• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • This part of info appeared on Pokebeach telling us what stat the starters might focus on:
    • Mijumaru has a high Attack stat and they speculate that its final evolution may be Water / Fighting. Its signature attack, Shell Blade, is a Water-type physical attack with a base power of 75, a 95% accuracy, and lowers the opponent's Defense. He describes the animation as "Crush Claw done with a shell."
    • Pokabu has high HP and Attack but its Defense is low. Nitro Charge, its Fire-type signature attack, is physical, has a base power of 50, a 100% accuracy, and has a chance of raising Pokabu's speed.
    • In terms of animation, the blogger comments that "They seem to be adding a lot of added effects - makes you think every thing might have an added effect now."
    • He was not able to ascertain Tsutajaa's stats, but according to other people he talked to at the demo it focuses on Special stats. Tsutaaja's signature attack, Grass Mixer, is a Special attack with a base power of 65, a 90% accuracy, and has a chance of lowering the opponent's accuracy. It appears to be a Grass-type Octazooka.
    This is intresting, it seems like we have another fire type with not so hot defenses, hope they are better than Infernape's at least :).

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I like the sounds of the new Fire and Grass attacks, but I'm disappointed by Shell Blade. What's the point in Shell Blade when Waterfall has higher power AND accuracy, AND makes foes flinch too?

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • For the first time ever, I actually might choose a grass type as my starter. Tsutaaja looks the coolest to me. I'm having an issue with Mijimaru for some reason, I just don't like it. I'm indifferent about Pokabu.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2010
    Ill probably go with the snake thing cause it looks the coolest, haha.
    I usually pick the fire types though... but this fire type just looks kinda weird.
    I guess it really depends on the other types of pokemon, like if there are a lot of other grass pokemon, then ill go with the pig. Otherwise, the snake :D

La Foudre

<3 Sneasel.
    Years
  • I love Mijumaru.. I don't really like the others. They're okay, but Mijumaru is certainly my favorite. Maybe because I always end up choosing the Water starter. I dunno.

Can someone explain to me what's with all of the Mijumaru-hate? I personally think it's adorable. How could anyone hate it? D:

rocky505

<Now who's awesome!
    Years
  • Most people are hating Mijumaru because it looks sort of like piplup so they are calling it a piplup ripoff.

dragon0fangz

account moved to 649
    Years
  • all three are cool. tsutaja is overpopular, though. Mijumaru seems like a cool ninja otter, with shell blade and revenge and fury cutter. but water types are very common. Pokabu seems like it will evolve into something very cool, but i dont know much. It doesnt matter, cause i will just dump the starter in the box first chance i get, like always. Everybody starts with the starters, why should i?

Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2012
    I say this. Listen or die.

Tsutaja: Grass/Dark or Dragon
    Pokabu: Fire/Steel
    Mijumaru: Water/Ice
    (Before you poke nazi's jump down my throat what I'm about to say is just my opinion, it's not fact. lol)

Change fire/steel to fire/ground and I'd agree with you.
    As much as I'd love tsutaaja to be grass/ dragon or grass/flying I really dont think it's going to happen.
    but you never know. I could be wrong.

Jaiyke

Dog Wizard
    Years
  • chya!! Smugleaf as a new Meme makes me smile =DD

i'm still definitely starting with Mr. Smugleaf on Black xDD
    but i am now strongly considering Mijumaru for my starter in White =DD
    it's just really grown on me... alot >w<
    i'll save the awesomeness of a Fire Pig for the third 5th gen game (if there is one) xDD

Planetes.

@n_diiv
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    I will not allow Tsuutaja as the new Mudkipz!!!!
    Even if I have to bring a Pokabu doll to school on Halloween!

Luli

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • I'll be starting off with Mijumaru, I don't see why people call it a Piplup rip-off, Piplup is a Penguin Mijumaru is a otter, end of story. And after seeing the video made it look like a little teddy bear which is so epic and cute <3~ So yeah, I'll be starting with Mijumaru no matter what people call it ;3.

Dark Rukario

Lanturn Lover
    Years
  • I think they're all pretty nice in appearance - but I think I'll wait to find out more about them and their evolutions until I make a decision. You can't really make an informed decision until you know everything about them (though, I do have a history of just choosing the cutest xD).

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    Perhaps this could be a new move just for the sake of being exclusive to Mijumaru? Flamethrower has balanced power and accuracy, yet that didn't stop some people from teaching Fire Blast on some of their Pokemon.

Plus it could lower defense. Even though there's probably a small chance of that happening, if it does, then yeah, Shell Blade can be a detrimental problem at that point.

Yeah, the lowering Defence side effect could make the move worthwhile, but I still think Waterfall would be a better move. It's a shame, because if they wanted to make Mijumaru's line have a signature move, they should've made it better. Same applies to all the Isshu starters really - Octazooka is ok but not brilliant (far inferior to Energy Ball/Petal Dance really) and Nitro Charge isn't great, especially considering the lack of good Physical Fire-type moves. With a base power of only 50 I was hoping it'd have a 70%(ish) chance of raising the user's attack, like Charge Beam.

Abyssumi

Future Legends Z-A Mod
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Yeah, the lowering Defence side effect could make the move worthwhile, but I still think Waterfall would be a better move. It's a shame, because if they wanted to make Mijumaru's line have a signature move, they should've made it better. Same applies to all the Isshu starters really - Octazooka is ok but not brilliant (far inferior to Energy Ball/Petal Dance really) and Nitro Charge isn't great, especially considering the lack of good Physical Fire-type moves. With a base power of only 50 I was hoping it'd have a 70%(ish) chance of raising the user's attack, like Charge Beam.

yes i dont think many people will use grass mixer when energy ball and grass knot are available..

and i think the signature moves of the starters are far inferior to there 3rd gen counterparts..

and the lack of physical fire moves is something gamefreak needs to fix badly

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Imo, "Grass Mixer", just sounds weak overall, ... well, at least that's what I initially thought. Then again, I'll be choosing Pokabu, so that shouldn't matter to me.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back