• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is the meaning of life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fade101

I rawr youu!!
Years
  • Is it me or this thread is starting to sound like a sundays school... lol!
    To me, life is all about taking risks, enjoy god's creations and errrr pretty much about food... wooot... life is nothing without brownies, cookies and coke!!

« Extraho »

Cookies, anybody? :3
    Years
  • To me the meaning of life is to live, let live and enjoy life.

Forty three, you have to add one for elitism.

As for the meaning of life, there isn't one. Why must there be a reason behind anything, hm?
    Everything has a reason, just because you can't figure it out that doesn't mean there is no reason. I wouldn't kick my friend for no reason, would I? (Unless I am a xD). Also that would be a reason to kick him.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • but if you can't believe historical fact,

...What historical fact?

Regarding the concept of hope existing in the world, yes, there is, but it's not necessarily Jesus Christ. Hope is a state of mind, not an attainable abstract. To have hope, one must actually convince himself that there is a reason to have hope. Hope can be defined as anything, really -- the confidence of achieving one's own goals or the will to live, among other things (including, yes, faith). You can have hope and not be Christian, and possibly, having hope kept people together in historical times of tribulations. On the other hand, just having hope and never actually doing anything with it really doesn't work either. It's events that make history, not the abstract.

Regarding the idea that Christian philosophy is the meaning of life, for Christians, yes. Otherwise, well, roughly 1.8 billion Muslims and over 900 million Hindus can't be all wrong. (Really, when you look at it, Christians are outnumbered by the collection of the other religious entities in the world, and Catholics are only a percentage of Christians. To state that Christianity -- or any other faith, for that matter -- is the only religion automatically outcasts the majority of the rest of the world. That just doesn't seem right to me. It's not my place to say that many people are wrong. Especially since the pagans were here first.)

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2011
    ...What historical fact?
    Lol, I messaged him, pointing out that his belief weren't actually considered historical facts by the majority and linked Wikipedia to show some evidence.. He didn't even read my response, just sent the most ridiculous, arrogant and ignorant response imagineable.

It's in my sig. I thought it was pretty good XD

Michii

as in Mishy
    Years
  • Simply to live and to die. Of course, I really have a long, detailed answer, but seeing as society here today tends to ignore the lesser mortal, I've decided to keep my answer short and sweet.

Years
  • ...What historical fact?

Regarding the concept of hope existing in the world, yes, there is, but it's not necessarily Jesus Christ. Hope is a state of mind, not an attainable abstract. To have hope, one must actually convince himself that there is a reason to have hope. Hope can be defined as anything, really -- the confidence of achieving one's own goals or the will to live, among other things (including, yes, faith). You can have hope and not be Christian, and possibly, having hope kept people together in historical times of tribulations. On the other hand, just having hope and never actually doing anything with it really doesn't work either. It's events that make history, not the abstract.

Regarding the idea that Christian philosophy is the meaning of life, for Christians, yes. Otherwise, well, roughly 1.8 billion Muslims and over 900 million Hindus can't be all wrong. (Really, when you look at it, Christians are outnumbered by the collection of the other religious entities in the world, and Catholics are only a percentage of Christians. To state that Christianity -- or any other faith, for that matter -- is the only religion automatically outcasts the majority of the rest of the world. That just doesn't seem right to me. It's not my place to say that many people are wrong. Especially since the pagans were here first.)

Actually, yes, they can. The only reason we Christians are outnumbered is human stupidity. *looks at Jaimes* Christianity revolves around the fact that Christ died on the cross, came back three days later, and was seen by hundreds of people. If you can disprove that, we've got nothing, and we are to be pitied above all.

But it can't be disproven. The government back then couldn't produce the body; it was being used at the time. And it certainly can't be disproven now. Jaimes is really just your stereotypical human. I can declare several insults, and all would befit him well, but I already have him blocked, so there's really no point. If he wants to poke fun at us now, fine, because I know for a fact we'll have the last laugh.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Actually, yes, they can. The only reason we Christians are outnumbered is human stupidity.

...So, basically, billions upon billions of people are automatically idiotic because they don't share your spiritual beliefs?

Personally, I believe that a lot of the Bible and Biblical accounts should be taken with a grain of salt. There's no actual evidence that disproves that it happened, yes, but there's none that proves that it did happen. Keep in mind that when it comes to religion, witness testimony back then tended to say a lot of different things. For example, one of the stories of the Greek god Dionysus claims that the god actually appeared before an entire city and, when he was denied as being a god, triggered a frenzy among the women of the city that eventually led to a mass murder. There's no actual evidence that it happened, but there's nothing to say that women weren't actually influenced by a mysterious young man into the brutal killing of at least one Greek. Likewise, the stories of the trials of Hercules is repeated numerous times throughout Greek literature and art, implying that there was actual belief and witnesses to his pursuits.

What I'm saying is that just because the New Testament said something happened doesn't mean it literally happened. After all, we're talking about the Bible here. Its predecessor and basis stated that the world was created in six days and that we're all the result of massive in-breeding and holy incest. (If it didn't happen with Adam and Eve's children, it happened with Noah and his family.)

Not to mention the government back then couldn't provide much of anything anyway. Do you really think that Jesus Christ was the only body an ancient government ever lost? Heck, even contemporary governments sucked at keeping track of bodies. (To this day, European and American governments can't figure out what happened to Thomas Paine.)

However, I'd like to say that I respect you that you follow those beliefs with the conviction that you do and that I'm not out to convince you to change them. The reason why I'm bothering to reply now is because, frankly, you're basically calling me an idiot (and attempting to use information based on religious speculation to back it up), which I honestly don't feel comfortable with and would like an apology for. To put it simply, I was raised a Jew and am currently a Deist. Therefore, I have not, nor have I ever, believed in the Christian doctrine. But that's fine, and I won't say that you're absolutely wrong for believing what you do. What I am saying is that it's insulting that you are right now attempting to press your beliefs onto others -- even if you're not entirely conscious of it -- by essentially stating that everything else is simply the result of human stupidity. Judaism, Deism, and every other religious or philosophical mindset are all perfectly valid forms of faith (with their own bases in historical fact, if we follow the same brand of logic as you've just applied). If you wish to declare them otherwise, please do so on a board for Christianity, where you're less likely to insult a number of its members. Otherwise, if you do it here, while you think you're aiming your comments at one person, another person could feel hurt because you're essentially stating that the beliefs that they've built their entire lives on are completely moronic. It's like telling you that Jesus Christ never existed and backing it up with quotations from another holy book. You're not going to feel that wonderful after that, and neither do the people who believe in X religion.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    Unlimited NIGHTS, I suggest you change your tone immediately and go back to the topic. Really, you're only making yourself (and others), look foolish. Jax Malcom and Jaimes, if you wish to discuss this further with him, then do so via PM.

edit: lol, why did I take so long to type this up?

Last edited:

Sexycheese

Bye :)
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2009
    Actually, yes, they can. The only reason we Christians are outnumbered is human stupidity. *looks at Jaimes* .

no offence man but that is unfair! he don`t deserve that I mean I belive in God but I a`int gonna run around calling people arrogant (beeps) and saying millions of people are dumb. Cut it out please!

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Actually, yes, they can. The only reason we Christians are outnumbered is human stupidity. *looks at Jaimes* Christianity revolves around the fact that Christ died on the cross, came back three days later, and was seen by hundreds of people. If you can disprove that, we've got nothing, and we are to be pitied above all.

But it can't be disproven. The government back then couldn't produce the body; it was being used at the time. And it certainly can't be disproven now. Jaimes is really just your stereotypical human. I can declare several insults, and all would befit him well, but I already have him blocked, so there's really no point. If he wants to poke fun at us now, fine, because I know for a fact we'll have the last laugh.

I'm not sure I like this side to you unlimited. As it has already been said, the disbelief of something you feel strongly about does not account to stupidity. I admire people like you who can uphold and adhere to a way of life, i wish I had that discipline myself. But that quote was ignorant to say the least.

Also, I fail to see how the inability to disprove something also makes it reasonable fact. For want of a better example, it cannot be disproven that I wore red socks today, yet the lack of evidence against it does not constitute to it being an acceptable theory. Out of interest, which branch of Christianity would you catergorise yourself into?

LipstickTraces

I Am Nothing
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 17, 2011
    yeah agreeing to everyone else who said, there isnt a meaning to life as we know it. we make our own ;)

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Actually, yes, they can. The only reason we Christians are outnumbered is human stupidity.

Speaking as a fellow Christian, I think that you are making the rest of us look awfully arrogant. While it is quite Christian to believe that we are correct, it is quite unchristian to state that everyone else is wrong because of stupidity. Have you ever heard the story of the good Samaritan? We should be accepting of and kind to all other peoples and creeds. Do you think that Jesus really wants you to insult those who do not believe that he is the son of God? If you wish to convince others to be Christian, do it by following Christ's words and actions.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • In class when a student asked our teacher what the meaning of life was, he took off his shoes, put them adjacent to his ears, closed his eyes and moonwalked out of the room.

Needless to say, an answer was not given.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back