• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scarf's Pixels

Years
    Updating to keep my dying thread alive.

As per suggestions, I did some outline work on this guy:
    Scarf's Pixels

And raised an island or two on this map to fill it out:
    Scarf's Pixels

New: Cool Trainer base with the leg from a Crush Girl, the arm from I-don't-remember, and quite a bit of scratch work.
    Scarf's Pixels

More to come soon eventually!

Last edited:

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    I recognize the right arm and torso of the FR/LG Cool Trainer, along with the Crush Girl's left leg and what looks like an R/S/E Breeder's left arm... but I really don't know about the other leg. The closest I could find is the R/S/E Camper's leg, but there are a half dozen other bare legs it could have been modified from, if it's not from scratch.

It's a nice sprite, especially for people who like cheongsams (i.e. me)... but there's one thing bothering me about it. Look at the hips under the dress.
    Scarf's Pixels

Now, look at the legs. Don't they seem a bit long and disjointed? Particularly the left leg... It doesn't really seem to flow from the hip.

Years
    I recognize the right arm and torso of the FR/LG Cool Trainer, along with the Crush Girl's left leg and what looks like an R/S/E Breeder's left arm... but I really don't know about the other leg. The closest I could find is the R/S/E Camper's leg, but there are a half dozen other bare legs it could have been modified from, if it's not from scratch.

It's a nice sprite, especially for people who like cheongsams (i.e. me)... but there's one thing bothering me about it. Look at the hips under the dress.
    Scarf's Pixels

Now, look at the legs. Don't they seem a bit long and disjointed? Particularly the left leg... It doesn't really seem to flow from the hip.
    That other leg might have once been from somewhere but I don't think anything from the original remains so I'm calling it scratched. You're right about that arm. That is definitely where I got it from now that I'm looking at the R/S/E sprites again.

I see what you mean about the legs and now I can't stop seeing it. I'm trying to learn how to scratch trainers so I started by fusing one to get my feet wet. I'll try applying more realistic anatomy to this one, but cross your fingers because I was always bad at figure drawing.

Thanks again for the input.

T3h Kaiser

Jovial Fool
    Years
    I wish I were more artistically-inclined so I could say something more meaningful, but all I can muster is "wow". Very nice stuff. Your Fakemon designs have a charmingly subdued whimsical feel about them, I really dig it.

Years
    Nice job with the shading and coloring but for the left arm it's too straight it should show at least the elbow of her arm
    That arm came right from an existing game sprite. I'll see if I can't work something out, but unless I can pull an amazing elbow out of my sleeve (haha) I'll probably leave it as is because I want to keep the arm outstretched.

Wow, Those sprites are awesome, keep up the great work, I love the flower tail pokemon
    Thanks. Great work is being kept up.

I wish I were more artistically-inclined so I could say something more meaningful, but all I can muster is "wow". Very nice stuff. Your Fakemon designs have a charmingly subdued whimsical feel about them, I really dig it.
    Thanks, and don't hold you back on the comments. You don't need a degree in art to comment. Just "that part looks funny" or "the shading looks good there but not there" is fine. Really, I'm not too picky as long as you give me a little direction about what you like/dislike.

Years
    Updating again.

Scarf's Pixels

I think I was simultaneously channeling Oddish and Chimecho when I made this. I call him Littoril and continuing with my apparent fondness for making water-types it's based on a sponge (the ocean kind, not the bath kind).

I'm a little worried that it (and some of my others) might be a little too simple. Am I crazy?

Oh, and since I was playing around with tiles, this:

Scarf's Pixels

A very basic edit combining a pokécenter and pokémart. Your one stop shop!

Feel free to C+C these and anything else.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    I wouldn't say that it's too simple, but adding some small details wouldn't hurt. Also, one of the most important aspects of a Pokemon is a memorable face, and Littoril doesn't really have it. Maybe you could add a little color to the face/lower body?

I know what you mean about worrying if it's too simplistic, though... I've been hung up on this one, trying to figure out what it needs. Sure, it'll look better a puffy, furry chest... but is that enough? It's a green rodent with a pumpkin on its tail, but that alone doesn't make it look like a Pokemon. Then again, some people try to put too many small details on their sprites, and it ends up looking too complex to be a Pokemon.

Scarf's Pixels

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
    Updating again.

Oh, and since I was playing around with tiles, this:

Scarf's Pixels

A very basic edit combining a pokécenter and pokémart. Your one stop shop!

Feel free to C+C these and anything else.

For the Pokemart and Pokecenter that's a pretty smart idea and they should do that in at least one of the cities in the next game, but will they? I doubt it
    But you did do a great job with the coloring and shading of this picture

:t354:TG

Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    These are gorgeous and very creative, you must have a lot of tenacity to have done so many. Wish I could give more of a useful evaluation, but what else can one say about excellent work?

Out of curiosity: Is Abysail based on the cephalopod Grimpoteuthis?

Years
    For the Pokemart and Pokecenter that's a pretty smart idea and they should do that in at least one of the cities in the next game, but will they? I doubt it
    But you did do a great job with the coloring and shading of this picture
    I hate to receive praise for something which is mostly someone else's work, but thanks.

Not much bad I can say besides something seems odd on Silliphone's shading. The bright shine seems a little too big...
    It probably is too large, but I imagine it to be a smooth, reflective area so I put more highlight on it.

These are gorgeous and very creative, you must have a lot of tenacity to have done so many. Wish I could give more of a useful evaluation, but what else can one say about excellent work?
    Thank you. I think if I were really tenacious I'd have twice as many sprites as I do now :3

poopnoodle said:
    Out of curiosity: Is Abysail based on the cephalopod Grimpoteuthis?
    That is without a doubt exactly what it is based on. You can probably even find the image I used for reference without much trouble.

Aaannnddd... an I-have-nothing-better-to-show update.

Scarf's Pixels

Trying to come up with my own region map style. This is some kind of abomination amalgamation of other styles plus my own touches.

Darkrailuver

I'm baaaack!
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2010
    Wow those are really good! I LOVE the fakemon! I just started spriting yesterday and I cant really shade well... But you sprites are great!

Years
    i know you`re here Arceus VS Dragon Trio,visit your channel
    Um, what?

What does this have to do with the person's map?

As for the Maps, the Cities button's are too large
    I'm not exactly sure how buttons come into it, but if you're referring to my most recent map the cities are standard size on a Gen III size map, 8x8 pixels. I've just narrowed the paths for a change. Perhaps not a good change.

Wow those are really good! I LOVE the fakemon! I just started spriting yesterday and I cant really shade well... But you sprites are great!
    Thanks. I'd like to think they were all great, but I know there are mistakes and areas I could improve on. I appreciate the encouragement, but if I had to choose I'd rather have criticism.

Okay, now for an update.
    Scarf's Pixels

I call this little electric birdy Chartail. Check the first post if you want to little blurb.

I quite like how it turned out. Except for the feet. Don't look too closely there.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    Heh, I've always had trouble with birdy feet too. The left wing looks kind of weird without any feather patterns or shapes, and the way it's shaded (along with the light spot on the head) makes the whole sprite look kind of like... wax? Small feathers tend to diffuse light in a way that you wouldn't see a bright spot like that.

All that aside, does the name Chartail come from the fact that it's used by cartographers? The concept reminds me of the Southbird from One Piece, which is used as a living compass due to the fact that it always faces south.

Years
    Haven't really had time to do much. Just some work in progress to keep my thread open.

Scarf's Pixels

An unfinished edit of a rocket grunt. Not much to say.

Scarf's Pixels

A sort of finished backsprite to my last fakemon. I'm still new to this backsprite stuff.

Scarf's Pixels

Since I was already uploading I'm throwing in this very rough outline of a turtle fakemon. At this stage it's looking like it's going to be crossed with a buoy.

And that's it for now.

Back