• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chalifoux

:: Certified Granblue Fantasy Nerd ::
Years
  • 1. That could be good if you could pull it off. JNathan and I didn't manage to succeed with New World, and it seems that Naruto-based RPs are doomed from the start - probably because people tend (unknowingly) to make OP characters with no room for growth. Still, if you do this good luck and I will quite possibly join.

2. Personally, I think this would be way to complex.

3. Whilst I haven't had anything much to do with the franchise for a long time I think this idea does have a bit of potential... although due to the nature of the game some posts would go on forever, which could turnpeople off of joining.

To further expand upon this.

1. As Magic Fox stated in a previous instance, it's also about how the plot should be handled. Read as "the Missions". What would they be about? How easy is "too easy" and how difficult is "very difficult"? Besides, it would require someone who eats, breathes and poops imagination to actually come up with as many missions as there are in Naruto... Even the ones that are very dull. :P

2. Potato. I dunno man. I could work, it just sounds... complicated xD

3. Ah! Yu-Gi-Oh! I've been wanting someone to do one of those already x3 There was actually a very successful one a while ago (Yes, I stalk previous RPs that much)! Unfortunately it never got around finishing :< *sob, sob, snort* Again, if it can be pulled out, by all means go ahead!

Although, if I'm honest, the idea of going to a school that only teaches how to play with paper-ish rectangles and PE is not very appealing for me o.O But that's just a personal point of view xD HOWEVER, and on a more serious note! You need someone who is savvy in all matters Yu-Gi-Oh! and knows what the no-noes of the game and RP should be and stuffs in order to ensure it actually working and stuffy stuffs! *discretely points towards the people in the Yu-Gi-Oh fanclub* Also as GP just said, you should avoid the typical twenty episode long duels happening, cause they would get very tedious...

Kranic

What did you say about my hair
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    The modern meta of yugioh is actually really quick, since most decks revolve around getting certain cards out that can guarantee them the game as fast as possible. Imagine pulling out 3 blue eyes white dragons on your first turn, except a lot worse.

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
    Years
  • You both make very valid points. Again, I may or may not be making these roleplays, but I'll definitely try at least one of them.

About the whole empire thing, that was just a passing idea. I've been playing a lot of Risk recently.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
  • I...I don't even...what? gimme...why is this happening? Why are people throwing things we don't know about into the air and why am I apparently being referenced in ways I don't understand? I'm scared *Huddles in corner*

Try to remember. There was once somebody called a Handsome, erratic knight.

There seems to be tons of posts here on franchises I don't even know about. So I'll stay quite for some time.

- TB Signing off

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
    Years
  • Try to remember. There was once somebody called a Handsome, erratic knight.

There seems to be tons of posts here on franchises I don't even know about. So I'll stay quite for some time.

- TB Signing off

It wasn't "Erratic" it was "Errant" >.< Because he's lazy and never around.

Nonetheless though it's nice to be noticed, almost all of the people I RP with have things that stand out about them to me. But I'm not "The..." anything, I feel like I just fade into the background except for when I get obsessive inspiration and spend 5 hours nonstop doing a whole huge post at once in the middle of the night...getting no sleep...because I'm dumb.

Last edited:

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
  • It wasn't "Erratic" it was "Errant" >.< Because he's lazy and never around.

Nonetheless though it's nice to be noticed, almost all of the people I RP with have things that stand out about them to me. I feel like I just fade into the background except for when I get obsessive inspiration and spend 5 hours nonstop doing a whole huge post at once in the middle of the night...getting no sleep...because I'm dumb.

Anyway, sorry if you feel insulted or anything like that.

- TD Signing off

Last edited:

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
    Years
  • Anyway, sorry if you feel insulted or anything like that.

- TD Signing off

Noooo I'm pretty hard to offend, I was just very confoozled and kerfuffled

Also I got the words "Erratic" and "Erotic" confused so all I could hear was George Takei saying "Ohhhhhh myyy...."

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hey guys! Chili here, i changed my name from ChiliDawgs over to this name just so yall know and dot get all mixed up :3
    Very nice new name!

I am of the opinion that anything can be made into a working forum RP. Some franchises are just a bit more difficult to find the right pace, plot and mechanics for than others. (hrrm, homestuck ;;)

A Naruto RP sounds like it could be really fun, but for some reason they do tend to die here. I wonder why; I was never part of one since I'm not at all that familiar with the Naruto universe. Maybe it is the reasons you guys stated above.

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    If I was in a Naruto RP I'd make my character into a complete newbie and have her grow strong. You know... the life of a ninja makes you strong >.>
    And there's tons of possibilities in terms of missions and villains and stuff :|

And well, I'm gonna start working on that Devil Survivor RP and post is soon *-*

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • I want to say Naruto RPs die because the first thing I think of when I think of Naruto is rapid, dramatic deus ex machinas and... not-very-tastefully handled fanservice.

Neither of which translate well to RP. I guess that's a problem with a lot of animes trying to become RPs. They tend to take it easy with the whole consistency thing.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    Maybe Skymin or Magic Fox can answer this, but what exactly does "Best Character Developer" mean. I'm taking as one of two ways and I would like to know which why is correct or if there is a correct option.

A) A "developer" is someone who makes/comes up with things, so someone who makes really good characters (period)?

Or B) Someone is really good at developing their character throughout the RP?

Reactions: SV

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    I did catch of talk about a yu-gi-oh rp up there, and I do have to say that would be hard to do UNLESS you have an online dueling service to go off of. Pretty much if you do have a yu-gi-oh rp you would have to use a service like Duel Network and in rp set what cards are in your deck and also to make notes when you do take out various cards for other cards. With Duel Network you would actually play a real duel against someone and could take down notes as to what cards are used to get in a IC post. That's just my suggestion otherwise you're going to have ridiculous draws from some players that may power play.

Years
    • Age 31
    • AU
    • Seen Feb 18, 2023
    Maybe Skymin or Magic Fox can answer this, but what exactly does "Best Character Developer" mean. I'm taking as one of two ways and I would like to know which why is correct or if there is a correct option.

A) A "developer" is someone who makes/comes up with things, so someone who makes really good characters (period)?

Or B) Someone is really good at developing their character throughout the RP?
    hmmm... uh i'd say the inbetween? able to come up with a good character and develop it well?? a combination of the two???????? something like that. d:

if the person you vote for is swaying one of the two, maybe think about who is better at what. if that makes sense.

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
    Years
  • I did catch of talk about a yu-gi-oh rp up there, and I do have to say that would be hard to do UNLESS you have an online dueling service to go off of. Pretty much if you do have a yu-gi-oh rp you would have to use a service like Duel Network and in rp set what cards are in your deck and also to make notes when you do take out various cards for other cards. With Duel Network you would actually play a real duel against someone and could take down notes as to what cards are used to get in a IC post. That's just my suggestion otherwise you're going to have ridiculous draws from some players that may power play.

Quite an excellent idea! I will definitely keep that in mind.

On the topic, what if it was kind of like a Duel Monster Gijinka type thing. Like that one episode early in Yu-Gi-Oh where Joey was the Flame Swordsman and Yugi was the Dark Magician, but it's a monster of your choice. The stronger the monster, the longer/better your SU would have to be. No God Cards, or anything really that would make you OP.

Kranic

What did you say about my hair
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2014
    Quite an excellent idea! I will definitely keep that in mind.

On the topic, what if it was kind of like a Duel Monster Gijinka type thing. Like that one episode early in Yu-Gi-Oh where Joey was the Flame Swordsman and Yugi was the Dark Magician, but it's a monster of your choice. The stronger the monster, the longer/better your SU would have to be. No God Cards, or anything really that would make you OP.

A roleplay using the cards are characters could actually be fun. I know yugioh tries to add some lore to their archetypes (with some contradictions, but that's no problem) developing a roleplay with a duel mosnter universe would kind of be cool.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    As to lore, yeah it works. If you look up errata for cards such as Gagagigo then you find a whole universe around him being a reptile who seeks justice, first serving as Eria the Water Charmer's familiar and from there an entire storyline develops whee he follows the path of evil and cards that are released subsequently continue his storyline.

Something like that in the duel monster's world isn't that hard to work up I would imagine. If you had players start out as simple monsters and then as they explore they would gain artifacts that would give them great powers (I.E. equipment cards in the official game) then I could see it working out fine.

The only problem with such rp would be deciding whether the monsters would be judged via attack points in this rp. For instance, what if someone choses a warrior type monster who only has a 1000 attack points yet says via their SU that this certain person has been training for a long time or such. It'll be up to the GM as to how the system works, but having it either be a monster universe rp or a typical yugioh rp works fine either way for me.

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
    Years
  • I think I might go through with that idea. I like the whole "Upgrade yourself" mechanic," Greiger.

I'm thinking fusion between players may occur, although tuning and XYZ will have no power, seeing as I'm slightly opposed to them. (I'm a bit old school.)

I've decided that this idea will definitely go through.

Greiger

A mad mind... hehe
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    True, Snychro and XYZ are a bit powerful. That won't cause too many problems after all, seeing as there are plenty of cards from before that time that work perfectly well on their own. The only problem left would be to decide how monster effects work. Cards such as Marshmallon seem easy enough, they just can't die from other monsters attacking them, but how does, say, Neo Spacian Air Hummingbird work with his effect? Or will he simply not have one? Such things have to be considered, but yet again if it becomes too complicated you can simply go for an academy type rp.

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
    Years
  • I suppose that is a valid point. A lot of monsters like that have that sort of effect, like Morphing Jar or other such cards that revolve around hands, since those don't exist. But there's always monsters like Newdoria or Man Eater Bug whose effects can still work out. It's a debatable topic.

Nate

Evil Cute Thing
    Years
  • Did I catch something up there about.... Demons? Haha

Anyways now I would like to press forward just a few of my ideas... i know right I try and fail but this time things are different.

1 not sure how this relates to whatever dementia was talking about further up, but an rp basically about a world that's split into 4 factions, angels, demons, elves, and beasts. Each faction would include three races, each having an individual skill, (thus if the rp were to start there would be in total 12 or 24 spaces depending if it gets a lot of favor from the community) angels and demons won't be overpowered as you would imagine of course. Likewise, each faction will be skilled in a certain aspect, much to be discussed later, and each race will have their own unique perception of that faction. All in all, the plot will follow simply, as I will randomly select one ruler for each faction, which will allow people to act as gm in their specific faction, and play it out like war, wether you be allies, or enemies against the oncoming demon empire. In sense it won't be me the gm deciding the actions of war, it shall be whoever is picked. Also being randomly picked means a random personality will be decided. The rest of the characters can be whatever they want from a high ranking general to a simple farm girl, (I doubt demons have farms)

What do yous think of that because I just completely forgot my second idea. :D I really want to try and make this if I get a few positive responses, feedback would be great too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back