• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Religion and Atheism

Years
  • I claim to be a billionaire. You claim I am lying. The burden of proof is on me because I am making the affirmative claim. I must provide evidence for my claim to hold water. Likewise, if I claim "humans evolved from lesser creatures," the burden of proof is on me; I have to present evidence to substantiate that claim. Skeptics, by definition, don't need to provide evidence. Of course, being a skeptic is only useful to a point; once adequate evidence has been provided, being skeptical is just silly (for instance, if I refuse to believe there is such a thing as "electricity").

I'm no good at playing the Devil's Advocate XD Completely agree with you there.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, I'm technically religious, as I got "confirmed" into the Church of England. However, I think I was too young (14), because now I'm really starting to lose my belief. I find some of the things are just too odd to be true. For example, the universe definitely wasn't created in 7 days, and if it was, then God was simply an imbalance between matter and antimatter that caused "The Big Bang". And the fact that we're all descended from Adam and Eve is a bit freaky...I mean, who did their children reproduce with? I'll say no more on that. Also, as society evolve and adapts, some of the teachings become outdated, such as "no sex before marriage" and the like - it's become socially acceptable now, has it not?

Then again, there are some very good morals in most religions (even those extremists who stone cheaters have part of it right - you shouldn't cheat on your partner!), and I think we can all learn from them. There are still unknowns in this world (for example, how identical twins are formed), so you can't rule out some external force entirely. However, it's becoming more and more unlikely with our current scientific knowledge. Then again, The Bible was once the basis of Science (Sir Isaac Newton was trying to prove the existence of God), so who's to say a whole new explanation for the world isn't going to come round eventually? Unlikely, but possible. That pretty much sums up my attitude to "miracles" and God: Unlikely, but possible.

I don't see the point in being completely sceptical, or completely religious. Although that's mainly because I do hope to have some sort of afterlife :P It's also partly that I personally cannot provide evidence that completely disproves any set of beliefs. (We may die in 2012).

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • This is just my opinion, but I personally think that it's become almost "trendy" lately to be either agnostic, atheist, or an anti-religious advocate.

Just wanted to share something I've noticed.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    This is just my opinion, but I personally think that it's become almost "trendy" lately to be either agnostic, atheist, or an anti-religious advocate.

I agree to some extent. It does seem to be the case now that religiousness is frowned upon by the vast majority, at least in England.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • This is just my opinion, but I personally think that it's become almost "trendy" lately to be either agnostic, atheist, or an anti-religious advocate.

True this. I'm a Reform Jew and I find it frustrating that people make the assumption that since my beliefs are more based in my own interpretations, that I can't possibly be religious. Reform Judaism (and maybe even other sects to a different extent) is based in self-interpretation, whether it be literal, symbolic, or poetic, of the Torah and other texts, so why should it not be considered religious?

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being religious, the only point that it crosses the line is when you try to defame other people's religious beliefs - which is why I hate it when atheists try to tell me I'm wrong in the first place.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    This is just my opinion, but I personally think that it's become almost "trendy" lately to be either agnostic, atheist, or an anti-religious advocate.

Yeah, it does seem to be that way. As does mocking the Catholic Church (At least in my part of England).

And as for the (We may die in 2012) out of my last post...how do you know I won't get hit by a car? Some of us may die in 2012...but hopefully we won't. It's pretty doubtful that everyone will though, that's for certain.

saint paxton

Wat it do baby boo~
    Years
  • I'm not religious, but I wasn't raised with any sort of religious persuasion. I don't call myself an atheist or agnostic; I just don't really care. I'm not really a fan of select Christian beliefs/values, but I'm not anti-Christian or anti-religion. (though I'll admit that I get a little uncomfortable.) I do agree, though, with whomever said that it's almost become trendy to be an atheist/agnostic/etc. It's almost a phase (fad, even?) that teenagers go through these days. (Maybe not even "these days." It's probably been going on for a while.)
    Some people are pretty obnoxious about it, imo. Obviously, people will be the way they are, and they'll think the way they think, but some people are just so over-the-top with their opposition that it seems forced.

Hyperion09

fancy pretentious words
    Years
  • And as for the (We may die in 2012) out of my last post...how do you know I won't get hit by a car? Some of us may die in 2012...but hopefully we won't. It's pretty doubtful that everyone will though, that's for certain.

You know just as well as I do that you were referring to the Dec 2012 "apocalypse".

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Haha, the funny thing is that that was how I was originally meaning it to be read when I typed it. But by the time I'd done some other stuff before clicking "Post Reply" I decided that wasn't how I meant it, but it would probably be how people read it.

Basically, you're too cynical :P

And there can't possibly be an apocalypse just because I've turned 18, can there? I'm not that evil

thorn96

Fool! I am the weasel!
    Years
  • I don't know whether to call myself agnostic or atheist. I generally disagree with religion, but I sort of don't really care. I just hate people who use their faith as an excuse to be an ass.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I'm not really an Atheist, I just don't believe in that being religious shim-sham. I consider myself as a Humanist Roman Catholic. I just believe that there is a God and I fear him.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014
    Atheism is an acceptable, perfectly normal way of living your life. Your reasons for being one are your own, and you don't have to convince me why. Every religion has it's differences, and I'm glad you found one that you support.

Everyone's different, and everyone has different viewpoints and beliefs. Pushing your religion on other people isn't fine, and I highly dislike anyone who tries to convert me from Wicca to something "normal" (as someone said in the past) like Christianity. We're all blessed with free thought. Don't rob someone of it.

I just hate people who use their faith as an excuse to be an ass.
    This pisses me off too. :/

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    [minor racism ]You mean like terrorists? [/ minor racism]

I hate the extremists among every religion. By that, I do not mean The Pope (heck, he even said condoms might be good, which is a big step forward). I mean the people assume all other religions are ****. I don't mind if people disbelieve other religions, but believing they must aggressively launch their religion on you is too far. In fact, it's annoyed me so much that I now ignore the Jahova's Witnesses (They're not aggressive, but the same guys have tried to convert me four times, despite my insistence that, due to surgery having saved me a great deal of pain and trouble [twice], and also probably stopping a minor cut to my head becoming more damaging, that I'm happy to go to hospitals instead of praying).

Just a random question though, what is "Wicca"? I haven't heard of it, but then again you said it wasn't one of the "normal" religions. Still, what is it?

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014

Just a random question though, what is "Wicca"? I haven't heard of it, but then again you said it wasn't one of the "normal" religions. Still, what is it?
    By "normal", I meant it's not like Christianity or one of the more common ones. Someone a few years back told me that my religion wasn't normal. :P

Anyway, Wicca is a Pagan religion, a form of modern witchcraft.

People typically flag Paganism as "evil" and that we're in the league with Satan, but that's not true. We don't associate ourselves with Satan. In fact, we don't even believe in him. :D

Rich Boy Rob

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016

By "normal", I meant it's not like Christianity or one of the more common ones. Someone a few years back told me that my religion wasn't normal. :P

Anyway, Wicca is a Pagan religion, a form of modern witchcraft.

People typically flag Paganism as "evil" and that we're in the league with Satan, but that's not true. We don't associate ourselves with Satan. In fact, we don't even believe in him. :D

I think the reason it isn't seen as "normal" is because it was only really devised in the last 20 years or so. It's essentially the American cousin of our Druidism in my opinion. They're both pagan religions that essentially worship nature, albeit in slightly different ways.
    I've never heard anyone say paganism is "evil" though o_O

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    You've never heard that paganism is evil? C'mon, what do you think the Crusades were about. Sure, Islam technically would be classed as a "normal" religion now, but back then they thought they were reclaiming the holy land from the "pagans".

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • Atheism is an acceptable, perfectly normal way of living your life. Your reasons for being one are your own, and you don't have to convince me why. Every religion has it's differences, and I'm glad you found one that you support.

While I agree with your sentiments, atheism is not a religion and can't be treated as such. An atheist is one who disbelieves in any (and all) deities; to treat atheism as a religion means to say that atheism - like all other religions - has the burden of proof (that is, to say atheism is "putting forward" a theological idea). This is of course untrue, since atheism is merely rejection of all gods.

Corvidae said:
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with being religious, the only point that it crosses the line is when you try to defame other people's religious beliefs - which is why I hate it when atheists try to tell me I'm wrong in the first place.

One thing that's always fascinated me is the fact that in most societies today, religious beliefs - above all others - are untouchable. That is, it's impolite or immoral to question or defame one's religious beliefs. If I can question or defame your political beliefs, why can't I do the same to your religious ones? What is this 'line' that I'd be crossing?

If a belief involves something magical or transcendent, does that belief become anymore sacred or valuable? The answer to this seems to be 'yes', but why?

Rich Boy Rob

Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    You've never heard that paganism is evil? C'mon, what do you think the Crusades were about. Sure, Islam technically would be classed as a "normal" religion now, but back then they thought they were reclaiming the holy land from the "pagans".
    I meant nowadays, not 500 years ago...
    Besides, the definition of Pagan has changed in recent years; it used to mean non-Christian, now it only really covers Druidism and the like.

Years
  • Same, I haven't heard of paganism being called "evil" nowadays, and the term itself isn't used much anymore, which is a good thing- normally it carries a negative connotation. :/

Back