• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen The Level Problem

Eggie Poo Poo

OM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM NOM
Years
  • Isn't something similar Battleground in Platinum?

No, because Battleground is the most overrated, boring and useless piece of crap ever. The levels of your pokemon MUST equal the same as their's which is stupid, whats the bloody fun if everyone is all level 50, 60, 70, etc.? Its stupid, and what this guy is saying is not similar to battleground.

Years
  • i'd want rebattles, but i dont like the idea of them being near impossible to beat
    i can never be bothered to train my pokemon much, so i'd rathr just have the vs seeker and have rematches with their levels increasing by like 10 or something.

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
    Years
  • I doubt there will be. My guess is that they will put the same thing they did in platinum and make them level up sometime when you defeat who ever you challenge.

Last edited:

Mist

Platinum Trainer
    Years
  • I doubt there we ill be. My guess is that they will put the same thing they did in platinum and make them harder every time you defeat who ever you challenge.

It gets harder? That's a shocker. All the trainers I re-battle don't get any better, even the Elite Four was was easier my second time through.

kingofjokers

This is not a custom title!!!!
    Years
  • It gets harder? That's a shocker. All the trainers I re-battle don't get any better, even the Elite Four was was easier my second time through.

Well not get harder more like they level up sorry to confuse you. Although if you challenge the elite 4 6 times or more they level up to level 70

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • As the 'level problem' has to do with the difficulty factor of the game, merged the two topics here.

Doubt there will be a 'hard mode' though - the game may be harder than GSC, but I do doubt there being multiple difficulty levels to choose from when you start. =/

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • I didn't even remember that whole thing at first, but know that you mention it, you're right. The Pokémon were at really low levels... I mean, I like a challenge (the gym leader's best Pokémon should be at least two levels higher than yours) but training is boring in the middle of the game like that. Actually, that might be why I started battling every single (and I mean this literally) trainer I see in the other games. I can't remember, though. I may have started it in FRLG to over-compensate for having a small selection of Pokémon.

Oooo. Rematches. I'm not going to get off topic with that subject, though. Anyway, I think if they just do what they did for Platinum it would make it a lot better.
    I think what they did in Emerald was much better. Gym leader rematches, I mean. They just ring you up and BAM! Rematch. I don't like The Battleground in Platinum very much. I like going to the real gyms.

Last edited:

TERRA#493

Competitive Battler
    Years
  • Yeah, that really sucked.. Okay, some headwords:

- 1th Gym Leader Falkner - Lv. 15 - 18
    - 8th Gym Leader Claire - Lv. 50-55
    - Elite 4 #01 - Lv. 54 - 58
    - Champ - Lv. 61 - 66

It should be simply so, that when you beat the 2nd Gym Leader Bugsy (his Pokemon are Lv. 17-22), the wild Pokemon, which appear, are around Lv. 12-15.

silvanarrow

A figment of your imagination
    Years
  • If I remember correctly (Granted, it's been years since I've touched Silver), even the Gym Leaders and Elite Four were at a pretty low level, at least compared to the 4th gen. I remember getting my team to Lv. 56 so my Dragonair could learn Outrage and then having very little difficulty beating the Elite Four and Lance. I think Lance's Pokemon were in the mid-50s, compared to the 4th gen, where Cynthia's Pokemon start in the mid-60s on average. I hope they bring up the levels of both the wild Pokemon and the Gym Leaders.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2023
    I think Nintendo will raise the levels... even they should have realized that the levels were too low

However... they could just keep them the same to stay true to the originals

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I don't think that Nintendo/GameFreak is going to keep the levels the same it just doesn't seem likely to happen. I think they know now that those levels were too low, and will improved them. [Hopefully.]

Years
  • Level improvement is good, but I really think that they should also improve the IQ and movesets of the leaders too. When I fought Red in Crystal, I was disappointed by how weak he was. His Pokemon's movesets were horrible and his AI boneheaded at best. In contrast Lance and Blue, while they were at a fairly low level, fought intelligently with good moves. They were much more of a challenge and much funner to fight than Red because of this.

In conclusion I would be glad if they(as in Gamefreak) kept the same trainer levels as long as they improved the AI and movesets.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Level improvement is good, but I really think that they should also improve the IQ and movesets of the leaders too. When I fought Red in Crystal, I was disappointed by how weak he was. His Pokemon's movesets were horrible and his AI boneheaded at best. In contrast Lance and Blue, while they were at a fairly low level, fought intelligently with good moves. They were much more of a challenge and much funner to fight than Red because of this.

In conclusion I would be glad if they(as in Gamefreak) kept the same trainer levels as long as they improved the AI and movesets.

Al and movesets of the Gyms, Trainers, and Elites, [probably Red as well] will more than likely be altered. It was done in Platinum and I would expect it, seeing as this remake is far more advanced from the original Gold and Silver versions.

I do agree though, they opponents back then were more easy to beat as they would do more stat decreasing moves than an actual attack. However, with all the new moves introduced since the 3rd Generation, I would think most of it would be for the better.

As for my opinion, raising the levels would be a beneficial idea. It'll make the game more challenging as well as add on to the fun and easier capability of leveling up. Not to mention, it might actually match up with some of the trainer's Pokémon evolutions, such as Folkner's Pidgeotto and Lance's Dragonite. We'll see what happens though as we may get in some information on the Gym Leaders for the most part by next month's Coro Coro scans [or at least I would think so].

Snerd

Super Nerd
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 14, 2011
    Personally I never needed to train for the Glacier Badge. I did notice that the Pokémon there were all weak, but it didn't bother me

Years
  • They should make it so Lance's strongest is in the 60s at least. The Kanto gyms could be around level 50 or so. I would definitely like to see some stronger trainers. Especially Red. Red must be stronger than Barry-cakes.

Years
  • How can Red be improved?

I'll start with a story.

When I first got a ROM of Pokemon Crystal I was physiced. It was supposed to be the greatest Pokemon game ever after all. But it proved too frustrating for me, and I quit it. Later I found out about Red, and decided to give it another try. The idea of fighting the protagonist of the former game with a team in the high 70s with a level 81 Pikachu to top it off was amazing. I tried to beat the game over and over, but always got frustrated and deleted it while always regretting it. Eventually I managed beat the game up to Blue; the final Kanto leader. His team was strong, but Red would be even stronger. I went up to Mt. Silver, climbed until I reached him, saved the game, made my character face him, and pressed 'A'.

My team consisted of Meganium, Arcanine, Suicune, Hitmontop. Sudowoodo, and Fearow. I'd used rare candies to level them all up to 75.

"...
    ..."

Five minutes later I was staring at the computer screen in disbelief. What was that? Due to easily exploitable types, bad movesets, and worse AI Red is by far one of the easiest bosses in Pokemon. His team could be smashed with about as much effort as squashing a bug. The only Pokemon that could give you the smallest amount of trouble would be his Espeon and Snorlax. The rest were absoluteley pitiful. Red should be the ultimate boss in Pokemon, and this thread is about speculating on how he could be improved.

Now for starters I think his levels should be increased to the Mid-Ninties and should have a Mewtwo, but what do you think?

Back