• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serena

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Looks like Serena really is Changing her Hair-style !!!

Spoiler:

Perosnally, I actually absolutely love Serena~ I enjoy all of the cuteness that ensues with her. I really relate to her because I don't really have a goal in mind, but now that's she's found one, I'm sure I'll end up finding one as well!

I think she'll do well as a performer. I would like her to struggle with her goal as well. Maybe win her first one, then go down the Dawn path, struggling to figure out what she's doing wrong and having to improve herself.

Honestly , I doubt if Serena nearly as Cute as the girl from your Signature & Avatar !!!

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    Looks like Serena really is Changing her Hair-style !!!

Spoiler:

Honestly , I doubt if Serena nearly as Cute as the girl from your Signature & Avatar !!!

OMGGGGG she's going to cut down her hair ???? Why would she do that?

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    OMGGGGG she's going to cut down her hair ???? Why would she do that?

May be , Goomy **** on her hair !
    Or She cut her hair as a sign of her new resolve after losing her 1st Tripothon .

Anyway , I think the main Problem with Serena's design is her Sideswept ! She look better with Bangs , Not Sideswept .
    See here-
    Spoiler:

See How she look so Well with Bangs then Sideswept .

Years
    • Seen Jun 7, 2016
    The haircut changes about nothing when it comes to the character itself. It'll look really odd for amourshipping for the first few episodes, but hopefully it'll grow on me.

If she's changing her hair, I hope she changes the main outfit as well, cause it wouldn't seem right for me if they only did the hair and left the clothes untouched.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    The haircut changes about nothing when it comes to the character itself. It'll look really odd for amourshipping for the first few episodes, but hopefully it'll grow on me.

If she's changing her hair, I hope she changes the main outfit as well, cause it wouldn't seem right for me if they only did the hair and left the clothes untouched.

I wouldn't put too much stock on that hope, as they generally don't change outfits while in the middle of a series. Then again, they don't change hairstyles in the middle of a series either, yet Serena is at the very least changing her hairstyle, which either way is still a first.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Here is a predication about Serena's new hairstyle--

Spoiler:

Hmmm , Just like I said !
    Serena's Sideswept make her look less cutter .
    She need to get ''Bangs'' in place of Sideswept .

Honestly , I prefer ''shot hair'' like--

Spoiler:

Who is she anyway ? She seem to be overwhelmingly popular !!!
    The whole Internet is filled with her picture !

Last edited:

Sir Codin

While I did find the concept of Serena being a childhood friend and a potential romantic interest for Ash to be interesting, I kinda hoped from the beginning there would be more to her than that.

I'm glad there actually is, but I'm a little irked that it really took the writers so freaking long to bring it into the light.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    While I did find the concept of Serena being a childhood friend and a potential romantic interest for Ash to be interesting, I kinda hoped from the beginning there would be more to her than that.

I'm glad there actually is, but I'm a little irked that it really took the writers so freaking long to bring it into the light.

Problem is , Serena really doesn't fit as a traveling Companion !
    She fit more as a Beautiful & Popular referring Character that has a ''Mysterious & Unknown past'' with Ash.
    As for Traveling companion , ''This Show need a ''Bulma'' (Dragonball) as Ash's traveling companion !
    Misty was the ''Bulma'' of Pokemon ! A short temper girl with the most common-sense & Rationality.
    Iris didn't fit that role because She is a ''Wild Girl' herself !
    Currently , The XY group has the most Boring and Blend chemistry .
    It might be the relationship you want in Real World But not You want in Anime.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Although this might've been discussed before on other threads , but what would Misty, May, Dawn and/or Iris think of Serena. How will they react to the relationship between Serena and Ash. What would Serena think of Misty, May, Dawn and Iris?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Although this might've been discussed before on other threads , but what would Misty, May, Dawn and/or Iris think of Serena. How will they react to the relationship between Serena and Ash. What would Serena think of Misty, May, Dawn and Iris?

I think they'll tolerate her. After all, if Misty could tolerate May who was as girly as, if not moreso than Serena (to almost ditz levels), she most certainly can tolerate Serena. And I'm also doubtful Misty will get jealous of Serena, anyways, especially when she didn't get jealous of May when they met (and remember, this was the girl who got miffed when Melody gave Ash a welcome kiss to Shamouti Island in Pokémon the Movie 2000, even when it wasn't even a flirtatious kiss at all, so if she could get miffed from that, she definitely could have gotten jealous of May at any point, yet she didn't). Serena MIGHT get jealous of Misty though, but I'm still not so certain about that. And she might look up to May and Dawn due to their having similar goals. Don't know about Iris, though. And besides, we're still not sure whether they'll even enter a relationship anyways (especially when Ash and Serena are underage anyways, and most likely wouldn't care about getting into a relationship anyways).

I know people are going to be citing the upcoming date episode regarding it being confirmed that Ash and Serena are a couple, but frankly, I'm going to take that with a grain of salt because there have been prior episodes where their Japanese titles and previews indicated something would happen that the actual episode doesn't even match up with. Take Date with Delcatty, for example. The Japanese title implied that Misty would have risked her life and nearly get herself killed, yet in the actual episode, she doesn't really do anything like that, at least not the kind like her taking poison stings for Gyarados in Cerulean Blue. There's also Luvdisc is a Many Splendored Thing, which had its previews strongly hint at Orangeshipping becoming canon, when in actuality, most if not all of that were from Daisy's overactive imagination [and the closest it ever came to actually being reality, they were under the influence of Attract by the two Luvdisc for the purposes of the water show]. I might as well also point out that the Simpsons' season premiere pulled something similar: They teased that a major character will die in the Season Premiere. However, when the actual Season Premiere aired, the only character who died was Krusty's father, and he was not a major character at all, he was at best a minor character, and at worst a background character. All I say is that you keep the horses in the stable and don't count your chickens yet regarding Serena and Ash being a couple. There may be a possibility that the date actually would be what the title implies, but given what the show's titles and previews have pointed to before, I would personally treat it as a low probability. I'm not even a Pokeshipper, yet I still think we should hold off claiming they are a couple until the episode airs, assuming it even IS what the episode title claims.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2016
    I really like Serena personality wise! She's sweet and not too over the top or bossy or anything (Iris was a bit annoying with her "you're just a little kid!1!1!1" every damn episode), I just wish they'd write a bit more for her than just wanting Ash really bad. Like please. And I hate how it took her soooo long to even bother catching anything!

22sa

ロミオとシンデレ? ?? �� �� �� �� �� �� �� ��
    Years
  • Very charming melikes.

Actually feels like a real girl this time with her honest feelings for Ash.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • totally wrote this in response to something else but it goes better here lol

I think all the girls are pretty realistic tbh but they are all v different characters. Misty was primarily fiery, brash, and tomboyish but had a romantic and traditionally feminine side to her. That was something cool to lil girls of the 90s (who mainly saw v traditionally feminine girls in media) and more appealing to the boys, who generally weren't about the "girly" stuff. Serena is like on the way opposite side, being super ultra feminine, not so sure of where she's going in life, etc. When I was little I aspired to be Misty, to have that confidence in myself and not be restricted by the femininity that I was expected to display. Now that I'm an adult, I've gotten to the point of being confident in myself and how I express myself, but not nearly sure about where my life as a whole is going. In that way I very much identify with Serena.

The conclusion I have to come to is that Misty was written as a role model, whereas Serena is written as a true protagonist. Misty is someone to aspire to be, but Serena is someone to identify with. And I do appreciate that.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    totally wrote this in response to something else but it goes better here lol

I think all the girls are pretty realistic tbh but they are all v different characters. Misty was primarily fiery, brash, and tomboyish but had a romantic and traditionally feminine side to her. That was something cool to lil girls of the 90s (who mainly saw v traditionally feminine girls in media) and more appealing to the boys, who generally weren't about the "girly" stuff. Serena is like on the way opposite side, being super ultra feminine, not so sure of where she's going in life, etc. When I was little I aspired to be Misty, to have that confidence in myself and not be restricted by the femininity that I was expected to display. Now that I'm an adult, I've gotten to the point of being confident in myself and how I express myself, but not nearly sure about where my life as a whole is going. In that way I very much identify with Serena.

The conclusion I have to come to is that Misty was written as a role model, whereas Serena is written as a true protagonist. Misty is someone to aspire to be, but Serena is someone to identify with. And I do appreciate that.

Who said protagonists can't be role models? Misty was definitely someone who people can identify with (I doubt she would be nearly as popular if people didn't identify with her in some way). Not to mention even Misty lacked some confidence in herself of where her life should go. Sure, she did have a clear goal. But other than that, even she needed help at times when she realized even her own abilities can't get her what she wants (like in Princess vs. Princess, where she needed to borrow Ash and Brock's Pokémon to get through the Princess Competition).

Besides, not all super ultra feminine characters like Serena are even protagonists. Take Claudette, Laurette, and Paulette from Disney's Beauty and the Beast, for example. Those girls were super ultra feminine in their nature, and they're not even major characters, they were in fact extremely minor characters (so minor, in fact, that they actually are in the background for most of the movie). In fact, considering they were to be contrasted against Belle regarding them falling for a handsome guy easily regardless of his true nature, they weren't even intended to be role models either (even if they came closer to true internal beauty like the likes of Snow White and Cinderella than Belle herself did in terms of characterization).

Last edited:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I'm not saying Misty isn't classed as a protagonist, but she did not have the protagonist's journey. She had some struggles, but they were not part of what moved the show along. They did not even particularly move her character along, because what she learned over time was rarely shown to have an effect on her. Serena is written to be someone we are rooting for, someone we can see grow and change, someone we can follow to a certain conclusion. Her growth is important to the story overall; Misty's wasn't.

I'm also not saying that all ultra feminine characters are protagonists. Where in the world did you get that from? All I said was that girls are generally portrayed in media as traditionally feminine. You do this a lot, you know, make arguments by twisting wording and phrasing. I don't really get why, because there's literally no point to it.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I'm not saying Misty isn't classed as a protagonist, but she did not have the protagonist's journey. She had some struggles, but they were not part of what moved the show along. They did not even particularly move her character along, because what she learned over time was rarely shown to have an effect on her. Serena is written to be someone we are rooting for, someone we can see grow and change, someone we can follow to a certain conclusion. Her growth is important to the story overall; Misty's wasn't.

I'm also not saying that all ultra feminine characters are protagonists. Where in the world did you get that from? All I said was that girls are generally portrayed in media as traditionally feminine. You do this a lot, you know, make arguments by twisting wording and phrasing. I don't really get why, because there's literally no point to it.

Maybe I should remind you that Ash, the main protagonist of the series, pretty much had his goal set from the start (he wanted to be a Pokémon Master, and it was pretty clear from the first episode that at the very least meant challenging the leagues since he was shown watching a league tournament as he was preparing for his journey), unlike Serena, who wasn't even sure for about 50 episodes. This was a character who HAD a protagonist's journey yet if we used the definition you gave, he couldn't qualify as one precisely because you cannot connect with him. Not to mention, other than possibly rankings, how exactly does Ash even seem to actually learn and grow anyways?

Misty actually did develop overtime. DBZ Fan can explain it far better than I can. She certainly developed far better than Dawn and Iris did, and in fact is praised for being 3 Dimensional in her characterization and growth, even in Japan.

And you basically implied it by claiming traditionally feminine characters are a role model and somehow not protagonists because role models, while aspiring, do not connect with the main characters, and then claiming that Serena, being a protagonist, was also ultra super feminine.

Years
    • Age 38
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    I'm not saying Misty isn't classed as a protagonist, but she did not have the protagonist's journey. She had some struggles, but they were not part of what moved the show along. They did not even particularly move her character along, because what she learned over time was rarely shown to have an effect on her. Serena is written to be someone we are rooting for, someone we can see grow and change, someone we can follow to a certain conclusion. Her growth is important to the story overall; Misty's wasn't.

I wouldn't be sure about her growth not having effect on storyline. Misty plots were goal of becoming water pokemon master, complex of feeling less worthy compared to sisters having need to justify herself in other people eyes and discover her own qualities.

Pretty unthrustful and abrasive nature as result of growing without parents and in surrounding where she was consistently downgraded and neglected. Desire to meetr asnd catch legendary water specie realizing their secrets and origins. Case of young love developed toward main protagonist and Togepi.

When it comes to Misty careeer of becoming water master and affinities there were many things left up uncleared and unfinished. So were struggles hgaunting her from past, ger fears and family.

But where most of Misty character development came was from emotional, character sense being willing to say she potentially changed most as person alongside May when it comes to girls. Reaching predispositions for deeper, more complex growth dealing with finer, more challenging tasks and issues in life making it all that more jarring how she ended forgotten and denied of continuation.

What do i mean?
    Spoiler:

Your right how Misty development and story was left un explored and open in many aspects, not beng so much surprising since she was one to break the ice. With writers at that time following different formula which was more centralized around Ash and simply lacking experience in habdling adequatelly certain things, hence resulting in less polished and content filled journey of hers.

But she was still highly relatable character showing through her imperfections, qualities, insecurities and resolves she made in life making you care, root, feel sorry and identify yourself with her character going through remarkable and very notable change as character and trainer which reflected on way chemistry between characters will play out and pokemon story as whole to extent. More than Serena so far imo who while started to have solid start didnt reached that level of complexity and dimension in her personality and emotional growth yet..
    Regardless of inconsistencies and lack of coherence in that growth which im not denying.

Back