• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat [2008]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Meh, they didn't teach Latin in my school, I taught myself... It was quite fun, to be honest... And it's a really great language, English originated from it. I think XD

Years
  • Kind of. While English is a Germanic language, a good deal of words in modern English do come from Latin roots.

I took Latin during my last year of high school. I liked it...barely remember anything of it, though. I liked taking French better.

My Latin teacher (who was also my French teacher) ended up asking me, on the first day of classes, if I was either sadistic or masochistic...since the school had scheduled both Latin and French III classes for me during the same semester. :x Haha.

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
    Years
  • Oh wow. Never taken to language classes at once. That sounds rather intense! X3

And, Latin is pretty useful in some areas. It (along with Greek) are what most medical and scientific names come from, as well as a gargantuan amount of words/roots/suffixes/prefixes/etc. in the English language. It's a good building block language, even if it isn't actively spoken, per se. (See?)

But, when in Florida, the best thing to learn first is Spanish. And so I am. =p

(I had to retype "language" almost every time in the message -- I kept switching my 'u' and 'a' for whatever reason.)

PunkerThanThou

way too punx for giraffes.
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 31, 2008
    Unless you're either planning to join the Roman Catholic clergy or interested in studying antiquities, I see no practical use for the Latin language.

What about the sake of learning? And etymology? That's why I'd learn it...Lawyers also need a good deal of Latin, too. Actually, in Boston there's a school, "Boston Latin" where they actually dedicate many hours to learning the language...

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • Unless you're either planning to join the Roman Catholic clergy or interested in studying antiquities, I see no practical use for the Latin language.

I never really did get Latin...and I still dont. XD

Kind of. While English is a Germanic language, a good deal of words in modern English do come from Latin roots.

I took Latin during my last year of high school. I liked it...barely remember anything of it, though. I liked taking French better.

My Latin teacher (who was also my French teacher) ended up asking me, on the first day of classes, if I was either sadistic or masochistic...since the school had scheduled both Latin and French III classes for me during the same semester. :x Haha.

I dont think they had latin at my old school. Of course i was in Special Education so i wouldnt know. XD

Years
  • I never really did get Latin...and I still dont. XD

I dont think they had latin at my old school. Of course i was in Special Education so i wouldnt know. XD

I really don't enjoy latin. It too confusing for me to understand, let alone learn. Thank god they don't have it at my High School.

I really wish they had Japanese at my school =[

Gοяκнaвоii

I am MIRAJ =]
    Years
  • yeah... i also want to learn jap... like really really want to learn... but i also want to learn Latin...
    i know a bit of german... and greek... its crap :P

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I taught myself a fair amount of Japanese before I actually found a course for it. I ended up taking a Saturday school course. XD; It's a really fun language. I wish I were more fluent in it though. It takes me forever to translate even simple things, sometimes. T_T

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I taught myself a fair amount of Japanese before I actually found a course for it. I ended up taking a Saturday school course. XD; It's a really fun language. I wish I were more fluent in it though. It takes me forever to translate even simple things, sometimes. T_T

I've been waiting almost a full year for a class to pop up somewhere in my area. T____T It's such a disappointment when they have none. The local college has Chinese and German classes though, which I don't care for.

PunkerThanThou

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 31, 2008
    I taught myself a fair amount of Japanese before I actually found a course for it. I ended up taking a Saturday school course. XD; It's a really fun language. I wish I were more fluent in it though. It takes me forever to translate even simple things, sometimes. T_T

That's really awesome. :] I started watching some Japanese stuff just for the hell of it, and when I realized it's a feminine AND masculine language it made me want to learn it even moreso than I did before...

Gοяκнaвоii

I am MIRAJ =]
    Years
  • =[
    my japanese is from me and my friends watching naturo fansubs xDXD

"DATTEBAYO" - 'yu'know
    "Teme" - rude way of saying a name
    "Baka" - Idiot

Cherrim

Years
  • Feminine and masculine? Huh? o_O Not in the traditional sense...

Anyway, I'm lucky that I live in such a big city. The classes were offered in a really Oriental area. 8D; I'll be taking Japanese again at my university next term, too. I still have to contact them and ask which course to take though. x_X

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
    Years
  • Feminine and masculine? Huh? o_O Not in the traditional sense...

Anyway, I'm lucky that I live in such a big city. The classes were offered in a really Oriental area. 8D; I'll be taking Japanese again at my university next term, too. I still have to contact them and ask which course to take though. x_X

So Erica, do you wanna teach me Japanese? :D Nah, I kid. XD That would take you forever to do. XD

I've always wanted to learn it though but I do know very little Japanese.

PunkerThanThou

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 31, 2008
    Feminine and masculine? Huh? o_O Not in the traditional sense...

Err...How do I explain it. /Idiot alert LMAOOO
    I don't even know how to explain it. Grammatically, the words change depending on whether you're speaking to a female or male...gender specific, I suppose?

Tangerine Fox

82% Non-Toxic
    Years
  • Err...How do I explain it. /Idiot alert LMAOOO
    I don't even know how to explain it. Grammatically, the words change depending on whether you're speaking to a female or male...gender specific, I suppose?

Gender-specific language?

Spanish is a lot like that, too, as are a number of other languages, if I remember correctly. :3

PunkerThanThou

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 31, 2008
    Gender-specific language?

Spanish is a lot like that, too, as are a number of other languages, if I remember correctly. :3

Yep. French, Spanish, Hebrew...most Oriental languages. English is an obvious one that isn't. :P Arabic is REALLY interesting grammatically, and I'd also really like to learn the written language...I always drove around Israel wondering what all the signs said near Arab villages...oO

Cherrim

Years
  • I thought that's what you meant, and that's not really the case with Japanese. You may change a few of the words you use, but that's more out of politeness. Words don't have gender in Japanese and such.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back