• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which gym took the longest to beat

which gym took you long to beat?

• Total voters

salmence33

I'm out here
Years
    • He/him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    The title says it all
    Please tell us why it took you the longest.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    The gyn that took me the longest was the ghost gym, I suck at all of the questions and most of my pokemon seem to be weak against ghost type pokemon.Some other reasons might be that I don't really get a lot of time to train between the water gym and getting to the ghost gym, my pokemon wre like on somewhere aroud level 25.

Sebastien Loeb

Motorsport Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    Mah, thinks the gym Elettro, or at least that that has caused me more problems in theory.

Kudra

IV breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2013
    None of them were really hard at all. None of the leaders were at all unbeatable, and the puzzles were laughably easy.

Years
  • I beat all the gyms on the first try if I remember right. The toughest one? Probably the ghost gym simply due to the fact I didn't have a pokemon with type advantage. Still had moves like crunch though.

XeReX

Pokémon Fanatic
    Years
  • Hm. Well I wouldn't consider any Pokémon gyms to be hard. The puzzles to get to them are quite "amusing" at times. But if I would have to choose... It would have to be the Ghost Gym. I simply hate Ghost Pokémon and I find it rather hard to battle when you lack a type advantage.

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
  • The water one was a pain. I started with a Piplup, and none of my pokemon save a Luxray stood a chance against Wake.

yuki3056

Grass Types own
    Years
  • Maylene gave me a tough time...I then figured out it was part steel and was able to beat her in a 7th rematch 1-3 i used alakazam 4 and 5 I used Staraptor 6 I used alakazam and staraptor finally I got a fire type (traded a Chimchar over)

Years
  • For some reason I never liked Byron. I tend to always find Steel-types annoying because of their high defenses, and my favourite pokemon that I play through the game with usually aren't strong against them, either. D: I remember way back in G/S/C I used to have some trouble with Jasmine too.

All Gym Leaders are really easy, though, and I never had much trouble with them. The puzzles in the Ice-type gym really bugged me at times, because I kept forgetting how to do it. :P I think that it'll be easier to judge how Gym Leaders will be once Platinum comes out, though, since that version is revamping many of the gyms, making them more difficult and actually making them... relevant. No more Octillery in an Electric-type gym, hurray. >_>

Tiny_Treecko

New Newbie
    Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2009
    It took me a few minutes to figure out the ice gym puzzle. For some reason I just didn't take to that one. All the gym leaders were easy though.

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2023
    I don't remember the first 4 gyms b/c I stopped playing in like June 2007. I didn't touch it until December 2008.

I'd guess the Water gym was probably the hardest since I probably just had Luxio with Spark. The Ghost gym was easy. Gyarados with Ice Fang and Bite swept them. My Monferno/Infernape swept Steel and Ice. The last gym I my Gabite, Infernape, and Luxio.

Years
    • Seen Mar 12, 2011
    none of them were really hard for me I really just breezed through all of them with piplup and my team.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • I never had a problem with any gym, clean sweeps for all but one; Mayleen. My starter was Chimchar, so I decided that Monferno should get to take down Lucario. One critical-hit-Bone Rush later, and I had a Pokemon faint to a Gym Leader. The only one...
    Now in Ruby Version, Watson always gave me trouble. It might have had something to do with starting with Torchic, as well as using Aron as a ground type; the problem being he isn't ground type, so he wasn't immune to electric.

Pechachu

Indifference, I choose you!
    Years
  • The Ghost Gym was the only one I had a bit of trouble with- I had type disadvantages on most of my high level Pokemon, but that's really my own fault. I beat it eventually. :3

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
    Years
  • On Diamond, I had a problem with the Steel gym for some reason (but I can't remember right now why lol!) and Pearl I just got through the Ghost gym, using 8 revives, three hyper potions and a lot of switching and swapping, so on Pearl it was the Ghost gym, for me.

Years
  • Battle-wise: They were all very easy to beat because the AI is lame.

Puzzle-wise: I hated Candice's gym. I made way too many mistakes in the puzzle. It took longer than the one in Pryce's gym back in 2nd gen because you didn't have to destroy snowballs in order to reach the gym leader in G/S/C.

DarknessSneasel

Master of Dark
    Years
  • The ghost gym. The Mismagius was a nightmare to beat. In my original Diamond team Prinplup got 2hko'd by Magical leaf.On my curretn Diamond save Monferno kho'd by psybeam. In pearl My torterra brezzed it through with bite.

EJ

everything is purple
    Years
    • FL
    • Seen Mar 19, 2022
    Maylene's gym was my toughest at first. After that, I never had trouble with that gym or any other.

Back