• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Thoughts on the 3rd generation?

Do you like R/S/E?

• Yes, its good

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • Hell no they suck ****

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I am on the fence (middle)

Votes: 7 36.8%

• Total voters

Cham

Cool Trainer
Years
  • I'd like to know everyone's thoughts on this generation of Pokemon games. I have been a fan since the day Red and Blue came out, and I have loved every single game since, except for Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. I enjoy FR/LG, but R/S/E just never did it for me. I have over 300 hours in every single version I have played, but I couldn't stomach R/S/E after the Elite 4 for the life of me, and I don't even really know why. Perhaps I didn't like Hoenne that much? Or maybe the 3rd generation of monsters just didn't seem so great? What are your opinions?

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I played alot more Hours on my Leaf Green than Sapphire and Emerald combined.

In fact, when R/S were currently the only 3rd Gen games, I still actively played my Crystal.

Cham

Cool Trainer
    Years
  • I played alot more Hours on my Leaf Green than Sapphire and Emerald combined.

In fact, when R/S were currently the only 3rd Gen games, I still actively played my Crystal.

So I see I am not the only one hehe. I thought maybe it was a rare preference.

Dunsparce

The Land Snake Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    So I see I am not the only one hehe. I thought maybe it was a rare preference.

In fact, I just recently Purchased and Recieved a Japanese Crystal(With Box and Instructions), and am currently working on it.

2nd Gen has always been my favorite. Even if they Remake it, I'll probably still play the originals XD

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2012
    I liked the renovations to Red and Blue with the FireRed/LeafGreen. R/S/E aren't that fun because of the random level gap between the gyms and the E4.

IMO, G/S/C was the best. 16 badges? and a master trainer. awesome.

warudo.kun!

I see what you did there.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2013
    Johto/2nd generation is my favorite. Always my favorite.

I extremely dislike the 3rd Generation. Ugh. Their pokemon make me feel so bitter, for no reason.

warudo.kun!

I see what you did there.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2013
    Yeah, the 3rd generation is probably my least favorite of the four. I don't know, it just doesn't have the same feel as the first two.

Exactly. Besides, one of the things that makes me really attached to the Johto region is that it's so "exciting & adventurous".

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2015
    Gen III is my least favorite, but I don't dislike it.

I think Gen IV is a great improvement due to the different physical/special system, makes things much more interesting and competitive battles are less straightforward. E.G. a physical swampert with a water attack (such as aqua tail, etc.).

Hana~

Now available in surround~
    Years
  • I'm going to show the different side of the claim, where I think that the 3rd generation was the best one by miles, and the 2nd generation was the worst out of the four.

The sudden climate changes (and weather) were really nice, as well as the storyline and the Pokémon. The game also included several pieces of good music.

Hana, signing out~

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Totally agreeing with the one above.

Probably I'm biased because I joined Pokémon in 2005. Yeah. And my first game was Emerald. To me though, it's just awesome. There's no edge of competition in Gen II. :\ And DP came as my parents were out of it completely and I slowly went too. :\ But, yeah. III > II > IV > I.

Oh, and R/S/E had some of the best pieces in the series. Just listen to Route 118's theme! :O Actually, all the Route themes are awesome.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Myself...well, I came into the Pokemon series in the 2nd gen (well, in that it was the first game I actually *owned*), and that still remains my favourite out of them all - sure, ever since GSC came about, there have been major improvements on it from each new gen (as there were improvements on RBY in the form of GSC), but I feel that for its time, it was my favourite gen, and the 3rd doesn't quite measure up to it as much.

Doesn't mean I didn't like them a lot though - I've played a good amount of time on the 3rd gen games alone - stuff like abilities and double battles and the 'weather' storyline in RSE and so forth, as well as FR/LG as well which although had the somewhat 'meh' Sevii Islands (IMO), was still fun. And then there was Colo and XD too, which I also liked, despite some flaws those games had - Pokemon games with somewhat dark story-lines, teenage protagonists that blow up stuff and Miror B gain ticks from me.

But yet... when playing 3rd gen games, every so often I would turn back to GSC. It just had something (or somethings) that held a higher appeal to me than some 3rd gen games, and everything just seemed so...right about it when it came out. The real-time features for one was something I was disappointed not to see in 3rd gen games - they really did seem to enhance the experience of playing the game. Being able to go back to Kanto and beat another 8 gyms is another plus, the back-tracking was fun, the game wasn't too linear either... *recalls heading east rather than west after beating Monty the ghost-type Gym Leader*.

Music-wise as well - IMO, overall 2nd gen wins out music-wise. Each gen had their highlights (1st = Route 1, Lavander Town, 3rd - heck, just look at Miror B's themes, and 4th, the rival's theme, Champion's theme...), but GSC's music seemed the most enjoyable in the end, even if it was in beeps. They fitted the places/events well, and so forth...but that's enough rambling. Maybe it's nostalgia talking but I stick to my points.

For me, gen III was one of the weaker ones for me, but I did enjoy it, and when it comes down to it - each one to his/her own - everyone's going to have different preferences when it comes to games.

Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2015
    Totally agreeing with the one above.

Probably I'm biased because I joined Pokémon in 2005. Yeah. And my first game was Emerald. To me though, it's just awesome. There's no edge of competition in Gen II. :\ And DP came as my parents were out of it completely and I slowly went too. :\ But, yeah. III > II > IV > I.

Oh, and R/S/E had some of the best pieces in the series. Just listen to Route 118's theme! :O Actually, all the Route themes are awesome.
    I agree with the part about the music, definitely. Especially with the addition of the frontier brain battle theme in Emerald. =D

Pikachu™

Pika Pika!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 8, 2019
    Well, for me the 3rd gen was probably worst out of all them. I just didn't like the Pokemon designs as much they seemed a bit off and random at times. In my opinion, the 2nd generation was my favorite and I replayed them so many times.

Years
  • I LOVE HOENN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Here's SOME reasons why:
    1. R/S/E got me into Pokemon
    2. You could actually run in this game.
    3. The starters were the cutest.
    4. All my fav Pokemon are in Hoenn.
    5. Has the coolest looking legendaries.
    6. You rarely ever need to use HM moves, like Sinnoh or Kanto.
    7. Finally had a new evil organization, Aqua and Magma, but not too annoying, like Galactic.
    8. Has the coolest looking player (Boy and Girl)

Want any more reasons? XD

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    3rd Gen > 1st Gen > 2nd Gen > Adv Gen

1st Gen has the best Pokemon. 2nd Gen has the best storyline. Adv Gen has the best functionality. On the other hand, 1st Gen (obviously) has the worst functionality, 2nd Gen has the worst Pokemon, and Adv Gen has the worst storyline. 3rd Gen though has a great balance of Pokemon, storyline, and functionality.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Somehow, I feel different than anyone else. I first played the Pokémon games by first trying out Ruby, then Sapphire. It's just that I love some of the Pokémon in the region.

Out of all, I love Hoenn the best, if I exclude Orre, however.

Roxasabridged

Lucariowner
    Years
  • R/S/E isn't all that spectacular. The only Pokemon I thought were awesome was Plusle and Minun, the other pokemon and legendaries are kinda crappy. The music sucked too. The only music I liked was the rival theme, which when compared to music from the other Gen's, is crap.
    The rival, funnily enough sucked. By far the easiest to beat, and you can't even fight her fully evolved starter. Magma and Aqua were just stupid.

Pink_Marshmello

Super Nerd
    Years
  • I really think they could have made R/S/E better... The Pokemon weren't bad, but the storyline was just kinda... sucky. I hated how bland it seemed after playing G/S/C. (I mean, 16 badges! Come on!) And the Elite 4 were really easy to beat in this gen.

Back