• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That's so gay.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Sorry, you misunderstood. I was referring to the attitude of some of the younger generation as illustrated by your statement, not your use of the word "fart."

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Sorry, you misunderstood. I was referring to the attitude of some of the younger generation as illustrated by your statement, not your use of the word "fart."

sorry you completely missed the point of my post in which the attitude of the younger generation finds its justification. you can find that in the 95% of my former post that you completely neglected to address in your last post.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    Since I have no interest in engaging in a cyclical debate I only address the points I feel I need to.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2022
    It irritates the hell out of me actually but I think its more to do with incorrect use of the word than the word itself. I have no issue with people being gay and I would not use the word as a negative slur on them anyway but mostly its just a sort of thing for me, where I get annoyed with people using the wrong words for things. Hyper and hypo are a big one for me. People go to me I'm so hypo. And I go mental and go NO YOU'RE NOT! Your HYPER! If you were hypo you would be unconscious on the floor! *calms down* So yeah its more of a "can you not even use a 3 LETTER 1 SYLLABLE word correctly!" thing. It only has TWO meanings and lame is not one of them! XD

i have no idea what the first line of your post even means lol

the younger generation doesnt give a flying fart about satisfying your idea of a "proper" sentence by censoring their own language when they can just talk in the way that comes naturally to them. the way you talk is no more superior than the way the younger generation talks. and if you think that people in their 40s and 50s dont drop f-bombs any less than 20 somethings, then lolololololololololololol you need to get out of your little retail store bubble and see that f-bombs are everywhere at every age, on the streets and in the workplace, socially and professionally.

i'm saying that language that is offensive to you, such as cursing, is stupid and has no offensive qualities. there is no reason to be offended by a four letter synonym for poop. you're only offended because everyone else is offended, and you think that youre supposed to be offended as well. there's no basis for being offended at all by a synonym for poop whatsoever, which sums up my opinion that people like you are just far too anal about language and i just have to roll my eyes at you when you're just like GASP THAT MAN JUST SAID ♥♥♥♥ CALL THE COPS

I think what he/she (sorry) actually meant there was that there is no such thing as one generation being superior over another. That each has their flaws.

And You basically hit the nail on the head right there. Proper English DOESN'T come naturally to them now, its as if young people either don't know how or cannot be bothered to express themselves in proper sentences if a swear word will do. Not that the other poster is actually offended by those terms but that it is surprising how often they are used in a single sentence and that younger people do seem to substitute curse words in lieu of actually using the appropriate descriptive word.

For example when they say this class is ♥♥♥♥. Rather than this class is boring or this class is too easy/hard/hot/cold/dark and dreary and so on. ♥♥♥♥, doesn't actually describe anything (excpet actual ♥♥♥♥ :P) It just conveys their dislike of it but shouldn't actually be used as a descriptive word, because its not. That, I think, is what the other person was getting at. That young people just use swear words because its easier than finding the right word for the situation and whether or not they do it because they don't know how to express themselves correctly or whether they just can't be bothered. I don't think it was meant as a personal attack on you or anyone else.

Last edited by a moderator:

lozzop

Monkey slut!
    Years
  • Personally I wouldn't use the word gay for something lame or stupid, because even if you don't mean anything bad by it there may be impressionable people around you, particularly young children, who think that because you used a normal term to describe something negatively that you therefore think that of people associated with the term, in this case gay. It also implies you are associating the people described by that term with negative attributes and it's understanding how some people could take it the wrong way. I'm never really offended if people just use it on the off occasion though.

Years
  • Ok Guys and girls I can understand the debate I dont personally use the term but have read your comments and here are my thoughts. First the word "Gay" means happy to have a group take it as a label is their fault and complete garabage. Second a ♥♥♥ used to be a cigarette but they took that label as a term as a bad label as well. Now as for the other slur I've read here like the "N-word" that is a slur like Indian is for my people or redskin. Yet no one seems to say anything about that. Look the point I'm trying to make is that is when a group of people get together and say that offends me, maybe we as a people should say hey lets stop offending those people. But I guarantee that someone is goig to say that "The Redskins are Honoring the Native Americans"

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I think what he/she (sorry) actually meant there was that there is no such thing as one generation being superior over another. That each has their flaws.

Yep, I'm a he. At least I was the last time I checked... yep, still am. And you are right, that is what I was saying. I thought I made that clear. I guess not. For that I apologize.

And You basically hit the nail on the head right there. Proper English DOESN'T come naturally to them now, its as if young people either don't know how or cannot be bothered to express themselves in proper sentences if a swear word will do. Not that the other poster is actually offended by those terms but that it is surprising how often they are used in a single sentence and that younger people do seem to substitute curse words in lieu of actually using the appropriate descriptive word.

I think the term to use for people who refuse to use proper English is: lazy.

We truly do live in a very lazy and selfish world. It makes me really happy then, when I come across people who are not only selfless but are very articulate as well. These are people who don't need to insert multiple instances of the word "like" into the sentence (ie. "Like, he was going to the park, and like, he tripped and fell. Like, that was so funny." instead of "It was so funny when on his way to the park he tripped and fell."), or feel they have to be all "macho" or try to impress others by swearing every other word. It does not reflect well on the person speaking. At all.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Ok Guys and girls I can understand the debate I dont personally use the term but have read your comments and here are my thoughts. First the word "Gay" means happy to have a group take it as a label is their fault and complete garabage. Second a ♥♥♥ used to be a cigarette but they took that label as a term as a bad label as well. Now as for the other slur I've read here like the "N-word" that is a slur like Indian is for my people or redskin. Yet no one seems to say anything about that. Look the point I'm trying to make is that is when a group of people get together and say that offends me, maybe we as a people should say hey lets stop offending those people. But I guarantee that someone is goig to say that "The Redskins are Honoring the Native Americans"

I hope I'm misunderstanding - are you saying that gay people chose to make the f-word into a slur?

As far as comparing it to Native American slurs, there is a strong push against using those terms among many progressive communities. It's true that there is an issue with intersectionality often among various marginalized groups, but your response doesn't make sense to me - if you believe it's wrong, then you believe it's wrong even if you take issue with some people in that group not standing up for your group. If you don't believe it's wrong, then you don't believe it's wrong even if you take issue with some people in that group not standing up for your group. The morality of using the word is not linked to the amount of gay people that are against the name of the Redskins.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Insults do not become insults because people use them as compliments and then the group decides it has become an insult.

Do you feel the same way about the terms we were talking about related to Native Americans? Are they also cause by Native Americans taking them as bad, not the people that created and used the slur?

Melty~

Deku Princess(?)
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 7, 2014
    I don't like it when people misuse the word "gay" to insult others. If you think about it, it's the same as using the n-word or the r-word or offensive terms like "Redskin" in that it's a slur against an entire population of human beings. That just isn't right.

Last edited:

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Eh, as long as they don't mean it that way I don't care.

I stopped caring about what people said when I started working with the public.

Majestic Electric

Raining on your parade!
    Years
  • I find it stupid to be honest and I never use it. I would never want to be offensive towards gays because I personally have nothing against them, and I'm very supportive of gay marriage. I even have a few gay friends and they are some of the nicest people I have ever met. People need to give them a chance.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Eh, as long as they don't mean it that way I don't care.

I stopped caring about what people said when I started working with the public.
    This is kind of how I feel. I mean, you kind of have to take into consideration how people feel, and I would refrain from using it in front of someone who was truly offended by it. But I have gay friends that are perfectly fine with being called words that are traditionally slurs because we understand that we don't really mean it. Most of the time when those things occur it's a running gag, and to police other people's language takes the gag away and is just irritating - including to the person who "should be offended". It's also not up to you to determine what offends every [insert type of person here] person.

It kind of reminds me of my blind buddy and how we joke about his blindness - we both think it's funny because we understand that we actually care about each other, and it's not intended to hurt his feelings. If someone who didn't know him said those things though, he'd probably be really upset.

I honestly can't think of a slur at the moment that hasn't been used in such a manner (even the N-word, which I refuse to use). This is why context is important. Of course, since context is important, you really shouldn't be talking that way to a stranger.

Using the word "gay" in the manner of the title is really, honestly just lazy. My gay friends agree, but of course, they don't speak for everyone. Technically, "lame" is probably a worse alternative if you're sticking straight with the "don't offend anyone" rule because it's a term that was used against crippled people. But honestly, no one is offended by it. Very few people judge homosexuals on things that some 15 year old dopehead calls "so gay". Same with "lame". When does it become an issue? When it crosses the line and actually defines people used with that stereotype.

Last edited:

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Being that I am an individual who uses the three letter (or full) 'f word' to describe people I care about, I would be a hypocrite for finding that particular usage of 'gay' as offensive. I wouldn't use either of those words around someone who found them offensive, but otherwise I'm pretty amused by their usage.

I only ever use those words to joke, not when being serious. Because if someone seriously can't find another word to describe their detest other than 'gay', I would probably cringe. There's a time and a place for these things, of course. Loudly and publicly are not exactly options.

But it is fun to do around friends, granted you actually have an extended vocabulary beyond that. Because then it makes the situation even funnier!

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
  • Words and their meanings change over time, and there are words we say daily now that would make cartoon women from the past faint over dramatically in spades. The best way to avoid getting people offended is to let the word run its course. If the word ends up becoming stale as an insult, fine. If not, it can be considered more of an insult than a proper word, like the F-word, which has pretty much lost all meaning these days. I also feel this way about other words that have gone from being genuine identifiers for certain groups to being petty insults, such as the N-word. In my opinion, making a fuss about them when they're used in a way that has no connection to their original meanings is just making them more like true insults to the people who complain.

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2015
    I just think its disgusting, offensive, and hurtful to gay people. I myself am not gay so I can't really speak from their point of view, but its just not right to twist a part of someone into an insult like that.

Back