• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Whats so bad about Johto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
  • When Johto came to an end and Ash arrived in Hoenn and met May, that's when I lost interest in the anime. The first 5 seasons are and always will be the best thing that happened in the anime.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • those were the best! The openings were the best part too! Soundtracks were awesome, some of my favorite gym leaders were in there, and I loved the whirl islands filler too.

*Charizard*

Velocity
    Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2012
    EVERYTHING!!!!! In parts Johto was good but I did find that Johto had some really really long boring fillers and it drag on way to much.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • (Pokemon, Pokemon, Pokemon)
    Lets do it!
    I wanna be the very best,
    that no one ever was (ever was, ever was)
    To catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause!
    My whole life has led to this, time to test my skills.
    And I know I just can´t miss to show the world...
    Born to be a winner (JOH-TO!)
    Born to be a champion!
    Born to be a winner, born to be the very best (Pokemon, JOH-TO!)
    Born to be a winner, POKEMON!

Best theme of the series. I don't really remember much of Johto aside from mischievious[sp?] Teddiursas, failure at the league, best friends leaving, a meaningless gold and silver ball, and LARVITAR. Which, considering all the filler, isn't much. ...Right?

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
  • Johto had waay too much filler. Kanto had the Orange Islands. Hoenn had ribbons and the Battle Frontier. Johto had nothing extra, thus heaps of filler.

Years
  • I think its the Pokemon Ash had. Maybe even Tracey annoyed people.

I know I missed Pidgeot and was annoyed outright by the lack of Pokemon that had evolved.

Watching Heracross bugger off to a hump a tree...
    Listening to "Waaaaah-buffet!" a few times an episode...

No Lapras. That's got to be it. Lapras was wicked!

Jmath

*blank*
    Years
    • Seen May 7, 2011
    I personally like fillers, because even though it didn't contribute the main plot, the episodes were interesting. I think you guys were better off not watching every single episode week after week. I missed a lot of Johto episodes, which is probably why I actually enjoyed it.
    Yeah, I missed quite a lot of episodes too which is probably why I don't think Johto is all that bad. Guess I missed most of the "boring fillers".

Oh, and for the record Sinnoh pwns Johto anyday of the week imo.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • All right, look, if they truly cared about the whole "Pokemon Master" thing being an important plot point in the show, then Ash's story would have ENDED when he beat Brandon, as he has already proven himself to have become a Pokemon Master by defeating possibly the strongest trainer in the world (far stronger than even a regional champion), so he has no rival after that. Seeing how he didn't stop, and now he's LOSING against Gym Leaders, making it seem as though all of AG never happened, that ultimately PROVES that it is throwing bones, or at least very similar. As I said before, if it isn't defined, it is pointless, meaningless, and nonexistant.

Why could'nt they just make a new series with a new Main Character instead of just using Ash and Brock whom we are tired with, most likely because one: Ash lost the Indigo League and never fought the elite 4 in ANY of the Regions, and two: starting from scratch with a new season of the anime with new characters is something that Pokemons nemesis, Digimon does......

*sigh* If only the anime was more like the games......

Yeah, and the creators also deliberately kept Pikachu's gender in the dark in order to attract both genders, and that now cannot work with the advent of Where No Togepi has gone before. If they can do something as unthinkable as revealing officially Pikachu's gender, then they can certainly give a definition to a Pokemon Master.

Pikachu is a confirmed male, else he would have have a heart shaped tail when DP began, not to mention Dawns feminine Buneary who has a love relationship with Pikachu.....

Jolene

Your huckleberry friend
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Apr 18, 2024
    Why could'nt they just make a new series with a new Main Character instead of just using Ash and Brock whom we are tired with, most likely because one: Ash lost the Indigo League and never fought the elite 4 in ANY of the Regions, and two: starting from scratch with a new season of the anime with new characters is something that Pokemons nemesis, Digimon does......

*sigh* If only the anime was more like the games......

I think it's nice that a TV show which I watched when I was very little is now being watched by a whole new generation of kids who will get to know the same characters and see the same kinds of adventures. It makes me feel happy.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Personally I don't like the Pokémon, I think they're hideous/pointless. Moving on, it was extremely overshadowed by Kanto and didn't seem to have it's "own" story. Seeing that it was the Second Generation, I think the PokéTeam weren't sure of what to do, like all sequels, not as good as the first, forgettable. It's sad but Johto was pretty bad. It seems alright in the IV Generation however, remembering how hard to look at the Pokémon are, I won't be purchasing HG or SS.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    POKEMON MASTER IS NEVER DEFINED words words words

Hey buddy, tell me when the Water Pokemon Master was meticulously defined as you're demanding Pokemon Master be defined?

I personally like fillers, because even though it didn't contribute the main plot, the episodes were interesting. I think you guys were better off not watching every single episode week after week. I missed a lot of Johto episodes, which is probably why I actually enjoyed it. The reason I can't enjoy DP, is because I'm always going on serebii, and they have the episode pictures up or they have 1 pic and it ruins the whole episode for me. :/ They also state what happens as well. I wish they'd put the titles of new episodes in spoilers or something.

Or you could use some willpower and NOT READ THE ANIME SPOILERS forum and stay out of the Episode Discussion threads relevant to episodes you haven't seen.

Serebii doesn't need to do anything. If there's a thread I don't want to read, I don't read it. You should try it out.

Last edited:

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
  • Pikachu is a confirmed male, else he would have have a heart shaped tail when DP began, not to mention Dawns feminine Buneary who has a love relationship with Pikachu.....

It's just the factor that in past seasons its been called a female if I remember right.

But personally, I loved the Johto Saga. Then again, I was young at the time, while watching it on my parents bed on WB Kids haha.

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2013
    I like all the seasons... im just like that XD
    I like the newer seasons better though... they always find a way to improve on the anime :) People were bored of the fillers so they tried adding contests (liked by loads of people, not every one :\)
    I liked the battles in johto but their was not enough! Other then the battles i think the only reason i like it is because... nostalgia or... i just cant hate it XD its pokemon 8D

have you even seen the ratings? Most of the country watches it... it has great ratings.. not here... in japan XDXD That includes pokemon sunday 8D

even if they are bad.. i think people dont like pokemon DP becuase they have lost interest in pokemon and keep clinging on to the old episodes XD (ill admit i will one day... :\ when im 77 years old)

No matter how great the next gen of pokemon will be there will still be a few crying about how rubbish it is and they miss the old days... GET OUT OF THE ROCK AND SMELL THE FREASH AIR!!! Kanto and johto are gone :\ GET OVER IT!!!!

Again: NOSTALGIA JUNK NEEDS ITS OWN STICKY THREAD!!!!!

People, dont take the stuff im saying personally :\ THIS IS DEBATE
    Its not really nostalgia for me. (I think the only Johto season I watched was Master Quest.) but the show was just more enjoyable for me, the Humor, the characters (I loved Ash's cocky attitude, Misty was the brains, and Brock was comic relief, and the fact that Ash had to gain respect of the Gym leaders to get the badge.) The voices, The writing, and to be honest the animators have gotten lazy, if you look at the backgrounds of the new episodes the are usually reused and less detailed the the old backgrounds, Im not trying to be Retro fanboy, as I like the new games, just not the new Anime.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Hey buddy, tell me when the Water Pokemon Master was meticulously defined as you're demanding Pokemon Master be defined?

It at least had a bit more of a definition, as Water Pokemon Master does at least hint that one has had quite a bit of training in regards to Water Pokemon related to Fishing Tournaments/battle tournaments relating to Water Pokemon. Unfortunately, a regular Pokemon Master never really had that same luxury, as it constantly contradicts itself. For instance, it is speculated that beating the champion makes one a Pokemon Master, but neither the regional Elite 4 nor the Champion are labelled as such, and Ash won the Orange Cup, and while not exactly a league, he beat something that was heavily implied to be far stronger than the Elite 4/Champion (The Battle Frontier), and he still never attained the position. Pokedex also cannot be it due to the infeasibility of it.

Or you could use some willpower and NOT READ THE ANIME SPOILERS forum and stay out of the Episode Discussion threads relevant to episodes you haven't seen.

Serebii doesn't need to do anything. If there's a thread I don't want to read, I don't read it. You should try it out.

To me, the only way where I don't have to deal with something is if it doesn't exist. I tried ignoring someone on SPPf, but it never worked as the ignore option doesn't work in archived sites.

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    It at least had a bit more of a definition, as Water Pokemon Master does at least hint that one has had quite a bit of training in regards to Water Pokemon related to Fishing Tournaments/battle tournaments relating to Water Pokemon.

Please tell me what is required of a Water Pokemon Master, citing specific tasks and/or events to compete and win in to advance that goal.

I'll give you a hint: It's vaguely/not defined for a reason. The entire franchise is about coming up with the answers for yourself. That's why there's ambiguity in so much of it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 28, 2010
    I didnt think Johto series(s) were outstandingly bad, or outstandingly good either. The original series and Adv Gen were probably the best for me though.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back