• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Sprites.

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
Years
  • Maybe it's not the sprites that look bad, but the pokemon design xD
    Joking.. And yeah, the zoomed sprites really look horrible.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • 100%-70% look fine. Your upscale is 200%, that's why it looks cleaner (since it's exactly four pixels per single pixel of the original image). Exactly 200% is unrealistic in practice.

Also keep in mind that with larger sprites (the way I say it should be) the 100% one would be on screen for most of the time. Lower percentages would only come up when moving back to show some attacks. With yours it's the ~200% that's showing almost all the time.

The scaling mine uses is perfectly within the capabilities of the DS. Also the default sprite size would be about the size of the largest Charizard in the last image I posted, so the small features like the eyes and teeth will have more pixels available to them in the smaller size, so would look even better then this.

I can't believe you think upscaling looks better than downscaling. Oh, and pixelation isn't less noticeable with motion. After all, we've seen them in motion.
    In 3D objects and other images? No, downscaling looks better.

In the world of pixel-art? Up-scaling (by 200%, which you say would never be used, but then you say would be used most) is far, far more attractive.
    Pixel-art is supposed to be viewed pixel-by-pixel, and downscaling ruins this. If your idea made any sense, it's what Gamefreak would be doing.

This is coming from someone who's spent over a decade now in the spriting community: Half the artists deliberately upscale their works to 200% for better visibility.

Downscaling sprites looks horrible, just like upscaling them by anything short of 200% does. From what I can tell in screenshots, the backsprites are scaled by 200%. The pixels are perfect, and clean; they aren't distorted by the 3D engine, and this is a very important factor.
    By the way, judging by the videos (which yes, we have seen in motion, and that's my point; they look great), the only time the backsprites are 200% is when you're choosing your move. You're not even looking at them during this period (and they're obscured anyway). The perfect, 100% sprites are shown during the battle animation, which you are watching.

Oh, also, in your image the 100% sprite isn't even clean, you've damaged all of them in their entirety, which is why pixel-artists with integrity refuse to do this.
    The fact of the matter is that you are adding filters that degrade the pixels, and this goes against the very point of using pixel-art.
    If they wanted a system like that you would be using vectors or 3D models. Pixel-art is just that; art.

Last edited:

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • I said exactly 200% is unrealistic in practice. If it's 199.5% or 200.5% it won't have that same effect (~ means about).

This isn't the pixel art community, it's the game community. Just because games use pixel art doesn't change that. Gamers tend to not like 200% sprites unless they're going for the retro look. Pokemon isn't going for the retro look. Which is why this has repeating come up here and will continue to; you can bet on it being mentioned in every second (if not first) review too.

Pixel art is used in games because pixel-by-pixel is practical, not because of the beauty of the pixels and nothing can tarnish it full stop. That's why downscaling sprites has never been a stranger with games.

The reason Game Freak hasn't done this is, as I said, it would require animated sprites to be twice the size they currently are, at least. For ~600 Pokemon, that's a lot of work.

The 100% sprite's changes (as with the rest) is a technique commonly used in sprite games to make them look smoother (remember, I said I used Direct3D to make it). It's not done when just admiring them outside of games for the reasons you said. Games use sprites; games use filters.

Listing how long you've been spriting is irrelevant. I've been programming games for a decade. <-- See that was irrelevant too.

And remember, we're not talking about exactly 200% anyway. And you said you didn't like the other sizes either. 200%ing your pixel art is a shortcut technique anyway (unless your going for the retro look).

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • I'm well aware of what "~" can mean.

I hadn't mentioned how long I'd been spriting for (or even if I sprite), simply how long I had to view the practices of the community and people who work in the gaming industry.
    They use 200% in gaming extremely frequently, as can potentially be seen in Black and White.

The backsprites in this game likely do use 200%, so "~200%" is irrelevant, and "199.5%" is wrong.
    200% isn't unrealistic in the slightest, unless you're dealing with a poor dev, who doesn't know how to handle materials properly.

Find me a game that uses filters on its sprites and I'll find you ten that don't.

Last edited:
    Back