• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Scarf's Pixels

Years
    Yeah, okay, moving on.

. . .

Scarf's Pixels

Tada. This is probably the ugliest thing I've done yet, but since I seem to have gotten in the habit of posting unfinished work I might as well roll with it. It's a concept for an evo of one of my other fakemon. I've worked on it and changed it at least a dozen times, but I can't get it to come out right and I'm not sure if I should stick with it or scrap it and start all over again. It's also suffering from a lack of interesting detail which is why there is that random stripe.

I can already hear the "it doesn't look like a pokemon" comments, but I'm stuck as to how to make it look more like a pokemon.

Years
    Yeah, okay, moving on.

. . .

Scarf's Pixels

Tada. This is probably the ugliest thing I've done yet, but since I seem to have gotten in the habit of posting unfinished work I might as well roll with it. It's a concept for an evo of one of my other fakemon. I've worked on it and changed it at least a dozen times, but I can't get it to come out right and I'm not sure if I should stick with it or scrap it and start all over again. It's also suffering from a lack of interesting detail which is why there is that random stripe.

I can already hear the "it doesn't look like a pokemon" comments, but I'm stuck as to how to make it look more like a pokemon.

It's nicely sprited, but.. the concept needs work. Not really sure what to tell you, though. I disagree about it not looking like a pokemon. It actually kinda does... just a really boring one. No clue what kind of interesting details you could put in... maybe just somehow restructuring the body and doing something like Chesu said would be a start. Or maybe you could just drop it somewhere and wait for inspiration to strike.

The only real thing I could think is scrap the eyes and let the speakers serve as pseudo-eyes, slightly repositioning the ears to function more as "eye-stalks" like a snail or something. I don't know. XD

Years
    Somehow, Kenji's post gave me an idea for an "interesting detail".

Scarf's Pixels

How about an equalizer-like pattern?

And Chesu's post gave me an even more 'interesting detail', which expands on his 'interesting detail'. :P

You could scrap that silver ball below the mouth and add a small T.V screen like thing and add those equalizer-like pattern that Sir Chesu mentioned. IMO that would look nice, but you'd have to be way of making it cluttered. Meh. The concept and actual sprite are brilliant, but, as you know, there's a bit of a lack in detail. Great 'sprite', though!

Years
    It's nicely sprited, but.. the concept needs work. Not really sure what to tell you, though. I disagree about it not looking like a pokemon. It actually kinda does... just a really boring one. No clue what kind of interesting details you could put in... maybe just somehow restructuring the body and doing something like Chesu said would be a start. Or maybe you could just drop it somewhere and wait for inspiration to strike.

The only real thing I could think is scrap the eyes and let the speakers serve as pseudo-eyes, slightly repositioning the ears to function more as "eye-stalks" like a snail or something. I don't know. XD

Somehow, Kenji's post gave me an idea for an "interesting detail".

Scarf's Pixels

How about an equalizer-like pattern?

And Chesu's post gave me an even more 'interesting detail', which expands on his 'interesting detail'. :P

You could scrap that silver ball below the mouth and add a small T.V screen like thing and add those equalizer-like pattern that Sir Chesu mentioned. IMO that would look nice, but you'd have to be way of making it cluttered. Meh. The concept and actual sprite are brilliant, but, as you know, there's a bit of a lack in detail. Great 'sprite', though!
    Thank you all for the comments and suggestions. I'll certainly try out these ideas and will hopefully have something to show soon-ish.

ThePastaThrower

...Is adding extra meatballs..
    Years
    Yeah, okay, moving on.

. . .

Scarf's Pixels

Overall, I'd like to say that you have taken my advice very well. This one is quite odd, the sprite is actually good, but the fakemon itself needs work. Just give it lighting and blend in dark but more colorful outlines.

Anyways, fantastic work overall. I'm very glad you've taken my advice, it's not superbly common these days.

Definitely keep it up!

Years
    I took a break to clear my head of that last one and came up with this:

Scarf's Pixels

This is actually for PokemonOI's Pokemon: Malachite so it's off limits. Of course everything of mine is off limits so that really goes without saying.

Like always, I feel it's pretty good, but a little plain though I think it gives it a nice streamlined look. I spent a few hours non-stop making this so I feel I have missed something glaringly obvious because I can't really see anything I don't like about it and I always see something that bothers me.

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    I love the soft colors! The highest point of the tail is a bit small though, maybe you should cut off that short line of pixels? The spike on the tail also looks a bit shallow, it might look like it's set in deeper if you round the bottom edge.

Years
    I love the soft colors! The highest point of the tail is a bit small though, maybe you should cut off that short line of pixels? The spike on the tail also looks a bit shallow, it might look like it's set in deeper if you round the bottom edge.
    The colors were stolen from a Squirtle for the most part. And I had intended that 'spike' to be a fin. Yeah, I'll touch that up someday. :\

Anyhoo...

BIG(ger) UPDATE!

I've improved on THREE of my fakemon, edited a trainer and made another map.

I've provided the old versions so you can see the evolution, as it were.

1st
    Scarf's Pixels
    2nd
    Scarf's Pixels
    and 3rd
    Scarf's Pixels

Scarf's Pixels
    Scarf's Pixels

The old and the new.

Scarf's Pixels
    Scarf's Pixels
    Scarf's Pixels

He keeps getting smaller.

Scarf's Pixels

This is a cool trainer with the hair, scarf, left arm and colors changed.
    Another of my many works in progress.

Scarf's Pixels

A quick-ish region map based partly on the Touhoku region of, yes, you guessed it, Japan.
    The big cities roughly correspond (from east to west) to Nagano, Niigata, and Sendai.​

Years
    Amazing work, and i like, how its only a small amount of work, but its extremely high quality
    I think I've got a sizable collection going here. Thanks for the praise.

Now for some more sprites.

Scarf's Pixels
    Scarf's Pixels

This one was looking scrawny so now he's thicker looking.
    Definitely more intimidating now.

Scarf's Pixels

This is a sea turtle / buoy without a name at the moment.
    I like it. Looks all rubbery and bouncy.

Scarf's Pixels

This is an attempt to improve one of the mapping styles I'm playing with.
    Perhaps someone will recognize the landscape?

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    The turtle's lookin' good, though I don't have any ideas for a name. Mintorn's redesign is good, but its right leg is at an angle that makes it look just a bit shorter than the left. The reptile's mouth is kind of lacking depth, but aside from that I love the design, especially how eager the combination of facial expression and tail position make it look.

I DO recognize the landscape of your map, it's San Francisco Bay! What's the small location out on the sea route?

edit: Oh, and thanks for linking to my tutorials in your signature!

Years
    The turtle's lookin' good, though I don't have any ideas for a name. Mintorn's redesign is good, but its right leg is at an angle that makes it look just a bit shorter than the left. The reptile's mouth is kind of lacking depth, but aside from that I love the design, especially how eager the combination of facial expression and tail position make it look.

I DO recognize the landscape of your map, it's San Francisco Bay! What's the small location out on the sea route?

edit: Oh, and thanks for linking to my tutorials in your signature!
    I see what you're talking about with that leg. *sigh* A spriter's work is never done. I'd take any more advice on the lizard's mouth I can get. I couldn't find very good reference pictures of smiling lizards with their mouths open. Oh, and I have some names now. Baubloat for the turtle, Zardust for the lizard.

That spot out in the ocean are some rocks that you can see from San Francisco on a clear day, which is to say almost never.

You're welcome about the link. I haven't seen those "I use Chesu's tutorials" banners yet so I figured no need to wait.

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2010
    it must of taken you ages to make those fakepokemon, i cant even make a good lookin fake :(

Chesu

Boss Carrot
    Years
    I couldn't find very good reference pictures of smiling lizards with their mouths open.

You're welcome about the link. I haven't seen those "I use Chesu's tutorials" banners yet so I figured no need to wait.

Try searching for "hissing lizard" instead, or for the Geico gecko.

Spherical Ice made some banners for the tutorial thread... Yesterday or the day before, I think. They're not really your style, though.

Years
    it must of taken you ages to make those fakepokemon, i cant even make a good lookin fake :(
    Only as long as I've been coming to PC which is, what 6 months now? Wow. Time flies. But anyway. "You, too, can make good sprites!" Just keep working at it and looking at the resources, like Chesu's tutorials which are linked in my sig.

Try searching for "hissing lizard" instead, or for the Geico gecko.

Spherical Ice made some banners for the tutorial thread... Yesterday or the day before, I think. They're not really your style, though.
    Thanks for the suggestion. It hasn't quite given me what I need, but there's still a lot of food for thought, perhaps for an evolution. I think now a good looking smile is more in the eyes, which is a shame because I tried doing that already and scrapped the idea after much failure.

In any case I'll probably let it sit for a while and come back to it with a fresh perspective. I'm in the mood to just churn things out and not stop. I've got another sprite in the works at the moment, or rather a promising sprite in the works since I've got quite a few which probably won't ever see the light of day, but who knows. Maybe I'll have a hundred by next month and have jumped onto the hack wagon.

And you're right about the banners. I'm not much of a banner person. I still hope to see them around, though.

Conan Edogawa

One Truth Prevails
    Years
    I really like your fakemon but some of them seem to have been mis-shaded. For an example the shading on Siliphones head doesn't look right. The shading seems to straight and triangular. Also the dithering on Mintorns head doesn't seem to fit but its not too noticeable. Your region maps are very nicely done so no complaints there. Overall I really like your sprites.

Back