

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    yeah nice way of thinking about those tiles oh great Lord of the Reck

I'm sure if i should take that in a good way or a bad way...

Anyway. Here's a before and after picture of the lake tiles and a pokemon center tiles. which looks better to you?

Reck's tile showcase

Freak A

Back !!!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2013
    Lake: After
    Pokemon Center : Before

well that is my opinion and i meant what i said in a good way

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I just updated.

I Added a house, worked on the water, and put new outlines on all the houses.

Please comment on the new house. I still need a tutorial for making a mountain/cave tile. I will probably add a poke lab next or mountain if i get a tutorial.

Freak A said:
    Lake: After
    Pokemon Center : Before

well that is my opinion and i meant what i said in a good way

Thanks I kept the lake tile like you said i should.:)

Kenji~ said:
    That's a little too light. The outlines should be something between black and the darkest shade of red/grey.

Yup i did that too. What do ya think of it now?

EDIT:
    Alright i just added the poke lab and cave tiles. Please rate and give me feedback.:)

Last edited:

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    (i hope im aloud to double post) Alright i just added a new house look at my first post or my sig. I really think this is one of my best ones. Please tell me what you think of it. I also made the mountain tiles look better. What to make next...any ideas?

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Hmm.. The wooden house's roof has been bugging me a bit, because of the black web of black lines.

You know how you did the window openings on the ceilings of the blue houses? Make them miniature and cover the black roof with them. It shoud fix it.

The point of that "black web of black lines" is to show shingles... putting window openings all over the roof... I don't really think that's that great of an idea... it'll clutter it up to much... but of course if i get more complaints on this I will of course make it the way you all think it should be. Thanks for your feedback though.:) What do ya think of my other tiles?

-Reck

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    I think you improved a lot since you first posted.
    I like the mountains very much, and so I do the PC and the Mart.
    Good luck with this!

A tip: Make the trees wider, so there won't be any "space" between them when they are arranged.

Kyo Wolf

HG/SS Kanto Lover
    Years
    I actually like the look of the trees as they are, makes it kinda different and uniqe from most tilesets on here. And also, Reck, the water, needs to not have such a plain square type border. You got the jagged part in the water alright, but its not a perfect square on the outside either. The way you made it it looks kinda like a manmade pool or something instead of a pond. If you dont know what I mean, you should look at some DP tiles. I mean its square shape but the border isn't exactly perfect on it. I hope you know what I mean, and I hope I'm not confusing anyone. :P

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I think you improved a lot since you first posted.
    I like the mountains very much, and so I do the PC and the Mart.
    Good luck with this!

A tip: Make the trees wider, so there won't be any "space" between them when they are arranged.

I'm glad that you think I have improved a lot. I will probably widen out the tree because like you said it's to much space in between them. (I know it will look weird in-game so I will fix it)

I actually like the look of the trees as they are, makes it kinda different and uniqe from most tilesets on here. And also, Reck, the water, needs to not have such a plain square type border. You got the jagged part in the water alright, but its not a perfect square on the outside either. The way you made it it looks kinda like a manmade pool or something instead of a pond. If you dont know what I mean, you should look at some DP tiles. I mean its square shape but the border isn't exactly perfect on it. I hope you know what I mean, and I hope I'm not confusing anyone. :P

I'll work on making the waters edge more jagged to.

I still don't know what to make next.:shocked: Thank you everyone for your support.

-Smash

Lv.86 Pixel Artist
    Years
    Window openings all over the roof, heh. :p

Im not that good at describing stuff.. I could make a quick edit to them, to show what I mean.

More crits:

Your tiles seem fitting for the D/P style, yet they need some anti-aliasing on the darker lines that stand out, or perhaps some smoothing.

The grass seems ok, except the flowers. Try to make them stand out more, instead of having them as scattered pixels.

Stones are pillowshaded, but they don't look that bad. Some texturing may work here.

Rounded windows on the green building are jagged. These need anti-aliasing as well.

I'd recommend you to check this out, if you haven't already:
    htt p://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/handmade_antialiasing.php

(Remove the space after htt)

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I love the house tiles..
    they look awesome..XD
    really...

Thanks.
    Window openings all over the roof, heh. :p

Im not that good at describing stuff.. I could make a quick edit to them, to show what I mean.

More crits:

Your tiles seem fitting for the D/P style, yet they need some anti-aliasing on the darker lines that stand out, or perhaps some smoothing.

The grass seems ok, except the flowers. Try to make them stand out more, instead of having them as scattered pixels.

Stones are pillowshaded, but they don't look that bad. Some texturing may work here.

Rounded windows on the green building are jagged. These need anti-aliasing as well.

I'd recommend you to check this out, if you haven't already:
    htt p://gas13.ru/v3/tutorials/handmade_antialiasing.php

(Remove the space after htt)

I'll keep working on them...yes i notice that with the windows to I'll try to fix it. I'm not really that good with flowers but ill try. By stones you mean the mountain tiles right? I had to use a tutorial to make those(not my strongest point). I'll keep working on these tiles before I add more thanks. Oh here are the new lake tiles.

Reck's tile showcase

what do ya think? I'm gonna work on the trees next.

Back