• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Official Shiny Thread

Tyros

Professor Walnut: Shiny Expert
Years
  • I've had a lot of roaring success with my shiny chaining. The most recent was 12 shiny Bagons, which was amazing. :3 Soon as I'm done with some battling/training, and stuff like that, I'm on to Mareeps!

As for randomly-encountered shinies... I've only ever had one. It was a Hariyama. It knew Whirlwind. New got to catch it thanks to Whirlwind. >__> But! My friend traded a shiny Makuhita she randomly found for one of the shinies I hunted up for her. So, in the end vengeance was mine. 8D

Anyway, I'm opening up a Shiny Hunter for Hire shop, if anyone's interested. I'm putting my skills to work for everyone out there in the Pokemon universe! 8D Among other skills.

- Tyros

ultimatediamond

Aura Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    thanks for the advice
    the thing is i do follow all of that, but my chains frequently end for no reason at all >_<

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    thanks for the advice
    the thing is i do follow all of that, but my chains frequently end for no reason at all >_<

The only suggestion I have left is to try your best. Make sure you carefully look at the patches and try not to make them out-of-sight. For example:

00000X0000
    0X000+0X0
    00000000X0

The diagram I show here is a representative of you (the plus sign) in a patch of grass. The X's are the four shaking grass that you will see, and when chaining you will always want to go to the fourth patch away (in this case the one all the way to your left). If you do not see that fourth patch, then recharge your Pokéradar by walking or running in the patches that were not shaking, until ready again.

What you will need to know though is that you need to keep the other shaking grass insight when you move to another shaking patch. Also, please do not go the edge of a wall as that will also break your chain. Another thing to know is that if you start your chain with a slight yellow shimmer, then you will need to continue going in other grasses that have that same slight shimmer to get the same Pokémon and keep your chain together and vise versa. For extra information, YouTube videos on learning how to chain can be really helpful.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2009
    i had shinies before i lost my games a long time ago. the only shiny pokemon i have is a green zubat which was a random find

Last edited:

Zacceh

Another day in the life of...
    Years
  • Any Chaining Suggestions?

Well, I'm at a loss of what I should chain. I'm getting tired of not having any shinys on my Platinum, so it's high time I start working for it. I'm only really going for Pokémon between Lvs. 2-~30. Which means nothing on Frontier Island (the place with the BF... you get the idea...) since Lvs. 45+ are typically unaffected by Super Repels and thus make it very difficult to chain for them (otherwise I'd be trying to chain a Mankey... :P).
    And my current Swarmer is Phanpy.

So, any suggestions?

Space Guard

Part-Time Avenger
    Years
  • Long time no post!

Anyway, here is my updated Shiny list:

3x Shiny Roserade (One is EV'd, One isn't, but has the right nature and the other was my first Shiny!)
    1x Shiny Ambipom
    1x Shiny Mismagius
    1x Shiny Misdreavus
    1x Shiny Magmortar
    1x Shiny Weavile
    1x Shiny Electrode
    1x Shiny Gallade
    1x Shiny Aerodactyl
    1x Shiny Typhlosion
    2x Shiny Cyndaquil
    1x Shiny Feraligatr
    1x Shiny Chikorita
    1x Shiny Steelix
    1x Shiny Bronzor
    1x Shiny Ledyba
    1x Shiny Eevee
    2x Shiny Ralts
    1x Shiny Luvdisc
    1x Shiny Phione
    1x Shiny Unown
    1x Shiny Scyther
    11x Shiny Bidoof
    1x Shiny Machop
    1x Shiny Geodude
    1x Shiny Magby
    1x Shiny Linoone
    2x Shiny Starly

I'm pretty sure that's it. Note these are all legit and have been hatched/chained by myself.

Years
  • Platinum - Shiny unown - random. Shiny Darkrai. (I didn't save 'cause it wasn't the right nature. :P) Shiny oddish. - random. I'm really not good with chaining. When I want tochain, my record is 7. -.-' When I'm searching for pokemon on the pkradar I chain upto 20-35, and then my chain gets broken by the pokemon I was looking for. :(

ultimatediamond

Aura Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2010
    i just recently managed to chain a male nidoran and got it on the 6th chain after months of trying

i dont really find that swarmers dont chain better than regulars

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I think it would still work if you save after each chain

:t354:TG

Saving while chaining will not work whatsoever. Once you start a chain and you save inbetween, it'll keep breaking it. For example, say I don't ever want a chain to break so I chain for a Jigglypuff and save after I battle it and then go on. That wouldn't work, as it would automatically break the chain once you save your game file.

Tyros

Years
  • It actually doesn't auto-break your chain if you save. It's only if you happen to turn the game off does the chain get dropped. So, say, if you catch a shiny off of a chain and then save without turning it off to keep the shiny just in case the power runs out or something, that's fine. But saving and resetting the DS every time the chain breaks definitely doesn't work.

In the first example, the shiny is kept, but the chain will still break, so no more shinies.

- Tyros

RAWR ^_^

Feels So Retrosexual ^_^
    Years
  • >_>
    Chaining in hard to get back into on Platinum. I had a perfectly normal chain of Floatzel going, got to 15, and the chain was broke by a Mr. Mime. I was peeved beyond belief. I tried to do a new chain, and couldn't get past 10. I can tell it's going to take a while to get back into chaining.

Tyros

Years
  • You can do it! Chains break, it's pretty well inevitable thanks to random luck. So, it just takes some persistence to get them up to 40. *Nods* Good luck! Once you get to 40, it'll all feel worth it. n.n

- Tyros

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    I suck at chaining, but I still have shinies that I found coincidentally :) One is a shiny in Emerald a makuhita which was quite cool as a makuhita but as its evolution its fugly.(seriously red and purple are such a big no. )It still looks good from behind tho.

The second one Is a shiny zubat in Diamond which I found in the entrance of the mountain in the shrine city. :)
    I have a couple of others but they are hacked from other people (well knowningly hacked)

Something I don't like about shinies is that the majority of Pokémon is either Pink or purple as a shiny. Pink is one of my least fav colours ...(Thats why I am so glas that I have my shiny zubat as that is green ^^)

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2010
    I just SR'd my shiny Giratina after 3 months of on and off sr-ing last week on my plat. It literally took my breath away when I saw it!!! Its a neutral nature but ah well. Now I'm sr-ing for a shiny Darkrai from my member's card on plat. I want a timid nature so I have my Timid synch Kadabra in the lead...but I heard synch doesn't always work when you are trying to SR a shiny legendary?

Back