• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sick of Ash?

Should they...?

• Make Ash a less central character in the anime

Votes: 141 29.1%
  • Make a new anime series altogether

Votes: 186 38.4%
  • Keep it the same

Votes: 157 32.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ageless Irony

MANIC SPAMMER
Years
  • I think Ash should instead of just being cast out of the show all together, be made into a secondary character, while a different character takes on the role of the wannabe Pokemon Master.

Ash could fit as an Ace trainer of sorts that always seems to show up in the nick of time to save the day for our new, Rookie trainer.
    And of course you could have the cliche battle between the two at the end of the series/season

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Ash is like the main character so why? And he makes me laugh....lol

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    If it was me, I'd like a completely new series but with the old charas (but please not one of the new girls...I prefer Kasumi).
    I'm thinking about a little more mature version of Pokemon with a completely logical storyline without errors, maturing characters and a stronger and more serious Team Rocket (serious not completely evil) but still with Musashi and Kojiro (And Meowth)
    I'd like more character focussed episodes then, like in Pokemon chronicles.
    They could also make the storyline more interesting in general. I mean, it always happens the same and the end is also clear from the beginning.
    They could add a past to the main charas. Although Satoshi is the main chara, we don't know anything about his past (his father or so).
    They could make a special series which is more mature and realistic...I mean, the series surely is for kids but there are a lot of older fans out there, too...It's strange that they fight and nobody ever gets hurt seriously (except the very first episode) or at least the Pokemon...

My friend, have you read a manga called Pokemon Special before? 'Cause you just described it to a T. I really wouldn't mind a PokeSpecial anime at all, since all the charcters are so well developed. If they caqn't do that, then they should at least make an Arc based on Kenta and Marina from chronicles.

Ryusheika

Hero of Time
    Years
  • Although Ash is one of the most awesome characters in the series, I do think they need to stop focusing around him so much. They should make a few a episodes that revolve around some of the other characters such as Brock, Misty, etc. It needs to go back to the old-school days.

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    I feel that pegging Ash as immature or stupid sort of vindicates that being without flaw (however one wants to give definition to such confounding singularities unto their own) is rather the enemy of "completion". I also feel that Misty and Brock's constant presence sort of deterred Ash from fully growing, and that his immature personality in the Kanto/Orange Island arcs worked well in relation to his more mature persona in the latter Johto/Hoenn arcs. Sure, the character doesn't have that good a history of achievements but I think one should just respect history for what it is and move on. Ash has shown himself to be a great and compassionate individual in nature and has great relationships with Pokémon in general (Pikachu would come to the forefront but I feel it's a tad overused and not as tenable as it used to be). And in Movies like Movie 8, which are less about good and evil and more about the inherent compassion and strength in one, Ash evolves into both a mature and even stronger character as he takes it upon himself to give balm in the way he can with his ties with the aura backstory.

Now, I wouldn't mind seeing finality brought to his character, his family, his Pokémon, and his story, either. But I don't think he should just be discarded with but a thought given that the writers have devoted 500+ episodes to him, is all.

Roronoa Zolo

Three Sword Master
    Years
  • Okay, he is annoying now. He gets older, in fact now he's 13 or 14, but he gets more and more immature with each series instead of growing up...I mean, he always travels with a girl, so why hasnt he expressed the least bit if interest in one of them yet? And dont say that May and Dawn are 10, because they are not. I wont say how I know this because I dont want to get into trouble.

But I think that if they got rid f Ash entirely, that would be the end of Pokemon. Because once the anime ends, and even if they start a new one, then eventually the whole thing will die. But I think after Diamond and Pearl, he should have to do some Worldwide League or something, and then it ends one of these ways:

1. Ash battles Giovanni and it is revealed that Giovanni is Ash's father...but that would be a bit lame.
    2. Ash fights the Pokemon Master, and it turns out to be his Dad. And for suspense, It be the final round.
    Ash: PIKACHU! THUNDERSHOCK!
    Ashs Fater tells whatever Pokemon he has to attack
    BOOM!
    WHO WILL WIN? We will never know, the end.
    And just as a fun fact, do you all know we're techniacllyin Episode 2 of Pokemon? Every episode ends with To Be Continued except for when Ash leaves for Sinnoh, which ends with 'Next Time....the adventure continues'

Why would Ash hit on May or Dawn? may I hint that this is a KIDS show.
    Whould some 5 year old understand, Ash, hitting on May/Dawn? What would the parents think?

Okay I have ash haters i have something for you. Since you guys can't give a good enough explanation, why you hate him, i will say everything that is good about him. and a question for you to answer.

I see him as a great central character and an excellent protagonist. He's considerate of his Pokémon's needs, and he's always trying to learn as much as he can and do what's right. I consider both those qualities to be extremely respectable. He's flawed, of course, as all humans are - he's prone to arrogance on occasion, though nowhere near the level he had at the start of the series. But at heart, he's still one of the most likeable out of the main cast, and his bond between Pikachu and the rest of his team is a great humanistic touch that makes him more three-dimensional than he could have been. If the anime's characters could come to life, I'd honestly want to spend time with Ash - he's a good kid.

So what is it that people hate about him? Is it his team? 'Cause he has a good reason for starting fresh in each region - he likes to challenge himself and build his skills by starting from the ground up every time, and he knows that his other Pokémon will be well cared for at oak's lab. Is it his occasional lapses in intelligence? Well, that's one of his endearing qualities, in my opinion. He wants to learn everything about Pokémon training, which implies that he doesn't know it all yet, so naturally he's going to screw up every once in a while. Is it because he keeps defeating the Team Rocket? Geez, they're the villains, and they try to succeed through illegal and unjust means - and they're constantly trying to kidnap Ash's best friend. Why shouldn't Ash put them in their place?

Last edited:

Nodorsho

Do you want to be my pet? <3
    Years
  • I have never liked Ash. During the first two sagas of the anime, he was an over confident and arrogant young man who did not possess any intellect ("WHAT'S A CARNIVORE?!"). From what I have seen of Johto, AG, and DP, he is now a boring and overly serious guy with only rare bouts of stupidity and arrogance. Overall, he is not my ideal main character. Both before and after his development, I dislike him. I am not saying he is a bad character. I can understand why people like him. I simply do not.

Personally, I think the show should have started with a new set of characters at the end of the Orange Islands. That is what I have done in my AU fanfiction series. In my series, which takes place ten years after Ash's victory in the Orange League, I center on new characters in the Johto region. Occassionally, I will have old characters from the anime series show up, but it mainly focuses on my new characters.

EagleVision1999

Commander
    Years
  • My friend, have you read a manga called Pokemon Special before? 'Cause you just described it to a T. I really wouldn't mind a PokeSpecial anime at all, since all the charcters are so well developed. If they caqn't do that, then they should at least make an Arc based on Kenta and Marina from chronicles.

Yeah, I read it. At least what I was able to find (cause publishing was cancelled and I wasn't able to import it yet, damn, I'm nor rich ;_;...I have the japanese scans and try to translate them) and I agree with you. I would like a PokeSpecial anime. Edit: This is how it was and I know there are scans...but translating myself is more fun XD It's been awhile since I last looked for them...
    I also watched Pokemon chronicles (the ones I found...weren't published in my country as well...I missed two episodes...)
    Chronicles weren't enough...I'd also want more manga...
    They could make so many great series and episodes...
    I wouldn't mind the old characters to appear in an anime though
    Something like an OOC series in which every character has a serieous background. They could use stuff from the TV show just different and more mature...
    Anyway I want to see an anime of the special manga as well.
    There are so many characters which deserve more attention...An arc based on Kenta and Marina would be great as well.
    I want to see all that ><

There's a discussion about Satoshi going on, huh?
    My opinion about him is not that bad exept that he's boring...
    I mean the show really has no interesting plot because many ideas are used again and again.
    The movies were nice but since it's a kids show we know from the beginning that Satoshi will be the one who save the day...
    He is no bad protagonist, but since there's nothing really bad or serious happening, he won't be able to show more interesting aspects of himself (him always acting all brave and srong is a little bit boring...also when you know who'll be the one who makes the day...even when he loses battle)
    Considering his age I can also understand when his thoughts are a little superficial (the friend-with-everyone and such...)
    He also developed, compared with the beginning he is more serious now, but there are really silly moments, too.
    It's strange that his body don't mature...
    I would say, he's no bad protagonist, only the story isn't well written and if that was changed maybe he could get a little more interesting.
    Has someone read the Manga about him? Dengeki Pikachu...That was nice and in my opinion better than the show, though it was a little bit different.

Last edited:

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • I wish they would bring back Pokemon Chronicles, that was an awesome show. They need to have an anime centered around Misty and two new characters.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • I'd still want Ash to be the main lead, because I love Pikachu very much and no Ash = no Pikachu.
    Moreover, if they started a whole new series, Pokemon might lose fans.
    It's just like Digimon. They were popular when they kept their original lead characters (in season one and two), but gradually, when the characters change............

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • I'd still want Ash to be the main lead, because I love Pikachu very much and no Ash = no Pikachu.
    Moreover, if they started a whole new series, Pokemon might lose fans.
    It's just like Digimon. They were popular when they kept their original lead characters (in season one and two), but gradually, when the characters change............
    Aww that's true! I forgot about Pikachu...that would be horrible to lose him as a character. But...Misty does have Psyduck...he was so hilarious!!!

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
  • I don't see why they can't run two series parallel to one another, with the usual Ash as one series, and another main character in another region as the other series.

I voted remove Ash.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    i think they should make a series on the Pokemon Adventures manga with Red and Pika being the main characters

Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2019
    I voted keep it the same although the show really fails right now. :x
    There's no plot anymore, it seems there's just filler eps with a gym battle here and there.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • Make a new anime character, starting in say Kanto, then go visit all the gym leaders like Ash did, except, give them new pokemon, from Johto, Hoen & Sinnoh.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I voted to keep it the same a while back...lol...but I wouldn't mind having two series running parallel to each other...seeing how Tyson starts out his journey in the Johto with his Cyndaquil and continuing on into the Kanto, Hoenn, and then the Sinnoh...I wouldn't mind that, but they cannot abandon Ash's journey for it...srry...

ShadowDeeps

Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2021
    wild_eagle_1825 said:
    I see him as a great central character and an excellent protagonist. He's considerate of his Pokémon's needs, and he's always trying to learn as much as he can and do what's right. I consider both those qualities to be extremely respectable. He's flawed, of course, as all humans are - he's prone to arrogance on occasion, though nowhere near the level he had at the start of the series. But at heart, he's still one of the most likeable out of the main cast, and his bond between Pikachu and the rest of his team is a great humanistic touch that makes him more three-dimensional than he could have been. If the anime's characters could come to life, I'd honestly want to spend time with Ash - he's a good kid.
    I'm in wholehearted agreeance with this and that's why I don't abhor Ritchie. He's not an Ash clone, but rather a compassionate, mature, and caring kid. My issue with many heroes in stories in general and main characters is that they squander time being super rather than heroic (IE, saving one's girlfriend/boyfriend or any one thing instead of an agreeably larger and agreeably greater cause, which makes the former become trite and self-indulgent rather easily and quickly), and the villains are equally lame in that they only challenge the hero contumaciously on a physical rather than mental level much of the time when it comes to character traits and foiling such. In Pokémon, however, the aforementioned is an exception and such things are only casuals (for me) because we see Ash grow from an immature but warm and greathearted individual to someone much more mature, accepting, and placid. The only thing that didn't give leeway to that growth and evolution was Misty's and Brock's constant presence, in my opinion.

And on top of that, we see Ash grow immensely as a Pokémon trainer as he relates to his Pokémon - not just Pikachu, but his past Pokémon (like Squirtle, to be fastidious, Pokémon who feel less like Pokémon and more like characters unto their own for me) and current ones (whatever the starters and captures of the region of current for him may be) as well. So Ash wasn't too heroic in the beginning but then again who starts out as such? I think he's a good character who still warrants limelight, just remaining a course a tad different than league after league and gym battles after gym battles, subsequently.

Last edited:

lazysensei

Catcher not a Fighter
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2009
    I'd love for a new trainer to set out on his pokemon journey and replace Ash, I'm getting tired of him favoring Pikachu and winning easily and what not.

Its why I love the manga so much a new character is introduced per game. =)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back