• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Questions (PLEASE USE THE SEARCH BUTTON BEFORE ASKING)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2014
    Hi. I'm new. I looked for a little while to find an answer to my problem with no avail, so I'm here. Sorry if I do something wrong.
    Anyway, I'm making a ROMhack of Fire Red (big surprise). Currently, the only things that have touched my ROM for more than a few seconds are YAPE, PGE, AdvanceText, AdvanceMap, and AdvanceStarter.

I've changed moves and made custom ones, I figure this might have a small part.
    Oh, I also have DoesntKnowHowToPlay's Physical/Special split for Gen 3.
    I'm having this issue where, when the opponent uses moves like Thunder Wave, Sleep Powder, Flamethrower, etc, I get inflicted with a status. This isn't the problem. The problem is that, when a Pokemon on MY side of the battlefield is infected with a status, it doesn't:
    Show the status in the corner of the HP Bar thing (SLP, PSN, PRZ, BRN, FRZ)
    Do the animations at the end of each turn when you get the effects (the purple shaking and 'bwaba bwaba bwaba' noises with Poison, the electric shock and 'bzzt' with Paralysis, the snoring and Z's with Sleep, the flame noise and ember particle with Burn, or the freeze-sound and state of being in a giant ice cube with Freeze). I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that things like Confusion and Infatuation wouldn't have animations on my side either.

Another weird thing, when I go into my item bag during the battle, enter the pokemon screen during battle, or level up, it fixes it, and I can see the (PSN, SLP, PRZ, BRN, FRZ) status thing on the HP bar. I don't know why this is.

Another another weird thing: this has absolutely no affect on the opponent. It shows up just fine, they'll play the animations, make the sounds, all of that.

So... that about sums it up. I think this explanation is good enough, but I could record a video if really needed...
    If someone could help me out, that's be great. Let me know if there's anymore information you'd need, thanks!

When using the #removeall command to remove a script using XSE, it seems to leave any end (FE) commands in, fragmenting up the free space I'm trying to create. Is there a way to fix it so that XSE actually goes and deletes the end command too?

My guess is that it reads and cleans up to the end command, and then stops, instead of erasing it and THEN stopping.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • Sorry for bothering again but I don't understand how does this tool (Cry Pointer Repointer) exactly work. I tried the obvious: got the pointer of the pokemon whose cry I want to use, copied it on the pointer box of the pokemon number 252 (whose unown cry I want to replace) and then I hit repoint. It doesn't seem to work though. Pokemon no252 still has the unown cry and not the Aerodactyl cry I want it to have.

Any help would be much-much-much appreciated! Changing a pokemon's cry with an other, existing one, sounds extremely simple but it has caused me a lot of problems so far. :/

Honestly I have no idea. Have you tried a-cry? http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=241469 Turns out a-cry is the "updated"/replacement of that. Theres also this tut
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=200527
    which requires reading into this one http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=199151
    Thats about the extent of my knowledge on the subject sorry if that doesnt work.

I have a new question of my own.
    How do I fix the "unknown keyword "" at line122" in xse v1.1.1 I have a 150-ish line script and dont want to rewrite it.
    btw line 122 is a blank line in between 2 strings of talking.
    Turns out that having too many [player] in one line causes problems.

also if anyone has an answer to my other question from a few days ago, I still havent gotten an answer.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2017
    I have a new question of my own.
    How do I fix the "unknown keyword "" at line122" in xse v1.1.1 I have a 150-ish line script and dont want to rewrite it.
    btw line 122 is a blank line in between 2 strings of talking.

About that, the problem is at the line 121, the first dialogue string. Sometimes xse places an invinsible, unknown character between two letters. You have to find it and delete/backspace it. Navigate your cursor along the current dialogue line using the arrow keys, and at one point between two letters you cursor will stand still. There is the "unknown" character.

Actually, the "unknown keyword" error box informs you where that invinsible keyword is placed. It shows you all the letters that are following it untill there is a space.
    For example if I have the script:
    Line 42: #org @1
    Line 43: = Hello! My name is John! \nHow are you doing?
    Line 44:
    and the error message is "unknown word ow at line 44" means that this keyword was placed in the "How" word, between "H" and "ow". Put your cursor there and delete the unknown word. I hope I'm making sense. :p

I'm sorry but I can't help you with your other question.

Years
    • no
    • Seen Apr 20, 2020
    Anybody knows the UNLZ number for the in-battle "HP BAR" in FIRERED? i cant seem to find it, all i saw was the hp bar on the SUMMARY menu. Im trying to edit the battlebox but the hp bar seems to be from a different tileset, and overlapping the box.

thank you! :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    Just wondering what controls what the options in the options menu are set to (text speed, stereo/mono, frame type, etc.) in FR/LG. Are they specials?

Years
  • Hi im having trouble editing the other part of the trees on a-map I tried the connections but I can't seem to find that part of the map
    Spoiler:

PS: Ignore the ow and water animation+ Flower xD

Nordk

Chief Harpoonist
    Years
  • I'm working on compiling sprites for my hack, and I've noticed that back sprites from different sheets differ slightly in their placement, with some having a gap below the sprite.
    Sprite.png

This is what I mean. The one on the right is from a R/S sheet, the right is from a FR/LG sheet. Is this difference based on the game the sprite originates from? Does this have an effect on the in-game appearance, or does it not matter?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I'm working on compiling sprites for my hack, and I've noticed that back sprites from different sheets differ slightly in their placement, with some having a gap below the sprite.
    Sprite.png

This is what I mean. The one on the right is from a R/S sheet, the right is from a FR/LG sheet. Is this difference based on the game the sprite originates from? Does this have an effect on the in-game appearance, or does it not matter?

The vertical position of the Pokémon sprites is different in each game. This position can easily be changed though, by tools such as the Advanced Sprite Position Editor from the Advanced Series. However, if when you're changing the sprites you keep them in the same position, they should look okay and there will be no need to edit that.

Sniper

ふゆかい
    Years
  • What tool should I use to remove the waterfall animation?

EDIT:
    I have another problem.
    After inserting a house tile. I was testing it, I noticed something is wrong, the tile is blocking the hero's head.
    1HueRMk.png

So I tried to change the background byte:
    HDac88a.png

But after I did..
    3BWveCE.png

Those green 4 dots appears, when I change it back to '00' it appears fine but the head of the hero is blocked by the tile.
    What should I do to fix this?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 10, 2017
    Does Metronome take an expanded movetable into account or will it just randomize the moves that originally were in the game?

DarkSerenity

Kari-Chan
    Years
  • Hi, I was just wondering- Is there any tutorials on how to hack Pokemon Ruby's introduction? Not the title screen, or the part before the title screen, but the part when the professor introduces himself and the player picks a gender and a name. I have searched the internet and this site but have only found ones for changing the part before the title screen. Have I been using wrong search terms? I searched up 'How to hack Pokemon Ruby introduction.' Sorry if this is a dumb question! I'm new to ROM hacking.

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
    Years
  • Hi, I was just wondering- Is there any tutorials on how to hack Pokemon Ruby's introduction? Not the title screen, or the part before the title screen, but the part when the professor introduces himself and the player picks a gender and a name. I have searched the internet and this site but have only found ones for changing the part before the title screen. Have I been using wrong search terms? I searched up 'How to hack Pokemon Ruby introduction.' Sorry if this is a dumb question! I'm new to ROM hacking.

Use a-text to search for the text that is said in the begining.

Also (i know this is gonna sound stupid but)does anybody know if its possible to insert a 256 color title screen into emerald or fire red? I know its normally 16 colors but the emerald version logo is 256 right? So wouldnt it be possible to do the same with the background?

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • Use a-text to search for the text that is said in the begining.

Also (i know this is gonna sound stupid but)does anybody know if its possible to insert a 256 color title screen into emerald or fire red? I know its normally 16 colors but the emerald version logo is 256 right? So wouldnt it be possible to do the same with the background?
    256 colours can be done! There is a tutorial for FireRed in the Tutorials section by Black Charizard, it would only be a case of finding the relevant offsets if you wanted to port it to Emerald.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    Hey.. Just gonna repeat my question if by any chance who can solve my problem, here.

To remove, add or edit animations, use Lu-ho's animation editor. Though I have no idea why you want to remove the waterfall, moving tiles to a different place is way easier. (I'm assuming you want to insert new tiles over the waterfall).
    Not 100% sure about your second problem, but anyway:
    Block is covered by hero is the correct background byte for that block, so I have no idea what happened there. Perhaps you have multiple blocks that look similar and accidently used the wrong one, or you haven't re-entered the map while testing in VBA. Those green spots look like the top of your tree tile if I'm not mistaken.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    Just a simple question about music hacking. The Fire Emblem community has a patch that adds all the standard MIDI instruments to an FE7 ROM. I was just wondering if the Pokemon community has an equivalent. Being limited only to the instruments that are already used by the voicegroups already in the game is kind of frustrating.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back