• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Simple Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • It could be that, or it maybe because you slowly accumulating EVs and leveling up along on the way. If you, for example, accumilate 252 speed EVs before leveling, you will see a number increase.

Also since EVs "scale" with level, it won't show much effect when your level is low.
    Like how a LV.50 Metagross will have 155 HP (0 EV) and 187 HP (252 EV), while a LV.100 Metagross will have 301 HP (0 EV) and 364 HP (252 EV.)

hmm well I defeated around 20 pkmn that give 2 speed evs each before leveling up, so I should have gained about 40evs which equals +10 increase in speed stat? or since evs scale with level I would have at least +3 speed stat, but when I leveled up I got +0 speed stats. Maybe it's the "ev scales with level" thing then

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
    Years
  • Changing special abilities on evolution?

I can't find if this info has already been asked/posted, so I'll ask here. If a Pokemon has a certain special ability, how will that affect what it has upon evolution?

Here's a particular example: When I play White and eventually make it to the Dream World, I want to get a Caterpie. A Caterpie there would have the "Run Away" ability. Does this, however, guarantee than when it evolves into Butterfree, it would have the Dream World "Tinted Lens" ability instead of the normal "Compound Eyes" ability?

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • I'd imagine so. That's how it's done in Gen 3 and 4. The ability was stored in a bit or two of the personality value, and it always stayed the same for one Pokemon. So, if a Caterpie had a Caterpie's "first" ability, the Metapod would have a Metapod's "first" ability as well.

That is probably what happens here as well, but don't quote me on that. They may just have some fancy way of forcing Dream World Pokemon to have the Dream World ability, regardless of personality value, so when it evolves it MIGHT dissapear. Could do with some confirmation here. Or you could test it yourself for the greater good.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Since we're not entirely sure (until someone comes along with a positive answer), I merged in the Help Thread where it belongs. :P

The Red Chain

Yes. Dream World ability slot is kept upon evolution.
    So if you evolve a Run Away Caterpie to a Butterfree it will have Tinted Lens.

The game will register the "special ability" slot and will keep the Dream World quality, same ability or not.

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
    Years
  • Woo-hoo, huge thanks, Red Chain! :)

Ok, new question. Anyone who has been following the Best Wishes anime should know that there's a promotion going around where BW players can receive a Pokemon egg. Well, I'm getting my copy of White in the mail (hopefully very soon) and I want to know, can I still partake in this even though I live in America? If so, what do I do? Can I take advantage of this right away in the game or do I need to get to a certain point in the story first? Also, how do I go about initiating the promotion? More info here:

https://www.pokemon.co.jp/info/2010/11/g101105_01.html?a001=flash
    https://pokemonblackandwhite.net/?p=2526

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • If it is done over Nintendo Wifi and not local (as in not from Japan malls or the such) then you'd be able to get it I believe. I also think you'd only have to have set up the wifi connection for your DS/game and activate trading (maybe not even that!). You'd do it over the menu screen (similar way to D/P/Pt and HGSS wifi events really, I imagine).

The Red Chain

Ok, new question. Anyone who has been following the Best Wishes anime should know that there's a promotion going around where BW players can receive a Pokemon egg. Well, I'm getting my copy of White in the mail (hopefully very soon) and I want to know, can I still partake in this even though I live in America? If so, what do I do? Can I take advantage of this right away in the game or do I need to get to a certain point in the story first? Also, how do I go about initiating the promotion!
    ... Okay, no definite answer yet, so I will confirm this.

Yes, you can partake in the event. As long as your game is Japanese and the event is for the Japanese copies of the game, you can receive the event. [Has to be a Wifi event though as bob said]
    Luckily, the egg event is a Wifi event, so yay! Here's what you have to do in regards to the story :

You will have to make your way to the second city and beat the first Gym Leader. A lady named Makomo will be waiting for you there after you leave the Gym, and she's going to give you the C-Gear for Wifi after you do a short task for her. After you're done speaking to her, make your way out of the building she brought you in and to the right of the city to the Abandoned Lot of Dreams. Cut the tree you'll see up there with the Cut HM you'll receive from the first Gym Leader, go through there and woop Team Plasma butt. Makomo will walk up to you after, but she won't give you the C-Gear, so you have to return to the building where she took you before. When you speak to her in the building, then you should receive the C-Gear from her. After that, the main menu where you resume your game should now have a Wifi option. Use that option.

Pokemon.co.jp should have a section for the egg event when it comes out telling you what options to choose after you get into Wifi mode. Follow those and you're ready to receive your egg! If it's like the Victini event, you'll have to go into a Pokemon Center after activating the event through Wifi and receive the egg from a delivery man in there.

Hope this was of use to you! :3

Last edited:

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
    Years
  • Thanks again, Red Chain (and to the rest of you who answered as well)! I'll have to make sure to reference this page again when I get to that part of the game, hopefully before the event is over.

I have another question. Sorry I'm so full of them today. I have anticipation for my soon-to-arrive White game coming out of my ears. The question is, am I required to belong to the "Pokemon Daisuki Club" to be allowed to access the Dream World? I wanted to join the club anyway, but I don't meet the system requirements (I have Mac OSX 10.4 and they want at least 10.5). I think my dad may have 10.5 around somewhere, and my sister has a PC laptop, so if the club is a must I may be able to work something out, but I think it would be somewhat inconvenient.

The Red Chain

I have another question. Sorry I'm so full of them today. I have anticipation for my soon-to-arrive White game coming out of my ears. The question is, am I required to belong to the "Pokemon Daisuki Club" to be allowed to access the Dream World? I wanted to join the club anyway, but I don't meet the system requirements (I have Mac OSX 10.4 and they want at least 10.5). I think my dad may have 10.5 around somewhere, and my sister has a PC laptop, so if the club is a must I may be able to work something out, but I think it would be somewhat inconvenient.
    The club is a must I'm afraid.
    From my understanding, Dream World syncs up with your Pokemon Daisuki account to allow you access.. or something of the sort involving syncing. XD;
    So.. you have to have an account. I hope you can work things out! ;_;

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
    Years
  • Do I have to have it just to make Dream World work, or will not having it affect everything else in my BW Wi-Fi experience (like the egg promotion, etc., etc.)?

EDIT: Another question: can I even join this club since I live in America? Does anyone know if there are any other requirements? I've explored the site some but I'm still studying Japanese and I thought it'd be easier if someone here already knew what to do. I also am wondering if there's a cost to join, or anything like that.

Last edited:

HeyMikey

White Lightning.
    Years
  • Can anyone tell me exactly how Harvest works? I tried it out using a Sitrus Berry and it did not regenerate. I also did some searching and apparently the berry doesn't regenerate instantly all the time. Can anyone add to this?

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Can anyone tell me exactly how Harvest works? I tried it out using a Sitrus Berry and it did not regenerate. I also did some searching and apparently the berry doesn't regenerate instantly all the time. Can anyone add to this?
    During battle, if a Pokemon with Harvest used a berry, the berry regenerates with a 50% chance at the end of each turn.
    While it's sunny, it's raised to a 100% chance.

HeyMikey

White Lightning.
    Years
  • That's very helpful, thank you. I do not doubt your answer, and I hate to be questioning, but do you have a source for that?

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • That's very helpful, thank you. I do not doubt your answer, and I hate to be questioning, but do you have a source for that?
    I got the info from the list of new traits on the Japanese wiki (here) and also from the entry for Exeggutor on the 5th gen battle wiki (here), which I was reading at the time.

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
    Years
  • Do I have to have it just to make Dream World work, or will not having it affect everything else in my BW Wi-Fi experience (like the egg promotion, etc., etc.)?

Also can I even join this club since I live in America? Does anyone know if there are any other requirements? I've explored the site some but I'm still studying Japanese and I thought it'd be easier if someone here already knew what to do. I also am wondering if there's a cost to join, or anything like that.
    Any one have an answer to this question yet? Any help would be appreciated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back