• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Underrated Unova Pokemon?

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
    I would say an underrated pokemon in Unova would have to be Carracosta, with access to shell smash, and being able to have rock slide/aqua jet and getting STAB with both. It's a very good poke that I've seen some people use and I think it's underrated because of it's 4x to Grass. Another one would be Eelektross, I don't know if he's underrated but I love using it and don't see them around too much.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ...beware, totally from a competitive POV and not entirely in-game since I haven't used them there. XD

Another Pokemon that comes to my mind is Braviary. First time I saw one, I was like , "OMG! This is gonna be OU!"

God yes. I think if it got a better speed stat it would definitely be OU, but yeah by the design it looks strong, but nope, looks deceive!

Definitely agree on Scolipede, tbh it was one of the only gen V Pokémon I really really liked at first.

And well, PLENTY of people use Scrafty, competitively at least. Scrafty really isn't underrated, I see lots of people use it and it kicks ass.

Yeah, currently 41st in usage. It isn't ideal, but it's still ahead of a few other OU Pokemon.

| 41 | Scrafty | 17677 | 4.583% | 0.74±1.08 | 4.77±4.04 |

I really think it's due to Tyranitar being used so often that they don't really need another dark type (notice how Hydreigon is lower down too?), whereas for fighting they have the common Terrakion at #13. Scrafty is definitely good, but yeah not completely down and out, nor underrated. :x

I think you should take a look at Sawsbuck.

It changes with the seasons but so few people use it.

Underrated Unova Pokemon?

It's a great physical attacker especially with a Return/Horn Leech/Megahorn combo.

Sawsbuck may have 6 weaknesses but a great Attack stat to have those Physical attacks hit hard! Plus it can learn Jump Kick.

I use a Sawsbuck in Black and she did well against the Driftveil Gym. I still cherish my Sawsbuck a lot.

Despite being RU, it still is used occasionally in OU (aka sun teams due to chlorophyll, and it can also fit into ice too apparently), but tbh with speed that isn't that bad and the attack stat being pretty good (plus access to Horn Leech), actually, it outspeeds most of OU which isn't that bad. Sooo yeah, I'd say it's underrated since the few times I've faced it I've had issues.

Oh and agreed on Carracosta.

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
    I think you should take a look at Sawsbuck.

It changes with the seasons but so few people use it.

It's a great physical attacker especially with a Return/Horn Leech/Megahorn combo.

Sawsbuck may have 6 weaknesses but a great Attack stat to have those Physical attacks hit hard! Plus it can learn Jump Kick.

I use a Sawsbuck in Black and she did well against the Driftveil Gym. I still cherish my Sawsbuck a lot.

I have to agree here. A Sword Danced Horn Leech is a pretty awesome move. especially when it used by a Summer Sawsbuck. Too bad it's RU. I think it would blend in perfectly in the OU tier because of the mushrooming number of Sun teams.

Years
    Mandibuzz. It's overlooked but it has a niche in taking on certain special attackers that use the Fighting, Psychic, Ghost, Dark type attacks.

This is my post for the 23rd November, Kaori.

Spiffee

Man Overboard
    Years
    How about Escavalier & Accelgor?

They're pretty much my favorite B/W Pokemon but I never hear anything about them!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I feel like Zebstrika is underrated, purely because I never hear anyone talking about it :P I think it's a brilliant Pokémon. It's fast and has a decent moveset.

DoctorFred

I am not amused. ಠ_ಠ
    Years
    Jellicent is often forgot about. People are always like, "wah, Unova got no good water pokemon." Meanwhile, Jellicent has insane Sp. Def and HP, Recover and Water Spout to make good use of the HP stat, great typing, and 2 GREAT abilities . I even saw on Serebii's Best ghost-type poll Jellicent was last, WTH!? It can counter Speed Boost Blaziken, it does great on both Trick room teams and Rain Dance teams and Hail Teams, Block Rapid Spin, i mean the list goes on forever.

But most importantly, it has an awesome mustache. So, let's give a hand for Jellicent.

Years
    I think Vullaby is highly underrated. So is Elgyum. I like both.

I feel so sorry for Elgyem, gets heavily neglected cos B/W players often want Reuniclus or Gothitelle as their main Psychic attacker.

I mean, my avatar means I have some Elgyem love.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Jellicent is often forgot about. People are always like, "wah, Unova got no good water pokemon." Meanwhile, Jellicent has insane Sp. Def and HP, Recover and Water Spout to make good use of the HP stat, great typing, and 2 GREAT abilities . I even saw on Serebii's Best ghost-type poll Jellicent was last, WTH!? It can counter Speed Boost Blaziken, it does great on both Trick room teams and Rain Dance teams and Hail Teams, Block Rapid Spin, i mean the list goes on forever.

But most importantly, it has an awesome mustache. So, let's give a hand for Jellicent.

I think that this is because in-game, having a low Speed just automatically rules a Pokemon out of being in a team pretty much. Most people just want power and speed and that's it, they're not looking for a gimmick or something like Trick Room or stall. Therefore they just rule out Jellicent because it's too slow and not powerful enough to get through in-game easily with. Competitively though, people take note of it and do use it, I mean it's what, in the 20s as far as ranked usage?

AlphaMightyena

A Mightyena Fapper
    Years
    It's Jellicent for me.

I think that this is because in-game, having a low Speed just automatically rules a Pokemon out of being in a team pretty much. Most people just want power and speed and that's it, they're not looking for a gimmick or something like Trick Room or stall. Therefore they just rule out Jellicent because it's too slow and not powerful enough to get through in-game easily with. Competitively though, people take note of it and do use it, I mean it's what, in the 20s as far as ranked usage?

Mostly this right here on why some people don't like Jellicent. As for me, I really don't care for speed. To me, it's a useless stat.

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned this guy...

It's cute but most people think it sucks compared to Gothitelle and especially Reuniclus.

I still have room in my heart for Elgyem, it's cute and it's great to use if you get a Special Attack-raising nature.

Even my Pokemon walkthrough idol, Marriland uses one!

I agree, and it helped me beat the Elite 4...especially the fighting pokemon. My opinion for the underrated pokemon would be set on Purrloin and Liepard. I kill them pretty easy, and I really never payed attention to them until my sister started killing me with her Liepard.

Palcks

some nights.
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Nov 30, 2012
    How about Maractus, I really like that Pokémon!

I definitely agree here, too. It wasn't the most appealing to start, and not many trainers in the region have it either, so I think it gets forgotten a lot. ): I looooove it, I just haven't had the chance to use it on a team yet. ><

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years

yeah, it is really common to see I ran one for a while, and I liked Jellicent anyway. Another underrated pokemon is Darmanitan, honestly there are some better fire types, but I really like him for some power. I rarely see them around, but when you do they actually do quite a bit with the proper support.

Back