• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Request an Individual Move Set Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Rhyperior runs a tank set mostly, so for the newly bred one use the following:

Rhyperior@Leftovers
    Impish
    252HP/252Def/6Att
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Megahorn/Avalanche
    Stealth Rock/Roar/Substitute

For the adamant one, a set-up variant would be best:

Rhyperior@Life Orb/Leftovers
    Adamant
    252Att/252Spd/6SpDef
    Swords Dance/Agility
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Megahorn/Avalanche/Ice Fang

The SD variant is only really worth using if you can get speed passes onto it. RP is the way to go.

Paladin, Poisin Jab sucks on him :| and have you actually looked at it's statline? Because I can't remember the last time a poke with base 55 SpAtt used thunderbolt.

Thanks a lot for that. I may start coming in here quite often for help with my Re-EV Training ;D

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2014
    Gyarados @ Life Orb
    Adamant
    72 HP/252 ATK/184 SPD
    Dragon Dance
    Waterfall
    Fill the last two slots with either of these moves: Stone Edge, Ice Fang, or Earthquake. I don't know why you're using Dragon Rage, but seriously, it's just fail in a battle of level 100's.

And as said by Vance, never use a Special attack on Gyarados. It could have been used in Advance due to Gyara's physical movepool being just Physical Hidden Power+Earthquake, but now that Gyarados's physical movepool has been significantly upgraded, those special Gyara sets you see on RS Gyarados are move novelty now than ever before.
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that my Gyarados is only level 40, four levels away from learning Dragon Dance. I figured that nothing at the time was better than Dragon Rage. Okay, so replace Rage with Dance? Deviruchi, thank you for the hint on Waterfall.

Last edited:
    Years
  • King_Lucario said:
    3. The last question. Since Heracross is a physical Pokemon, what attacks should I put on it? I plan to start WiFi battling now and I need a good moveset. I already know that I should put Stone Edge on there, but what other four attacks should I put?

I've just today finished training up Hera and I nearly have all the moves necessary for the moveset I have planned:

-Close Combat
    -Megahorn
    -Stone Edge
    -Night Slash

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    I've just today finished training up Hera and I nearly have all the moves necessary for the moveset I have planned:

-Close Combat
    -Megahorn
    -Stone Edge
    -Night Slash

For a Choice sweeper it's fine, although Pursuit and Sleep talk are both fine options over night slash should you decide to use one. If you plan on using something other than Band/Scarf, use SD over the last slot.

King_Lucario

An eternal struggle...
    Years
  • So I should put these moves:

Stone Edge
    Close Combat
    Megahorn
    Swords Dance

Just clarifying. I already EVd it for a Physical Sweeper (252 Atk and Spd; 6 HP) and I don't want to restart EVing. It took too long for me because I had school..-_-

The Hero Without a Name

Da bee dee da ba mouse...
    Years
  • Well, if you're going by that EV spread, stick a Scarf on it and use this moveset:
    Megahorn
    Close Combat
    Stone Edge
    Night Slash

Also, just to make sure: does your Hera have Guts (ability)? Cause that's a large part of his usefulness

pokedude565

Can I please have a moveset for Inferno, Dialgia & Staraptor?
    Also, can someone please tell me some good items.
    Don't worry about natures and stats.
    Also, can someone please tell me three more pokemon that would be good for my team.

LethalTexture

Breeder and Battler
    Years
  • If you plan on playing competitively, you NEED to worry about natures (and in that, breeding). They're a key part of the competitive scene, and if you don't get to grips with them right from the off (similarly with EVs) then you're going to lag behind.

And Dialga is of the Uber tier, and is thus banned from standard play.

pokedude565

I didn't think about that. Well thanks anyway (second time in 10 minutes, lol).

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years
  • Which one of these would make the best lead and with what move set?
    Xatu
    Politoed
    Hitmontop
    Granbull
    Azumarill
    Girafarig

Once you've done that, could you tell me what move sets to use for the other five to balance out the lead?
    I know this is a tall order, but I'm brand new to competitive battling.

Sexycheese

Bye :)
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    Which one of these would make the best lead and with what move set?
    Xatu
    Politoed
    Hitmontop
    Granbull
    Azumarill
    Girafarig

Once you've done that, could you tell me what move sets to use for the other five to balance out the lead?
    I know this is a tall order, but I'm brand new to competitive battling.

Ok Im not going to lie but looking there none of them would make a spectacular lead, no infact they all make dreadful leads, I Think perhap[s you could use politoad to make you oppoment swithch out so I looked this moveset up on smogon....

Leftovers Sassy

Perish Song
    ~ Hypnosis
    ~ Bounce
    ~ Surf

Ev's: 240 HP / 122 Def / 140 SpD
    The long forgotten little frog returns to launch an amphibious assault of status and pseudo-status. Politoed sports a decent assortment of stats, most notably, his Base 90 HP and Special Attack, and his Special Defense of 100. Coupled with the Water-type's natural resistances and Water Absorb, Politoed can switch into many Pokemon and threaten them instantly.
    Perish Song is the main attraction of this set. It casts a pseudo-status on both Politoed and the opponent that makes both of them faint in three turns. To avoid this 100% death, most opponents shall switch out. Use this to your advantage by bombarding the field with Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock. Hypnosis shall also cause switches, as it renders a Pokemon helpless for 1-4 turns. Bounce essentially makes one of the Perish Song turns pass by while being a powerful Flying type attack with a 30% paralysis chance, which may prove necessary later on in a battle. Surf is your obligatory STAB move.
    Sassy nature allows you to function as a special wall all while maintaining Bounce's power. The EVs provided give Politoed optimum Leftovers recovery and solid defensive capabilities all around.
    As stated earlier, be sure to place entry hazards before using this for maximum efficiency.

As I said none of those pokemon are good leads but this seems to suck less, dont use this in Ou or you will get whalloped big time :)

All credit to smogon for the moveset.

devilicious

dream
    Years
  • Actually, Hitmontop is not that bad of lead if you use the Technitop variant.

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
    Technician
    Adamant
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe
    - Fake Out
    - Mach Punch
    - Close Combat
    - Bullet Punch / Pusuit

And Lyulf, that set you recommended absolutely sucks as a lead. It's only effective after you've place entry hazards.

Sexycheese

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    Actually, Hitmontop is not that bad of lead if you use the Technitop variant.

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
    Technician
    Adamant
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe
    - Fake Out
    - Mach Punch
    - Close Combat
    - Bullet Punch / Pusuit

And Lyulf, that set you recommended absolutely sucks as a lead. It's only effective after you've place entry hazards.

I know, all of those pokemon I had trouble thinking of as a lead. Yours seems quite good for UU :)

Last edited:
    Years
  • Actually, Hitmontop is not that bad of lead if you use the Technitop variant.

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
    Technician
    Adamant
    252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Spe
    - Fake Out
    - Mach Punch
    - Close Combat
    - Bullet Punch / Pursuit

It's handy to keep that alive for revenging pokemon later, with those Priority moves.

Yeah Lyulf, it's for UU. Most OU Leads would give it quite a bit of trouble. Azelf and Deoxys to be specific.

Sexycheese

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    It's handy to keep that alive for revenging pokemon later, with those Priority moves.

Yeah Lyulf, it's for UU. Most OU Leads would give it quite a bit of trouble. Azelf and Deoxys to be specific.

Yeah Personally I would Stick with a traditional Jolteon or Yanmega set for a lead in OU

FinalPaladin

役 フロンティア
    Years
  • are these good sets for porygon-z and slaks

slaking.....................................porygon-z
    choiceband...............................salacberry
    adament..................................a nature that boosts speed or special attack
    truant......................................adaptability
    atk252 spd252 def6..................spd252 spatk252 def/spdef6
    gigaimpact...............................triattack
    shadowclaw.............................psychic
    focuspunch..............................darkpulse/shadowball
    earthquake/stoneedge..............nastyplot/agility

Last edited:

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    are these good sets for porygon-z and slaks

slaking.....................................porygon-z
    choiceband...............................salacberry
    adament..................................a nature that boosts speed or special attack
    truant......................................adaptability
    atk252 spd252 def6..................spd252 spatk252 def/spdef6
    gigaimpact...............................triattack
    shadowclaw.............................psychic
    focuspunch..............................darkpulse/shadowball
    earthquake/stoneedge..............nastyplot/agility

First off, use the proper format
    Pokemon@Item
    Nature
    EV spread
    Attack 1
    Attack 2
    Attack 3
    Attack 4

All those dots do my head in :|
    Just put the sets underneath each other.

Giga Impact may seem good on slaking, but it isnt. While he can only attack every 2nd turn, he can switch out during the others whereas GI leaves him completely immobile. Focus Punch is also a poor choice to get locked into, use fire punch to take on steels. EQ over stone edge, and pursuit is usable over Shadow Claw.

Pory is too frail to pull off salac, use a Choice item or Life orb in it's place. Should you run scarf, go modest. Should you run Specs or LO, go timid. Dark pulse over shadow ball, the coverage is essentially the same but DP is generally better. NP over agility, Z doesnt beneft from agility at all. Psychic has moot coverage, and shouldn't be used on anything other than a psychic type in most cases. Go ice beam or HP fight over the top. SHould you decide to choice it, put ice beam in over the stat move and Have Fight or thunderbolt over psychic.

Milke

Chill it an' spill it.
    Years
  • Ok...I recently learned that my 30+ IVs Espeon in all stats is fail as a special sweeper. :( So what good pokemon could I get from breeding Espeon with a different pokemon?

In other words, I'd like to transfer my almost all 31 Ivs from Espeon to a different pokemon. Are there any good pokemon in Espeon's breeding group?

BTW speed is 30 on Espeon and everthing else is 31 :D

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Ok...I recently learned that my 30+ IVs Espeon in all stats is fail as a special sweeper. :( So what good pokemon could I get from breeding Espeon with a different pokemon?

In other words, I'd like to transfer my almost all 31 Ivs from Espeon to a different pokemon. Are there any good pokemon in Espeon's breeding group?

BTW speed is 30 on Espeon and everthing else is 31 :D

https://www.serebii.net/pokedex-dp/196.shtml

Bottom of the page, list of all compatable partners. I didnt look through it all, but i did see the likes of lucario and weavile.

Years
    • Seen Feb 10, 2014
    Should I replace
    Haunter
    Shadow Ball
    Night Shade
    Dark Pulse
    Confuse Ray

With

Dialga
    Dragon Claw
    Ancientpower