• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request a Moveset / Simple Q&A / Breeding Questions

S+M staff are great

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Maybe

• Total voters

holdmykidney

Riddled with pokerus
    Years
    i hope someone can help. I'm really confused about EV training in HeartGold.

I read all the guides that say for every 4 EVs you collect, the Poke should get an extra +1 stat when it levels up.

However, based on my maths, I only ever seem to get +1 stat for every 8 EVs.

For example I have a Lv28 Magnemite which has only ever battled Psyduck and Golduck. For level 26>27 it battled 8 Psyduck and got +5 to Sp. Atk (this is using the macho brace AND infected with pokerus, so I count 4 EVs per KO). However it then battled a further 8 psyduck but only got +2 when it levelled up. I take this to mean that its Sp. Atk is "full".

However, it has therefore maxed at 91 in its Sp. Atk. Given that it is level 28 and its Sp. Atk is its beneficial nature that doesn't seem nearly enough.

This is not the only Pokemon I've been having this problem with. No matter how I do the maths I only ever gain 1 stat increase for every 8 EVs.

Can someone clarify where I'm going wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
    Well don't worry, you are EV training fine, the effect of EV training shows when you're level 100.

holdmykidney

Riddled with pokerus
    Years
    Well don't worry, you are EV training fine, the effect of EV training shows when you're level 100.

ah, okay. cheers.

My other confusion is IVs. Are IVs the same as natures or separate?

I presume that two pokes with 120 Attack will both have the same attack? One of the guides I read seemed to suggest that the effect of IVs was hidden, i.e. that even though both say 120 one may actually have more power than the other due to IVs? That would be weird and annoying.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

No, IVs are totally different than Natures. They are invisible numbers, but they affect the stats in a way that can be clearly seen. For instance, a Pokemon with a max Attack IV may have 120 Attack, but a Pokemon with a slightly lower Attack IV may have 118 Attack.

If you know your Pokemon's EVs, you can figure out their IVs as well.

holdmykidney

Riddled with pokerus
    Years

No, IVs are totally different than Natures. They are invisible numbers, but they affect the stats in a way that can be clearly seen. For instance, a Pokemon with a max Attack IV may have 120 Attack, but a Pokemon with a slightly lower Attack IV may have 118 Attack.

If you know your Pokemon's EVs, you can figure out their IVs as well.

cheers that's really helpful

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
    I'm trying to pair together Tyranitar and Aggron together on a OU Doubles (6 pokemon allowed) Trick Room team. The idea is that Togekiss and Bronzong come out at the beginning with the standard Trick Room+Follow Me Combo, then Tyranitar and Aggron come in, with Tar boosting Aggron's special defense and the two of them can then rip through teams together.

What I currently have is Mixed Tar (252 HP/ 80 ATK/ 176 SPA @ Quiet) with Dark Pulse, Ice Beam, Flamethrower, and Superpower and Aggron (252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 4 SpD @ Brave) with Head Smash, Aqua Tail, Low Kick, and Magnet Rise.

I want to know if I should change around any move combos to make this more effective, and what I can use for secondary support other than Dusknoir, which I'm using as a secondary Trick Room user.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    Magnet Rise is a bad idea imo, you waste 1 turn of Trick Room which means you only have 3 turns then to sweep, I would put Double-Edge, a base 120 attack with no recoil damage and good accuracy can never be a bad thing right?

Also, you could use Earthquake and not Superpower if you wanted to. That way your Atk and Def wont get lowered each turn. And its not like blissey is gonna be switching in anyway with a rampaging AGGRON on the loose.

edit: my own question:

I know its outdated and such, but what does/did CB Pert help out? Like what did it support well etc? Also why does my stomach hurt? :(

Last edited:

Garrabutártulo

A wild Garrabutártulo appears!
    Years
    Also why does my stomach hurt? :(

Maybe you ate too much or just something that wasn't good for you. It'll make it's way out of your body, don't worry ;)

What do you think about this moveset for Dewgong in a NU rain dance team?

Dewgong
    Hidration
    Impish or careful nature? Holding damp rock
    EVs (I'm not really good at splitting EVs so I'll thank any help) maybe 252HP 16Atk 120Def 120Sp Def??

Acua Jet
    Ice Shard
    Rest
    Rain Dance

My idea was to make it a wall that can also absorb status conditions (thanks to rest and hidration) and has priority moves so it can finish some weakened pokémon. Do you think it would work?

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

Your set is pretty much the same as the one on Smogon.

Dewgong @Damp Rock/Leftovers
    Calm/Careful Nature
    Hydration
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef

-Rain Dance
    -Encore
    -Surf/Aqua Jet
    -Rest

Garrabutártulo

Years
    mmm that's not what I was asking for...

Ok, that set looks like mine, but they are different. What I was asking was if I should change those EVs, if it could work well (as I explained before) and if Impish nature could work well on that set.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

Stick with Careful/Calm. Dewgong attracts more Special Attacks since most Grass/Electric attacks are special and the special Sweepers in NU are more threatening than the physical sweepers so Max SDef EVs will do you more good than splitting the EVs.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

What do you mean? Careful decreases Special Attack, not Attack.

Garrabutártulo

Years
    sorry, I made a translation mistake ;)

Remember, I'm from Spain, so I have to translate all the natures, items, abilities, attacks... into spanish

scizor007

Vengeance
    Years

What you really need is 3 Pokemon to make this work. Try this:

Lead with

Bronzong @Occa Berry
    Brave Nature
    Levitate
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def

-Trick Room
    -Explosion
    -Gyro Ball
    -Earthquake

Togekiss @Lum Berry
    Sassy Nature
    252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef

-Follow Me
    -Protect
    -Air Slash
    -Reflect/Roost

Use Trick Room and Follow Me on the first turn, then Explosion and Protect on the second.

After that, bring in your Belly Drummer.

Snorlax @Sitrus Berry
    Brave Nature
    Thick Fat
    252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpDef

-Belly Drum
    -Return
    -Earthquake
    -Rock Slide

Snorlax is the slowest Belly Drummer and will virtually always go first during Trick Room. It's very sturdy and will survive long enough to use Belly Drum and heal instantly with Sitrus Berry when it's at half health. Return is for STAB, Earthquake and Rock Slide hit both opponents.

Um,I know this combo works 99.9% of the time,but inspite of all these efforts,
    you get only 2 turns of snorlax's RAMPAGE....isn't that a waste of trick room( and also a bronzong).

I usually use this-

Snorlax(natures&evs r the same)

Belly drum
    Earthquake
    Rock slide/Shadow ball(for ROTOMS&ghosts)
    Return

Mr.Mime(Hasty nature)-252 sp& def

Follow me
    Protect
    Psychic
    Trick room

Belly drum + follow me

Mimey usually faints..
    If it doesn't,I use TR + snorlax RAMPAGE

If it does,
    I bring out any FAST trick roomer( alakazam's good)..

TR + EQ

The TR-er faints

I bring out either of the 2

Bronzong(levi)-Brave-252 att&hp

Gyro ball
    Psychic
    Explosion
    Earthquake

The last 2 r used if snorlax faints..

Dragonite -Brave-252 att&sp def

Ice punch
    Dragon claw
    Fire punch
    Aerial ace

It counters snorlax's wknesses as well as ones with levitates,and also bronzongs.

I know I sacrifice 2 pokmn early, but then the others simply R.I.P opponents..

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

2 turns is enough assuming it's a 4 vs 4 battle and Explosion takes out at least 1 opponent.

Your strategy won't work well because Mr. Mime is too frail to use both Follow Me and Trick Room. If you use Follow Me and Mr. Mime faints from the double Attack, Snorlax will be vulnerable the next turn because you don't have Trick Room up so it won't be able to attack before your opponents.

Psychic is a terrible move to give Bronzong.
    Dragonite doesn't even belong on the team since it's not slow enough and its moves aren't that strong.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years

You shouldn't.

Hypnosis + Dream Eater isn't a good combo. Hypnosis is very inaccurate and even when it does it, your opponent will just switch out to a non-sleeping Pokemon meaning you can't use Dream Eater.

Yanmega should be focusing on hitting the opponent with Special Attacks like Bug Buzz and Air Slash, not putting them to sleep. There are better moves for that (Sleep Powder, Spore).

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
    rate my gardevoir / gallade duo

since i love gardevoir and gallade i decided to make a duo for fun, please rate them:

gallade:

lvl 100

i got lazy for evs so i just used 10 of all the vitimins (except for the sp,attk one) and dumped the last 52 into attack and the last 4 into speed on magicarp because i was lazy.

it has an adamant nature (i purely breed it for that)

my move set is:

psycho cut
    brick break
    stone edge (counters flying =) )
    reflect (because it and gardevoir have rather low defence)

========
    gardevoir:

lvl 100

maxed out its sp attack evs and put the rest into defence, sp defence and hp .

i breed it to have a modest nature.

move set-

psychic
    thunderbolt (also counters galades flying weakness)
    shadow ball (helps against ghosts)
    light screen (since this is the slower of the two and they have more sp defence than defence i deceided to give light screen to this one where its less crutial to get it in quickly.

just rate it, im not a person who freaks out if i get a few evs messed up so dont try to convince me to re make them because its a pain in the butt, move sugjestions are the only help i need.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I've been thinking about a Battle Tower somewhat Baton Pass chain team which hopefully could work out well. Could I get suggestions?

Uxie @ Light Clay
    Pressure // Bold
    252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
    - Reflect
    - Light Screen
    - Memento
    - Flash/Psychic

Gliscor @ Leftovers
    Sand Veil // Jolly/Timid
    252 HP / 216 Spe / 40 Def
    - Swords Dance
    - Agility/Double Team
    - Baton Pass
    - Roost/Earthquake/Aerial Ace

Lucario @ Life Orb/Expert Belt
    Steadfast // Adamant
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
    - Close Combat
    - Extremespeed
    - Crunch
    - Ice Punch/Stone Edge

Simple strategy here. Uxie gies in first to set up dual screens and memento, because nothing really takes a hit after dual screens and memento. Gliscor sets up the swords dance and agility/double team to give Lucario some power and evasiveness. Lucario's moveset is for the best physical coverage in the game.

Back