• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Daily Chit-Chat, Chat-Chit, Chit-Chit, Chot-Chut Choot Shoot Chute Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I rather enjoy J-rock/pop as well, mostly because of Jorge's influence. And coming back to heavy metal, I can sympathise with you, Erica, when you say most heavy metal music you hear ends up sounding like noise. A lot of the time it's just a bunch of screaming and intense instruments that really enforce the ringing inside my ears.

I sometimes don't see where the appeal lies in this sort of music, but it's a taste for other people I guess.
    I get to deal with a brother who only enjoys heavy metal, and it's very frustrating. I don't understand how it's considered music, but yeah, I guess it's just a taste for other people. :/

I mean, some heavy metal is okay, but most of it isn't what I find tolerable.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • I hear ya. I'm not a very big fan of heavy metal either. D: Only band in the genre like is Iron Maiden and even then I only like... I guess some of their softer songs? Something like that. Most other heavy metal I hear just ends up sounding like noise to me. ._.

Well, I like Metallica too but apparently there are disputes that they're even in the genre. I always considered them more rock than metal anyway.

...you didn't listen to their first stuff, that's for sure.
    Their albums Kill'em All (which was going to be named Metal Up Your Ass), Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets are pure Thrash Metal. But then they started screwing up and going into more light stuff. St. Anger, for example, was a total piece of crap. But they are getting heavier again.

IRON MAIDEN <3

I rather enjoy J-rock/pop as well, mostly because of Jorge's influence. And coming back to heavy metal, I can sympathise with you, Erica, when you say most heavy metal music you hear ends up sounding like noise. A lot of the time it's just a bunch of screaming and intense instruments that really enforce the ringing inside my ears.

I sometimes don't see where the appeal lies in this sort of music, but it's a taste for other people I guess.

A-a-a-a. Wowow. Stop. If you are talking about pure Heavy Metal, there is no screaming. At all. That's for Death Metal, Metalcore, and stuff like that. The voices in pure Heavy Metal are clean.
    And the instrumental also depends. Amplified guitars are mandatory in Metal, but the speed and heaviness varies from style to style. Lightning-paced, heavy drum beats are almost never found in pure Heavy Metal too. I understand that the instrumental may be a bit much to whoever isn't used to it, but... yeah, it's a matter of getting used to it.
    Even in Metal, there are certain songs it's absolutely impossible to dislike. Hallowed Be Thy Name by Iron Maiden being one of them.

The appeal is exactly the instrumental part. Most of the best guitarists that have ever existed are/were Metal musicians. And most of the lyrics are really nice too, Metal bands talk about everything in their songs (Megadeth, for ex.)

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Oh, hey, music discussion! :D

I can handle some screamo music, but nine times out of ten, it just...really hurts my ears. A lot of the groups that I listen to it don't even apparently do "real" screamo, which is fine, I guess. I know I could never stand heavy metal as a kid and...I still sorta can't, but I do have an appreciation for anything that happens to be well composed.

I don't understand how it's considered music, but yeah, I guess it's just a taste for other people. :/
    Proooobably in the same manner that any other form of modern music is considered music, but you'll still find older people and history in general would kinda laugh at the thought.

I typically enjoy...well, no real preference. I guess I would say either well produced hip hop, which means like 1% of what's out there, anything with a sexy guitar and bass line, and pop music. If it all somehow manages to combine into one ungodly beast of music, I'll probably like it more. I've also got a really strong love for jazz and electronic music. Again, combine them and I'm in heaven. Though I'll typically listen to anything as long as it doesn't give me a headache.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I've never been big on metal, but I don't dislike the genre. I have a few friends who really like metal music and I'd listen to it once in a while with them, but I never really got into it myself. Listening to it made me appreciate it, but not necessarily like it.

Going back to J-Pop, I used to listen to a lot of it back when I was 11-14 or so, but now I've narrowed it waaaay down to just, like, Utada Hikaru because I've gotten to a point where I like to really listen to the lyrics of a song, and well... I don't speak Japanese. XD; And like Erica said, it all blurs together and I end up being unable to tell them apart.

I really like putting my entire music library on iTunes on shuffle sometimes and see what songs come up. I like how I'd get, say, an Imogen Heap song next to something like Breaking Benjamin, and then back to something like Cobra Starship to an FFVII Piano Collections song. That's usually when I'm not in a mood for a particular genre and I really don't care what kind of songs I listen to, though. XD;

Years
  • Most of what people consider heavy metal is specifically screamo or death metal, or even just hard rock in some cases. In fact, I've even heard some Christian metal where the lyrics are mostly being screamed out. Though I find these songs fun to "sing" along with as a great way to relieve my stress, since I'm a person who likes to avoid yelling and screaming at people because of personal stress.

I can stand most genres, but if I get overexposed to a song (and various genres have different levels of exposure I can handle), I will complain or change the song/station every time I hear it.

Years
  • Well my favourite band are Bon Jovi, so I guess you could say I like rock music - I do enjoy Boston and Europe, etc., but not modern rock - it's not as good imo. My music capacity isn't limited to the 80s though, aha, I do listen to the likes of Take That and The Plain White Ts, U2, etc. Idk, I guess I'm a pop/rock person. Heavy metal is just...idk. But I especially hate the screaming music. RnB and rap I can barely stand.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I've never been big on metal, but I don't dislike the genre. I have a few friends who really like metal music and I'd listen to it once in a while with them, but I never really got into it myself. Listening to it made me appreciate it, but not necessarily like it.

Going back to J-Pop, I used to listen to a lot of it back when I was 11-14 or so, but now I've narrowed it waaaay down to just, like, Utada Hikaru because I've gotten to a point where I like to really listen to the lyrics of a song, and well... I don't speak Japanese. XD; And like Erica said, it all blurs together and I end up being unable to tell them apart.

I really like putting my entire music library on iTunes on shuffle sometimes and see what songs come up. I like how I'd get, say, an Imogen Heap song next to something like Breaking Benjamin, and then back to something like Cobra Starship to an FFVII Piano Collections song. That's usually when I'm not in a mood for a particular genre and I really don't care what kind of songs I listen to, though. XD;
    Even though I already knew that about you, high five for powerpop!

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    ^ *high fives*

Although I think I made it very obvious a few years ago that I really liked them. XD;

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    Rap and hip-hop got me into music. Now I don't listen to it as much anymore, but I still check out new songs every once in a while. Most of my music is pop or all the various forms of rock, but I have a bit of probably nearly every genre except for screamo, electronic, and country.

I think people who flat-out deny any genre as being "true music" should try being less close-minded. I always hear about rap being the bane of music. Rap isn't always about girls and money, and there are some artists that don't follow the typical rapper stereotype. To say all rap is horrible is ignorant.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I got into music when I was much younger and it was mostly pop, I never really liked rap or hip-hop, mostly just pop. I even had a Hannah Montana obsession when I was like, 9 D:

Now my favorite type of music is punk rock, and my favorite band is My Chemical Romance (hater gon' hate) because I really like all of their songs. I mean literally ALL of them. I also like screamo, at least the sort that I can understand, and I also still listen to pop. I also like Electronic music. I like Owl City also, I honestly think his project just got popular rather than being made for something like that because he seems to retain the meaning in his songs.

I got into music when I was much younger and it was mostly pop, I never really liked rap or hip-hop, mostly just pop. I even had a Hannah Montana obsession when I was like, 9 D:

Now my favorite type of music is punk rock, and my favorite band is My Chemical Romance (haters gon' hate) because I really like all of their songs. I mean literally ALL of them. I also like screamo and metal, which I understand are two different genres, and also at least the sort of screamo I can understand. I usually don't like black or death metal. Mostly just thrash metal. I also still listen to pop. I also like Electronic music. I like Owl City also, I honestly think his project just got popular rather than being made for something like that because he seems to retain the meaning in his songs.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I wasn't really into music when I was younger, it was only when I started to get into my early teens that I started to live by it! XD

I had been playing the piano since I was 8 and I really did enjoy it. Then I started to listen to metal music when I was about 13, and I loved it so much. I still kept up playing the piano, since I loved playing it! XD
    I took my 5th grade playing and theory test for piano then stopped getting lessons, because I could teach myself the pieces at that point.
    Then I started to pick up a guitar and play the drums, and I love them to this day. Self taught guitar and drums! :3

tl;dr version - From 13 I couldn't live without music.​

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Ehh, music. I like music. I dream of being a composer. Too bad, I don't know if that will ever happen. I hope it does, though.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I didn't really listen to music when I was a kid and I don't know why. :( I wasn't really even into pop groups like the Spice Girls at the time. The only people I remember liking were Britney Spears and Aqua. This probably explains why I'm still a bit of a Britney stan these days haha.

I started playing the piano when I was six years old, and I got pretty far, even almost skipping a grade. I quit when I was ten years old, before I could skip that grade though haha. Actually, I didn't get back into lessons until I was seventeen, so it's only been a year and a half and I'm glad that it didn't take me very long to catch up. Playing the piano is such a wonderful escape, and it's so much fun, too. :)

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Reminds me when I had a piano when I was a kid. It was just a toy, but it produces real piano music. Ehh, I was 6 back then and the only song I could play was "Happy Birthday". Then I got a guitar last year. Well, right now, I'm in no mood for instruments.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    I fail at the guitar. x_x; I've been trying to play since I was thirteen and I could never grasp it for some reason. It sucks because I really want to play. I have this guitar I bought when I was thirteen and I hardly use it, haha.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Well, its pretty easy once you get used to it. You just have to flow with the music. xD

JeXsus™

I don't need an avatar!
    Years
    • Age 31
    • NY
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    I love to play my guitar. I'm not amazing at it, but it doesn't stop me. ^_^

I play acoustic covers and I mostly free play. I can also sing so it's more fun.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back