• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Food Thread

Years
  • I have a t-shirt with a little cartoon agedashi tofu on it. So cute. It's a good dish to offer someone because it's not as tofu-y as plain tofu. So is aburaage since it's deep fried.

Oh, and there's inarizushi, which is rice (and possibly other things) stuffed into a fried tofu skin.

The Food Thread

And yes, I have tried several different varieties of cheeses from cheap American plastic to fancy European vein-y. All were unappealing to me so I don't have much hope that there's one out there I'll like.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I don't think I've ever had actual Japanese food, other than Kotobuki and some Japanese Chicken at a buffet, but even them I'm not too sure. I've had ramen, but it's been those cheap ramen packets that you get at the store. However, a Japanese Buffet just opened in the area, so I might go there sometime and give it a shot. It's amusing, because it's right across the street from 'Ocean Buffet', which is Chinese/Hibachi/Something else I forget.

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    To be honest, I haven't tried even one Japanese food or dish, but I'd like to try out Sushi. <3

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    I've always wanted to try tofu...but I don't think any of my friends would ever want to, haha. So many things that I want to try, omg. I just want to eat all the food.

Chinese tofu is always tasteless! Not sure about Japanese Tofu though, but I am pretty sure its tasteless as well.

Years

• Can't you just...flavor it?

Sure you can. One common dish (in American Chinese restaurants at least) is mapo dofu, which is just some spicy sauce on top of tofu (and whatever veggies/meats the restaurant serves mixed it). It's one of the things I like to get a lot of Chinese places.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Scarf take me out for tofu cause no one here will :(

Years
  • The Food Thread

Mashed potatoes & gravy

Best.food.ever <3 I love this food the most, and my favorite breakfast food/

The Food Thread

Biscuits & Gravy

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years

• I know it's not like high-class food but my favorite japanese food is still...

The Food Thread
    Ah, glistening bubbles of fat. Delicious sheen. Seriously, that's the best thing about Asian soups.

I never understood the appeal of cheese. Everyone I know loves it and thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. And at the same time some of them are dead against eating tofu even though they're like made by a similar process and have similar textures, and with tofu you can flavor it with anything you want.

I really should try making a gratin with tofu instead of cheese and then feed it to people and see if they notice a difference.
    I think your problem would be that you're eating flavourless cheese. You can flavour tofu to anything you want (and you should, because otherwise it just tastes like nothing... and sometimes yuck XD). But cheese has a flavour.

The varieties of cheese are endless. Cow, goat, sheep, or buffalo? Italian, French, Canadian, Greek, English, or Dutch? Mild or strong? Dry or moist? Soft or hard? Creamy? And then there's the age of the cheese.

A cheese can be served with some kind of jam or maybe honey if you want. But, otherwise the flavour is the cheese itself and its essence. Some of the softer cheese (like a typical spreadable goat cheese) may be flavoured by being rolled in French herbs or some kind of jam. But given goat's natural flavour, those methods are more of a counter or enhancer.

oocyst

SOFTware
    Years
  • Have any of you guys ever tasted Norwegian kinds of cheese? They make really weird cheeses.

The Food Thread

This is Gammelost, or Old Cheese. I tasted it once, it's very, very bitter and I don't like it.

The Food Thread

Then there's Brunost, which means Brown Cheese. You eat it with jam on bread, I don't really know any other uses for it. It tastes like a very creamy thick coffee creamer..

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2014
    Sausages, Hot Dogs, weiners of all kinds! (except the one between your legs)
    The Food Thread

The Food Thread

The Food Thread

I have yet to try Sausage in soup, but it looks damn delicious!

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    I have never tasted those foods, except for hotdogs in a bun. XD

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I was going to make this in OVP, but since all food-related threads seem to get merged with this one, I might as well remove the middle-man of Andy/Sammi moving it here:

What's the most exotic food you've ever tried? How adventurous, in general, are you if something unusual comes up on a menu (like, say, kangaroo or something)?

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • What's the most exotic food you've ever tried? How adventurous, in general, are you if something unusual comes up on a menu (like, say, kangaroo or something)?
    Oh God....

When I went on a visit to China some time in 3rd grade, my sister gave me some weird-looking "meat" that honestly didn't taste that bad. Catch here is, she didn't TELL me what it was. Want to find out what it was?

Spoiler:

Snivy063

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2012
    What's the most exotic food you've ever tried? How adventurous, in general, are you if something unusual comes up on a menu (like, say, kangaroo or something)?
    There was this time that I didn't know what I was eating, but it was really delicious. My mom told me it's the intestines of the pigs, wasn't really that shocked but I think that was the most exotic food that I have ever tried. :3

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • What's the most exotic food you've ever tried? How adventurous, in general, are you if something unusual comes up on a menu (like, say, kangaroo or something)?
    Anytime I buy a fish filet sandwich at Wendy's instead of a burger or chicken nuggets, to be honest. I am definitely one for sticking to eating what I know and like, and I almost never step out of that comfort zone. I don't recall ever eating anything strange or exotic since my childhood days when I was forced by my parents to "clean everything on my plate."

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • Scorpion sounds all sorts of yummy! I guess I'm a sucker for weird and wonderful food. Black squid ink risotto, ostrich burger, frog's legs (well, that's not TOO exotic, but still)... and I'd love to try other weird and wonderful stuff. Crocodile is supposed to be quite the delicacy, as is kangaroo. Hopefully I'll get to do so at some point in my life but, as many people have said, these foods certainly don't come cheap.

Years
  • By "exotic" foods you mean something that goes against one's inclinations of what is or isn't "food" - basically, animals that most people don't normally eat/consider food, right? Like whale, kangaroo, and so on. In that sense I haven't been very adventurous since I'm a veggie.

But have you ever tried natto ramen? It's ramen... with natto.

The Food Thread

(This is natto, in case ya want a nice visual.)

Even in Japan a lot of people don't like it. I think it's super tasty.

One other thing that comes to mind are the weird flavored sodas that exist. Like shiso pepsi.

The Food Thread

Which is awful. Shiso is such a nasty flavor.

And I remember trying some of the Thanksgiving flavored sodas that Jones did a few years ago.

The Food Thread

The brussel sprouts one was particularly disgusting as I remember.

Back