• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Sprites extracted! Discussion.

Years
  • The guy on the bottom has got to be Giovanni, that is why he is hiding his face, and in the show Giovanni usually had a pocket on the outside of his jacket!

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • The guy on the bottom has got to be Giovanni, that is why he is hiding his face, and in the show Giovanni usually had a pocket on the outside of his jacket!

I wouldn't compare the anime Giovanni to that of the ones in the game as the games do not follow the anime, besides the fact of Pokémon Yellow. However, many people think this sprite may be that of Giovanni, which is very possible, but we'll have to wait and see.

It wouldn't surprise me if a surprise confrontation were to occur with the player and Giovanni. The game has so far come with many new inclusions and a Giovanni addition wouldn't be so much of a waste, but interesting to see if it were to play out.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • I wouldn't compare the anime Giovanni to that of the ones in the game as the games do not follow the anime, besides the fact of Pokémon Yellow.
    In a game where a previously-thought "anime only" style was included (I'm looking at you, Pichu), why isn't it valid to believe they incorporate another similarity with Giovanni? Really, I'm getting tired of that belief that there's such a "distinct" imaginary line here.

On another note, Skarmory looks cool. >3>

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • In a game where a previously-thought "anime only" style was included (I'm looking at you, Pichu), why isn't it valid to believe they incorporate another similarity with Giovanni? Really, I'm getting tired of that belief that there's such a "distinct" imaginary line here.

On another note, Skarmory looks cool. >3>

It has always been said that the games are more promoted through the anime. This is where the main anime characters journey through the region of the game and/or a character from the game appears in the anime itself. For instance, in an upcoming Japanese episode, Kotone is supposed to make an appearance. Which in otherwords is basically promoting the release of HeartGold and SoulSilver.

However, the games itself play out its own story which is later incorportated into the anime. Therefore drawing the games and its contents to be more independent while the anime is taking the basic game plots and incorporating it within. So, the game and the character sprites originate on its own, such as Giovanni and his possible new game sprite, while later the idea is brought into motion.

In other news, the only two sprites that seem to bother me thus far is Pikachu and possible Raichu. The design of it just doesn't seem to fit with itself as some of the other Pokémon sprites. However, others may think differently from their own perspective.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    what happened to sabrina"s clothes?she was waering like a woman's suit before to jeans and a corset now lol i like change

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Let's Get Lost In TL;DR said:
    It has always been said that the games are more promoted through the anime. This is where the main anime characters journey through the region of the game and/or a character from the game appears in the anime itself. For instance, in an upcoming Japanese episode, Kotone is supposed to make an appearance. Which in otherwords is basically promoting the release of HeartGold and SoulSilver.

However, the games itself play out its own story which is later incorportated into the anime. Therefore drawing the games and its contents to be more independent while the anime is taking the basic game plots and incorporating it within. So, the game and the character sprites originate on its own, such as Giovanni and his possible new game sprite, while later the idea is brought into motion.
    Just because the anime may pick at parts of the game doesn't mean opposite transfer can take place. As I mentioned, the entire exception to your point is notch-eared Pichu. What happened to the thought of sharing ideas or concepts every once in a while?

'kay, I'm done with a redundant and overblown debate (that never ends, honestly) on a simple pocket detail. All I'm trying to say, Lost, is that it's not impossible for the game to snag an element from the anime here, especially when they already have in these games. End of boring discussion, VM me if you honestly feel like dragging this out.

---

Must say I'm in love with the gym leader clothing this time around, makes (most of them, at least) look much more sophisticated and challenging. :)

Years
  • Raichu looks fat.

But besides that...I just realized that I got into spriting after DP released. So besides Platinum...
    I haven't ever got to see new sprites in this different view.

Ah...Hah..hah....I sorta freaked out a little, I'm so happy.

Not to be a fangirl, but Blue/Green looks amazing!
    Claire has blue hair?

Is it me or do the heros and a few others new ones look...muted in color?

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • what happened to sabrina"s clothes?she was waering like a woman's suit before to jeans and a corset now lol i like change
    I didn't realize the difference between Sabrina until now. If you hadn't pointed that out then I might not have possibly noticed until a bit later down the line. Nevertheless, like you stated "i like change" is what I agree on. Sabrina looks more modern, and I think I like the way it turned out. Hopefully she'll be stronger in the long run though.

Just because the anime may pick at parts of the game doesn't mean opposite transfer can take place. As I mentioned, the entire exception to your point is notch-eared Pichu. What happened to the thought of sharing ideas or concepts every once in a while?

'kay, I'm done with a redundant and overblown debate (that never ends, honestly) on a simple pocket detail. All I'm trying to say, Lost, is that it's not impossible for the game to snag an element from the anime here, especially when they already have in these games. End of boring discussion, VM me if you honestly feel like dragging this out.

---

Must say I'm in love with the gym leader clothing this time around, makes (most of them, at least) look much more sophisticated and challenging. :)
    Point taken, now let's move onward shall we?

Raichu looks fat.

Not to be a fangirl, but Blue/Green looks amazing!
    Claire has blue hair?

Is it me or do the heros and a few others new ones look...muted in color?
    Raichu for me just seem to have gotten a little "sloppy" as one has said before in its sprite. However, I'll cope as things go along.

It seems as though it has been confirmed that Blue has now been renamed to Green, which makes sense seeing as what had been the outcome from the release of FRLG. Never more, he looks a lot more mature than before and it kind of adds in the effect to the three year change. It'll be fun having a bit of challenge against him.

As for Claire, she has always had blue hair. Though, I guess some may not have noticed it before. With the sprites and their color though, you can say some may look a bit muted, but on actual game screen it could have a slight different appearance in color as lighting and area all takes effect.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • hmm...is it just me or did Green mature three years while Red still looks the same age as he did in FRLG? XD

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    also in the fourth row the new beauty sprite looks really modern and really american 18 year old girl.she just looks so spiled and conceited.oh and erika looks like a geisha!
    argenta and will look like twins

Years
  • It seems as though it has been confirmed that Blue has now been renamed to Green, which makes sense seeing as what had been the outcome from the release of FRLG. Never more, he looks a lot more mature than before and it kind of adds in the effect to the three year change. It'll be fun having a bit of challenge against him.

As for Claire, she has always had blue hair. Though, I guess some may not have noticed it before. With the sprites and their color though, you can say some may look a bit muted, but on actual game screen it could have a slight different appearance in color as lighting and area all takes effect.

Yay, I can stop saying Blue/Green all the time! He looks much more mature that's true, so it bothers me that Red looks...pretty much the same. Side by side he even looks shorter.
    I never paid much attention to Claire, so I guess it's just me relying on pictures too much.

Sprites extracted! Discussion.

Hmm...I guess it's the just the minute difference in the yellow (very very very minute) and the different vibrancy of the red. With the dark blue and black clothing, they look a little darker, so over all I guess I read it as muted.
    (Neat, the girl and guy have different reds.)

Geck, beaten to the Red/Green difference.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • You will wait for an English release before deciding that. He's always been known as Green within the Japanese games.

That's right, it slipped my mind that so far it has only been confirmed with the Japanese games knowing the English version isn't out as yet. Thanks for the note though, but with Blue/Green it wouldn't bother me in which name they choose as it is the same person nevertheless.

However, I can say his sprite improvments for the remakes is definitely a plus along with many others, while some not exactly.

Andrew McKenzie

Supporting Pokemon Since 1999
    Years
  • It's looking pretty awesome with all these sprites.
    There is a Rom circulating so I've got my hands on it and am playing through.
    I'm LPing it for my own forum.

Perhaps I might rip some stuff and submit it to TSR if I get the chance.

Red's sprite is making me very happy.

Hamilton

*Creative Quote Goes Here*
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2016
    i hate the fact that the elders Hoot-hoot knows Hypnosis... wait... did it know that in the originals? anyway, elder is kicking my can

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • I just wonder how many people are disappointed to see that they used Red and Green's FR/LG design. No surprises here though, since the new generation are probably going to know FR/LG more than the originals anyway. (That and as a result these are sequels to FR/LG anyway.)

I'm a little disjointed (<- Firefox's spell check at it's finest) myself... I just don't think that Red looks as... I guess sinister as the old red.
    He looks like easy-going, pokemon training, brawl fightin', pokemon trainer.

I'm also disappointing that they turned Sabrina into a pop star. Ugh.

On a positive note, Serge looks almost like Jack Krauser if he took his sunglasses off. :)

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2010
    did anyone else notice sabrina isnt there...? unless shes that girl with the white pants, but i doubt it

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • did anyone else notice sabrina isnt there...? unless shes that girl with the white pants, but i doubt it

That is, unfortunately, her.
    Third row from the bottom, to the far right.

Now I have to loathe Britney Spears and other mtv pop stars while playing my DS.

Last edited:
    Back