• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Shipping Debates

Who should he date?

• Misty

Votes: 42 43.8%
  • May

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • Dawn

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • No one, Ash only likes Pokemon

Votes: 31 32.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vernikova

Banned
Years
  • I'd like a person on one thread to answer about them saying Advance will be the closest thing to canon on the show like that Nadir.

(Wait no grammer for me!)

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
    Years
  • And even that kind of joking leaves the point that THERE IS NO 4th wall. I do not wish to quote myself. We are simply debating if the writers will put such shippings here and we will NOT consider the subliminal but only the shown, and obvious, the hints we talk about are shown and do not have the accuracy to support shippings. As well as evidence that the writers may be putting them in subliminaly but that has not shown yet.

If you can't accept there isn't a 4th wall, you may as well make a bat out of nails and keep it close to your TV.
    The term "fourth wall" stems from the absence of a fourth wall on a three-walled set where the audience is viewing the production. The audience is supposed to assume there is a "fourth wall" present, even though it physically is not there. This is widely noticeable on various television programs, such as situational comedies, but the term originated in theatre, where conventional three-walled stage sets provide a more obvious "fourth wall".
    The meaning of the term "fourth wall" has been adapted to refer to the boundary between the fiction and the audience. "Fourth wall" is part of the suspension of disbelief between a fictional work and an audience. The audience will usually passively accept the presence of the fourth wall without giving it any direct thought, allowing them to enjoy the fiction as if they were observing real events. It is the invisible barrier between realities. The presence of a fourth wall is one of the best established conventions of fiction. b

In any case, how 'obvious' something is is quite subjective. Though at least when you talk about that, I assume you base it on the merit, on things that have happened, so that's a start. Except you don't get to define what the purpose of the Shipping Debates is, nor do I. In the context I'm talking about, you don't have any ground to stand on. If we're talking strictly about "what the writers would allow" then I'll grant that any pairing I've ever claimed to like will probably never happen. But as I've said before, this in no way affects the potential of a pairing or the validity of supporting it.

EDIT: Sources:
    https://theater.about.com/cs/glossary/g/bldef_4wall.htm
    https://www.allwords.com/word-fourth+wall.html
    https://www.associatedcontent.com/article/435338/what_is_the_fourth_wall_in_theater.html

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    You are relying too much on fandom. Face reality, there will be no homosexual shippings in any of this franchise, period. Now go drink your evening coffee cause I need to chill before I hit my brother.

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
    Years
  • You are relying too much on fandom. Face reality, there will be no homosexual shippings in any of this franchise, period. Now go drink your evening coffee cause I need to chill before I hit my brother.

1. How am I relying too much on fandom? Fandom falls outside of the scope of what I've been saying too. I don't rely on it much, if at all.

2. Refer to what I said just above you. Namely this bit:

If we're talking strictly about "what the writers would allow" then I'll grant that any pairing I've ever claimed to like will probably never happen. But as I've said before, this in no way affects the potential of a pairing or the validity of supporting it.

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    You really don't know when to give up, do you?

I am very speechless. Are you just too stubborn to understand reality? Do you have a mental disorientation? If you can't accept the difference between reality and fantasy, you may as well sell your TV. It should be very logical there is no 4th wall.

And why did we get into this? Homosexual shippings. I wish not to offend gays but, I am Michael Jackson if one ever becomes cannon in the anime. If you can't learn to give up when it's time, you can't learn to succeed with timing.

shedinjask

all about how to pokemoning
    Years
  • And I'll be shocked if Pearlshipping, or any main shipping excepting perhaps Pokeshipping, ever becomes canon. Why? The writers don't do that. It isn't a shojou anime we're talking about here.

I never thought a simple canon freak could cause so many problems. Whatever. *continues scouring the internet for Sacredshipping*

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I never usually come here...

Contestshipping was closest to cannon but never was quite there...I suppose there could be Dawn/Kenny no idea what that's called, lthough there's like only the tiniest of tiny hints. Pokeshipping hints were mainly put there by 4Kids

Why does the Pokemon fandom give a shipping name for everything? In Harry Potter you just said Ron/Hermione etc (Harry Potter shipping debates used to be brutal XD)

shedinjask

Years
  • Are you saying that Pokéshipping is most likely? Your reason is just illogical.

Pokéshipping is a never will.

My reason? I didn't give any, but ok. (note that I am not a Pokeshipper and would usually judge a ship based on its awesomeness, not some ******** canon factor)

From a strict 'creator's intent' view, which AK9 seems to favor, Pokeshipping is the most plausible since most people who rarely watch the anime at least remember Misty and she was the first girl and the longest with him, and the one of the mainest of the main characters, and Pokeshipping is the most popular so if they do give Ash a girlfriend/fiance/wife it's either going to be her, some non-main recurring or side character, or someone we've yet to meet. Dawn will be replaced, and possibly paired off like May was. Misty just might end up with Ash.

You can blame X-Files for the shipping names.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • You're not a rabid Pokéshipper? *relieved*

Just because the fandom likes it, doesn't mean it's going to happen. If you're trying to go by "longest-with-Ash" theorm, it woule be Brock and Ash, not Misty and Ash.

Sorry for the whole reason thing. But it's not good basing things on its awesomness, in a debate forum.

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
    Years
  • I am very speechless. Are you just too stubborn to understand reality? Do you have a mental disorientation? If you can't accept the difference between reality and fantasy, you may as well sell your TV. It should be very logical there is no 4th wall.

And why did we get into this? Homosexual shippings. I wish not to offend gays but, I am Michael Jackson if one ever becomes cannon in the anime. If you can't learn to give up when it's time, you can't learn to succeed with timing.

Let me sum up what you just said:

"I'm right because I say so."

If that's all you have, I guess I can consider this matter closed.

shedinjask

Years
  • Well the Japanese writers are well aware of Pokeshipping's popularity, that might somehow influence it. It's a valid point as the only way I can see them including romance at all is to please the fanbase, or some of it at any rate.

As I said, I was arguing against AK9 using her (his)? logic, so I excluded slash.

Let me sum up what you just said:

"I'm right because I say so."

If that's all you have, I guess I can consider this matter closed.

Yeah, let's go back to the real debating. What's your favorite ship?

Abrogate Nadir

Obscure Shipper
    Years
  • Yeah, let's go back to the real debating. What's your favorite ship?

It's hard for me to say my favorite. Advanceshipping was my old favorite, but I think Pearlshipping has caught up by now. I also support Sapphireshipping and Rayshipping. Hmm...I can't decide ;_;

But I'm open to nearly any ship. Some are just harder to *really* sell me on.

With regards to Pokeshipping, while it isn't among my favorites, I'd say this one does have a good bit of credibility. A pairing (obviously) involves two parties mutually liking one another. With Pokeshipping, it's pretty much certain that Misty feels that way about Ash. It may only be one-sided at the moment, but that's more than most other pairings have.

So while I'd also be very surprised if any pairing ever became canon, I agree that this is the most likely one to happen.

(But I still like my ships ;_;)

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I'm with Pearlshipping, like usual.

And if there is nothing to add up to the Homosexuality issue, then I guess it will not be possible then. Saying that I'm right because I say so is so wrong, it's left. I'm just stating the obvious and if there were a judge here, it would probably be in conclusion that homosexual shippings are UNpossible with the fact I take a high level English class.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2012
    As mentioned, if you talk about gay pairings as if they will happen in the limits of the show, under the impression it's controlled by writers, then no, they won't happen, unless it's a temp chara or CotD. But neither will 99.8% of the straight pairings that anyone supports. It all leads to: unlikely. Of anything.

On the flipside, if you think about the fandom in terms of it working like reality and NOT within the realms of being controlled by the writers, then any pairing goes, gay or straight, dependant on what's known about the characters in and of themselves. Conclusion: people are allowed their fun to 'ship what they want, and what they see as hints is valid in any debate (if there is anything to see; Paul/May is pretty popular for being a never-met), whether or not the Almighty Writers are intending it to mean diddly-squat.

You better start accepting which you're gonna be debating over, else anyone who argues for anything but Contestshipping is on the losing end. ...No, I'm not a Contestshipper, for the record.

And just in case:
    In the Special manga, Gracefulshipping is canon, and Originshipping has its zomg subtext. In the game-verse, most Originshippers take the interaction from there, where there's also subtext if you see it like so, but Wallace and Winona don't meet on-screen. In the anime, none have met on screen. It all adds up to this: honestly, who cares? Gracefulshipping is canon in one isolated medium, a sub of a sub, and taking just as many liberties as the anime. Two mediums (one being the overall main one) have canon interaction for Originshippers to suss out and enjoy. The anime allows for speculation only, because that's all they have.

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2009
    If the homosexual shippings for some whack and sick reason ever became canon or even real, Pokemon would probably be shown less in the US. Its hard to see them ever happening.

Yeah, let's go back to the real debating. What's your favorite ship?

Contestshipping for me. However like some of the other shippings, its hasn't actually been confirmed or fully developed. There's been the thought though.

Years
  • Yeah, let's go back to the real debating. What's your favorite ship?
    Mine is Rocketshipping. Jessie and James would make a great couple. They share excellent chemistry and their personalities balance out with one another perfectly.

I like how they filled a gap in each other's lives. Jessie found a dependable person in James who would always be there for her. She feels a sense of trust and security in James that she does not in most people. Occasionally, she is even able to expose her softer side to him.

James found someone to serve and work for in Jessie. Though she is short-tempered and aggressive, she does not seek to change him like Jessibelle. She accepts him for who he is and gives him a freedom in life that he did not have growing up. Additionally, she is able to provide him with emotional support whenever he needs it.

Furthermore, I like how Rocketshipping is a relationship in which the female is dominant and the male is submissive. I have always prefered those types of relationships over ones in which the male is dominant and the female is submissive.

I also like these pairings, but not that much:
    Diamondshipping (Giovanni x Delia)
    Carnivalshipping (Butler x Diane)
    Contestshipping (Drew x May)
    Orangeshipping (Misty x Tracey)

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
  • Recently being disillusioned with mainstream ships, Chefshipping (Brock x Harley) has climbed up to the top of my favourites list. I mean, two androgynous guys being together like husband and husband, or wife and wife, or husband/wife and wife/husband, and the ability to play on the fact that Brock will never get a girl, but instead the next closest thing, a gender-confused guy. What's not to like? Maybe the fact that it's a crack pairing, but right now I see it more entertaining than any mainstream ship, if only because it doesn't have a large and very annoying Serious Business following.

Anyways, since this is Shipping Debates, I want to point out a pet peeve of mine, which is people saying that Contestshipping is the most canon ship in Pokemon. There are ships more canon than that, like ships that are ACTUALLY canon, such as Norman x Caroline and Butler x Diane.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back