• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serena

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Why does it even matter anyways??

Considering one of the reasons May was very controversial was because they gave her a huge rack, especially for someone who was supposed to be 10 years old, that's why it matters. Besides, considering what Masamitsu Hidaka basically tastelessly admitted to in that Pokebeach interview (you know, the one where he infamously revealed that the Pokémon girls were simply and solely used for eyecandy purposes since Misty was removed from the show), it also makes things even worse as it basically means the writers haven't really learned their lesson.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Considering one of the reasons May was very controversial was because they gave her a huge rack, especially for someone who was supposed to be 10 years old, that's why it matters. Besides, considering what Masamitsu Hidaka basically tastelessly admitted to in that Pokebeach interview (you know, the one where he infamously revealed that the Pokémon girls were simply and solely used for eyecandy purposes since Misty was removed from the show), it also makes things even worse as it basically means the writers haven't really learned their lesson.

I prefer it this way !
    I was sick of everyone treating May as if she is only one who has a rack.
    I'm glad Serena took the spot from her !
    You must really hate Shauna (Hoenn) as well.
    Just think of them as Rare girls who hit puberty early .
    Japanese Anime is filled with them ! Example :Haramura Nodoka (Saki Achiga-hen) during her Elementary school days.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • I fail to see how the endowments of these characters are relevant to any of the points brought up in this thread. There is no controversy, at least of any significance. One person's definition of "huge" may not even remotely match another person's definition. All the young female characters in Pokémon are drawn similarly and have nearly identical bodies. In the Pokémon anime, a character's design has absolutely zero effect on their personality, characterization, and ambitions, which are precisely the points we are discussing in this thread.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    When I heard Childhood friend , I believe Serena will be like this girl--

Spoiler:

Because Original Ash was like this girl--

Spoiler:

I remember , Original Ash was a Narcissist , Attention-seeker , Practical Joker , Glutton ,Sarcastic , Mischievous and hothead !!!
    But Director/Writer cut those trait out in the name of maturity because they believe those Characteristic as Ash's ''Ugly Side'' .
    But those were part of Ash's character ! Not something to be cut off in name of maturity.
    I mean , Ichigo (Bleach) start off as a ''Loner wolf Bad Boy'' and He still act like a ''Loner wolf Bad Boy'' But that doesn't mean he haven't matured at all.

Serena is seem to be Shy & Passive like Mio . But She doesn't seem to have Mio's maturity or Outburst due to Ash .

Ash & Serena suppose to have the most intimate relationship due to being Chidhood Friends But So far they has the most Formal relationship .
    Its Because The Director hire bunch of Shoujo freak to write a Shouene style Kid Anime and they did what they do Best , Turning a Shouene style Kids Anime into a Shoujo style Kids Anime .

Instate off going ''Dynamic Childhood friend Chemistry'' root , Those Shoujo freak decide to go ''Notice Me Senpai'' root .
    After all , Ash is like a Cool popular Upperclassmen that is admired and loved by his underclassmen Serena who chasing after him.
    Those Shoujo freak doesn't even know that ''Notice me Senpai'' root is not suitable for a Kid Anime that doesn't have Romance as the main plot.

''Notice me Senpai'' root is only suitable for Shoujo Anime with Girl Protagonist that mainly focus on Romance..

100 Dollar bet , I can come up with better story while keeping the flashback of Ash & Serena's first meeting.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I fail to see how the endowments of these characters are relevant to any of the points brought up in this thread. There is no controversy, at least of any significance. One person's definition of "huge" may not even remotely match another person's definition. All the young female characters in Pokémon are drawn similarly and have nearly identical bodies. In the Pokémon anime, a character's design has absolutely zero effect on their personality, characterization, and ambitions, which are precisely the points we are discussing in this thread.

Trust me, when May was first introduced, heck, throughout AG, one of the biggest complaints about May's character was indeed the size of her chest, and even her fans took some exception to her chest size. Just look up past threads on SPPf, BMGf, heck, even here and you'll find some complaints about it. The controversy died down a bit late in AG, but it got even worse with DP, more specifically Masamitsu Hidaka's infamous revelation about why they did the girl swap starting with AG.

And BTW, my aunt was shocked when she learned May was 10 years old after seeing that appearance. Had she been, I don't know, Dee-Dee from Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker's age, even Ariel's age, it would have been forgivable and somewhat normal, but not her being 10. It may not be to the size of, say, the girls from Dead or Alive, but make no mistake, they definitely are far too large for someone who is supposed to be 10 years old.

And for Famon, my issue is the fact that they even gave a 10 year old a chest of that size in the first place. Personally, if it were up to me and I wrote the show, I'd either have May being much older than 10 (14 possibly) or I'd make darn certain that she doesn't HAVE a large bust in the anime. Same for Serena. The aforementioned "eyecandy" reason by Hidaka made it even worse.

And frankly, physical attributes may not guarantee how someone will turn out, but then again, considering how the characters of Love Hina and how Maron from DBZ was depicted, it does seem to carry the implication, at least, and frankly, I never liked the characterizations of LH or Maron.

As far as the topic at hand, Serena does seem to be getting some non-fangirly aspects (like slapping Ash's hand at one point), so let's wait and see, but at least she won't be like the triplets from BATB in terms of characterization (you know, basically fawning. At least the triplets were minor characters, NOT one of the main characters and thus actually need more depth.).

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • You should consider how age works in the anime, however. These people are stated to be ten years old, but it's apparent that either time moves slower in the Pokémon universe, people don't age by year, or that age isn't an actual indication of the amount of time they have lived (among some other theories of why people aren't aging). So someone ten years old in Pokémon could actually be older in the real world. But it's also a common marketing technique to use characters who look older than what they actually are, which is why really all of the main characters in Pokémon, males included, look older than what they would in the real world.

But I wouldn't consider Serena a fangirl at all. She can be overly-supportive at times, but that's how all of Ash's friends have been and she mostly shows it during Ash's Gym battles, which is understandable. Serena never seems to get mad at Ash, but that's just her personality; she rarely acts up in general, and most of the non-positive (not necessarily negative) comments are said by Bonnie.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Lets be Honest ! Mirror Serena Or Y's personality fit perfectly.
    The pure innocent Shoujo maiden in Love really doesn't suit her .
    She look much better like this--

289.jpg

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Perosnally, I actually absolutely love Serena~ I enjoy all of the cuteness that ensues with her. I really relate to her because I don't really have a goal in mind, but now that's she's found one, I'm sure I'll end up finding one as well!

I think she'll do well as a performer. I would like her to struggle with her goal as well. Maybe win her first one, then go down the Dawn path, struggling to figure out what she's doing wrong and having to improve herself.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Waiting to see this moment between Ash & Serena--

tumblr_inline_ngdokmAa001skim2t.png

Hopefully their will be Handsome Popular Guy who fall for Serena and try many way to impress her but his plan backfire on Ash's favor .
    Honestly , I prefer if Serena was treated like ''Popular girl'' that charm all guys around her and cause many ''Bizarre'' moment .
    I miss the Bizarre episode from Original Series.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Waiting to see this moment between Ash & Serena--

tumblr_inline_ngdokmAa001skim2t.png

Hopefully their will be Handsome Popular Guy who fall for Serena and try many way to impress her but his plan backfire on Ash's favor .
    Honestly , I prefer if Serena was treated like ''Popular girl'' that charm all guys around her and cause many ''Bizarre'' moment .
    I miss the Bizarre episode from Original Series.

I really love your ideas in generall, although you NEVER reply my answers :(

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    From XY040 onwards, Serena's been way more about the whole Kalos Queen goal than anything. Her interactions with Sana, the capture of Yancham, the upcoming episode with her mom, and her eventual Tripokalon debut have revolved/will revolve around mostly that. I'm hardly Serena's biggest fan, but there's more to her than what she feels for Satoshi.

How well it's all coming across is another question, though.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Why Thank you !!!
    I think Serena should catch a Slowpoke as the New ''Psyduck'' .

Thats a genious idea LOL.
    Have u seen the recent Pokemon xy movie picture? If so, what r ur speculators regarding the Pokemon seen in there?

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I really like her do u think they will finally put a touch of romance in the anime? I mean come on ash pick a girl! And theyre so perfect but ash is oblivious lol

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    There something definitely missing in Serena ! Something that all other Cast girl Had But She does .
    Something like a spark of something .

Spoiler:

I can Imagine every other Cast girl except the Real Serena in the middle spot .
    It feel like She too weak or Timid minded to be in that spot.
    May be , Its Because Her crush was Canonize too quickly ! May be She seem mentally weak against Ash due to her crush.

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
  • Serena is an interesting subject. The concept of another character from Ash's childhood hasn't been brought up since Gary Oak. When I first saw her concept, I thought, "Yep, there's gonna be a lot of shipping of this." Turns out they could potentially do something with this in that upcoming episode titled Ash and Serena's First Date. It could just be your typical "Ash is oblivious to love" episode though.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    Is there any evidence in the anime that imply that Serena has no romantic interest in Ash? All potential interest have their "bad/negative" moments (lack of a better word). Just look a the many times Misty clashed with Ash.

I ask this because I look this page: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Shipping:AmourShipping

And I see examples listed in [Character A]'s hints and [Character B]'s hints.

However, there is no section for "for" (evidence that suggest a mutual like from either party) and "against" (evidence that suggest one does not like the other and the pairing is unlikely).

Now what are the "against" for Ash and Serena?

Its kinda sad Serena's entire character revolves around wanting to be Ash's girlfriend.

There is a difference between wanting to be Ash's girlfriend and being nice to someone that you like.

However, other girls who travel with Ash and don't have that interest tend to be rude and standoffish towards him.

Last edited:

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I imagine that this is really a discussion for the shipping thread, but:

It's been shown clearly that Serena likes Satoshi, and the writers have not been subtle about that. While it hasn't been brought up in quite some time, the anime hasn't at all suggested that it's possible to read Serena's feelings any other way. Time will tell if that actually remains a part of her characterization throughout XY, but for now - unlike with Kasumi - it's really indisputable.

The one thing right now that works against this is Satoshi, and the fact that it's never been suggested that he feels any differently for Serena than any of his other friends.

Back