• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[~The May Daily Chit-Chat ~]

Status
Not open for further replies.

She-Elf

Nyaa :3
Years
  • Yes I did, it was a little boy. I think he died at the end because of to many problems, he couldn't breath normally and stuff.
    It was an interesting program. Poor boy.

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
  • Unfortunately, I'm sure there will be another to get a tumor on their face. =\

I just read an article on a number of elementary school teachers that pulled off a fake shooting on their students during a school trip. Apparently they intended it to be a "learning experience," but instead caused about 20 students to cry and about all of them to freak out. They even had one teacher put on a black hooded sweatshirt and pull on the locked door as if they were trying to break into the room.

The parents are all pretty outraged as well. I hope they sue the pants off those teachers. I've heard of fire drills and tornado drills, but who in their right mind pulls off a "fake gunman attack". Especially after Virginia Tech...

Crimson Majestic

Crown Royale
    Years
  • Especially after Virginia Tech...
    One would think that schoolchildren should be more alert for such characters. Thus, having such drills can cover such a ground. But, these same schoolchildren should also be alert of what psychological damage they can contribute to the perpetrator as well. Thus, being able to stay alert, in case of such situations were to happen, and being nicer to our friends should reduce the tension greatly.

But, yeah, expect quite a bit of lawsuits, from parents, especially in a generation like our's.

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
  • Keyword there is schoolchildren. Children of that age are in no way shape or form mentally stable enough to handle a situation like that. Sitting them down and explaining the procedure in the event a gunman was on the loose is one thing. Causing them mental grief for no reason at all is a different story. I agree that teachers should prepare their students for such an event, but not in the way this was pulled off.

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • I think any 'fake' body part is fantastic idea if it helps the individual with the disability. If anything happened to me, like losing my arm, I wouldn't be able to cope without anything there. I'd rather get a plastic replacement to take its place.
    That is good, unless you've been brought back after you were supposely dead from say a car crash and found yourself being experimented on by scientists creating robotic parts. (Okay, ignore me, I watched a Sci-fi thing last week)
    You really think I'm going to go to some random robo world? So yeah, natural will always be normal..
    Well 'cause of it's to save a life, if there wasn't a heart, guess what happens? Death, having a fake heart so isn't wrong.
    Fine then. XD
    Who knows? That could be what the future is like. We'll see as technology advances along. Maybe this world will turn into something like on I-robot.

You can just get a heart transplant, risky yes, but it prevents death. Or that machine that temporary pumps the blood through your body for the heart.
    If there wasn't a heart, I'm sure another organ in the body could replace it...
    Yes I did, it was a little boy. I think he died at the end because of to many problems, he couldn't breath normally and stuff.
    It was an interesting program. Poor boy.
    I saw that, or something similar to it. It was really sad to watch.
    The one I saw the boy didn't die, they took like a couple of really long surgerys to get rid and cut out most of the tumour.

Crimson Majestic

Crown Royale
    Years
  • Keyword there is schoolchildren. Children of that age are in no way shape or form mentally stable enough to handle a situation like that.
    That's why they need be to conditioned, or at least prepared to face such an event. Without any preparations, until help arrives, their lives hangs on the gunman. Well, being at gunpoint, that's still going to make things difficult. To the very least, it'll be easier to cope with such stress.

Sitting them down and explaining the procedure in the event a gunman was on the loose is one thing.
    Yeah, that is one thing, but how about when faced with a gunman, in real life?

Causing them mental grief for no reason at all is a different story.
    What better than to give some life experience? But, yeah, to prevent lawsuits, on the receiving end, the children should've been at least told beforehand that it was going to happen.

I agree that teachers should prepare their students for such an event, but not in the way this was pulled off.
    Yeah, the faculty should've thought this through a bit more.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    The elementary school children were not prepared, it was not appropriate, and I believe they should now get counselling.

My sister ended up being traumatized when there was a bomb threat to the elementary, and there wasn't even someone going around banging on classroom doors. Absolutely terrible.

All involved faculty should lose there jobs.

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
  • The elementary school children were not prepared, it was not appropriate, and I believe they should now get counselling.

My sister ended up being traumatized when there was a bomb threat to the elementary, and there wasn't even someone going around banging on classroom doors. Absolutely terrible.

All involved faculty should lose there jobs.

Yeah, I've got no idea what Kinslayer is talking about. It's not like school shootings happen often. Plus, the majority of school shootings happen at Universities or high schools; not elemantary schools. The chances of one being involved in a school shooting are so low, that it's not even worth traumitizing students like this. This is unacceptable, no matter how you look at it.

I'd have to agree, all faculty involved should be canned.

Crimson Majestic

Crown Royale
    Years
  • I was offering another side to the story, giving some legitimacy for their actions, though it's kind of hard to discern since, like you said, reported school shootings don't happen too often and their methods weren't exactly sound in accordance to what society says what is right and wrong.

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
  • Wow, hell of a run-on sentence. =X

No point in trying to legitimitize these idiots' actions. And what's up with italicizing "reported"? All school shootings are reported somewhere. Maybe not all of them are nationally reported, but they are at least reported on a local basis.

Crimson Majestic

Crown Royale
    Years
  • Wow, hell of a run-on sentence. =X
    Thanks, you should correct them next time. I need a humanoid Wordbot at my side, at times.

But, I would ask of you to turn off on my command. :-P

No point in trying to legitimitize these idiots' actions.
    There's also no point in place all the blame on them. I'm sure they had some reason in doing what they did, though it was a bit sensationalized.

Sorry, but I have a thing for looking deeper into situations. Let me know directly if you have a problem with that.

By the way, was that a incomplete sentence, I posted right before this? :-P

And what's up with italicizing "reported"?

Maybe not all of them are nationally reported, but they are at least reported on a local basis.
    I meant nationally, since the ones we mainly hear about are national. Also, with that being said, the most sensation comes nationally. Thus, they may occur more than we know of. Unless you have all the documented shootings in your possession, I'll go with that.

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
  • Thanks, you should correct them next time. I need a humanoid Wordbot at my side, at times. But, I would ask of you to turn off on my command. :-P

There's also no point in place all the blame on them. I'm sure they had some reason in doing what they did, though it was a bit sensationalized.

Sorry, but I have a thing for looking deeper into situations. Let me know directly if you have a problem with that.

By the way, was that a incomplete sentence, I posted right before this? :-P

I meant nationally, since the ones we mainly hear about are national. Also, with that being said, the most sensation comes nationally. Thus, they may occur more than we know of. Unless you have all the documented shootings in your possession, I'll go with that.

No thanks.

What would possibly make these people think that was a good idea though? What really confuses me is that after whoever had the bright idea to begin with, they were followed by all the other teachers. Surely one of them was smart enough to say "Hey, ya know what? I don't really think this is such a good idea."

I look deep into things as well, man. Not so deep that I start confusing what is right and what is wrong though.

Naw, you're good. ;D

Actually, I do. You could have the list as well. Just go to Wikipedia.com and type in "school shootings". Has an entire list of all documented school shootings in world history.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I was offering another side to the story, giving some legitimacy for their actions, though it's kind of hard to discern since, like you said, reported school shootings don't happen too often and their methods weren't exactly sound in accordance to what society says what is right and wrong.
    You're right, there are a lot of school shootings that don't get reported.

Crimson Majestic

Crown Royale
    Years
  • No thanks.
    I'll tell you what, I'll give you a "free will" switch as well. ;-P

What would possibly make these people think that was a good idea though?
    Well, like you said, there was Virginia Tech. Then, there is Columbine to compliment that. Secondly, I seriously doubt they had this in mind, but perhaps to give them some life lessons on how to cope with stress.

What really confuses me is that after whoever had the bright idea to begin with, they were followed by all the other teachers. Surely one of them was smart enough to say "Hey, ya know what? I don't really think this is such a good idea."
    Yeah, they've could have, to the very least, had the children and their parents fill out a consent form and justify their actions to cover themselves for insurance and lawsuit purposes.

I look deep into things as well, man. Not so deep that I start confusing what is right and what is wrong though.
    Yeah, the right and wrong complex tends to make things complicated, but such situations do cross the boundary so you might as well take a dive to get their mindset.

Actually, I do. You could have the list as well. Just go to Wikipedia.com and type in "school shootings". Has an entire list of all documented school shootings in world history.
    I'm sure there was a school shooting before the 60's. :-P

But, I suppose that could work, for now.

MegaFuz

Über Title
    Years
  • I'll tell you what, I'll give you a "free will" switch as well. ;-P

Well, like you said, there was Virginia Tech. Then, there is Columbine to compliment that. Secondly, I seriously doubt they had this in mind, but perhaps to give them some life lessons on how to cope with stress.

Yeah...still not going for it. XD

Well obviously catastrophes like VT and Columbine triggered them to do this. There are just much better ways to prepare students for a situation like that. Sitting them down and explaining what the safety procedure is if an attack were to ever happen, for instance. Every time the fire alarm goes off, or an announcement is made over the loudspeaker, or a loud bang or crash is made, these students are going to instantly think gunman now. It's just not worth causing mental harm in the process to raise awareness.

Aw well...I'm off to bed.

Crimson Majestic

Crown Royale
    Years
  • Yeah...still not going for it. XD
    Good luck finding a better employer. :-P

Well obviously catastrophes like VT and Columbine triggered them to do this.
    Of course, I just had to point that out, for those who don't get the whole picture.

There are just much better ways to prepare students for a situation like that.
    I'm sure there are, we've yet to find an ideal solution that works.

Sitting them down and explaining what the safety procedure is if an attack were to ever happen, for instance. Every time the fire alarm goes off, or an announcement is made over the loudspeaker, or a loud bang or crash is made, these students are going to instantly think gunman now.
    That's one way of doing it, but how are they going to get coordinated to deal with the stress of knowing that there is someone out there with a gun and/or another weapon of sorts, assuming that they have an intent to kill?

It's just not worth causing mental harm in the process to raise awareness.
    That's true, but if there's another way to reduce the mental harm for when the time comes, let me know.

Aw well...I'm off to bed.
    Aw, sleep tight, and make sure to have a gun on you, in case some one decides to break into your house.

Or, heck, just beat the flail the crap out of 'em. :-P

Hakeen

-
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2010
    Who knows? That could be what the future is like. We'll see as technology advances along. Maybe this world will turn into something like on I-robot.

You can just get a heart transplant, risky yes, but it prevents death. Or that machine that temporary pumps the blood through your body for the heart.
    If there wasn't a heart, I'm sure another organ in the body could replace it...

Nah..from what I've seen of Futurama at least, the world doesn't look like being overly futuristic. XD And I haven't seen I-robot so I wouldn't know. But I hope in classes they like have hats in the future where you could download all the information from the class or subject, that'd be really kool.

Wait, you mean to say, if some person didn't have a heart you could stick a leg in it's place..actually I think I just read too much into the other organ part. Because really legs aren't organs. XD

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • Nah..from what I've seen of Futurama at least, the world doesn't look like being overly futuristic. XD And I haven't seen I-robot so I wouldn't know. But I hope in classes they like have hats in the future where you could download all the information from the class or subject, that'd be really kool.

Wait, you mean to say, if some person didn't have a heart you could stick a leg in it's place..actually I think I just read too much into the other organ part. Because really legs aren't organs. XD

Futurama isn't exactly the ideal example for advances in the future... Yes, it does portray a future, but it is just a cartoon. If we were to take examples from cartoons, then we could look at the Simpsons that aired last night here. In the future, apparently, iPods would become massive and *cough*rule the world*cough* and whip people because "we just like whipping".
    Hats?? Why hats.... of all things... I wouldn't mind a special watch with umm... all sorts of technology packed into it.

No. Firstly a leg isn't an organ. Secondly, what I meant was that if people didn't have a heart, eventually with the help of evolution, another organ may be capable of replacing it and doing its function instead.
    The heart is only there to circulate the blood around your body and prevent convection from occurring by creating a continous cycle. If the heart or something to replace its function wasn't there, we'd be really cold where our feet were, and more hot where our head is just because convection would take over in the blood stream.

Hakeen

-
    Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2010
    You must see the episode we're due to see tomorrow I guess. I don't think I've seen that one, our new episodes are every Tuesday. Or I might've seen it, depends what my camera says (I take pictures of every episode x3).

Hats because of (Yesh, you guessed it, the Simpsons). It was on that monorail episode, what to do with Springfields money and Lisa suggested it be used on the school children, by learning through this special hat thingy, at least I assume it was that episode. Bart did want to kill Principal Skinner in that episode aswell..so yeah. Watch..hmm, I used to lie in bed as a little kid and imagine I could access the Pokemon world through a watch like device, but of course, I don't think about that anymore.

Oh yup, I think I understand that now.. I Only think I do though. XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back