• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Graphics Rating Thread [READ THE FIRST POST. D:<]

Status
Not open for further replies.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    Pikabloo:
    The bg a tad over blurred. An some parts of the rener are over sharpened making it look like the render was placed there. Some parts of her need to be blurry to show movement. I also prefer the colours that are applied to her on the avatar. o.o;

Nell

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2009
    to have a fit about writing text last night. *opens it now* And it better work this morning.

No it doesn't, works with new files just not with this one. hmmm *thinks*

I'm going to help you with that, because I once came close to committing suicide (lulz, I'm kidding XD) for that same reason. It's because of the document's resolution. When you open a new file in PS, you should set the resolution to 100, then text will be at its full size. I suggest that you create text in a new document using this method, rasterize it, then take it over to the tag you wish to paste the text onto, then style it in whatever way you feel like.

Shiranui
    Blah, munna took the words from my mouth. <_<; You need to sharpen up the background a tad, and give the girl's left side (from this point of view and angle and whatnot) a bit of motion blur, I think. Like, not on the actual render but a duplicate, set it overlay or w/e~ The effects are great though, I'm glad to see someone who consciously incorporates depth into their works with consistency. -thumbsup- :3

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • 1st: The c4ds are poorly blended and the colour scheme needs sorting out. Because there is like a dull grey cloudy looking area is breaking it all up. Layers need to be blended more. Would probably be better to just have one or two sprites, because if there are too many then it is hard to define a focal point. Needs to be lighter.

2nd: Better, use some photo filters and gradient maps... and it won't make it so monotonous. And use the burn and dodge tool (not too vigorously, just gently) And it will add some depth. Oh and clipping masks are fun too if you don't know how to do them here is a very quick explanation: Whenever you want to add a clipping mask, make a new layer and do Image>Apply Image... then make another new layer, move it under the applied image layer and hide the applied image (by clicking the eye). Then use a splatter brush on the other layer, considering flow and direction (basically same thing)... Use any colour, it won't matter. Then unhide the applied image layer again, right click and select 'create clipping mask' then move the applied image slightly to the left or right until you get the desired effect. Sometimes some splatters will show up, you just need to erase them slightly on the splatter brush layer to get rid of this (almost always happens).

This all assuming that you have photoshop. ^_^ hehe
    Yeh i got photoshop, only thing is i got Elements, which cant do clipping masks :P, and thanks for the compliments, Renneh, and sorry for calling you a girl. :P

Renneh

I know A Bot
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2009
    ^ lol

erm, do I not rate anything now then?

Here is one. It was a request on another forum.. but the request had loads of text in that I thought ruined it so me done another version lol.

Now to do the request over here...

Oh yes, and it feels SO GOOD to write text again.

THIRTY-SIX

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2015
    Well you could rate anything on this page ._.;
    Anyway It needs brightening up an d more dynamic text.

Renneh

I know A Bot
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2009
    Well you could rate anything on this page ._.;
    Anyway It needs brightening up an d more dynamic text.

The 'Renn' text? hehe, that is just there to mark it really ^^ The text that was on teh request was something like, 'Come back when you grow a pair' which was so long, it was just ick.

Thanks for the advice.

--

*picks from this page*

Gummy- me don't like where the text is, there is lots going on...lots of blood, too much. Quite monotonous in the colours and techniques, could do with even some different shades of red and a whole different colour alltogether. hehe I can imagine seeing it on one of those old cult horror films though as the advert or something. ^^

PiSToLZ

One tough cookie XD
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2011
    no one above me so
    v1-

v2-

v3-

v4-

also tell me what you think of this animation

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
    Years
  • Pistolz: Well, its a good start. I recommend blending the render in with the background, so it looks better. And also, the animation is a little slow, but good. What program do you use?

(You're not supposed to be able to read the text)

And Id like this to be rated by the newer garphic artists. (Loki and the others have seen this)

Supposedly one of my best banners.

Last edited:

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Kai: I was about to jump on the bandwagon and start spouting stuff about that banner all over again, but since I've already said most of what there is to say, I'll leave that one for someone else's two cents. xD

As for the Maple story banner, the blend is pretty cool, though I think it definitely could've been executed in a different, better manner. As for what that manner is, I have no idea, but as it is, the concept is the only +, the execution is a -. :/ The text doesn't seem dynamic enough for the background and render either, and I mean, you could most certainly use it as a solid place to rest your eyes, but it doesn't work since you've lowered the opacity so far. I'd actually suggest bringing up the opacity.

A lot. xD

Renneh: That Beat banner is too sexy for words. Although the weird repeats in front of him make him look a little too warped, so I would suggest getting rid of one or two of them, just so you can see Beat's torso a little better. (So it doesn't look like he's a floating head) The colors are amazing and while it's really empty on the left and right, and the light source is kind of dull, you could definitely play this up to be a seriously kick butt tag.

--------

Hazuki

delenda est.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    Kai: Erm no offense but um... the background looks like a big blur. Either that or it looks like you copied something and pasted it there. Just like Loki said, make the image more clearer. And I would add a border all the way.

Loki: I like the watercolor effect, it's pretty neat. To me it looks like one side has a border and the other doesn't? oo

The lighting effect is good too, I think the cyans can stand out a little more? It would look even better if there were text. :3

Gold19

Yes, I'm that One Guy
    Years
  • Loki-All I can say is, it great as always. My rating is 9 out of 10.

Hazuki-The banner seems a little bright (no offense, though). Here is my rating for your banner, 8.5 out of 10.

------
    Hope this gets rated.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Gold19: Although Samus shares similar colors with the background, she doesn't blend at all. Gradient Maps/smudging/etc. should fix that. The text also seems extremely plain; add some effects to it. I do like what you did with the lighting source, though.

~~~~~

Actually made this a while ago but never posted.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • @Gummy: It's good, and I can definately see an improvement from a few months ago... but the text style and color just doesn't match the banner... at all. x.x

Don't really know what I was doing here... experimenting... I guess? XD

Pinocchio

~\\Guiding Light//~
    Years
  • I'm bored right now so I guess I'll try a Loki style Graphics Rating Spree!

Renneh:
    This banner I like quite a lot. I think the background colours and smudging fits in really well with the render and gives a nice look about it. The clipping masks look great! They're kinda hard to see which makes them so great! The right side however is a bit empty and needs some text or some more effects. The border around the top and right side looks a bit wonky. I think that you should remove the right hand border and copy the top border and put it on the bottom.

Poke'd:
    Your first Pokemon banner is kinda weird. I think the effects and background are great, but the images were not placed in the best places and in the right way. I think they are not blended and sorta look out of place. If this is supposed to be a sprite banner thing, maybe edit the background to make it more simple. Font is great and positioned nicely!

The second banner (Hitsugaya) is very nice and I like it quite a lot. The blending and smudging of the render is truly amazing and fits in very well without looking over the top. The text is good but I don't know about that particular font. Maybe it is just me...
    Love the C4D's ( at least I think they are ) and the clipping masks. As I said with Renneh's, hard to see which makes em look great!

Gummy:
    Very out there banner. xP
    The render is nicely blended in and fits the theme of anger greatly. I think that the background is a bit simple for your experience. It kinda seems a bit monotone / plain if you ask me. I think it needs a little something like an effect or light source to help add some "oomph".

Shiranui:
    Very nice and unique style. I love the way that we get a realistic view of the scene which is very difficult to achieve in a banner. I know a lot of people would say that it is over blurred, but I know where you are coming from and think it looks great. Those reddish light beam things look awesome and add some special touches to the banner by helping it feel whole. Now all you need is some kickass text to help maintain the awesomeness. =P

Renneh:
    Beautiful! Simple but effective and looks great! Love the positioning of the render and how everything fits around it nicely. The clipping masks again are truly unbelievable and look great! Dual light sources adds that "Midas Touch" and makes the banner flow better and looks easier on the eyes.

Pistolz:
    You need to work on your blending so that the image looks like it was made to be on the banner. The background is very sharp and almost hurts... Try lowering the opacity or using some different effects to add depth to the banner. Nice attempt! It looks good but you just need to hone in on some minor details which will greatly improve the look of your banners.

.Kai:
    Your Maplestory banner is interesting. It looks like you took a picture and smudged and blurred it out crazily. This looks great but doesn't give the banner much depth. It looks good to the eyes, but it just doesn't have that special touch.

The "Whisper" banner is so simple which is why I love it so much. I love the way the render was placed and the way everything fits around it. The banner overall looks good and is nicely orientated. Although it is very simple and looks sketchy, I don't really think there is much to say on this banner due to its simplicity.

Loki:
    Great depicted scene here. I love the way how the entire banner fits together neatly while giving a great look. Lighting source is perfect and makes the banner look that much better. The smudging / blending is amazing. It is a great thing to look at when someone takes a render and makes it look like it was actually included in the original image and you did a great job of it. All it needs now is text which I'm sure will be the cherry on top.

Hazuki:
    I know that your style is photo manipulation and adding effects to make an image look great and you pulled it off wonderfully here. The banner is bright and colourful which I love in art. It is almost too bright, but in a good way. The text is great although I do think that the letters could be darkened a bit as some letters arfe harder to read than others.

Gold19:
    The render needs to be smudged in a bit more so it complements the background a bit better. The background is very simple but looks okay. Just try to add some effects in so that it has more depth, trust me, depth is the hardest thing to pull off but is amazing if you can. The text is very simple and needs to be jazzed up a bit. Try playing around with fonts and different sizes until it looks good.

Gummy:
    This banner looks neat. The render is smudged in nicely and is placed in a great spot. The text is a bit oddly designed for this banner. Try giving it a different font and make it a bit darker as it kinda distracts the viewer. I don't really like the border in this banner though, I think it compacts the banner so it looks confined to a space. Maybe try making it thinner or removing it and see how it looks.

.Fate:
    I really like this banner. I am not sure what the original stock looked like but it looks like you stacked many different images and effects over and under each other. This style is actually really nice to look at. The text and font choice is great and is positioned nicely and greets the viewer with open arms as it makes the banner complete. The lighting is amazing. I love the way that her face gets darker as you move to the left. This is a really nice effect and is hard to pull off but was done incredibly! The banner doesn't look blended in but it doesn't stick out at all. Kudos to you for making such a great banner!

No banner from me this time, maybe later?
    If I missed anyone, please tell me! I'll feel horrible having left you out!

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • The second banner (Hitsugaya) is very nice and I like it quite a lot. The blending and smudging of the render is truly amazing and fits in very well without looking over the top. The text is good but I don't know about that particular font. Maybe it is just me...
    Love the C4D's Yeh, there was no C4D's( at least I think they are ) and the clipping masks. As I said with Renneh's, hard to see which makes em look great!

Yeh, about that pinnochio, I said it already, but i'll say it again.
    I'VE GOT PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS AND IT WONT DO CLIPPING MASKS :P
    and the c4d thingy is in the quote.
    Yeh, and I changed my name.

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
    Years
  • .Kai:
    Your Maplestory banner is interesting. It looks like you took a picture and smudged and blurred it out crazily. This looks great but doesn't give the banner much depth. It looks good to the eyes, but it just doesn't have that special touch.

The "Whisper" banner is so simple which is why I love it so much. I love the way the render was placed and the way everything fits around it. The banner overall looks good and is nicely orientated. Although it is very simple and looks sketchy, I don't really think there is much to say on this banner due to its simplicity.

Im glad to hear you like the banners I made! Also, Ill have this post editted, just need to open photobucket so I can post a banner.

Ok, Here it is. I really had two versions, but while I went to lunch, my brother deleted it >> little sucker. Anyways, here's the 1st versions, and yse, I know. the colors are wierd for a sora banner xP

YEYZZZZ NEW BORDER :DDDDD

Kai: Erm no offense but um... the background looks like a big blur.
    Well, actually, it is a big blur xD I pasted the render many times to fill the canvas, merged all
    of them together, and smudged like crazy xD I thought it looked pretty good, so I did the same for my sotw banner.
    Which, of course, you can rate too :D

Last edited:

Renyui!

ascender
    Years
  • .Kai: Well, For starters, I'll rate teh Sora one.
    It's nice, simple, and good choice of vector brushes. I still luv thos arrows that you used to use ages ago! Buut, The right par of the border is bigger and looks out of whack. Try and make it the same size as the rest of your border. The text is nice though, you did a good job on this one, mizt. .Kai!

As for the otheeer one, the render is a bit badly cut out and it's blurry, but the smudgy thing you did with the background is good. Those lines in the corner, they don't need to be there. I STILL LUV THE TEXT AND ARROWS :3!
    Rate myyy SOTW entry, (oo isnt it fun making words loooonggger?)

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Renyui: Even though the week's theme is Shadows, the banners is just way too dark, almost as if you're using the theme as an excuse not to overwork. XD And for the text, I can't even see the first half. But that is a clever render you chose.

~~~~~

Rate the Sasuke!

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
  • Haven't been here for a while. Let's see if I can still rate;;

@ .Kai: Sora Banner -
    This is probably my favorite banner from you. I absolutely adore the colors. The way it goes from color on the right side to black and white on the left side is pretty nifty, too. But Kai... what's going on with that border? It seems like there's more white space on the right side than the left. Is that would you were trying to do? Even so, it looks a little odd.

The placement of the render is good. I really feel that Sora is depressed for some reason. Those vector/tech-ish brushes are nice, but you should move them up a little bit, just by a few pixels. Now, for the text. The actual message is nice. It fits the scene nicely, but white text is definitely too hard to read. Maybe you could make it all black, or turn the white text grey.

Anyway, nice job. let's give it an 8.2/10?

May Banner -
    This isn't horrible, but I think you could have done a better job. For starters, those lines in the corner can die. They steal my eyes focus too much. The render is low quality, too. You could sharpen/fade-sharpen it, then fool around with brightness, contrast, saturation, etc. The background is just plain wrong. I'm sorry, but it seems so... motion blurry! I know you smudged it, but it looks like all you did was fill the background with the render, and apply a motion blur. Here's a little technique I use when I can't figure out what to do for the background:

First, set a gradient using a light and dark color from the render. This way, you at least have a colored background. Next, find your main focal point. Get two more light and dark colors from your render and apply a radial gradient on a new layer, starting from your focal point. Set this layer to overlay or something, and mess around with the opacity. After that, duplicate your render, resize it (or use the original render if it's bigger) and add a motion blur. Set this to luminosity, and find the right opacity. Repeat the last step twice, but instead of adding a motion blur, smudge the render. Now it's just a matter of adding a couple more smudge layers set of overlay, linear light, vivid light, etc, anf playing the the opacity. Then you can add whatever you want.

Anyway, back to your banner xD
    The text is good. I like it, but the red words blend in with your background too much. Try a lighter color.
    I think that's about it for this banner. My last point would be to remove that line thing on the left side. It doesn't go well with this banner.
    Sorry, but I'm rating this a 4/10. It just doesn't appeal to me at all.

@ Renyui: I don't see what Gummy meant when he said it's "too dark". There's nothing wrong with the brightness. Though it does seem a bit plain. Maybe adding some grunge brushes in the background would help. Now, for the render. It doesn't seem to fit in. I can clearly see where the light source is on the render, but on the banner, it just isn't there. A lens flare over a black background set on screen might help.

The scattering at the bottom of Shadow is pretty cool. You should really make it more noticeable, though.
    Anyway, on to the text. It's a little to blended in. I know exactly what it says, but you can't see the S, and a little bit of the H. You could either brighten up the text, or move it over to the right a little bit.

But that's about it for this banner. I like this one. 8.3/10.

@ Gummy: Ooh! That's really, really nice. I love the lightning effect and the splatter. The border is really good. Not too thin, not too thick. xD I don't really have anything to say about this banner. The text is a little... awkward. It's pixely and hard to read in some places, and the font seems a bit strange. This is easily one of your bests, Gummy. Just redo the text, and it's good to go!

8.9/10.

Lawlz, the ratings got really small at the end. Sorry, Gummy!

Hazuki

delenda est.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2011
    Erm ok nobody's above me? oo

This was made for Midnight Beat. I tried a new style, urban scrapbook style, I really like the outcome of it.

My livejournal banner. I used the same style as the above, urban scrapbook style.

Now for the prince of smexiness! ;;

Without border.

With border.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back