• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen The Team Help Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • Swampert is probably the stronger of the two. A good in-game moveset for it would be...

- Surf
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Beam
    - Protect

Although, Blaziken is good too. I guess a good in-game moveset for it would be...

- Blaze Kick
    - Sky Uppercut
    - Aerial Ace/Earthquake
    - Bulk Up

I'd take this post with a grain of salt until SSS posts. xD

The Swampert set is what I always go with, actually. :P Blaziken, however, I tend to switch around. Here's a few.

Flamethrower
    Sky Uppercut
    Aerial Ace / Earthquake
    Mirror Move

Flamethrower / Blaze Kick
    Hyper Beam
    Sky Uppercut / Dynamic Punch (for Emerald)
    Aerial Ace / E-Quake

Not too much of a difference, though. Just remember that Fire-type attacks are still special in this game.

King!

better
    Years
  • So, overall, I have no idea of the answer to my edging problem, who to start with......

Anywho, thanks for the movesets, guys!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Need some suggestions for my FireRed team. C: So far, I've decided on four members. Move sets will be determined later, but here:

Wartortle (not evolving)
    Nidorina (not evolving)
    Jolteon
    Arcanine

I still need two others, excluding the following: Pidgeot, Parasect, Clefable, Rhydon, Starmie, Fearow, Primeape, or any legendary birds. I also don't need any duplicate types (with the exception of dual-types). Still need a flying type of some sort, and I also don't mind doing any in-game trades. I was considering the Jynx in Cerulean, too.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2009
    suggestions

*Mods: sorry I posted this in the wrong spot earlier*

Any suggestions/comments for this team for Fire Red?

I currently am saved outside Gary on the second go-round of the Elite Four, and I've come one pokemon short of defeating him two times; the first time the last pokemon was Gyrados but my Jolteon had fainted already and my last pokemon was Arcanine, and the other time was Alakazam and Alakazam got lucky and killed my last pokemon with a critical hit.

Lv 52 Blastoise (Item: Mystic Water)
    Hydro Cannon
    Surf
    Strength
    Brick Break

Lv 52 Lapras (Item: Nevermeltice)
    Hydro Pump
    Ice Beam
    Waterfall
    Psychic

Lv 52 Pidgeot (Item: King's Rock)
    Hyper Beam
    Fly
    Wing Attack
    Featherdance

Lv 52 Bellossom (Item: Miracle Seed)
    Solarbeam
    Giga Drain
    Sludge Bomb
    Sunny Day

Lv 53 Arcanine (Item: Charcoal)
    Overheat
    Hyper Beam
    Flamethrower
    Extremespeed

Lv 55 Jolteon (Item: Amulet Coin)
    Thunder
    Shock Wave
    Thunder Wave
    Rain Dance

I have 5 hyper potions, 14 full restores, 4 max potions, a ton of full heals, and just 1 revive.

My strategy has been so far:

Heracross
    -Send out Pidgeot
    -Use Featherdance x3 times, Heracross only uses counter
    -Switch to Arcanine, use Flamethrower and then Overheat

Venusaur
    -Send out Pidgeot
    -Use Featherdance x3 times, restore Pidgeot's health
    -Venusaur typically starts using Sludge Bomb but switches to Solarbeam
    -Use Fly to escape being hit by Solarbeam until Venusaur faints

Tyranitar
    -Send out Jolteon
    -Use Thunder Wave and Jolteon is typically ko'd on the next move
    -Send out Pidgeot
    -Use Featherdance (Bellossom will be killed in one hit by Aerial Ace otherwise) until Pidgeot faints
    -Send out Bellossom
    -Use Sunny Day to cancel out Tyranitar's sand storm
    -Use Giga Drain to get just outside the "red health zone" and keep Bellossom alive, and then use Solarbeam to ko Tyranitar

Arcanine
    -Send out Blastoise
    -Use Surf to wane Arcanine down
    -Blastioise typically faints after a while
    -Send out Lapras
    -KO Arcanine with Hydro Pump

And this is where I usually get stuck. I want to beat Gary here lol. Gyarados is no problem, Jolteon kills it instantly with a successful Thunder attack. But Alakazam is posing a problem because my two highest physical power pokemon, Pidgeot and Arcanine, are usually fainted by the time Alakazam comes around (or Arcanine struggles against Psychic), and Lapras can only beat Alakazam on very good luck.

Last edited:

.Busou Kihaku.

私は神で取る!
    Years
  • Need some suggestions for my FireRed team. C: So far, I've decided on four members. Move sets will be determined later, but here:

Wartortle (not evolving)
    Nidorina (not evolving)
    Jolteon
    Arcanine

I still need two others, excluding the following: Pidgeot, Parasect, Clefable, Rhydon, Starmie, Fearow, Primeape, or any legendary birds. I also don't need any duplicate types (with the exception of dual-types). Still need a flying type of some sort, and I also don't mind doing any in-game trades. I was considering the Jynx in Cerulean, too.
    Go for Pidgeot, 'cause he's the cool moe dee of Fly- Types. And Clefable, i thought he had like a OMFG amount of HP

Panfisha

BIGGLYPUFF?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2021
    Need some suggestions for my FireRed team. C: So far, I've decided on four members. Move sets will be determined later, but here:

Wartortle (not evolving)
    Nidorina (not evolving)
    Jolteon
    Arcanine

Hmmm well really, unless you DO plan on evolving nidorina, don't bother with her since poison isn't that helpful against many of the trainers and gyms in kanto.
    You do need a psychic, but jynx doesn't learn any psychic moves on her own, so try and catch an abra. Because really, the ratio of poison pokemon to every other kind in Kanto is ridiculous.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Go for Pidgeot, 'cause he's the cool moe dee of Fly- Types. And Clefable, i thought he had like a OMFG amount of HP

I already said I don't want Pidgeot or Clefable. I have them on LeafGreen.

Hmmm well really, unless you DO plan on evolving nidorina, don't bother with her since poison isn't that helpful against many of the trainers and gyms in kanto.
    You do need a psychic, but jynx doesn't learn any psychic moves on her own, so try and catch an abra. Because really, the ratio of poison pokemon to every other kind in Kanto is ridiculous

I like to use my favorites, and Nidorina's in my top 5, as well as Wartortle. That's why neither of them are evolving. Also, there are such things as TMs, because I really don't mind Jynx. Also, I have an Alakazam in Emerald, so...I should have put that on the list of Pokemon that I don't need suggested.

Thanks to both of you, anyway. Anyone else wanna give it a shot? xD

And this is where I usually get stuck. I want to beat Gary here lol. Gyarados is no problem, Jolteon kills it instantly with a successful Thunder attack. But Alakazam is posing a problem because my two highest physical power pokemon, Pidgeot and Arcanine, are usually fainted by the time Alakazam comes around (or Arcanine struggles against Psychic), and Lapras can only beat Alakazam on very good luck.

Why not use Lapras on his Arcanine instead? Or hit his Arcanine with Blastoise's Hydro Cannon instead of Surf. You lose a turn, but you're holding a Mystic Water and you get a STAB boost, so that should KO the dog. Your Arcanine should smack Kazam with E-Speed a few times (since I image Kazam is faster). If Arcanine faints, I suggest handling Kazam with the Pidgeot. I don't know if he has Recover or not though, so I can't really say whether or not to use Fly.

And I wouldn't worry so much about paralysing T-Tar. I say you go for a quick kill. Its sp. defense isn't fantastic or anything, so smack it with a H-Cannon (or H-Pump from Lapras). Never battled Gary the second time, so sorry if this doesn't help.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2009
    Why not use Lapras on his Arcanine instead? Or hit his Arcanine with Blastoise's Hydro Cannon instead of Surf. You lose a turn, but you're holding a Mystic Water and you get a STAB boost, so that should KO the dog. Your Arcanine should smack Kazam with E-Speed a few times (since I image Kazam is faster). If Arcanine faints, I suggest handling Kazam with the Pidgeot. I don't know if he has Recover or not though, so I can't really say whether or not to use Fly.

And I wouldn't worry so much about paralysing T-Tar. I say you go for a quick kill. Its sp. defense isn't fantastic or anything, so smack it with a H-Cannon (or H-Pump from Lapras). Never battled Gary the second time, so sorry if this doesn't help.

The problem is, my Pokemon are 20 levels lower than Gary's. Arcanine can't kill Alakazam that easily lol, and Pidgeot is usually expended on Tyranitar.

King!

better
    Years

Wartortle (not evolving)
    Nidorina (not evolving)
    Jolteon
    Arcanine

Aerodactyl might be good, seeings as it's rock type and you don't have one of those....

A grass type might also do good, because Arcanine, Nidorina, and Jolteon are all weak to ground.... Maybe Exeggutor would be good, because it's Psychic too?

You have Wartortle though.

This is all judged on type, however.....

Ru-Kun

bleh...
    Years
  • I agree with iPrincess about the Aerodactyl. They have a (in my opinion) a very good speed is and attack. I'm not sure about the other though. I would say Victribell, but that's only on LG.

King!

better
    Years
  • Okay, as I said before I'm playing through Emerald(I ended up starting with Mudkip), and now I have my whole team....

~Swampert
    ~Swellow
    ~Breloom
    ~Gardevoir
    ~Hariyama
    ~Crawdaunt(HM Slave)

I have a good moveset for Swampert and Swellow, but I have a few problems with the other three....

~Gardevoir:
    I have Thunderbolt and Psychic on it, but should I have Hypnosis and Dream Eater, Hypnosis and Calm Mind, Double Team and Calm Mind, or something else?

~Hariyama:
    I have Strength on it, but what should the other three moves be?

~Breloom:
    I have the basic outline; Leech Seed, Sky Uppercut, Headbutt, grass move, Sunny Day(replacing something), butoverall, what would a could moveset be?

Thank you!

B_button_member

Master Breeder
    Years
  • I haven't really studied up on my Omastar before, So I'll read you my Omastar's moves and stats and see what you think...

Lvl.50
    Docile Nature
    Good Perseverance

Atk:70
    Defense:176
    Sp.Atk:130
    Sp.Def:89
    Speed:73

Ability:Shell Armor

Moveset:
    Brine (Water)
    Ice Beam (Ice)
    Spike Cannon (Normal)
    Protect (Normal)

Anything I should change?

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I'm trying to think up a team for a playthrough of Emerald, and am having no luck coming up with anything.

All I know is that I want to use a Shedinja, and my starter in the team, I am open, however to any other suggestions.

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
  • How about using Aggron and Manectric with your starter and Shedinja? They both are awesome :D

Azu

I'm going playing FireRed version now, but I'm thinking of a team that I would like to have first.

I'm hesitating between Charmander and Squirtle, because Charizard would be pretty powerful as a firetype. Blastoise is also pretty powerful.

I'm looking for a Grass/Fire/Water/Physchic/Flying/Electric or Ground. Or a Balanced team (though main purpose is to have them to use the HM's).

If I chose Charmander, I'm thinking of Oddish (and evolve it later to either Blessom or Vileplume later) for grass, Charizard for fire, and Lapras for water (since the faq I read says that I will be able to get it later in the game), Kadabra for Physchic, (?) for flying and Pikachu. I do want a Dugtrio and/or Machoke (still can't make up my mind XD since Ground type are immune to Electric attacks and fighting types are strong).

If I chose Squirtle, I'll have to give up Lapras for water and go for Flareon, Ninetales or Arcanine for Fire type. Also, I'm not sure which one I should go for Flying type. Main purpose is to use Fly, though. Is Pidgeot good? I really want a Dragonite, though. But I will only get it later in the game. I'm also not looking for HM slaves (Except for Flash XD).

Or maybe I should just go for Bulbasaur? Since I already had the fire and water types worked out. XD;; .

I'm looking for a team that will see me through the whole game, so any suggestions on who I should change/choose? Dual types will do, too. Thanks!

Last edited:

JeTz

ジェット
    Years
  • Any suggestion for my Emerald team?

Starmie @ Leftovers
    -Ice Beam
    -Surf
    -Recover
    -Thunderbolt

Salamence @ Focus band
    -Dragon Claw
    -Fly
    -Rock Slide
    -Flame Thrower

Pikachu @ Light Ball
    -Iron Tail
    -Thunderbolt
    -Thunder
    -Volt Tackle

Ursaring @ Quick Claw
    -Ice Punch
    -Fire Punch
    -Thunder Punch
    -Mega Punch/Body Slam (Help me decide thanks)

Venusaur @ BrightPowder
    -Synthesis
    -Sunny Day
    -Solar Beam
    -Razor Leaf

Charizard @ Charcoal
    -Fly
    -Rock Slide
    -Earthquake
    -Flame Thrower

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • You've got moves covered, that's for sure...hmm...

Pikachu - he doesn't need 3 attacks of the same type. I'd keep Volt Tackle, and maybe Thunderbolt just for the sake of accuracy and saving HP. I'd replace Thunder with Thunder Wave. But then again, I'm just not a fan of that move. And evolve the thing. That will help a lot. You can get a Thunder Stone in New Mauville.

Ursaring - Body Slam > Mega Punch. More accurate, and it can paralyze. As for the other moves, they're still special attacks in RSE, and I'm not really sure on how well Urasring dishes out special attacks. My guess is that he's more of a physical attacker than special.

Venusaur - Get rid of Razor Leaf for Sludgebomb. You'll get Poison STAB and it can poison. If you don't want the move per se, then go with Toxic. Or grab a Heart Scale and relearn Leech Seed. Or heck, get crazy and have Toxic AND Leech Seed. Deadly combo.

Starmie - A psychic-type without Psychic? If anything, I'd say goodbye to Thunderbolt for Psychic. Definitely recommended, especially since you already have a loaded electric Pokemon.

Salamence - Why Flamethrower when you have Charizard? Eh. I guess keep it, since Mence didn't have the world's greatest moveset in RSE. I'm fairly sure Dragon Dance is an egg move, too. So...I don't know.

Overall, there's just so many attacks and not enough stat moves/annoyers. Oh well, though. I'm sure this isn't for competitive anyway, but I was thinking it was at least Battle Frontier.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back