• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen There's something about Rotom...

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2011
    i dont class it as a legendary i class it as an event pokemon/you have to do something in order to unlock it which means its harder to get (not harder to capture just to find) but that does NOT make it a legendary

And neither is phione classified as a legendary lol...it is bred from a legendary but it isnt one, it is just like rotom u need to do something to get it but that does not make it a legendary it is classed maybe as a rare"er" pokemon but no it isnt a legendary

TERRA#493

Competitive Battler
    Years
  • the only thing, what lets discuss, if rotom is an legendary, is the music, when you battle rotom ... in my opinion rotom is NOT legendary, because

- it has no overworld-template like most of the other legendarys
    - it has no high stats
    - it has no special role
    - it dont looks like an legendary..

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    the only thing, what lets discuss, if rotom is an legendary, is the music, when you battle rotom ... in my opinion rotom is NOT legendary, because

- it has no overworld-template like most of the other legendarys
    - it has no high stats
    - it has no special role
    - it dont looks like an legendary..

What I put in bold is a bit off in my opinion. If it was a legendary then would you say the same thing? I don't think it matters how it really looks.

Anyways, I was mistaken before that Rotom was a legendary because of how you had to wait until night time until you can finally bump the television to catch or battle it. Though there is several reasons on why it shouldn't be a legendary unless the storyline for it was changed. First of all, Rotom is at a low level, and if it was a legendary I am pretty sure it would've been at a higher level. It's really easy to catch in my opinion. With real legendaries, it takes some time until you can finally catch it unless you have a stragety. Also, if Rotom was considered a legendary, then all of it's formes would be considered one as well. That would be way too much legendary formes for one Rotom. Plus the Rotom formes are events and it would only make the regular Rotom an event somehow as well. Therefore, those are some reasons why you can tell Rotom isn't a legendary and in my own opinion, it should stay a non-legendary.

Fredu999

Pro Drummer
    Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2013
    What I put in bold is a bit off in my opinion. If it was a legendary then would you say the same thing? I don't think it matters how it really looks.

True, if you think about Mew for example. Wouldn't you say it looks a little like Pikachu or some other cute pokemon. It doesn't look that special like, say Giratina (in fact, I think they exaggerated it's look..).

Pidgeot79

:ASOD
    Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2011
    -legendary music plays when you battle it
    -obtained differently
    -near the end of the Pokedex with other legends
    -only one per game
    -it's banned from the Pokemon VGC tournament along with other legendaries (note: Tyranitar is banned because you can not get a level 50 or below Tyranitar and level 50 is the cap for the tournament)

Yes, I like to qualify it as legendary. :shocked:

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Arcanine and Lucario was once classified as 'Legendary' Pokémons as well, but that's because of either their amazing stats or movie appearance.

I would say that the forms of Rotom are the special events, because one must get the key to obtain the rest. Other than that, Rotom is just another rare Pokémon.

timekaiser

Friend Code: 1634 5420 3920
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2010
    I classify it as a normal but really rare Pokemon the one you catch happens to be special thought if you follow the storyline of it...It along with Heatran, Spiritomb and other 1 only Pokemon in games are just rare in the game not legends

Of course this doesn't include the legends which have an actual background as to it being a legend...Its the Plasma Pokemon...as in the stuff not on Earth so that's why its rare

I remember the old story in the first Pokemon series about all Pokemon coming in a spacecraft well maybe there's only a few Rotom made from the Plasma on that ship lol

Arcanine and Lucario was once classified as 'Legendary' Pokémons as well, but that's because of either their amazing stats or movie appearance.

I would say that the forms of Rotom are the special events, because one must get the key to obtain the rest. Other than that, Rotom is just another rare Pokémon.

Arcanine was thought to be a legend because its "The Legendary Pokemon" like most Pokemon have a title and above i forgot Lucario xD

P.S. Plural of Pokemon is Pokemon not Pokemons

Years
  • at first I thought rotom was a legendary dew to the fact that you can breed them with the exception of Manaphy also the event was only for you to get the other forms

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    at first I thought rotom was a legendary dew to the fact that you can breed them with the exception of Manaphy also the event was only for you to get the other forms

Don't you mean you thought it was a legendary because you cannot breed with them? Legendaries cannot breed unless you use Action Replay. Only a few legendaries can, I think.

Anyways, Rotom's formes could make you think it was a legendary as well, because of how you could only get them through the Secret Key event. At that time, I thought it was a legendary, but pokemon.com confirmed it to be just a regular pokemon, so I stopped believing it was a legendary pokemon.

PokemonFanatic2

Under the rainbow
    Years
  • Arcanine and Lucario was once classified as 'Legendary' Pokémons as well, but that's because of either their amazing stats or movie appearance.

A legendary pokemon is legendary because it has a legend behind it, not because it has pwning stats ><

Shem

Bored...
    Years
  • I don't believe Rotom is legendary, I did until I found him and realized there was no legend behind him.

He's compareable to Lapras in Silver and Gold. there was only one in the game that could only be caught on a certain day in a certain place, but Lapras isn't legendary. In fact, I think that's the only time you could actually catch it in the mainstream pokemon games (Maybe gale of darkness?)

Zetsu_69

Director of Cheese
    Years
    • CA
    • Seen Sep 4, 2009
    I classify it as legendary because it's one of a kind. Thus a "legend".

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • A legendary pokemon is legendary because it has a legend behind it, not because it has pwning stats ><
    Alright. Powerful stats may not make a Legendary Pokémon, but a few Pokémon that are classified as Legendary do not have a story behind it, like Heatran.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I classify it as legendary because it's one of a kind. Thus a "legend".

I guess you can call it a legend because of the Old Chataeu story, but I don't think it's so special to be a real legendary. Pokemon.com has already confirmed it to be a regular pokemon as well. Thus it isn't a legendary pokemon, but the people who classify it as a really special pokemon, special enough to be a legendary, can call Rotom a legendary because no one is stopping them and it's what you want to call it.

Also, Rotom couldn't have been a legendary because you can get it early in the game at night when you obtain cut. Having a legendary really early in the game hasn't happened yet, and I don't think it will happen for a long time.

Zetsu_69

Director of Cheese
    Years
    • CA
    • Seen Sep 4, 2009
    Alright. Powerful stats may not make a Legendary Pokémon, but a few Pokémon that are classified as Legendary do not have a story behind it, like Heatran.
    Actually most pokemon don't seem to have a story about them outside of rumors or out-of-game-movies. Like latias and latios are only mentioned once or twice and just as some random flying pokemon.

.Razr

Blazing Ace
    Years
  • Legendary pokemon are called legendaries for a reason, because they have a legend behind it. A pokemon does not count as legendary unless it has a legend, like dialga and palkia and giritina have legends behind them, which is why they are one.

accualy, though i'm not saying rotom is a legendary, once you get the seceret key and find the room with the devices rotom can go int, there's a book/journel on the table that says the story of rotom...

Also there is a story behind Heatran as well, talk to the old man at the place where you can battle the gym leaders and he will tell you the story behind it.

And finally, Latias and Latios are NOT legendaries! On the pokedex entry it says something like "Groups of these pokemon are found flying around the wordl" so there! It clearly states that they arn't legendaries!

a.new.bent

likes fire
    Years
  • I easily see it as a normal pokemon. It is just obtained differently kind of like driftloon or something like that.

Back