• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Which trainer did you have the most trouble with?

Wild Electrode

Imma use Esplosion!
Years
  • -The 2nd Rival battle, because my entire team was weak to Bayleef.
    -Lance, because he's Lance.
    -Red, because he's Red. Extra hard when your strongest is a 61 and half your team consists of HM slaves.
    -The double battle against Lance and Clair. They double teamed my rival and I was left fighting two on one with my severly underleveled Pokemon.

jolteon.

asdfasdfasdf
    Years
  • Hm, I was playing through my brother's game because he was stuck, and a stupid slowpoke kept yawning and (growling?) at my pokemons, so it was a long fight. Quilava was all he trained, and that was fainted. Everything else was useless but we managed to win.

Lucipher

I'm not as bad as you think.
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2010
    Lance without a doubt. I mean come on, 3 dragonites really? However, Sabrina with Alakazam and Espeon and Whitney para haxing me the whole time with her miltank were also troublesome...

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • For me Lance(3 dragonites seriously?), and Blue(Trick room screwed me up badly).

Same for me too. Blue's Trick Room would kill my party if he got it off. His Machamp would sweep my entire team, lol. I thought I had a pretty balanced team, but Lance was still difficult. I had nothing for his Gyarados, and even with Lapras his Dragonites took a lot effort to finish off. I was pretty bad under leveled and need a lot of revives and potions.

Years
  • For me it was probably Clair. I only lost to her once but I had to go catch a Lapras and train it to level 35+ to spam Ice Beams on her dragons.

KurlyFries

let's get this bread
    Years
  • Children, children.. Sounds like none of you have faced Lance on the second run of the E4, after the National Dex.
    His team is scary, and twice I was creamed by a beastly Salamence. I brought down his
    evil mence with my Dragonite (it used flamethrower?! lolhax) and I used my Choice Scarfed Feraligator with Ice Punch to tear down Garchomp and a Dragonite that outleveled my entire team by at least 9 levels. The rest came naturally. But the most annoying and difficult trainer is Koga (yes, on the Post-National Dex E4.) Toxic + Black Sludge + 4 Minimizes = a ridiculous Muk that you will learn to loathe as I have.

Kuni Kagami

Keen eye trainer
    Years
  • It was easy beating lance but i did have a problem with Blue/Green , I just was a little behind in training.
    I was also glad/a little disappointed they mellowed out Whitney's milktank from spamming rollout. xD

Children, children.. Sounds like none of you have faced Lance on the second run of the E4, after the National Dex.
    His team is scary, and twice I was creamed by a beastly Salamence. I brought down his
    evil mence with my Dragonite (it used flamethrower?! lolhax) and I used my Choice Scarfed Feraligator with Ice Punch to tear down Garchomp and a Dragonite that outleveled my entire team by at least 9 levels. The rest came naturally. But the most annoying and difficult trainer is Koga (yes, on the Post-National Dex E4.) Toxic + Black Sludge + 4 Minimizes = a ridiculous Muk that you will learn to loathe as I have.

Yeah i just fought the new elite , great training , Had trouble with koga but that was about it.

Xine

I LIEK U
    Years
  • - Lance and Clair (stupid Dragonair resist everything on my team)
    - Kimono girl (no heal or change 1st slot pokemon...pfft)
    - Morty (gengar's shadow ball pwn me)

and maybe Red...but i managed to defeat him with four lvl 55 (my team) and two lvl 70 pokemon (ho-oh and mewtwo), lol

Years
  • Regular Trainers:
    That duo on Route 47 with the Magmar and Electabuzz. I had Lapras (who was weak against electric attacks) and Flaaffy out, and they were paralyzed within minutes. Fortunately, Flaaffy managed to paralyze both Electabuzz and Magmar, too. Both of them hung on for a while, but I eventually had to pull Lapras out and switch in Quilava. She was quickly inflicted with paralysis as well, but she and Flaaffy hung in there and took down Electabuzz (I'm pretty sure Magmar was out of there by the time I made the switch).

The first Skier in Pryce's Gym. That Jynx froze my Ampharos solid twice in a row! What are the chances? The next time I faced her, I equipped Ampharos with an Aspear Berry, and guess what? The Jynx didn't even use Ice Punch…

Any trainer in the game with a Pikachu as their main Pokemon. Double Team, Thunder Wave… that pretty much sums it up. Not to mention their ability has a chance of paralyzing any Pokemon that uses a direct attack on them.

Gym Leaders:
    Morty, Morty, and did I mention Morty? His Gengar's Shadow Ball pretty much wiped the floor with my Pokemon. The Pokemon with the best Special Defense on my team was Quilava (whose Special Defense is average at best… guess what that says about the rest of my team?), and she still lost a good 50-60% of her HP from one attack. She was also the fastest Pokemon on my team, and still unable to beat out that Gengar in speed. I think the only reason I managed to put that Gengar away was because of a critical hit with Flame Wheel.

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    One of the trainers in Blue's gym gave me some trouble. I think it's Spinda knocked out my Typhlosion :( Trick Room + Confusion + STAB + Typh Hurting Himself = Typh dying :(

YAY! Just caught level 70 Ho-oh!!!

Kristine

Pokemon Addict Since 1998
    Years
  • So far I haven't had a lot of trouble with any trainers, but I'm on my way to the Elite Four right now, so I'll see how I do there. I just crossed into Kanto for the first time. My Pokemon are a 37 Piloswine, 38 Typhlosion, 40 Seadra, 40 Golbat, 43 Hypno, and 43 Pidgeot, and I haven't gone through Victory Road yet.

I had some annoyance with Morty though, because I forgot to buy more Awakenings before I challenged him, and his Gengars put my entire team to sleep. Every time my Pokemon would wake up, the Gengars would use Hypnosis again. :knockedou Eventually my Togetic defeated them with a combo of Sweet Kiss and Yawn.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Route 48, the duo who use Magmar and Electabuzz xD All my pokemon were like weak to fire or electric... :<
    THIS THIS THIS. >:| That double battle with the Magmar and Electabuzz. I had no more revives, no more potion-like items and I was down to my last Pokémon. I still don't know how I survived that battle. The only Pokemon I had that weren't weak to Electabuzz were Ampharos (who I think was sent out first and fainted) and Cherrim who... fails against Magmar. Ugh. That battle was SO STRESSFUL since I really didn't want to walk all the way back out there. D:

Lmao, aside from that trainer, I guess I had problems with Lance. Augh, that Dragonite that new Thunder? >_< That took forever to beat. It wasn't as stressful as the aforementioned battle, however, since I'd saved right before it. XD; It took two tries to beat Lance, and they took forever each time (and actually my first loss was embarrassingly... embarrassing) but it still doesn't invoke the same rage that the double battle did. >8|

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • Yeah, I sucked at Bugsy too...

That battle was pure Evidence why Pokemon with scythes are awesome. Scyther, Seviper, Kabutops(most awesome of all, although he has a quadruple weakness to grass...).

But what really got me was Clair and the Miscellany of trainers after Ice Path. I thought to myself: "Wait? Since when were my Pokemon supposed to be Lvl 35?!"

I just got to level 35 before the Kimono Girls.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2012
    Lance
    -if I had taken the one pokemon challenge or continued to stop my pokemon from evolving, I would have been a roasted pidgey. His tri-Dragonite force was invincible. He had a thunder one to counter my bird and an ice one to counter my grass. His Aeryldactyl was nothing to laugh at either. Luckily, I was rolling in money at that point in the game.
    -During the double battle, he defeated my rival with great ease too. It was five times worse than the champion battle.

...I can't even imagine facing his fury after Red with my duo.

Back