• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen There's something about Rotom...

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2009
    Personally, I don't consider anything that evolves "Legendary" to me, not to mention one of its evolutions is a lawn mower. I mean, come on, Mow Rotom? :'(

RegiMasta

Regi Trainer
    Years
    • Oz
    • Seen Jun 16, 2009
    Yes, I consider rotom a legendary, because unlike "Driftloon" (really?) different music plays when you catch it, There's only one, and you need to wait until the national dex to get it! I don't care if pokemon.com says it isn't, in my book, that makes it a legendary.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    He's compareable to Lapras in Silver and Gold. there was only one in the game that could only be caught on a certain day in a certain place, but Lapras isn't legendary. In fact, I think that's the only time you could actually catch it in the mainstream pokemon games (Maybe gale of darkness?)

No, you can catch wild Lapras in the Ice Cave (lol, I dunno what it's called) on Four Island, in the area where you battle with Lorelei in FireRed/LeafGreen, I believe.

Also, Rotom's definitely not a legendary. He's simply a one-off Pokémon. Part of the idea is that all major legendaries cannot breed (excepting Manaphy), but Rotom can. As other people have said, what makes a Pokémon legendary is that there's a story or something behind it.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I personally believe it is legendary. Its placement in the PokeDex, Battle Music, and multiple forms that require a Key item tekk me so. These are things that normal Pokemon dont sport.

Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    I read online that Rotom is not a legendary, but is regarded as one sometimes.
    I was wondering whether you classed it as one or not and why.

No, I wouldn't say that Rotom is a legendary, because its stat total is simply too low in my opinion. I love him though, I use one in competitive battling all the time :D

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    It's a legendary/event poke, but it's just not considered as one by some people because you can breed it which is unusual for a legendary.

What I put in bold is something I don't agree with. I mean yes, you can consider it that, but it has been confirmed to be a regular pokemon. I am sure some people can still consider it legendaries, but for the real facts it isn't one is what I am stating here.

What I do, is go by the real statements and so that's why I don't consider Rotom a legendary. As I have said before, there are multiple reasons why you can mistaken it to be one but then when you get to hear the truth, you're shocked. I was a bit shocked at first, but then I realized on how it can't be a legendary pokemon. Rotom can breed as you said, and that is unlike most legendaries. Rotom does not learn special moves [not sure about the formes, but I am talking about the regular Rotom] but instead, learns regular pokemon moves. Most legendaries are high levels, but Rotom is only lv. 20 [I think]; and legendaries have much better stats. As you can see, there are several reasons why Rotom can't be a legendary.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • Heatran, Manaphy.....Cresellia?

Heatran, Cresselia, Latios and Latias have genders.... they can't breed. Manaphy can breed, but there cannot be two in one game without trading or activating more than one WonderCard. Rotom is, so far, the only "legendary" that can breed with a Ditto and create more than one Rotom. As such, I don't consider it a legendary. However, I believe more insight is needed in order to create a set of 'guidelines' of sorts so that this issue can be settled.

Years
    • they/them
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 7, 2024
    Heatran, Cresselia, Latios and Latias have genders.... they can't breed
    Ok, But My Friends Cousin Dosent Know Anything About Hacking, AR, Cheating Or Pokesav.And Still Got A Hetaran Egg

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2018
    Yes, I'd have to agree.
    I think that Rotom, is an event Pokèmon. Just like Darkrai.
    Well, that's my oppinion.

-JayTee.

Tinhead Bruce

the Neighbour
    Years
  • I think that any Pokemon that you only have one chance to catch, it is a legendary. :D

Except not.... by your definition, almost all the Legendaries in D/P/Pt are not truly Legendaries. The Faerie Trio will not go away if you die while in battle with them, nor will any of the roaming Legends. They will just spawn again, in a new place. Does this mean they aren't legends?

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2009
    I read online that Rotom is not a legendary, but is regarded as one sometimes.
    I was wondering whether you classed it as one or not and why.

Due to the information provided by Nintendo, I do not classify it as a legendary Pokémon.

Red Rain said:
    It isn't a legendary and was proved in some Q&A thing on Pokemon.com.

Not just on the official Pokémon website, it was stated in an official Pokémon handbook for Diamond and Pearl.

Pidgeot79 said:
    legendary music plays when you battle it

Let's clear up some confusion, it's never actually been stated that the battle music we hear when we encounter a legendary defines it as legendary. It could simply mean that this battle is an important battle within the game or to signify that there's only one obtainable. On that note, Cresselia and Shaymin do the opposite being the only legendaries encountered in Generation IV in which the normal wild battle music plays.

Pidgeot79 said:
    obtained differently

Due to the Pokémon being associated with an official Nintendo event, I would assume so.

Pidgeot79 said:
    near the end of the Pokedex with other legends

We shouldn't define a legendary Pokémon by its Pokédex entry?

Pidgeot79 said:
    only one per game

I never knew the term "legendary" meant single or one? We shouldn't define a Pokémon's legendary status simply because there is only one obtainable in every game?

Pidgeot79 said:
    it's banned from the Pokemon VGC tournament along with other legendaries (note: Tyranitar is banned because you can not get a level 50 or below Tyranitar and level 50 is the cap for the tournament)

As you would know Rotom is special for being the only Pokémon to learn certain moves while in it's different forms (that's right forms, not evolutions).
    • As Heat Rotom, Rotom is the only Pokémon that can learn Overheat without breeding or via TM.
    • As Mow Rotom, Rotom is the only non-Grass-type to learn Leaf Storm.
    • As Fan Rotom, Rotom is the only non-Flying-type to learn Air Slash.
    • As Wash Rotom, along with Lugia and the Bagon family, are the only non-Water-types that can learn Hydro Pump.

This may be a reason why it's restricted or why it's forms are only available in Platinum.

Resource(s):
    Bulbapedia Rotom_(Pokémon)

(Can't post links due to post count.)

Last edited:

Alex31

Pro D<
    Years
  • Rotom is what I would call a "Rare" Pokemon. Whilst it's uncommon in the wild, and you need to do something special to find it, it's like Spiritomb, Riolu which you can only obtain once, Rotom would be on the same par as them, considering you can breed Rotom's.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Rotom is what I would call a "Rare" Pokemon. Whilst it's uncommon in the wild, and you need to do something special to find it, it's like Spiritomb, Riolu which you can only obtain once, Rotom would be on the same par as them, considering you can breed Rotom's.

I couldn't agree more. Even though you can catch Rotom unlike Riolu, it's still like Spiritomb. Spiritomb's battle music is legendary like as well, but that does not classify it as a legendary, so what makes Rotom any different? Other than the formes [which I wouldn't mind them being legendaries] I have to say, Rotom is absolutely varified as a regular rare pokemon.

jacobyoung1996

Variety Gym ******
    Years
  • I wouldn't call it for a legendary because it's not such a rare thing (like Lugia, Ho-Oh) and also because its a pretty crappy pokemon.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I wouldn't call it for a legendary because it's not such a rare thing (like Lugia, Ho-Oh) and also because its a pretty crappy pokemon.

Well it isn't as rare as Ho-oh or Lugia yes, but it is rather rare.

First things first:
    - It's the only one you can catch in the game
    - It's the only pokemon who has more formes
    - Rotom's formes have special moves
    - Its formes are only obtainable through the Secret Key which you receive as an event
    - Even though it isn't specified to be a legendary, it does have similar battle music to the legendaries.

There are many more reasons of course, and some we don't even know about. Though there are reasons why it isn't that rare as well.

As for the part on where you said it is crappy, I'd have to agree with you, but not by much. As its regular form the stats aren't too, too great, but it is stronger than a lot of other pokémon out there. Rotom can be useful for many things, but you just have to know how to use the right stragety for it.

Back