• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat [2008]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
Years
  • I wish I could remember how to remotely turn off one of the kids' computers via Command prompt, but alas, I cannot. darn it'd be so easy to mess with them that way.

Hmmmm interesting, none of our teachers knew a thing about the new computers, lol.

They were just like !HELP DESK! if anything pop'd up, but of course a student would step in and completely spoil our gaming. xD

GOsh those days were fun, avoiding blocks on game sites and playing all day, what rebels. >D

benji

ウサギちゃん!
    Years
  • I wish I could remember how to remotely turn off one of the kids' computers via Command prompt, but alas, I cannot. darn it'd be so easy to mess with them that way.

I think it was just the "shutdown" command in Command Prompt. Wait, let me dig up a KB article... here. (It's for Windows 2000, and says it requires installing a "resource kit", but it should be the same, and pre-installed, on XP.) I gotta try this someday. >.<

Hmmmm interesting, none of our teachers knew a thing about the new computers, lol.

They were just like !HELP DESK! if anything pop'd up, but of course a student would step in and completely spoil our gaming. xD

GOsh those days were fun, avoiding blocks on game sites and playing all day, what rebels. >D

Our schools' computers go through a proxy (they can only access the local network without the proxy), which checks for profanity, etc. I'm sure they also have a "blacklist" of sites, but the thing is, if you route your browser through another proxy after the school proxy, the filter will still block the site, since it scans the text. XD

And I know my school's WiFi password. Mwahahahaha. >:]

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Indeed.

I just went into school after being sick for six days, and I learned that I missed all my Easter tests 'cept for geography, which I got one hundred per cent.

Which means I have a one hundred per cent average for my Easter tests.

Go me for being a cheap person.

Oh yeah, and reports are expected within the next twenty-four hours. Mine will just be N/A the whole way for the test results.

Spaekle Oddberry

this is why i'm hot
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    The teachers at my school use some kind of prompt thing to shut down kids' computers if they aren't working. I was looking up random anime stuff one day in the library, and all of a sudden there was this big message on my screen being all "GTFO THE COMPUTER YOU AREN'T LEARNING!". And sometimes they control your mouse and all from their computer and shut it down themselves. It's quite startling. D:

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • yes I know all about the admin tools to do that, but usually I'm using my Mac, so I don;t have access to that. I just have access to my Terminal, which interacts like Command prompt. o well, It was still fun back in high school when the juniors had computer class at the same time in a different Lab. they would always complain that their computers were shutting down randomly and IT couldn't figure out why XD

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    The teachers at my school use some kind of prompt thing to shut down kids' computers if they aren't working. I was looking up random anime stuff one day in the library, and all of a sudden there was this big message on my screen being all "GTFO THE COMPUTER YOU AREN'T LEARNING!". And sometimes they control your mouse and all from their computer and shut it down themselves. It's quite startling. D:
    Most schools have that, but a lot of them are usually pretty lax. It's happened to me a few times as well, freaked me out when I didn't know what the heck was going on. I also remember this pair of lesbian girls I knew back in high school who claim that they saw something homophobic written on their screens. I don't think the school cared too much, or actually believed them. XD;

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    My computer sciences teacher actually has a program or something that allows him to shut down every single computer in the computer lab from his laptop. I've never seen it in action, although, it sounds quite amazing.

My school computers have pretty much every single game blocked from the network - Minclip, Addicting Games, even Newgrounds. Even the computer's Minesweeper and Solitaire are blocked. XD;

Spaekle Oddberry

this is why i'm hot
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen May 31, 2013
    My school had every URL with the word "games" in it blocked for a long time; I don't know if they still do, but eventually people who were doing reports on sports and whatnot started complaining. :\

Aside from that, all we really have blocked are things like MySpace and Facebook. I've heard some school even block things like Fanfiction.net and Deviantart, but those are okay for us. o_o

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    My school has MySpace and Facebook blocked too. My elementary school had MSN Hotmail blocked, but I don't think my high school does. We ended up getting around those, anyway. :/

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Our computers in school block just about every website there is, which makes it really hard to log in to, say, PC.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Mine's pretty massive. My computer sciences classroom also doubles as the school's computer lab and there are almost thirty computers in that room. There are also a bunch of computers in the library, however, those computer work incredibly poorly and you could never get work done there if you tried. T_T

There are close to 1600 people in my school and about 19 portables, and it just keeps growing every year. It's getting a little annoying, especially because more people means more students in the hallway. More students in the hallway means more people blocking the hallways which, in turn, equals an unhappy Scarlet & friends. XD;

The Infinite Devil Machine

Obvious, with hindsight
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2020
    There are about 1100 students at my school. All ten computers are in the library but they're all dells from 2001. >_> There's also a lab upstairs but we like, can't go in their for some reason. x_x

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I guess there are only 500 students on my school.. Which is cool because you can know well almost anyone...

That was like my elementary school. I had so many friends in younger grades, and I even knew a bunch of people younger than my sister. Although half of them probably won't remember me now, though. It was still cool.

The computers in my school are all IBM. They're terrible, but I guess it could be worse. >.> At least they're running XP in the computer lab. The library ones still run Windows 98, which is ten years old and completely dated. XD;

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • Mmm number of kids in my school? well hmmm online school so...

Well I guess about a fifth of the state of florida for me, too bad I can't interact with any of them, another flaw of online school :\

As for the computers, It's who ever owns what at their house XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back