• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2010
    I'm going to do a poison type challenge. Starting with Yellow and then Crystal-Emerald-Platinum.

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
  • I quit my previous Fire-type monotype. But, I am restarting and will continue with a Firetype Monotype challenge.

Name: Katie
    Versions: Blue, Gold, Ruby, Diamond
    Pokémon Used: Torkoal (Coal), Numel > Camerupt (Eruption), Ponyta > Rapidash (Fire Horse), Slugma > Magcargo (Lava), Houndour > Houndom (Dark), Magmar > Magmortar (Blast)
    Pokémon Used per version:
    Pokémon Blue - Magmar, Ponyta > Rapidash
    Pokémon Gold - Magmar, Ponyta > Rapidash, Slugma > Magcargo, Houndour > Houndoom
    Pokémon Ruby - Magmar, Ponyta > Rapidash, Slugma > Magcargo, Houndour > Houndoom, Torkoal, Numel > Camerupt
    Pokémon Diamond - Magmar > Magmortar, Ponyta > Rapidash, Slugma > Magcargo, Houndour > Houndoom, Torkoal, Numel > Camerupt

Player: Katie
    Type: Fire
    Badges: 1
    Generation: I (Red)

Just restarted my old Fire-type monotype. So far, it has been pretty easy. I want to only use Magmar and Rapidash but they aren't available till late, about 7th gym I think. But anyway, Charmander did pretty good. During the gym battle, I constantly used Ember and Charmander easily destroyed the others.

Team:

Flame / Charmander Lv.15 @ Nothing

- Scratch
    - Growl
    - Enber
    - Leer
    So far he's done really good. Moveset looks great right now, Leer + Scratch, or Ember + Growl work out great.

Last edited:

GrassGiant

Grass Fan
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2014
    Anyal Evolved into Skiploom
    Defeated Bugsy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDrNXbg_hGI
    Defeated Rival http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlbjLAnHmhw
    Dotax evolved into Weepinbell
    Caught PameS(Paras)
    Got HM01
    Caught Oddish but forgot to nicknamed her.(Nilaf)
    Caught Exeggcute(Ionam)
    Grinding my new team members

Team:
    Dotax F @
    Spr_2s_070.png

Lv 21
    -Vine Whip
    -Growth
    -Wrap
    -Poison Powder

Anyal F @
    Spr_2s_188.png

Lv 22
    -Leech Seed
    -Synthesis
    -Stun Spore
    -Headbutt

Pames F @
    Spr_2s_046.png

Lv 11
    -Scratch
    -Stun Spore
    -???
    -???

Nilaf F @
    Spr_2s_043.png

Lv 6
    -Absorb
    -???
    -???
    -???

Ionam M @
    Spr_2s_102.png

Lv 10
    -Barrage
    -Hypnosis
    -Reflect
    -???

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
  • Player: Katie
    Badges: 2

Got through Mt. Moon and Nugget Bridge lickety-split. Charmeleon works out really great around all types, including Rock and Water. Either way, I'm glad I decided to start out with Fire type, because they really are great.

Team:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Spr_1b_004.png
    Flame / Charmander Lv.29 @ Nothing

- Mega Punch
    - Bide
    - Ember
    - Leer
    Charmeleon has been a total beast during this whole experience so far. The way that he has been whipping through all types shows how beast he is. Leer + Mega Punch is a great combo, and STAB Ember works great. Bide is kind of useless, but better moves will present themselves.

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2019
    OK, might as well post my progress...

In 3 or 4 hours I've beaten my Rival and Brock, skipped Misty (temporarily), and ended at Vermillion City with nothing but a Lv. 30 Charmeleon and a bunch of TMs that I don't want.

Question: What should I teach to my Charmeleon, Kasai?

Options: Mega Punch, Dig, Seismic Toss.

Years
  • Fairly big update after a bit of a dry spell where i couldn't motivate myself to play.
    -headed to olivine avoiding as many trainers as i could
    -had to battle a few Gentlemen in the light house
    -got strength and taught it to Bayleef
    -surfed to Cianwood
    -let Donphan do the whole gym
    -Defense Curl + Rollout FTW AGAIN. No wonder Whitney spams that move
    -Got fly and taught it to Spearow
    -got the Secret Potion
    -Headed back to Olivine and delivered the meds
    -Quagsire handled Jasmine, little hickup with Sunny day, but it was no real problem
    -Caught a Chinchou for whirlpool and waterfall
    -Headed into the ice path and caught a Swinub
    -Went to train her
    -encountered Entei. Lobbed an Ultra Ball and prayed... Didn't work, oh well, didn't expect it to really.

Current Team
    Spr_2c_232.gif

Donphan
    Bag_Pok%C3%A9_Ball_Sprite.png
    (Lvl 34)
    -Headbutt
    -Rollout
    -Defense Curl
    -Take Down
    Spr_2c_195.gif

Quagsire
    (Lvl 34)
    -Surf
    -Headbutt
    -Ice Punch
    -Dig
    Spr_2c_220.gif

Swinub
    Bag_Ultra_Ball_Sprite.png
    (Lvl 25)
    -Icy Wind
    -Tackle
    -Powder Snow
    -Endure

HM Slaves
    Spr_2c_153.gif

Bayleef

-Cut
    -Strength
    -Flash
    -Rock Smash
    Spr_2c_021.gif

Spearow

-Fly
    Spr_2c_170.gif

Chinchou
    Bag_Lure_Ball_Sprite.png

-Whirlpool
    -Waterfall

I'm finding this stage harder to get into than the first generation. I'm excited to get to Ruby though.

Telarus

Buggin' Out
    Years
  • OK, might as well post my progress...

In 3 or 4 hours I've beaten my Rival and Brock, skipped Misty (temporarily), and ended at Vermillion City with nothing but a Lv. 30 Charmeleon and a bunch of TMs that I don't want.

Question: What should I teach to my Charmeleon, Kasai?

Options: Mega Punch, Dig, Seismic Toss.

Dig and seismic toss are probably both good options. Dig'll be good for Surge.

Nathanyiel

It seems you lost the game...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2012
    Alright, I'm done with setup (getting dratini on red) and have started! Also, I'm going Blue>Silver>Ruby>Diamond
    -Chose Bulbasaur, idk why
    -oak's parcel, blah blah blah
    -traded dratini over
    -got through viridian forest, did some grinding
    -pwned rival on route 22
    -took on Brock. Failed miserably T.T (wrap sucks against rock types)
    -more grinding in viridian
    -dratini learned thunder wave, which would be great if I could use it on Brock
    -challenged Brock again, and won with 0 PP to spare, ending with a critical hit!

Team
    rbspr147.png
    lv. 15
    --Wrap
    --Leer
    --Thunder Wave
    --Bide (Its not like I need to be picky with tm's as this is my only pokemon the whole time...

Moving on to Mt. Moon!
    UPDATE:
    -Went into Mt. Moon
    -found Water Gun TM, replaced bide for it (I now can actually fight geodudes!!)
    -destroyed all the trainers, as is my custom
    -Dratini did not learn Agility.
    -defeated super nerd, chose Dome fossil, though it will never be revived
    -moved on to Cerulean City!
    - beat Misty (Wrap FTW!!)
    -swapped Water Gun for newly acquired Bubblebeam TM
    -kicked my rival's ass
    -That's all, folks!

Team:
    rbspr147.png
    lv. 25
    -Wrap
    -Leer
    -Thunder Wave
    -Bubblebeam

BIG UPDATE:
    I did a lot in a short period of time, so I'm going to condense it a LOT:
    -Beat Nugget Bridge
    -Fought my way to Bill's house
    -Saved Bill & got SS Ticket
    -Beat the Rocket to get the Dig TM (unfortunately useless)
    -Battled down to Vermilion City
    -Beat all the trainers east of the city
    -DRATINI EVOLVED and learned slam
    -Realized how overleveled I am from having only Dragonair and fighting all the trainers, then didn't care
    -Beat all the trainers on SS Anne
    -Replaced Dragonair's slam with Body slam for the paralysis, though it kills everything in one hit anyways
    -Sent my Rival away sobbing again.
    -Got the Cut HM and pulled out my Lv 6 Bulbasaur as an HM slave for it
    -solved Lt. Surge's gym puzzle
    -Beat Lt. Surge with 3 body slams, then taught Dragonair thunderbolt

Team
    rbspr148.png
    Lv. 34
    -Wrap
    -Body Slam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Bubblebeam

Last edited:

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    Badges: 3

Kept going on in my quest to defeat the monotype Fire challenge. It has been totally easy so far. Flame, before Surge, already evolved to a Charizard during a battle on the SS Anne. He has been pounding through everything in it's way. I'm really glad I chose fire type.

Team:

Flame / Charizard Lv.38 @ Nothing

- Body Slam
    - Dig
    - Ember
    - Slash
    He is totally destroying everything in his way so far. Charizard + Rapidash is going to toally crush everything. I cannot wait until Blaine. But either way, Charizard has great moves, and Body Slam / Slash are really powerful even without STAB.

Badges: 4

Continued to pound through my fire monotype challenge. Got through Rock Tunnel easily, battled almost everybody that I could've, and got all TM's I need. Beat Erika and all of her sidekicks with 1 move.

Team:

Flame / Charizard Lv.46 @ Nothing

- Body Slam
    - Dig
    - Flamethrower
    - Slash
    Charmander > Charmeleon > Charizard has as amazing movepool. Body Slam & Slash take out most everything, but Dig takes out Rock, Fire, and Electric types, while Flamethrower, which is a ton better than Ember, rips through Grass types.

Badges: 5

Easily rushed through the remaining things I needed to do. Up next is Sabrina. By the way, I forgot that Magmar was only in Blue, so instead of E4 vs. Charizard, Rapidash, and Magmar, it's going to be E4 vs. Charizard and Rapidash... crap.

Team:

Flame / Charizard Lv.56 @ Nothing

- Body Slam
    - Dig
    - Flamethrower
    - Submission

I only have one word to say for this guy - unstoppable. I don't think he's fainted since the battle against Misty! His movepool is great. Submission is going to be replaced by Toxic, but so far it's done fine. Up next Blaine, and some mega-training on Rapidash!

Badges: 6

Continued pounding through, creamed my rival. Creamed Giovanni with Flamethrower and Earthquake. Beat Fighting Dojo with ease, but didn't take my reward. Got to Sabrina and crushed her. Up next, Blaine!

Team:

Flame / Charizard Lv.61 @ Nothing

- Skull Bash
    - Earthquake
    - Flamethrower
    - Toxic

Looks like this is going to be the final moveset. It looks great though. Flamethrower and Earthquake totally crush, and Skull Bash is kind of lame but gets the job done. I might replace it with Fly. Toxic is great as well. Charizard crushes!

Last edited:

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    Badges: 7

Continued my quest to destroy Fire Monotype for good. I got to Cinnabar and caught Ponyta at Lv.34. 0.o He is really hard to train. But either way, I might not use him at all. He has been great so far, but is not even close to the likes of Charizard. Well, I beat Blaine easily.

Team:

- Skull Bash
    - Earthquake
    - Flamethrower
    - Toxic

Haven't raised him at all since Koga, because of my main focus on Ponyta > Rapidash. He should have no trouble with E4 Lorelei, but the others might present a problem. We'll see.

Fire Horse / Rapidash Lv.46 @ Nothing
    - Ember
    - Horn Drill
    - Stomp
    - Take Down

His movepool for now isn't terrible, but Ember should be replaced by Fire Blast. Horn Drillf is great for hard Pokemon, Stomp is great and Take Down should be replaced eventually. I don't know if I should use him or not.

Badges: 8

I flew right to Viridian City to battle the gym imediately. What surprised me was how Rapidash did great! During the gym battle, Fire Blast OHKO'd Nidoqueen, Nidoking, and Dugtrio, and Horn Drill smashed Rhyhorn and Rhydon on their first shot! I'm keeping him.

Team:

- Skull Bash
    - Earthquake
    - Flamethrower
    - Toxic

Haven't raised him at all since Koga, because of my main focus on Ponyta > Rapidash. He should have no trouble with E4 Lorelei, but the others might present a problem. We'll see.

Fire Horse / Rapidash Lv.49 @ Nothing
    - Fire Blast
    - Horn Drill
    - Stomp
    - Take Down

Movepool is OK. I really love Fire Blast and Horn Drill, they are great moves. Stomp and Take Down, not so much, but I totally have to keep him. He's great. Off to Elite Four!

Badges: 8

Went through Victory Road to the Indigo Plataeu. Ran into Moltrse - and ran away - stupidly. Either way, I got to the Elite 4. I bought 10 Full Restores and 10 Revives. Went through easily to Agatha - until I had a problem with PP. I had to use Flamethrower to take down Aerodactyl and Dragonite, but it worked, and I had good Pokemon going in to Gary. Skull Bash and Flamethrower got rid of the whole team, but I had to use the Revive Fodder with Toxic by Charizard to take out Blastoise for the win!

Team:

Flame / Charizard Lv.68 @ Nothing
    - Skull Bash
    - Earthquake
    - Flamethrower
    - Toxic

He did TOTALLY great during the whole Elite Four. Flamethrower and Earthquake played a big role at the start, Skull Bash beat a lot of Gary's Pokemon, and Toxic basically won the whole battle.

Fire Horse / Rapidash Lv.56 @ Nothing
    - Fire Blast
    - Horn Drill
    - Stomp
    - Take Down

Did surprisingly well during Elite Four. Fire Blast and Horn Drill have 5PP, which is very hard to handle. After Agatha was gone, Stomp and Take Down had to do the rest. He didn't do great, but he got the job done.

Last edited:

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    Instead of working at this challenge, I spent the last two days playing Zelda games instead. Or, rather, I spent one day being somewhat frustrated because I lost a lot of save data, and I spent the other day catching up.

Oh yeah, and my computer got a virus, so that was in my mind. Because playing The Phantom Hourglass and scanning computers go hand in hand. Totally.

---

Fire Monotype Challenge: Part 48 - This Is Not A Sneaking Mission, The Use of Stealth is Not Required

Trainer Name: Seb
    Badges: 7
    Generation: III (on Emerald)

Log
    :

• Team Aqua stole the submarine! Oh no! What ever shall we do?
    • Let's invade another hideout, Pokemon style! Instead of being all stealthy, we'll go around beating all the grunts and stirring up some trouble.
    • They got away with the submarine! Oh no!
    • I hate how swimmers never have much money to give to you when you defeat them. That's the only real reason why I hate water routes. At least the Surfing is faster than in Pearl.
    • Arrived in Mossdeep. Apparently, Steven lives on this island. Who knew?
    • Now, I've never played through Emerald before, so going inside the gym was a bit of a shock. I didn't find the old gym to be that hard of a challenge, but this one made me scream in frustration.
    • Promised myself I wouldn't let Aegis or Zara faint in the battle at any point. I figured that it would make life a little harder, since I have to keep spamming potions instead of sacrificing someone for a turn of attacking.
    Battle Against Those Freaking Twins Tate and Liza:

• Unfortunately. These two deserve their own section. Why was this fight so annoying? I had no trouble with them in Sapphire when I was, what, 8 years old? So, I figured that Claydol could use Earthquake and destroy my team, so I used Return on it and, luckily, it Critical'd. Unfortunately, Xatu used Calm Mind, and I'm not sure why I didn't see that coming. I'm expecting Psychic for obvious reasons, so I'm getting a bit worried for Zara. Luckily, Xatu only used Psychic on Aegis. Unfortunately, again, practically any attack so far is about a 2HKO or barely above it. After Solrock came in, it used Sunny Day. I was going to use Flamethrower on it, but a Psychic attack hit Zara and it Critical'd. Damn you, Twins!
    • Second time, I went for Xatu first, since those Calm Minded Psychics were annoying last time. Earthquake isn't that bad, actually. And they're still using Psychic on Torkoal. This battle was a bit less eventful. Then again, I didn't record a lot of the past fight either, so it skips around a lot and it's kind of confusing. Sorry about that. It's not like anything interesting was missed. Just a bit of Potion spamming and annoying Psychics. Anyway, this fight ended with a Critical'd Flamethrower on Solrock.
    Team:
    I forgot/don't care. Zara is a Blaziken. Aegis is a Torkoal. They are in the 50s. Nothing else to it.

I think I played too much Zelda. It's giving me a headache.

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    Badges: 9
    Generation: 2 (Gold)

Continued my quest of defeating the fire monotype, this time beginning Pokemon Gold, and just defeated Falkner. This should be easy. Cyndaquil > Quiliva > Typhlosion should be really great.

Team:
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/File:Spr_1b_006.png
    Volcano / Cyndaquil m Lv.13 @ Nothing
    - Tackle
    - Leer
    - Smokescreen
    - Ember

Not much to say yet. Just started, but either way, Cyndaquil has done great, and hasn't fainted the whole game yet.

Nathanyiel

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2012
    UPDATE:
    I hope the E4 won't be as easy as the game is right now, I'm killing everything in one hit!
    -After defeating Surge, I went back to Cerulean City
    -I fought my way through to Rock tunnel, defeating all the trainers as I went along.
    -Got lost in Rock Tunnel many, many times, then finally got out. I don't have flash.
    -Continued down to Lavender town.
    -I entered the Pokemon tower, and guess who's there?
    -owned my rival
    -beat all the psychics in the tower for exp I didn't need
    -Dragonair learned Dragon rage. I got rid of wrap as it has outlived its usefulness
    -beat the trainers on the way to Celedon
    -Got to Celedon City.
    -Went to the top of the shopping building, and got the Ice Beam TM
    -After a long, hard decision I got rid of my new move, Dragon rage for Ice Beam
    -With Ice Beam in hand, I easily defeated Erika.
    -Currently resenting having to move on to the Rocket Hideout...

Team
    rbspr148.png
    Lv. 46
    -Ice Beam
    -Body Slam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Bubblebeam

Last edited:

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    Badges: 10

Continued my quest to destroy the fire monotype. So far, it's gone pretty good, Volcano hasn't fainted yet (I think), and no other fire-types have presented any option. He's done fine, though.

Team:
    gbg156.gif

Volcano / Quilava m Lv.23 @ Nothing
    - Swift

- Quick Attack
    - Mud-Slap
    - Ember

Movepool is looking great so far. A more powerful fire-type move would be better, but for now Ember is good.

Years
  • I have to give up. My stupid Chihuahua chewed up my Pokemon Red cartridge. DUMB DOG! I'll start in Pokemon Yellow with electric this time! EDIT: Now I'm mad! I post this and go to get yellow and guess what? The chihuahua has it too! My goodness! I'll just get a Blue ROM with Water!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2019
    Progress:

OK, this is the second time I've tried to post this... PC won't let me use images of Pokemon yet.

Kasai has gone from being an over-leveled Charmeleon to a nigh-invincible Charizard.
    My only regret is not fighting as many Trainers as I should have. I skipped all of the skip-able ones in Rock Tunnel.

I caught Fuego, my Growlithe (Spanish for Fire. My friend's idea), and have been leveling him up. Also got Eevee and Evolved him, but haven't done anything with him yet.

Team:

Kasai the Charizard - Level 39

Ember
    Slash
    Dig
    Seismic Toss

Kasai is used in almost all of my battles now. Even Water-types fear him now!

Fuego the Growlithe - Lv. 24

Bite
    Ember
    Roar
    Leer

I've been training Fuego ever since I caught him. Don't know what to teach him yet. Any suggestions?

Fuoco the Flareon - Lv. 25

Tackle
    Sand-Attack
    ---
    ---

I haven't done anything with Fuoco since evolving him. What should I teach him?

Next: The Game Corner Underground

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    Badges: 12

Continued all the way through Whitney to Morty. Goldenrod was a breeze, Whitney just took a few Embers and Swifts. Morty was easy, I beat him with only 5 Embers. I lost to him one time, because of lucky Gengar moves... what level does Quilava evolve?

Team:
    gbg156.gif

Volcano / Quilava m Lv.34 @ Nothing
    - Swift

- Quick Attack
    - Mud-Slap
    - Ember

He needs a stronger Fire attack. I rejected Flame Wheel because I don't like it. He hasn't learned moves for quite a while now. What level does he evolve?

Nathanyiel

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2012
    Update:
    I'm still super overleveled so matter how far I progress :P
    -Finally went to the rocket hideout
    -beat all the rockets. The movement pads are annoyingly slow though >.<
    -Giovanni was a joke
    -got the sliph scope left by the big G
    -remembered to get fly, and taught it to a newly-caught spearow HM slave
    -returned to the pokemon tower in lavender
    -saved Mr. Fuji and got the Pokeflute
    -battled both snorlaxes for exp
    -went down cycling road, beating all trainers
    -Unbelievable as it may seem, Dragonair EVOLVED!!
    -arrived in fuscia!
    -beat trainers on the other route to fuscia for exp I hope i'm going to need eventually
    -got all the items in the safari zone including Surf HM, caught a rhydon as a strength HM slave
    -Taught Dragonite surf as a replacement for bubblebeam
    -gave the warden his teeth & got Strength HM
    -battled Koga. Surprisingly, his Weezing and Muk didn't go down after one body slam. Points for Koga!!
    -Currently not looking forward to sliph co, my first gen. nightmare, though with Dragonite it shouldn't be too hard :P

Team
    rbspr149.png
    Lv. 58
    -Ice Beam
    -Body Slam
    -Thunderbolt
    -Surf
    Should I teach him double-edge or keep body slam??

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back