• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen There's something about Rotom...

Ultraviolence

alt account for Eros
Years
    • Age 28
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 3, 2019
    Well, from what I make out, some of you are classing other Pokémon like 'Ninetales' and 'Riolu' ad ledgendaries. Why?

Riolu - The ledgend of the Kingdom- Riolu is the Heir of the Aura.

Ninetales - PMD. May not be in the Anime, but a Pokémon Ledgend, all the same.

But yes, I do class Rotom 'legdandary' becausw of the story of the Old Chateau.

Kazukii

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2009
    Yeah, Rotum is an event pokemon, I wouldn't say it's a legendary, no.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Well, from what I make out, some of you are classing other Pokémon like 'Ninetales' and 'Riolu' ad ledgendaries. Why?

Riolu - The ledgend of the Kingdom- Riolu is the Heir of the Aura.

Ninetales - PMD. May not be in the Anime, but a Pokémon Ledgend, all the same.

But yes, I do class Rotom 'legdandary' becausw of the story of the Old Chateau.

We're talking about main series Pokemon games. Not spinoffs, or the anime. And in none of these are legends made about these Pokemon. Rotom is not a legendary, he's just a Pokemon with a story, the story of the Old Chateau is not a legend.

TeaTiMe

Breeder Elite
    Years
  • Depends on the game

Ok in D/P it's legendary, only one of them and you catch it at night. In Platinum you can catch a few and at night. Not legendary in Plat but in D/P... odd

Snerd

Super Nerd
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Feb 14, 2011
    That's what makes Rotom interesting.

When you're catching it, it plays the legendary music. Therefore you'd think it's legendary.

But it's Stats are a lot lower than any of the other legendaries, which makes you think it isn't.

I'd have to say it's a legendary...

UraharaSteph

Science Has Never Been So Sexy
    Years
  • Legendary? Or just plain rare?

Legendary? I think not. It doesn't have a legend behind it. It's a mysetrious Pokémon that just likes to live in a tv. I wouldn't mind living in a tv my self in all honesty.

So why do people think it's a legendary? Well, in my book, a legendary Pokémon has to have a legend behind it. People most likely think Rotom is a legendary because it's rare and you can only catch it once... But if you defeat it, you get another chance to catch it. Where as a legendary, it's not all that simple. Once defeated, you sometimes don't even get another chance to catch it.

In my own conclusion, I think Rotom is just rare... right?

rnstyip

"Next please!"
    Years
  • I read online that Rotom is not a legendary, but is regarded as one sometimes.
    I was wondering whether you classed it as one or not and why.

Im guessing you saw it in my thread. Anyways, I class it as a normal pokemon, though you can only get one. By the way, it can breed.

Ok, But My Friends Cousin Dosent Know Anything About Hacking, AR, Cheating Or Pokesav.And Still Got A Hetaran Egg

That happened with my friend. He got a Rayquaza egg. But the save file thingy said it was corrupted, BECAUSE YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO GET A RAQUAZA EGG! Sorry for the caps.

Well it isn't as rare as Ho-oh or Lugia yes, but it is rather rare.

First things first:
    - It's the only one you can catch in the game
    - It's the only pokemon who has more formes
    - Rotom's formes have special moves
    - Its formes are only obtainable through the Secret Key which you receive as an event
    - Even though it isn't specified to be a legendary, it does have similar battle music to the legendaries.

There are many more reasons of course, and some we don't even know about. Though there are reasons why it isn't that rare as well.

As for the part on where you said it is crappy, I'd have to agree with you, but not by much. As its regular form the stats aren't too, too great, but it is stronger than a lot of other pokémon out there. Rotom can be useful for many things, but you just have to know how to use the right stragety for it.

Though you do have a point there, I'd have to disagree. Number one, you can get more by breeding. Number two, the moves can be learned by NON-LEGENDS. Number three, the only reason it has the legends music is because there is only one you can catch (Not breed).

Last edited:

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Im guessing you saw it in my thread. Anyways, I class it as a normal pokemon, though you can only get one. By the way, it can breed.

That happened with my friend. He got a Rayquaza egg. But the save file thingy said it was corrupted, BECAUSE YOU AREN'T SUPPOSED TO GET A RAQUAZA EGG! Sorry for the caps.

Though you do have a point there, I'd have to disagree. Number one, you can get more by breeding. Number two, the moves can be learned by NON-LEGENDS. Number three, the only reason it has the legends music is because there is only one you can catch (Not breed).

That's why I said it is the only one you can catch. Also, they are still classified as special moves for the formes, but even though, it can't be classified as a legendary because it isn't as special as what the legendaries learn such as Roar of Time or Spaciel Rend. Even if that's true, Rotom has an Old Chataeu storyline behind it which is like a legend, which is why people could mistaken it as a legendary.

Spiritomb can possibly be just like Rotom seeing as how it is similar to how Rotom can be mistaken as a legendary. For one, Spiritomb can only be obtained if you speak to 30 people underground, or talk to that one person 30 times. Spiritomb can only be unlocked with the Odd Keystone, but since the Odd Keystone obtainable in Twinleaf Town, the person near Hearthome City, and the underground I don't classify it as rare as the Secret Key. Spiritomb's battle music is legendary-like but that's probably because it's the only one you can catch in the game; just like Rotom.

Since Rotom is not a legendary, at least there are ways it can be a special thing in the game, and the same goes for Spiritomb perhaps.

Bagel

Live Long, laugh forever
    Years
  • rotom is tricky

if it were a legendarie it would probably play a biger part in ta game

special batle music dsnt make it a legendarie

when u meet creselia in ta wild it has no special batle music but it is stil a legeodarie

and its stat is way 2 Low

my shaymin is ta same level as my rotom and there is a dramatic diforense in the stats

legendaries even at low level have high stats tats what tem apart from normal pokemon

so is rotom a legendarie
    i dnt tink so

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    rotom is tricky

if it were a legendarie it would probably play a biger part in ta game

special batle music dsnt make it a legendarie

when u meet creselia in ta wild it has no special batle music but it is stil a legeodarie

and its stat is way 2 Low

my shaymin is ta same level as my rotom and there is a dramatic diforense in the stats

legendaries even at low level have high stats tats what tem apart from normal pokemon

so is rotom a legendarie
    i dnt tink so

Cresselia may not have special battle music, but Cresselia has a legend behind it. Rotom has the Old Chataeu story behind it as well, but Cresselia's own plays a big part in the game as the item it leaves behind is important to heal the boy from the bad nightmare. Your Shaymin is obviously hacked as there has not been an event for Shaymin to where it is LV. 20. Though I am not sure about the stats of the LV. 1 Regigigas. It's most likely low stats since it is only LV. 1, but that still doesn't change the fact that it is a legendary. In some cases, the stats don't matter to classify the pokémon as a legendary, but most of the time, yes.

Rotom does have low stats so perhaps that is a reason to why it isn't a legendary. Let's not go forgetting the fact that Rotom plays a big role in the game to get the Rotom Formes [In Platinum] though. Seeing as the Rotom formes are obtainable only by the Secret Key, that makes it special. I think I'd most likely call Rotom a special pokémon. I would call it rare, except for the fact that you can breed it.

Perhaps if there was a deeper legend to Rotom, more exclusive ways of it becoming a legendary, and it being non-breedable, it would've made a difference and maybe then it would be classified as a legendary pokémon.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • One of the most famous legendary rules is that they cannot breed. As we know, this rule is broken in Generation IV. However, the rule still remains that only Phione can be obtainable by breeding. As rotom is obtainable by breeding, it is not a legendary.
    Oh, and so is Spiritomb. You have to fish with the Odd Keystone (Plat), and talk to 32 people underground for you to encounter it in the Hallowed Tower.
    Yeah, but the thing is that you can catch it more than once in one game. The Odd Keystone is found underground sometimes in Platinum. So it isn't really at all.

And finally, Latias and Latios are NOT legendaries! On the pokedex entry it says something like "Groups of these pokemon are found flying around the wordl" so there! It clearly states that they arn't legendaries!
    Where have you been? Latias and Latios have always been considered legendary Pokémon, and nothing at all in your statement disproved that.

Last edited:

TigerSwift

New Breeder
    Years
  • I wouldn't call it legendary, simply because it was far too easy to find and catch. In fact, most of the rare pokemon and legendaries in D/P/Pt are very easy to obtain compared to previous versions of the game!

Matt-O

The King's Shadow
    Years
  • Rotom is definately not legendary. Legends can't breed or we'd be overrun with Dialgas, but Rotom can breed. Legends have very high stats, matched only by Dragonite, T-Tar, Salamence, Metagross, and Garchomp among non legends. While Rotom forms have their purpose in battle, their stats are not quite that high. Also, in any given game, you can only CATCH one of any legendary, but I believe in Platinum you can catch 3 wild Rotom.

Fire Eagle

The Pokemon Legend
    Years
  • I must say that Rotom is an event Pokemon because you get to catch it by looking in the TV at the Old Chateau in the Eterna Forest.

torcoal

Ketsu!
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2013
    I just call those kinds,like rotom and phione, semi-legendaries because they aren't really legendaries,but sometimes they can get classified as one.

Years
  • rotom is one legendary..because it is only for game..
    it isnt very strong,but not all leggenderies are very strong..as celebi,shaymin :)

Back