• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Post Your Problems Thread 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    What do you call the feeling of when you have been on lots of fairground rides and when you are laying in bed at night you can kind of feel our body moving around as though you are still on the rides? What is that feeling called?

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    What do you call the feeling of when you have been on lots of fairground rides and when you are laying in bed at night you can kind of feel our body moving around as though you are still on the rides? What is that feeling called?

It's the same thing with being on a boat, then coming ashore and you still feel like you're on a boat.

I don't think there's a name for it, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with balance adjustment (your inner ear, if you want to get technical). You spend so long in an off-balance environment that your body adjusts, and it's when you get back to the norm, your body has to adjust back.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I've an issue that I find very distressing... I don't want to scare or worry anyone else somehow so I'd advise your discretion on reading it...

Spoiler:

Thanks for your time in reading this, if you did... Basically, I want to forget anything related to the films, or if I can't, just never think about it again. My overall depressing childhood I can live with, that part's just life.

I feel like I've taken a good step in talking to someone, but I'm hoping maybe there can be more consolation here, if I post this aloud. I've been able to ignore it until very recently, but as the cliché phrase goes, enough is enough. I think though, given how much it affected me, I should seek professional help. Can I even go a month without such thougths, a year, decade... even now just days! Sometimes I just want something heavy to hit the back of my head and make me forget everything, at least then I can be at peace.

I might regret posting this, but I'm becoming desperate, the older I get, the worse it's becoming.

Don't troll or joke or I will seriously wring your neck with iron gloves.

Last edited:

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
    I've an issue that I find very distressing... I don't want to scare or worry anyone else somehow so I'd advise your discretion on reading it...

Thanks for your time in reading this, if you did... Basically, I want to forget anything related to the films, or if I can't, just never think about it again. My overall depressing childhood I can live with, that part's just life.

I feel like I've taken a good step in talking to someone, but I'm hoping maybe there can be more consolation here, if I post this aloud. I've been able to ignore it until very recently, but as the cliché phrase goes, enough is enough. I think though, given how much it affected me, I should seek professional help. Can I even go a month without such thougths, a year, decade... even now just days! Sometimes I just want something heavy to hit the back of my head and make me forget everything, at least then I can be at peace.

I might regret posting this, but I'm becoming desperate, the older I get, the worse it's becoming.

Don't troll or joke or I will seriously wring your neck with iron gloves.

So... let me get this straight. You saw Child's Play when you were young, it scared the dog **** out of you, and now you're having a second wind of the fear? Kind of an aftershock? That's actually not uncommon in highly traumatic experiences. Some people who have taken hallucinogenic drugs report seeing things years after they stopped doing them. So, drop any idea that this is unique; you're not very alone in this.

I remember a long, long time ago (I was probably 10 or younger) I watched the Exorcist. This was before I was a determined atheist, so it variably scared the piss out of me. I had trouble sleeping for a long time. But what broke the mold was the intro to Scary Movie 2, where they spoof the exorcism scenes. I admire the Exorcist as a master-crafted horror film (some people were sent to the hospital out of fright when it was released, I think), but I cannot watch it without thinking of James Woods humping the possessed girl. Just can't do it.

This is purely psychological on your part. It appears that, perhaps deep down, your psyche has yet to accept the movie (or the idea of Chucky itself) as fantasy and entertainment. And this isn't uncommon, since when you're a little kid you believe that essentially anything is possible. You just have to get beyond it.

I don't really have a remedy for this. My suggestion would be that if this becomes too much, I'd see a psychologist (and I stress psychologist; this can be treated without medication, and psychiatrists these days are a little med-happy, IMO).

If it's the movie itself that scares you, I'd watch it over and over again, actually. Pick out the flaws; make fun of a badly acted scene, or poorly done animatronics in Chucky or obvious (and bad) stop motion animation. In my opinion, these things are what make old horror movies like this one really quite fun. ;)

But in actuality, this approach is more common than you think, since fear can oftentimes be overcome by saturation. Kind of a numbing effect, if you will. If you spend so much time saturated in something, you build a tolerance, like any drug, or building a tan that makes you less sensitive to sunlight, or painfully holding an ice cube until you're numb to its effects; same basic principle. It's a simple approach, but not a guaranteed one.

Just my 2 cents!

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    So... let me get this straight. You saw Child's Play when you were young, it scared the dog **** out of you, and now you're having a second wind of the fear? Kind of an aftershock? That's actually not uncommon in highly traumatic experiences. Some people who have taken hallucinogenic drugs report seeing things years after they stopped doing them. So, drop any idea that this is unique; you're not very alone in this.
    Yes, the fourth one... Like I've outgrown it but thoughts of the violent scenes and I suppose images of Chucky in general will occasionally pop into my mind after maybe large parts of a year, but lately it'd be happening a few times a month, now since I conquered the "fear of the name" it's constantly on my mind. I think I've had a few things, even this once maybe, constantly on my mind before for a while, and it went away before too long.

Sizeable, realistic dolls always remind me of it... you know, I'd even sit them upright and handle them gently as not to 'anger them', though I'd some time ago made a point not to bother, the thought still comes up.
    I'll always look up apprehensively before walking under a glass roof, I find babies and childbirth a little disturbing, I won't lie on my back sprawled out on a bed lest someone chain my limbs to each corner and knife me (lolwut, but yeah)... It's that bad...? I'm surprising myself even.
    Naturally I've suppressed it, but now... things won't go away unless you deal with them. It's like having roommates next door who "sing a song that gets on your nerves" all the time, in G-major.

That's only your first paragraph responded to —I suppose with a lot of redundant statements added but I want to get everything out after about seven years— ... and I never realised how much this all impacted me until... now. I've built up so many haunting mental triggers... I was always thinking, maybe I could replace them if not remove them.

I remember a long, long time ago (I was probably 10 or younger) I watched the Exorcist. This was before I was a determined atheist, so it variably scared the piss out of me. I had trouble sleeping for a long time. But what broke the mold was the intro to Scary Movie 2, where they spoof the exorcism scenes. I admire the Exorcist as a master-crafted horror film (some people were sent to the hospital out of fright when it was released, I think), but I cannot watch it without thinking of James Woods humping the possessed girl. Just can't do it.
    The accounts of this and the PM I got go to show, reassuringly, that having the wit scared out of you at a young age is, while I never thought I'd be alone in this, rather more common than I'd thought.

This is purely psychological on your part. It appears that, perhaps deep down, your psyche has yet to accept the movie (or the idea of Chucky itself) as fantasy and entertainment. And this isn't uncommon, since when you're a little kid you believe that essentially anything is possible. You just have to get beyond it.
    I definitely think so too... I've thought that for a good while actually. I think my almost instinctive cautionary actions mentioned above indicate well enough my mind hasn't been able to accept it, much to my conscious self's dismay.
    I think it's also a matter of refusing to accept anything even happened; I'd definitely think twice before putting it on a list of all the films I've seen, as though to shoo away its existence.

I don't really have a remedy for this. My suggestion would be that if this becomes too much, I'd see a psychologist (and I stress psychologist; this can be treated without medication, and psychiatrists these days are a little med-happy, IMO).
    I wouldn't realistically expect anyone here to have a remedy as such; realistically speaking, all I hope to do is magnify the positive feeling my MSN conversation invoked by how many people respond in this thread.
    I'm not sure about how I'd 'get' a psychologist, I think it has to be referred through my GP, but yeah, I will have to if it gets worse or continues, but I'm hoping talking about it will stop it before long...

If it's the movie itself that scares you, I'd watch it over and over again, actually. Pick out the flaws; make fun of a badly acted scene, or poorly done animatronics in Chucky or obvious (and bad) stop motion animation. In my opinion, these things are what make old horror movies like this one really quite fun. ;)
    I don't know if I would say so, that it's the movie, I've come to rather enjoy watching blood fly everywhere, although this'd be much preferred in a war context than simply gore for the sake of itself or fear or whatever.
    There's one part I'd always found laughable, that someone would 'explode' if hit by a lorry... Well, apparently there's truth in that, but I still find it to be probably the stupidest death scene I've seen. Think it was also stop-animation... but, I never understood the point of picking out the badly executed parts of something for fun, although, me being a fan of Zero Punctuation, you'd wonder why... I don't think I'll ever be in a mood to watch it again straight though, but I guess I would give something like an 'abridged series'-style mockery of it a go... very doubtfully at that though.

But in actuality, this approach is more common than you think, since fear can oftentimes be overcome by saturation. Kind of a numbing effect, if you will. If you spend so much time saturated in something, you build a tolerance, like any drug, or building a tan that makes you less sensitive to sunlight, or painfully holding an ice cube until you're numb to its effects; same basic principle. It's a simple approach, but not a guaranteed one.
    It's that last sentence that gets me, haha...

Just my 2 cents!
    Thanks, it means a lot... if nothing else, I'd just like to confide openly, admit my frailities and so on. I'm thinking and feeling that simply talking about it more and more will help my psyche realise, like to set it in casually, so it becomes another thought like any other; "yeah I saw that film, thought it was a bit dumb though", while largely at present my attitude seems to swing more to making me want to say "what film? oh... well...".

Earlier making this post I felt like vomiting(!), now I feel like laughing... Recurring thoughts still won't leave my mind though; I'll just have to remember that persistence is a virtue.

Last edited:

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Do you know whether it is part of Japanese culture for people to say out loud exactly how they are feeling? Like, do people in Japan say things like "I'm so happy" and "I'm really scared" a lot? It happens a lot in Japanese cartoons. I thought it was just bad writing because if it was well written then the characters would show how they are feeling through actions instead of words, but somebody told me that saying your emotions out loud is part of Japanese culture? Is it this true?

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
    You know, that's really not a problem per se Jolene.
    This thread is more for personal problems.

I'd make a thread in Japanese Entertainment if you're that curious.

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    How can I stop myself from giggling at bad moments?

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I find it helps to try to think of something comparatively profound that you wouldn't laugh at. I find a battle scene easiest, but I trust you can find what works for you.

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years

I find absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's an attempt to hold back humor, and I'm a humor activist all the way.

George Carlin, one of my all-time idols (tied with Tom Lehrer) once said that anything can be funny in the correct context. He said, "People say, you can't joke about rape, rape's not funny. I can prove to you rape is funny! Picture Porky Pig raping Elmer Fudd. Well, why do you think they call him Porky?"

Another scenario where humor is sadly devoid is at funerals. Another Carlin observation is, "And then everyone kneels before your casket, and they're quiet for a few minutes. And you know what they're doing; they're mentally subtracting their age from your age... trying to get a rough estimate of how long they have."

As for Tom Lehrer, well, he wrote some of the most satirically demented (yet hysterical) songs ever written. This is my favorite, and one that I perform often whenever I'm in front of a piano:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDeRYmB4t6Q

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Hello PC, well my problem may shock you, judge me and even change your opinion on me and who I am.

You see, earlier this morining at school I was having quite a good day until I went to a technology class with my friends. My internet wasn't working and neither were others. I love my laptop to shreads and cherish a lot. Anyway, I was in the class and the technician was fixing it for us, he checked th internet options and then checked the internet history. He then saw 2 websites of innapropriate content that I have not visited, and would never think of visiting in my whole life. I was very stunned and started worrying of about my copping the blame for it. After all it was my laptop. I told them I would never visit such a site but like usual the technician didn't believe me. There are serious consiquences for visiting such sites. After a couple of minutes, they soon slowly .. thought about thier opion blah blah blah, I lend my laptop out to many people and I was wondering if soemone else had visited those sites on my internet, since my password is set to "remember me/password" on my computer any one could just hit enter and be in.

This has been on my mind all day, any ways of getting it out? It is really annoying me and everytime I think about it I feel really bad, even though I have done nothing wrong.

Peeky Chew

Master of Palettes
    Years
    You do not have to blame anyone, I'm sure they'll understand it wasn't you once you explain how many people you lend your laptop to.

Kota

Years
    Hello PC, well my problem may shock you, judge me and even change your opinion on me and who I am.

You see, earlier this morining at school I was having quite a good day until I went to a technology class with my friends. My internet wasn't working and neither were others. I love my laptop to shreads and cherish a lot. Anyway, I was in the class and the technician was fixing it for us, he checked th internet options and then checked the internet history. He then saw 2 websites of innapropriate content that I have not visited, and would never think of visiting in my whole life. I was very stunned and started worrying of about my copping the blame for it. After all it was my laptop. I told them I would never visit such a site but like usual the technician didn't believe me. There are serious consiquences for visiting such sites. After a couple of minutes, they soon slowly .. thought about thier opion blah blah blah, I lend my laptop out to many people and I was wondering if soemone else had visited those sites on my internet, since my password is set to "remember me/password" on my computer any one could just hit enter and be in.

This has been on my mind all day, any ways of getting it out? It is really annoying me and everytime I think about it I feel really bad, even though I have done nothing wrong.

Normally, when I feel concerned about something, it randomly attacks me too.

Honestly though, I think if you're honest, and you just assure them that it won't ever happen again they'll let you off. Just let them know how apologetic you are and I don't think you'll have a problem.

Best of wishes though.

Years
    problems with myself

Hi. I feel weak this week. It doesn't normally happens. I just got out of the hospital in May of 11th 2010. All I wanted to do is lay in bed and play ss all day. I don't feel like doing anything else. What kind of vitamins do yall kids take? I want to start taking vitamins. I'm 25 years old of age and I'm on disability. I can't work because of my heart problems. At night I feel tired, but I can't sleep. I lay in bed until 2:00 a.m. in the morning. Anyone had these problems before. Also when I'm like this I feel kinda down. So I go straight to ss. Take my life in ss. I do eat, but not much. I do walk around the neighborhood to give me extra strength and make me sleepy. But it doesn't help.

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2011
    What did you get out the hospital for? I agree with Pachy you should see a professional but they should already be giving you this kind of advice, or looking further into/monitoring your condition, especially if it's heart related. If they're not, you need to see a different doctor. For example, we don't know what vitamins could interfere with the medication you're on.

It sounds like your medical condition is making you depressed. The worst thing you can do with that is lay down, so even if you don't feel like it keep pushing yourself to get out for a walk more and eat healthy in the mean time until you can get this problem seen to. At the same time, don't overdo it, maybe see other people more often to cheer yourself up if that's a possibility, even if it's just your parents or grandparents.

I hope things get better for you soon.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
    You're slightly depressed. I don't know how limited you are due your problems, it seems you can walk outside, though. As everyone else said, go see a doctor. Well, may the lady luck be by your side.

Years
    I'll go ask him when I go back to a check up next month. The best I can do is lay in bed right now. hehe. I was in the hospital because of my pneumonia. I'm not on any medication right now. I ran out. O.o

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back