• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Student Chat Thread

I remember us needing to do push-ups in PE every meeting in HS and me being unable to do more than five... that probably hasn't changed. Good times lmao.

Speaking of that, a semester of PE is actually required in my uni. Should've done that years ago but I'm required to get a form from my doctor that states I'm healthy enough to take the course and haven't done that yet.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    LOL. I cannot even breach the five count pushup mark. :)

in our university, we were required to pass (with a grade of 3.0) at least four courses in PE. Took up swimming last sem, and taking up duckpin bowlingg this sem.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Oh, god... PE in college... Man, I was so glad when I started college and didn't have to take PE anymore... of course lugging all those heavy textbooks to class every day was plenty enough workout for me :P

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    Well, I'm enrolled in Anatomy and Physiology this semester and if the professor was trying to haze the class, it was working.. "Even though this is a 100 level course, you will be doing as much work as a 400 or even 500 level course. The pass-fail rate for A&P is 50%."

..... I'm scared.

Years
    Well, I'm enrolled in Anatomy and Physiology this semester and if the professor was trying to haze the class, it was working.. "Even though this is a 100 level course, you will be doing as much work as a 400 or even 500 level course. The pass-fail rate for A&P is 50%."

..... I'm scared.

I can't say for sure, but a lot of lecturers hype up the difficulty of the unit so people don't slack off. I had an electronics lecturer like that. I was convinced I was going to fail the unit and ended up with a Credit.

I've transferred from Engineering to Teaching. Trying to work out course structure is a pain. I miss school, where you picked your subjects and the rest was handled for you. You just had to follow your own little personalised timetable.

Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2012
    Awwww yeahhhhhh!

This semester at my Polytechnic is looking great..! It consists of a real-world project, a Web Development course (Looks like JSP primarily, so plugging in Java code to fully functioning web applets, probably PHP), another class of Database Administration (Not sure what it will be this time around, last semester it was PL/SQL), and an advanced Operating Systems course (I am in my element here).

I guess I shouldn't get too cocky though, I should start up Emacs Org-mode and write everything, regardless of my prior knowledge, into it.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    Exciting subjects you all has. Our education system here is pretty different than yours though. I have elementary analysis 1, Newtonian Physics, and General Chemistry this sem.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Awwwww man right now I'm at school and I'm completely dead because I stayed up till 6 am the night before skyping with people >.> I really shouldn't do this because I'm not gonna pass lol. And I have a geography test tomorrow which I should study my ass off for today.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I applied in December for university this year (a few years too late, perhaps? XD) but still, I've got an offer now and it's from my first choice, so I shall probably be firming it when the time comes. I was really worried because I thought my personal statement was terrible, and the A Levels I done about 3 years ago were terrible (I'm doing a different course now) so I wasn't sure if that would put them off.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Exciting subjects you all has. Our education system here is pretty different than yours though. I have elementary analysis 1, Newtonian Physics, and General Chemistry this sem.

Chemistry~ lemme know if you need any help ;) or maybe you can help me... lol.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    We had this mock exam results day (for our GCSE grades) yesterday, which I pretty much felt was pointless, but nonetheless I'd passed everything but Sociology, so I'll be pushing myself more on that before the exam soon. I'll be starting sixth form in september, in which I'm having a little touble deciding which subjects to pick. I've narrowed down English Language and Literature, Media Studies and ICT. I'm having trouble picking a fourth choice, which I've thought about Psychology and Math. But we've also got options to arrange timetables with other colleges, but it's all just a little confusing. :s

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    We had this mock exam results day (for our GCSE grades) yesterday, which I pretty much felt was pointless, but nonetheless I'd passed everything but Sociology, so I'll be pushing myself more on that before the exam soon. I'll be starting sixth form in september, in which I'm having a little touble deciding which subjects to pick. I've narrowed down English Language and Literature, Media Studies and ICT. I'm having trouble picking a fourth choice, which I've thought about Psychology and Math. But we've also got options to arrange timetables with other colleges, but it's all just a little confusing. :s

Don't do maths unless you'll need it for your degree (which, at this point, you should have some sort of vague idea of if you plan on it at all) since it's really hard. Media Studies is also becoming a less accepted A-level now so you might want to think twice before picking that if you want to go to university.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Last semester was hell. One 400-level course, my capstone for my major, and a number of other tough courses.

This semester is a lot more relaxed. I have one 400-level course but it's not as hard and I'm more interested in it, two 100-level courses (one of which is a philosophy of logic course that I have high hopes for), and a course that basically the instructor hasn't decided what to do with. Good times.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    PE in middle school blows. You learn how to play sports you don't care about, and don't even get me started on running the mile.

We had a whole seperate Sex Ed class in eighth grade. That subject is awkward enough for me, but one day we had to roleplay about getting out of situations we weren't comfortable in. Yeah, you can imagine how that went.
    PE is a weird class. In some schools they just make you do random activities, in others they teach you about healthy lifestyles, etc.

Anyone else an IB diploma candidate?

Nihilego

Years
    I've heard of the IB but never been part of an IB course. I don't understand how they're better than A-Levels. I mean, they're harder, so it's harder to get better grades, so less chance of getting into uni, right?

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
    My second semester just started last week and a part of me is nervous because I know it's going to be a lot harder than my last semester. I LOVE statistics, and I had that last semester, but now I have other courses that I know aren't as logical and more 'socially constructed'...argh.

- I'm in my 4th year in University, however, I am doing it in 5 years. Sociology Major.

Years

Anyone else an IB diploma candidate?
    I think some people got chosen for that when I was in secondary school it I nfver really understood what it was or what it was about.

I've heard of the IB but never been part of an IB course. I don't understand how they're better than A-Levels. I mean, they're harder, so it's harder to get better grades, so less chance of getting into uni, right?
    I doubt they'd work like that. My guess is say it was one grade harder than A levels, if you gir a C then it'd be classed as a B if you were taking A levels wouldn't it?

Nihilego

Years
    I doubt they'd work like that. My guess is say it was one grade harder than A levels, if you gir a C then it'd be classed as a B if you were taking A levels wouldn't it?

I'm fairly sure the IB uses a point system rather than grades. And if it was just an A-Level + 1 grade I don't see the point in it... It's not like getting an A* at A-Level is exactly easy lol.

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2012
    A 1500-word essay has been assigned to us as part of our final grade. It is due on Thursday, and today our instructor posted what we should do and the topic at hand. Neat, no?

Also, we have a Calculus III exam on Monday! Partial derivatives and infinite series aren't hard to grasp; however, I'm having trouble with the double and triple integrations, not evaluating them but setting up the limits of the integrals when given a domain and/or a (x, y, z) figure. Our math instructor, to perfectly describe him, sucks.

Back