• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That's so gay.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    lol k. If you take this word that seriously then that's your problem. And no, freedom of speech is not a responsibility. I'm not responsible for how other's react to what I say, including you. If you think me casually saying the word "gay" is an attack on the homosexual community then you're laughably wrong. If you judge me based on how many times I drop the f-bomb then that's your problem, not mine. I'm more than aware of what comes out of my mouth, and I am more than capable of adjusting my behavior when it comes to professional circumstances thxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. You said you wouldn't make a friend of me for my language, but I wouldn't make a friend of you either if you were actually rigid and anal enough to verbally lash at me for my use of casual language. gayyyyyyy

Freedom of speech is a responsibility because speech is an action and all actions have consequences. If you cannot accept responsibility for your actions, then I guess there lies the problem.

Last edited:

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Freedom of speech is a responsibility because speech is an action and all actions have consequences. If you cannot accept responsibility for your actions, then I guess there lies the problem.

completely irrelevant. i am accepting responsibility for whatever comes out of my mouth, but if you intentionally misconstrue what i say and mistakenly convince yourself that a colloquial expression like "thats gay" is an attack on the LGBT community then the problem is completely yours.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
  • completely irrelevant. i am accepting responsibility for whatever comes out of my mouth, but if you intentionally misconstrue what i say and mistakenly convince yourself that a colloquial expression like "thats gay" is an attack on the LGBT community then the problem is completely yours.

I don't understand this mindset personally. If there are LGBT people who are openly asking you not to use it because it offends them, then how are you the person who has the right to say whether it is an attack on them or not? It's just kind of boggling, because when people ask me to stop saying things that are offensive I do it out of respect to people - not try to defend my actions and tell them to get over it.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    completely irrelevant. i am accepting responsibility for whatever comes out of my mouth, but if you intentionally misconstrue what i say and mistakenly convince yourself that a colloquial expression like "thats gay" is an attack on the LGBT community then the problem is completely yours.

Or maybe the manner in which you choose to communicate can be easily mis-interpreted in which case it falls on you to better articulate yourself. Using crude language is only demonstrative of poor vocabulary skills. About the only time I believe that swearing is appropriate is when you accidently stub your toe on the corner of the coffee table.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • I don't understand this mindset personally. If there are LGBT people who are openly asking you not to use it because it offends them, then how are you the person who has the right to say whether it is an attack on them or not? It's just kind of boggling, because when people ask me to stop saying things that are offensive I do it out of respect to people - not try to defend my actions and tell them to get over it.

you're right, i'd probably stop openly using the phrase if someone expressed that it offended them, but that's because i have enough social skills to maintain a civil interaction and conversation instead of blatantly starting drama over a freaking word lol. but honestly i'd be rolling my eyes internally because it is just such a trivial matter and completely doesn't warrant an offended reaction.

i use this phrase openly with several LGBT friends all the time, and whatya know, they use it as well, so i'm glad that people even in that demographic still recognize the triviality in this colloquial, just-for-fun expression.

Or maybe the manner in which you choose to communicate can be easily mis-interpreted in which case it falls on you to better articulate yourself. Using crude language is only demonstrative of poor vocabulary skills. About the only time I believe that swearing is appropriate is when you accidently stub your toe on the corner of the coffee table.

or maybe it isn't. because sooner or later you will realize that people with vocabulary spans far greater than yours still love dropping the f-bomb and you're completely misjudging them because of your inability to look past the fact that omg some1 just said a sware werd

words are just words and can change in meaning depending on context. obviously a great portion of society thinks otherwise, but that's society's problem. the frequency of dropping the f-bomb is not indicative of what kind of person you are even though society seems to think so, and neither are the amount of tattoos you have or the way you dress. the whole concept of "crude language" is just stupid and people need to get over these words that are just plain words.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
  • you're right, i'd probably stop openly using the phrase if someone expressed that it offended them, but that's because i have enough social skills to maintain a civil interaction and conversation instead of blatantly starting drama over a freaking word lol. but honestly i'd be rolling my eyes internally because it is just such a trivial matter and completely doesn't warrant an offended reaction.

Well I'm glad for that lol. The eye-rolling of yours internally sort of makes me eye-roll in turn... (eye-roll ception???) but I appreciate that you, unlike other people, can at least respect that.

i use this phrase openly with several LGBT friends all the time, and whatya know, they use it as well, so i'm glad that people even in that demographic still recognize the triviality in this colloquial, just-for-fun expression.

This one depends for me. I use it and I'm LGBT, but I only want people to use it around me if they understand what I use it for. Like when I say something is "really gay" I mean it as literally... two men being affectionate or something. Rather than someone just going "Your shoes are gay" which is sort of callous. I mean contextually it's important because slurs attack groups of people, but if people around you are comfortable using that slur in a re-claimed fashion (I let my friends know what I personally find offensive) then people should go ahead and use them.

But at the same time I just find it callous to go "well there's nothing harmful at all to it" when there are kids who constantly hear it as a bad thing. But /shrug.

or maybe it isn't. because sooner or later you will realize that people with vocabulary spans far greater than yours still love dropping the f-bomb and you're completely misjudging them because of your inability to look past the fact that omg some1 just said a sware werd

(Y)

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I actually put a spin on it, and literally say "That's so homosexual". Mind you, I'm gay and that's why I say it. It's sort of like how black people make black jokes - it does throw some people off, but it's taking something offensive, and turning it into an ironic joke. So I say that occasionally when I'm around close friends who know I'm kidding.

In general, though, I don't like it when people use "That's so gay". Most people do mean it as offensive term, even if they're not homophobic - it's still got a negative meaning. So I don't like it when I hear it used, and I think it's tacky. Always makes me feel kinda bad if I overhear it. You never know when someone is kidding or not, and that's the catcher.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016

Or maybe I grew up during a time when people had more respect for others and wouldn't use that kind of language even if they wanted to. It was drilled into us that usage of that kind of language had some pretty severe consequences. For me, the consequences involved having to decide which bar of soap my mouth was going to get washed out with. For the record, I chose Irish Spring.

Years
  • Or maybe I grew up during a time when people had more respect for others and wouldn't use that kind of language even if they wanted to. It was drilled into us that usage of that kind of language had some pretty severe consequences. For me, the consequences involved having to decide which bar of soap my mouth was going to get washed out with. For the record, I chose Irish Spring.

godammit i love irish spring

i'd say that's so gay/homo to something that is either on the surface or extremely homo. there are undertones of guilty pleasure.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016

i'd say that's so gay/homo to something that is either on the surface or extremely homo. there are undertones of guilty pleasure.

Context is everything, of course. The use of the phrase "that's so gay" as a pejorative clearly deserves to be rebuked for its offensiveness. Used in the manner you described, in jest, the phrase can in fact be considered quite endearing and would probably cause a chuckle or two. What I object to is the association of the word gay with something negative.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024

I'm not arguing your position on the word - I don't exactly care if you say something is gay. But what the hell does that mean? Literally the only way I can think of someone saying something "is gay" and being extremely homo is seeing two same sex people making out, making love, or anything sexual or romantic. And yet I hear that being said all the time as a reason behind using that phrase. That something is extremely homo. What does that mean? Surely you don't go around watching same sex couples share their affection and then commenting on how they're gay. I truly do not understand.

Years
  • I think it's poking fun at the fact that a lot of men don't want to be seen as homo, so you blow up everything that could be possibly construed as homo, no matter how minor it is, look at them dead in the eye and say "now that's pretty homo". That, and guilty pleasure :3

homo is such a cute word

Years
  • I think it's poking fun at the fact that a lot of men don't want to be seen as homo, so you blow up everything that could be possibly construed as homo, no matter how minor it is, look at them dead in the eye and say "now that's pretty homo". That, and guilty pleasure :3

homo is such a cute word

Are you OK? I mean really I'm actually concerned about you because damn.

People use the words "Gay" and "Homo" as INSULTS, to talk about something they DON'T LIKE, thereby basically saying they don't like gay people. It's not a cute word at all and if you're not a gay person you shouldn't use it in such a harmful way.

I don't know if you live in the same world as the rest of us but it's time to wake up.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I think it's poking fun at the fact that a lot of men don't want to be seen as homo, so you blow up everything that could be possibly construed as homo, no matter how minor it is, look at them dead in the eye and say "now that's pretty homo". That, and guilty pleasure :3

homo is such a cute word
    If you're cool with potentially hurting people's feelings if you say it outloud in public, then keep on keepin' on, I guess. :/

Sir Codin

For me, the consequences involved having to decide which bar of soap my mouth was going to get washed out with. For the record, I chose Irish Spring.

Okay, I'm just going to come out and say that's just plain child abuse and if you're being serious, then you'll have to forgive me for thinking we live in better times.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Okay, I'm just going to come out and say that's just plain child abuse and if you're being serious, then you'll have to forgive me for thinking we live in better times.

Maybe (and remember this was almost 30 years ago), but my father only ever had to do that once. Learned my lesson the first time to be respectful of others and to watch my language. Of course immediately after the mouth washing he made sure I rinsed my mouth thoroughly and brushed my teeth so as to avoid getting sick. By today's standards it'd be considered child abuse, sure, but back then parents were very serious about disciplining their children for being rude, disrespectful and using inappropriate language. Something I wish parents of today would do. Unfortunately, parents these days are too busy being their kid(s) best friends.

finalrayne

High Roller
    Years
  • Okay, I'm just going to come out and say that's just plain child abuse and if you're being serious, then you'll have to forgive me for thinking we live in better times.

Nope things like mouth being washed out with soap still happens. Some parents make there kids take a couple drops of hot sauce which I don't agree with but I also wouldn't find as punishment I could sit and drink a bottle of hot sauce as long as I had celery and ranch to wash it down with.

Sir Codin

Maybe (and remember this was almost 30 years ago), but my father only ever had to do that once. Learned my lesson the first time to be respectful of others and to watch my language. Of course immediately after the mouth washing he made sure I rinsed my mouth thoroughly and brushed my teeth so as to avoid getting sick. By today's standards it'd be considered child abuse, sure, but back then parents were very serious about disciplining their children for being rude, disrespectful and using inappropriate language. Something I wish parents of today would do. Unfortunately, parents these days are too busy being their kid(s) best friends.

My parents never had to do that. Not once. They'd just yell at me and that was enough. My dad had this booming voice that would strike fear into the heart of a demon, I mean it.

Of course, they're not as adverse to me swearing as they used to be. They tell me straight up I can swear as much as I want so long as I use it in the right context and in the right situations. I don't curse like a sailor at work, but around my friends who also swear, they don't mind. Best you can do before swearing is ask if they're okay with it.

I don't know how I'd approach my kids swearing anyway, though. Mainly because I don't plan on having kids for a while...if at all.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Maybe (and remember this was almost 30 years ago), but my father only ever had to do that once. Learned my lesson the first time to be respectful of others and to watch my language. Of course immediately after the mouth washing he made sure I rinsed my mouth thoroughly and brushed my teeth so as to avoid getting sick. By today's standards it'd be considered child abuse, sure, but back then parents were very serious about disciplining their children for being rude, disrespectful and using inappropriate language. Something I wish parents of today would do. Unfortunately, parents these days are too busy being their kid(s) best friends.

So parents today aren't as quick to consider the virtues of making children put toxic chemicals into their mouth, in other words. Is that really a bad thing though? I don't think that it's necessarily that they don't like to discipline their kids. Perhaps they're just more responsible with their discipline? I think the best discipline is one that builds character (doing chores, making them run laps, etc.).

Anyways, thinking about it some more, I think I'd be offended depending on the person who said it. If it was someone who I knew was homophobic and I knew that they were saying "that's so gay" because they actually think that being gay is a negative thing, then I'd be offended. But if it was someone who I knew had no problem with LGBT people, then I'd have no reason to be offended, because they probably didn't mean anything by it.

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
    Years
  • Wow. I did not expect this thread to last as long as this with so much contradiction and relentless insanity. Here is my next mobile debate post.
    This is gay. All of us here. Discussing to one another. Gay right? Well, until ignorant blokes come in to blatently say emotional and probably physical pain is dealt daily to people they may or may not know. Wow.
    I'm going to use a controversial slur on you. You, (gladly not) my friend, are acting retarded. You deserve thia because people ignorant like you is what's tearing apart this world. And there is 2 types of ignorance, straight up disrespect towards people you don't like/find attractive and people who simply are not really in the fault for knowing due to lack of knowledge/facts/rumors/etc.
    Which one are you?
    Gay should be in reference to happy, or homosexuality when it is happening . For example.
    "Are you having a gay time yet?" (The Great Gatsby)
    *two men or women kissing in public* its nice to see the gay community is slowly reaching higher and higher levels of equality within our dragged society.
    I have used "That's so gay" in the past but it was once or twice but that years ago. Now its not really that offensive to me but I know that there are people who are showered with insults by people like you. How do I know? I once was too.
    I try to end this debate but it wont happen so I have to say, people who intentionally say "gay and co" references are bringing themselves down.

Its not about gay pride.

Its about equality for ALL of humanity.

Back