• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox♠

Banned
Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Two new scratches.

Hammersmith: He's a little robot, that fixes things i guess. I'm not 100% content with the shadow.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Haunter: Cuz people were saying how lame Nintendo keeps spriting him (and I agree) I decided to do a quick sprite of my own vision of haunter.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Years
  • Well, sorry, you're wrong.

Trying to sound terse, it's not as good. Now, I'd like to elaborate slightly. She filled several sections with the wrong shade, and the thing looks almost like it's stepping on the border between 3-D and 2-D.

And, no, revamp =/= add parts to the sprite. A proper revamp is like a recolor where you only change pixels without adding or moving any, but requires much more work and talent than a recolor because you have to fix the shading.

Bad advice is almost as bad as the frightening number of recolors on the PA board.

Oh Am i getting lecture about revamps ?
    I'm sure a revamp is not just recoulering and change the pixels around.
    Some of the sprites there anatomy is screwed up, so most of the times you need to scratch there other parts, and if i'm wrong then how come my old revamps look way better then most of the revamps showed here ?
    Your right about some parts, but on a real revamp, you add the bad parts yourself.

And besides i didnt want to sound rude, but your post was not really helping her/him.
    So thats why i said you where wrong..
    :)

Anyway @ Foxhound.

You shaded the axe pretty good, I dont really like the body though.
    It almost looks abit pillowshaded, slow down with the lightest shade, that's the main reason why it looks pillowshaded...

It looks like haunter, but then again he looks not like him.
    It's not really pokemon style, but that's maybe just your style of spriting..
    You should really remove that red aura around him and make it different, try to make the colours flow. ( if you know what i mean)
    But the shading is quite good so that pretty much great i say..

Anyway again.
    Here's my fixed Pre evo of my raptor/Dragon.
    I changed the shading abit, not a major edit though.

Spriters Showcase Thread

That post is really long hehe :P

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Thanks for the crits mate :)

Yeah, I thought the metal looked a bit PSed, but I didn't really know where else to go with it, it's still a WiP so I'll fix it up.

The Haunter isn't in any particular style, nor is it an accurate Haunter, it's more how I feel Haunter should look :)

The only problem with the smaller pre evo dragon, is it looks too much like the original stage you showed us.

Years
  • Right you are, Thats the same thing i thought.
    It's just a smaller version.
    I looked at a dinosaur stage.
    A baby t-rex looks abit fatter and when it's like a teenager, it has a slim body like a raptor.
    So I basicly looked to much at that, so I kinda forgot about the pokemon ways of evolving.
    Well everything can be changed, so whenever I feel like it I change it :)
    Thanks for the crit :D

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    Oh Am i getting lecture about revamps ?
    I'm sure a revamp is not just recoulering and change the pixels around.
    Some of the sprites there anatomy is screwed up, so most of the times you need to scratch there other parts, and if i'm wrong then how come my old revamps look way better then most of the revamps showed here ?
    Your right about some parts, but on a real revamp, you add the bad parts yourself.

And besides i didnt want to sound rude, but your post was not really helping her/him.
    So thats why i said you where wrong..
    No, sorry. You're still wrong.

In revamps, you don't change the shape of the sprite. I don't care how horribly mutilated the anatomy is. The point is to take an old sprite, fix the shading and colors, and make it look new. The point is not to flood fill things, nor is it to scratch anything onto a sprite.

Hmm... well, judging by what a revamp is, if you scratched anything onto your revamp, it's no longer a revamp. o.o So, yeah, shot down.

And my post helped. Whether or not you can see that is irrelevant. I gave good advice.

Your post, on the other hand, gave her bad advice (like not listening to my post) and dumb advice (like scratching things onto a revamp).

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    I mean, I can't really see how you'll improve the pre evo, maybe change the colour scheme a little, or add like a small red mark on his chest instead of a red underbelly. Idk, i'm at a loss to what you should do to it.

Katana

Doin' it Katana Style!
    Years
  • That Haunter is great Foxhound. Spread the Haunter love. <3
    And the shading looks all good on your dragon Crosell from what I can see. It's a very nice design.

Anyway, I tried to make pumpkin dude's vine not look so copy/flip/rotate/paste...:

Spriters Showcase Thread

Hopefully that looks better?

Years
  • Ah man your getting anoying...
    Dont follow the basic rules of revamps because they always look weird.
    I sprite for almost 4 years now, so it's really anoyying if you think you know better then me cause you dont know better.
    Anyway I'm getting sick of talking to a 14 year old about the way a revamps should be done.
    I'll post one of my revamps soon, so you would see how much better it looks then just a normal revamp by folowing the rules of that.
    Subject done My feeling says it should be like that, now keep your opinion to yourself.
    Thanks you come again :)

@ foxhound.
    maybe I scratch the whole thing over again, I will see what i do about it.
    It may need a better looking face, I'm not to happy about it.

@ katana.
    It does look way better man, maybe you can change his feet, letting it look more like roots or something.
    I have not much to see so keep it up.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    That Haunter is great Foxhound. Spread the Haunter love. <3
    And the shading looks all good on your dragon Crosell from what I can see. It's a very nice design.

Anyway, I tried to make pumpkin dude's vine not look so copy/flip/rotate/paste...:

Spriters Showcase Thread

Hopefully that looks better?

It's starting to come along really well!

Maybe try some more subdued colours? You gonna enter the contest with it?

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2010
    Thanks for the feedback.

/Fixed:

Spriters Showcase Thread

Spriters Showcase Thread

And I definately agree with you Emerald Ex. They're ruining poor Haunter's sprite more and more each generation. T_T

This looks excellent! The shading looks great, and the red outline compliments it nicely^^

Two new scratches.

Hammersmith: He's a little robot, that fixes things i guess. I'm not 100% content with the shadow.

Spriters Showcase Thread

Haunter: Cuz people were saying how lame Nintendo keeps spriting him (and I agree) I decided to do a quick sprite of my own vision of haunter.

Spriters Showcase Thread

The first one's shadow looks strange, but other than that, it looks perfect!

I like the Haunter, although you might want to shade the red a little. It'd look better that way.

And here are some recolors, done in an outer space style:

Spriters Showcase Thread

Spriters Showcase Thread

Spriters Showcase Thread

How do you like them?

[NovaPirate]

And the rest went riding on.
    Years
  • Mobile Tsk, I'm afraid Crossell is indeed right. You do sometimes have to edit the body a little bit. Now, if you edit the body a lot it might indeed stretch the boundaries of a revamp and become a heavy edit, but sometimes Nintendo messes up the anatomy, take the GSC Tyranitar for instance, it is much larger than intended. Therefore, some revampers slim it down.

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    Mobile Tsk, I'm afraid Crossell is indeed right. You do sometimes have to edit the body a little bit. Now, if you edit the body a lot it might indeed stretch the boundaries of a revamp and become a heavy edit, but sometimes Nintendo messes up the anatomy, take the GSC Tyranitar for instance, it is much larger than intended. Therefore, some revampers slim it down.
    I talked to Matt about this. Crosell is right, but only in terms of how things were long before I joined PC. Nowadays, a standard revamp just doesn't use any form of scratch spriting because it takes away from it being, well, a revamp.

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    Now you see I'm right :P
    Was it really neccasary to lower my reputation points for that ? hehe.
    Huh...?

I never lowered your reputation. That would be dumb.

And according to Matt, we're both right. 8D

Spriters Showcase Thread
    By the way, I like this one. It's just a bit... messy around the face, but it's nice.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    The whole argument was pointless, like I said, me and Cross refer to revamps how we knew them, the newer generation refer to them how they know them.

Also, fixed up Hammersmith a bit
    Spriters Showcase Thread

Years
  • Huh...?

I never lowered your reputation. That would be dumb.

And according to Matt, we're both right. 8D

Spriters Showcase Thread
    By the way, I like this one. It's just a bit... messy around the face, but it's nice.

Owh who did lower my rep then? It was not really nice. :(
    I never said you where wrong in what you said, I just said it's better if you make some scratch edit's in some parts of a revamp because they look kinda weird sometimes.
    And in a way you where right.
    Yeah I know it sucks haha, I'm gonna remake it sooner or later, thanks for the comment though.

Foxhound, I still thinks it's Pillowshaded too much, because of the size of this sprite, it's difficult to shade it.
    Just use a few pixels fot that lightest shade, and do not put it in the middle of your sprite.
    but it is better then your previous version, so i think you know what i mean.
    Keep it up!

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    The apron is the issue, i was just checking on how the metal was shaping up :)

I feel I've nearly cracked it, what do you guys think?

Spriters Showcase Thread

Last edited:

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    Signomi is pretty much owning this contest.

Large pixel art is a completely different league than sprites. The only chance I see of a sprite winning is if large pixel art is held to a higher standard.

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    Just because Chrissie's entry is both huge and good, doesn't mean it will win.

I don't judge something based on size alone, if a Sprite or much smaller PA had the same amount of skill applied to it, I would view them both equally.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back