• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Sprites.

Prince of the Sea

#1 Manaphy Fan
Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2011
    No character customization?

Wait a minute, guys and gals... I saw the new Oha Suta trailer.
    Look closely at 00:37 to 00:40. I saw the male protagonist, with a white/pink cap and spiky brown hair walking on a tan bridge in the sky. He walked into a mysterious field, and suddenly, the world was in greyscale, except for him, who had no hat, and a blondish brown neat haircut.

Azure-Supernova

Trainer of mediocre Champions!
    Years
  • No character customization?

Look closely at 00:37 to 00:40. I saw the male protagonist, with a white/pink cap and spiky brown hair walking on a tan bridge in the sky. He walked into a mysterious field, and suddenly, the world was in greyscale, except for him, who had no hat, and a blondish brown neat haircut.

There's a possibility that could be a wi-fi only feature

Jerme

stupid
    Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2010
    No character customization?

idk but what caught my eye were those pkmn. are those new or fake? i dont see a thread of them

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2017
    Don't the sprites look weird?

Is it just me, or are the sprites for these games getting worse? They look really pixel-y to me. I know it might just be that they are photos, but...

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • The back-sprites appear to be twice their 'real' size, with four pixels taking up what one should. But some of the latest screenshots being thrown around here lately have been really zoomed in, which makes it look worse.

It might be less noticeable on the DS screen.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • Look fine to me, too. I actually like the sprites like this. Not saying they're masterpieces, but then again, they never were. Blown up, shrunken down, doesn't matter, I still liked the pokemon. Yes, I'll admit, there will probably be one or two that look ugly when the camera moves... but so what? I don't really care that much anyway.

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
  • I did notice they looked a bit blocky and not as 'tidy' as the older game sprites, but I was hoping it was because they were still working on them :S hmm here's hoping they fix them up a little.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • I've explained this before. This thread has been made like four times.
    Let me see if I can dig up my old post about it.

Okay, I can't. I'll write a new one.

Long story short, the sprites are of the same if not better quality than Generation 4. They do appear pixelled though, and there are two major contributing factors to this. Neither of which have anything at all to do with it being in beta.
    • 1. The sprites are not saved as a single image anymore, they are saved as separate pieces and stitched together by the engine. This is so they can create detailed animations without the need for individual frames. This, in pixel-work, can create a jagged effect when a piece is rotated.
    • 2. The camera is dynamic. This means it is not static, or still, anymore. Sprites are composed of individual pixels, like any image, and as such when you zoom in an out of it some distortion occurs. This creates the effect of it being highly pixellated.

The great thing about each of these things, though, is that when the battle system is in motion you will barely be able to notice them.

Last edited:

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • I've explained this before. This thread has been made like four times.
    Let me see if I can dig up my old post about it.

Okay, I can't. I'll write a new one.

Long story short, the sprites are of the same if not better quality than Generation 4. They do appear pixelled though, and there are two major contributing factors to this.
    • 1. The sprites are not saved as a single image anymore, they are saved as separate pieces and stitched together by the engine. This is so they can create detailed animations without the need for individual frames. This, in pixel-work, can create a jagged effect when a piece is rotated.
    • 2. The camera is dynamic. This means it is not static, or still, anymore. Sprites are composed of individual pixels, like any image, and as such when you zoom in an out of it some distortion occurs. This creates the effect of it being highly pixellated.

The great thing about each of these things, though, is that when the battle system is in motion you will barely be able to notice them.

Neither of those things prevent it from not being pixelated though. If the sprites were, say, twice as big as they currently are, they shouldn't be pixelated (unless it focusses up on one, in which case the sprite would need to be bigger still).

So, really, the real reason they are pixelated, is because it would be too much work to make the sprites bigger. So they can just make them small, so that even when they are not being focussed in on, they look pixelated. Focussing out makes them look less pixelated, but for the most part they're not being focussed out on.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    I don't like the animations more than anything else, they look to uncoordinated like the pokemon are trying to do some weird dance... and failing.

The movements might be contributing to the over-pixelled look.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • Neither of those things prevent it from not being pixelated though. If the sprites were, say, twice as big as they currently are, they shouldn't be pixelated (unless it focusses up on one, in which case the sprite would need to be bigger still).

So, really, the real reason they are pixelated, is because it would be too much work to make the sprites bigger. So they can just make them small, so that even when they are not being focussed in on, they look pixelated. Focussing out makes them look less pixelated, but for the most part they're not being focussed out on.
    Er, yes they do?

Because then if you zoom OUT of a huge sprite, it will be just as ruined.

Sprites are not capable of remaining pixel-perfect in a dynamic environment.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • We're not talking about perfection. We're talking about pixelation (a.k.a. using more than one pixel on the screen to make up a single pixel of the image). Like this:

2112nfd.png

Scaling down is done in every 3D game, ever. And it looks way better than scaling up.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • Of course scaling down is done in 3D, it's completely different when you're doing it to a sprite.

x.05 and x4 both look less-than-great, regardless. Both create "pixellation".

Sprites only truly look good at x1.

Diagram.png

The effect you demonstrated does not exist in Black and White, they know better than that.

Last edited:

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • At least the sprites are constantly moving.

Given how many have been shown, I doubt they're beta sprites of sorts. Instead, I'm guessing that the sprites will be zoomed in and out during battle for certain attacks and stuff.

All fire attacks so far seem to pan the camera backwards.

Last edited:

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Many 3D games scale sprites too. That's not a very good scale. Here, with Direct3D:

charizardscale.png

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • Exactly, they all look horrible.

But the upscale I did was more accurate to the technique they use (it's clean), yours isn't.

Scaling, in combination with movement and rotation creates these negative effects, which are barely noticeable in motion.

Making the sprite larger will not change this.

Last edited:

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • 100%-70% look fine. Your upscale is 200%, that's why it looks cleaner (since it's exactly four pixels per single pixel of the original image). Exactly 200% is unrealistic in practice.

Also keep in mind that with larger sprites (the way I say it should be) the 100% one would be on screen for most of the time. Lower percentages would only come up when moving back to show some attacks. With yours it's the ~200% that's showing almost all the time.

The scaling mine uses is perfectly within the capabilities of the DS. Also the default sprite size would be about the size of the largest Charizard in the last image I posted, so the small features like the eyes and teeth will have more pixels available to them in the smaller size, so would look even better then this.

I can't believe you think upscaling looks better than downscaling. Oh, and pixelation isn't less noticeable with motion. After all, we've seen them in motion.

Back