• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

That's so gay.

finalrayne

High Roller
Years
  • In regards to the post above me with the kissing in public I don't like it when anyone kisses in public well at least making out please do in the privacy of your own home or car... If its a hello or goodbye kiss I understand but anything else is not appreciated when a straight or Homosexual person does it. I always found its common decency not to do those things in public.

Hatsune Mika

FireRed Nuzlocke
    Years
  • But is it still right to judge about that? It may not be respectful yes, but would you rather them be in home showing that they are afraid to show they have a right too? Today's society is so imward to one's self and attractiveness of others. Do you see how now there are 16 and pregnant shows? Back then if a 16 year old was pregnant it was nearly unheard of. But why do younger and younger agea want to have sex? Because they care more about themselves and wanting pleasure instead of happiness for others. One day society is going to become so ♥♥♥♥ed up that there will be 12 year olds giving birth, and no one living after 50 and technology will pretty much be running everything. But imagine this.

Would you rather insult homosexuals and die due to a cult made of homosexual people out to kill "gayhaters" or to see homosexual people on the same level and maybe have one as your best friend or more.

finalrayne

High Roller
    Years
  • I already have homosexuals as friends we just don't talk about them being a homosexual because her and wife think its wrong for homosexuals to flaunt what they are she actually said it makes the homosexual community as a whole look bad. Just like I don't want a straight person flaunting that they are straight because I honestly think it would make them look stupid because I don't care if they are straight or not.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    So parents today aren't as quick to consider the virtues of making children put toxic chemicals into their mouth, in other words. Is that really a bad thing though? I don't think that it's necessarily that they don't like to discipline their kids. Perhaps they're just more responsible with their discipline? I think the best discipline is one that builds character (doing chores, making them run laps, etc.).

More that parents today aren't as quick to discipline their children for using bad language. Respect for others has gone right out the window. And then when someone tells these kids that they're being offensive, they pull out the "free speech" card as though they feel its a license to say whatever they want, wherever they want and to whoever they want, and they should be immune from criticism, or as they like to put it, trampling on their rights.

Years
  • Are you OK? I mean really I'm actually concerned about you because damn.

People use the words "Gay" and "Homo" as INSULTS, to talk about something they DON'T LIKE, thereby basically saying they don't like gay people. It's not a cute word at all and if you're not a gay person you shouldn't use it in such a harmful way.

I don't know if you live in the same world as the rest of us but it's time to wake up.

Perhaps it is you who should live in my world then. It's a nicer place.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
    Years
  • I dunno a world where you guys call "homo" because it's a "cute word" despite the fact they'd probably get uncomfortable due to the fact a lot of people use it as an insult (whether unintentionally or not) doesn't seem like a good world to me.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Well, I told one of my friends yesterday that I'm technically gay (bi), and he started asking me ridiculous questions like whether I like it up the butt or if I like sucking dick, and I gave him the middle finger and told him to shut the ♥♥♥♥ up. The difference being here is that we're good friends and he told me "he was just playing with me" and I'm aware and fine with that. He is a horny little bugger, and brings up sexual topics out of things and makes people deal with them; it's part of his persona and personality to go farther than most would with some topics.

I dunno if this explains it, but sometimes you can act a way that would be insanely hurtful to some and funny to others in the same position, and it applies in particular to this topic.

Years
  • Well, I told one of my friends yesterday that I'm technically gay (bi), and he started asking me ridiculous questions like whether I like it up the butt or if I like sucking dick, and I gave him the middle finger and told him to shut the ♥♥♥♥ up. The difference being here is that we're good friends and he told me "he was just playing with me" and I'm aware and fine with that. He is a horny little bugger, and brings up sexual topics out of things and makes people deal with them; it's part of his persona and personality to go farther than most would with some topics.

I dunno if this explains it, but sometimes you can act a way that would be insanely hurtful to some and funny to others in the same position, and it applies in particular to this topic.

He might be coming onto you. js

And yes context is key. But it's always interesting to hear what others have to say.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I'm still trying to figure out why people still use gay as an insult and not use "you little s word"
    Both are pretty uncreative insults. At least calling someone a ♥♥♥♥ is actually an insult lmao

On context: Context is extremely important. Some people will "insult eachother" as friends, which is usually a kind of running gag. The key difference here is that it's understood that no offence is intended and if offence is caused, the other person knows that the offender will back down and apologize, and it doesn't form their opinion on how they feel about that person or their social group.

I've had people say I'm going to hell because I tease my blind friend/SO but we tease each other about a lot of things. I would NEVER say the ♥♥♥♥ I do to my friend to other blind people because we don't share that same level of attachment to eachother. I have a similar relationship with my gay coworker. Same goes for anything potentially insulting.

If you don't like it, then you wouldn't be hearing it in front of your friends in the first place because they would try to respect your differences because they are your friend. We sometimes make mistakes but we try to understand each other as best as we can :)

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • Or maybe I grew up during a time when people had more respect for others and wouldn't use that kind of language even if they wanted to. It was drilled into us that usage of that kind of language had some pretty severe consequences. For me, the consequences involved having to decide which bar of soap my mouth was going to get washed out with. For the record, I chose Irish Spring.

please tell me more about how superior your generation is
    please tell me more about this respect you speak of

i understand now

it is perfectly okay to shove a bar of soap up your child's mouth
    it is perfectly respectful to condemn the nature of an entire generation
    BUT GOD FORBID I SAY A 4 LETTER SYNONYM FOR POOP

Sir Codin

i understand now

it is perfectly okay to shove a bar of soap up your child's mouth
    it is perfectly respectful to condemn the nature of an entire generation
    BUT GOD FORBID I SAY A 4 LETTER SYNONYM FOR POOP

Your sarcasm could level cities.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • I think that people should use that term properly. Something being gay doesn't mean stupid or dumb. I don't think it's really disrespectful but it just makes whoever using that term sound foolish in my eyes.

I don't really care though. I don't personally use it that way anyways and don't really get offended.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016

No such thing as a superior person/persons. We're all flawed. And the fact that you're getting all sarcastic shows me that you know better than to suggest that that's what I was saying. But you did it anyway.

I will say this though, if you cannot recognize the differences of the mannerisms of people of your parents' generation and the mannerisms of youth today (for the most part), then I would have to conclude that you must willfully be sticking your head in the sand blocking both your ears and your eyes.

I work in a big box retail store and I see the difference every single day from the conversations of the people that walk in. It's got nothing to do with being superior. It has everything to do with how different generations of people have been raised. I have never once in my life ever heard someone in their 40s or 50s use the phrase "that's so gay" or anything similar. If they think something is stupid they'll come out and say it's stupid.

On the other hand, when teens and people in their early to late 20s come in, the barrage of f-bombs that are being dropped in a single sentence is mind-boggling. It's as though the younger generation either doesn't know how to form proper sentences, or they are to lazy, or they just don't care. I'll bet you it's a combination of the three.

Last edited:

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • I wince inside whenever I hear people use the word "gay" to mean "stupid" or "lame." For god's sake, just say "stupid" or "lame!" I think that nowadays, with people getting offended at words like "crazy" or "bossy", not a lot of people know where to draw the line between being legitimately uncomfortable about a word, and being a crybaby.

That said, the use of the words "straight" or "gay" to describe anything other than someone's sexuality is not a good thing. In my opinion, using the word "gay" as an insult further marginalizes homosexuals. If kids are hearing the word "gay" as a synonym for stupid, and then hear that a person (a classmate, a family member, a friend, a stranger etc.) is gay, they might think "I've heard that gay means stupid, and now I'm hearing that this person is gay. I don't want to hang out with/be around them!" Obviously not with those exact words, but you get the idea.

If I hear somebody use the word "gay" as a derogatory term, I lose a substantial amount of respect for them. Words can sometimes be incredibly hurtful, whether we mean them to or not.

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 1, 2015
    I prefer not to use it, not just because the saying is sooo 3 years ago, but also because it's disrespectful to homosexual people. Using "That's so gay" under your circumstances with the pizza thing is super rude. You are unhappy about something, you call it gay, wouldn't it mean that you are unhappy with homosexuals? It's already hard enough to come out of the closet with supportive peers, don't make it even harder for them.

Euphoric

Indefatigable
    Years
  • In middle school, using "gay" as a derogatory term was widespread. I guess that's what you get when you have a bunch of immature 7th and 8th graders, haha. I used it too, then, but I try not to anymore because I'm now aware of what it means. It's a hard habit to break at times, though.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Terms such as 'gay,' '♥♥♥♥♥♥,' 'poof' are all just words created to place a label on something we as humans can't really comprehend. Unfortunately negative connotations have been established around these terms, but honestly, that's all they are. Words.

Words are only as powerful as the significance we give to them.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
  • No such thing as a superior person/persons. We're all flawed. And the fact that you're getting all sarcastic shows me that you know better than to suggest that that's what I was saying. But you did it anyway.

I will say this though, if you cannot recognize the differences of the mannerisms of people of your parents' generation and the mannerisms of youth today (for the most part), then I would have to conclude that you must willfully be sticking your head in the sand blocking both your ears and your eyes.

I work in a big box retail store and I see the difference every single day from the conversations of the people that walk in. It's got nothing to do with being superior. It has everything to do with how different generations of people have been raised. I have never once in my life ever heard someone in their 40s or 50s use the phrase "that's so gay" or anything similar. If they think something is stupid they'll come out and say it's stupid.

On the other hand, when teens and people in their early to late 20s come in, the barrage of f-bombs that are being dropped in a single sentence is mind-boggling. It's as though the younger generation either doesn't know how to form proper sentences, or they are to lazy, or they just don't care. I'll bet you it's a combination of the three.

i have no idea what the first line of your post even means lol

the younger generation doesnt give a flying fart about satisfying your idea of a "proper" sentence by censoring their own language when they can just talk in the way that comes naturally to them. the way you talk is no more superior than the way the younger generation talks. and if you think that people in their 40s and 50s dont drop f-bombs any less than 20 somethings, then lolololololololololololol you need to get out of your little retail store bubble and see that f-bombs are everywhere at every age, on the streets and in the workplace, socially and professionally.

i'm saying that language that is offensive to you, such as cursing, is stupid and has no offensive qualities. there is no reason to be offended by a four letter synonym for poop. you're only offended because everyone else is offended, and you think that youre supposed to be offended as well. there's no basis for being offended at all by a synonym for poop whatsoever, which sums up my opinion that people like you are just far too anal about language and i just have to roll my eyes at you when you're just like GASP THAT MAN JUST SAID ♥♥♥♥ CALL THE COPS

Back