• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What year did u get into pokemon?

Doodle~Pichu

The Unusual Person
Years

I was 2 years old, I was a very bored child and was skilled at using a remote to get to the right channel pokemon was on. I never did really get what was going on at that age but all I knew was that pikachu was so darn adorable. I started getting what was going on at the age of 4.

DjKniteX

A trainer that is a musician
    Years
    • Seen Sep 13, 2023
    Hmm,I got into probably around 97-99, when R/B were out, and sometime before Yellow.

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
  • I got into it around 98 or so. It was when the anime and the cards became really popular, and to be really popular in first grade, you had to have the cards and be able to talk about the show.

I got into the games sometime in summer 1999, when I found Red, much to my parent's disappointment. Haven't watched the show for a whole episode since Johto, and haven't touched the cards in years. I do however still play the games compulsively, and made the discovery that roughly 80% of the guys in my senior class are closet Pokemon nerds.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • when it first came to the UK :P my auntie encouraged me a bit then I watched the first ep and I fell in love with pokemon XD 1997 or 98 not sure

Years
  • I got into it when the very first season came to America. Not sure the year that was, somewhere mid-to-late 90's, I'm sure. Fell out of it for the longest around the time Gen 2 came out and just got back into it heavily about half a year ago.

Why I like it.? It's a great hobby and it's sorta like having more pets. Don't know how to really explain it, just fun. Don't watch the show too often though. =P

Rei

Years
  • 4rd grade.... so 1997/8.
    We had a kid who moved from hawaii to our school who had japanese pokemon cards, games, toys. We all thought it was the ****. So when pokemon Red/Blue hit stores, pretty much our entire elementary was there lol.
    Strangely enough, him and i are the only two people who still play/watch pokemon that i know of. Everyone stopped collecting the cards once they got banned from school (yes they got banned from our school because of theft and fights)

Years
  • My older brother got me my first gaming system (GameBoy Color - translucent purple) and Pokemon Red in 99 for my birthday. Now, no matter how many other games I play, Pokemon will always have a special place in my heart, even though the anime has gotten suckish.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
  • i dont really remember, but ever since i was really little cuz i'm the youngest and all my siblings played it. i mostly remember playing the card game with them though

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
  • Most likely 1998-1999... Can't remember exactly. But I do remember a friend of mine stating there was a new show on the telly and then she cited the Team Rocket Motto, including the gestures. XD
    Little me thought something completely different when I heard her. (some theater show with a blue curtain with yellow stars as background)
    Not much later, though I can't remember when, I was playing a Pokémon Red Rom... and loved it. I also got my hands on a half translated Gold or Silver Rom... Where Totodile was Waninoko...but the majority of text was Japanese I think. God, that's far away...
    I got my first GameBoy(Color) at the age of (almost) 12, together with Silver.
    And I was angry when Totodile used Rage, since I couldn't pick another attack after picking it once. Oh, my, that's more than 10 years ago... :0
    I don't know what my first experience with the anime was... Got most of the season 1 VHS cassetes... but when? No idea.

I'm going to be 20 in 2 months... and I'm the only one of my friends left who's still interested in Pokémon. And now that I'm reading the manga and with HG and SS coming out, the flame of my fandom has been set ablaze again. (my fandom was dormant for a bit)
    It kinda surprises me that most of the people posting here are from the 'first generation' of fans. I would have guessed that a whole new bunch of fans had arrived by now. XD

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I started in 1999. I was... *thinks* seven at the time, and I unlocked Dodrio Mode on Pokemon Stadium so I could play super-fast.

I always had the idea to level Pokemon evenly; everyone around me leveled on super strong Pokemon and I called them noob lol

I've a copy of almost every Pokemon game (or had a copy) since 1999.

Sotto Voce

woohoo!!
    Years
  • It was either '98 or '99, I was obsessed. :D

Same here, but I'm not so sure about when I got into it....
    I bought pokemon Gold as my first game (not too far after I got Dragon Warrior Monsters, my first GBC game ever) and after that it went from there and I have every pokemon game now, but i don't watch the shows anymore (but maybe I'll buy the dvds...) and I recently just got my 1st grade brother into pkmn cards and I have bought more.

Armleg

Protector of all Slowpokes!
    Years
  • Let's see... 2010-1998=12... E=mc^2... DINGDONG!
    I've been into Pokemon for 12 years. Got hooked on the anime when I was about 6 and proceeded to become addicted to the games. I rarely watch the anime anymore, but I will occasionally watch it when flipping through the channels. I'm still hooked on the handheld console games, though! Not a big fan of the GC games and never played Battle Revolution because it got crap reviews.

IceSage

Sage of Ice
    Years
  • I first got into Pokemon in 1996 when I read an article about it in a gaming magazine. I was looking at the screenshots, and I mistook one for the game being able to have your Pokemon with you, by your side. I had later found out that wasn't true, and ever since then I've hoped for a Pokemon game that has such a feature. Finally, I'm glad to see that Pokemon HeartGold / SoulSilver has this feature, and it's somewhat to my satisfaction.

I then was excited, and looked forward to, the Pokemon TV series when it came out. I watched it and kept track of it's progress almost every day. This was before I had known about how things get lost and changed in translation. The first Pokemon related thing I've seen in it's original Japanese was a crappy VHS tape fandub of Mewtwo Strikes Back.

The Pokemon games and the early on TV series will always have a place in my heart. The TV series after the first season and after Pokemon became popular... not so much. I'm not too pleased with how NoA has handled Pokemon in the US.

However, the US versions of the games I still enjoy. It's hilarious considering someone from SA works for Nintendo and constantly sneaks in internet memes into the text. Seeing such things as "a winner is you" is hilarious. What's even better is that Dick Tripwire is the dubbing manager, or was / is at some point, of the US version (non-4kids, I believe) of Pokemon.

(If you don't know who Dick Tripwire is, he's basically a guy that also dubs Hentai. He sometimes holds 18+ panels at anime and gaming conventions, where people get to go up and dub over hentai like they do in a production studio. It's hilarious stuff. Speaking of which, he should be at Anime Boston next month. If you want to see him, make sure you have an 18+ ID.)

PS. You won't find him credited as "Dick Tripwire" under Pokemon, in case you just ran out to look him up. He only uses that alias for the 18+ stuff.

PSS. I just looked up his real name, it's "Tom Wayland," he voiced Arceus. =P

Last edited:
    Back