• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

UNPOPULAR OPINIONS

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2019
    honey I wasn't saying that
    I was making a point of how there's often a high amount of misogyny from people in the camps I was exaggerating for comedic effect. If I were to make a point with no comedic intent whatsoever, I would say that many people tend to glorify the oh-so-deep white man on a guitar while denigrating everything and anything pop girls have to offer, because they see everything they produce as vapid or insipid while lifting up the often quite average guitar guy. If I were to make a point without any personal input whatsoever, I would state that the heavy metal community is known for the high levels of misogyny from many in the community.
    I wasn't saying that everyone in these camps are explicitly sexist, but simply stating that there are higher percentages of members who are sexist/misogynistic compared to other music communities.

Well, people don't hate pop music because the singers are female. That being said, plenty of pop music is pretty damned sexist. Remember the blurred lines fiasco? What about pop musicians treating themselves as sex objects, and proudly proclaiming themselves "bad bitches?" Look at how many teenagers today go around flaunting how they are "bitches" and not having any real goals in life other than being skimpy girls that go around sleeping with guys, risking teen pregnancy and literally wrecking their own lives because celebrities say "it's cool". There was a point where mainstream rock was all about that, but it's much more subtle and much less prominent then what you see in today's top 40 music. Just look at that train wreck Miley Cyrus and her music videos.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Well, people don't hate pop music because the singers are female. That being said, plenty of pop music is pretty damned sexist. Remember the blurred lines fiasco? What about pop musicians treating themselves as sex objects, and proudly proclaiming themselves "bad bitches?" Look at how many teenagers today go around flaunting how they are "bitches" and not having any real goals in life other than being skimpy girls that go around sleeping with guys, risking teen pregnancy and literally wrecking their own lives because celebrities say "it's cool". There was a point where mainstream rock was all about that, but it's much more subtle and much less prominent then what you see in today's top 40 music. Just look at that train wreck Miley Cyrus and her music videos.

While I love the attack on female sexuality, I think this is a discussion for another thread.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • why does everything have to be a sexist issue

unpopular opinion (although most people probably won't have an opinion on this one at all): OK Computer is nowhere near Radiohead's best album.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2019
    While I love the attack on female sexuality, I think this is a discussion for another thread.

Attack on the female sexuality? I'm not putting that exclusively to females, people should have a sense of modesty whether male or female. Fuck males that go around and treat females as good for nothing objects of sex. What the top 40 musicians are doing are giving perverted, abusive men what they want, making girls into sex slaves. Life isn't about going around and impregnating everyone you see.

Anyways, someone should make a new topic about this if they'd like.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Music and film-related stuff.

• Birdman and Whiplash are good films but they aren't as incredible as people tout them to be.
    • Gone Girl is incredibly underrated.
    • Captain America: The Winter Soldier > Guardians of the Galaxy any day.
    • Paul Thomas Anderson's best film thus far ain't There Will Be Blood or The Master. It's Boogie Nights.
    • The common notion is that Aphex Twin's Syro was the best electronic album of 2014. It really, really wasn't.
    • There were a lot of emo LPs that were lauded last year but personally, 2014 was a barebones year for emo I thought. Some of my favorite emo acts like Joyce Manor and Empire! Empire! put out really disappointing follow-ups to their previous albums, not to mention many of the debut LPs from newer acts. Only Two Knights, The Hotelier and Human Hands came close to scratching my genre itch.

gonna comment on these opinions (good opinions btw).

1) I love Birdman but could EASILY see why someone would hate it. Whiplash's climax got a lot of praise which confused me because I thought it was by far the worst part of the film and really hammy. but everything else was great, imo.
    2) Gone Girl is amazing. when people say it's just a lurid, pulpy thriller I think they're totally missing the point. it's fucking scathing. it goes off-the-rails but it doesn't do it for its own sake. so basically, yeah, it's underrated. probably my favorite of Fincher's.
    3) I agree, Guardians could produce some excellent sequels but this'un was kind of exposition-y, and Winter Soldier is probably my favorite Marvel movie yet.
    4) I agree to an extent: it's not There Will Be Blood or The Master (which is easily his weakest, in my opinion -- it looks incredible and the acting is incredible but it's devoid of much substance), but Magnolia, man. that one's easily my favorite. once you get past the 650 layers of mawkish sentiment, of course, but I love that kind of thing Soooooooo. imo, Magnolia > There Will Be Blood > Boogie Nights > Inherent Vice > Punch-Drunk Love > The Master. (I haven't seen Sydney)
    5) agreed hard. it's GOOD but it's boilerplate Aphex stuff. give me any of his studio albums over it any day. or Windowlicker. or Come to Daddy.
    6) I was with you about Never Hungover Again until very recently -- now it's coming close to my favorite Joyce Manor album (and their s/t is probably in my top 10 ever). I thought the new one was really far too poppy and lost a lot of edge, but man, check out Falling in Love Again or Catalina Fight Song or Schley (which I really hated in particular the first time around, I thought the way he yelled SCHLEEYYWYEEYYe was super cheesy but now FUCK I love it). I'm not sure what happened to me but man. I love that album now. E!E!'s was super boring, I agree. and The Hotelier was probably my AOTY of last year, seeing them live was a REligious Experience.

and all the people dissing Taylor Swift, I don't really have a comeback to yo shit, you either love her kind of thing or you don't (and Red is her best album yet probably).

also to comment on the ages old MUSIC IS SUBJECTIVE thing. I agree, but discussing music would not be nearly as rewarding if the second anyone disagreed, they were just like O IT'S SUBJECTIVE ANYWAY YOLO LET'S NOT CONTINUE THIS. and I think there is SOME level of objectivity in art -- you can't argue that, say, The Room is a better movie than, iunno, uh, The Matrix (stupid example but idk). but I mean, it's not impossible for someone to prefer The Room to The Matrix. I don't know what I'm saying.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • @ Syro discussion I feel like, while he is genuinely very good, Aphex Twin's name is used as a buzzword for people who don't really know electronic music all that well. Definitely Syro was pretty poor - it felt more like a technical exercise in "look at my oddly arranged bleeps" than anything actually that good. There were very few moments that were actually special in it. It was technically impressive but... that's nothing new for Aphex Twin. I didn't find it very entertaining beyond the initial "oh that's cool" and it kinda feels like a Random Access Memories v2 to me (in that it's not very special but still being hailed as amazing by people who don't really know what else is out there - although I personally feel like RAM was 10x worse than Syro), although that in itself is a ~controversial opinion~.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • The Big Bang Theory is HILARIOUS.

Reading through this thread that seems to be an unpopular opinion.

Also I stand by Miss Congeniality 2 being a great film.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    I'll just say it, I thought Superman Returns was a very good movie. And yes, I thought it was better than Man of Steel. I don't think Man of Steel was bad, I just thought Superman Returns was better. Man of Steel's trailer was one of the best I've ever scene, and I guess it got hyped so much I was expecting something mindblowing... not that. It was ok, maybe good. But that's about it.

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    here's an attack on disney:
    frozen got way too much hype and tangled is wayy better.
    the songs from frozen are much better sung in spanish.
    the commercials for maleficent were seriously misleading.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • the songs from frozen are much better sung in spanish.
    i HOPE this isn't unpopular because it's really true. i didn't care for the... mongolian? malaysian? renditions of the songs on the DVD, but the Spanish versions were tons better. and by versions I mean the one of Let it Go, which was a lot better than Demi's version. but then again, a lot of things are better than Demi...

Reactions: dad

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • Most american/canadian pop punk bands are absolute crap. Don't hate me for this lol... just hear me out. I know back then I was one of them, but I grew out of that phase kind of late. A majority of the fans are people who think that the music by these bands has saved their lives. It can get rather annoying because it's just music. I guess if it's something they relate well to then... yeah. I'm at the stage where I could careless about whether it saves lives or not. I just don't really give a fuck about them anymore. *shrug* In all honesty, the only thing I care about is J-metal and PelleK...

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I don't care for the walking dead. As Alli said earlier in the thread I don't care for the whole zombie/undead craze as a whole.

Idk how popular this is, but I can't stand the show The Voice or really any kind of music show like that. Never got into American Idol either.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I think pretty much all "indie rock" is incredibly boring; even the bands that get loads of acclaim like Arcade Fire, The Strokes Modest Mouse, Wilco, Weezer etc. I don't like any of them, just doesn't appeal to me at all.

I highly dislike David Bowie and think that people worship him far too much.

UNPOPULAR OPINIONS

UNPOPULAR OPINIONS

Last edited:

Spiff

love child
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jun 30, 2023
    > Country music is awesome
    >Breaking Bad was way overrated
    > Bob Dylan is a great singer
    > Calvin and Hobbes > Peanuts