• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Who thinks certain Pokemon should only be one gender?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiri

Breeder & Berry Grower
Years
  • I'm like Kine. But sometimes I have to get females (e.g. female starters) to breed them.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • First things - Latias IS always female. Latias and Latios are meant to be brother and sister, so Latias is female and Latios is always male. As with legendaries, they're meant to be one of a kind, so that's why gender isn't an issue. To be honest, I wouldn't mind if all the Pokemon were male, female or genderless. My Ditto will still love them all (apart from legendaries :().

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • The real reason legendaries are genderless (aside from Latias and Latios) is due to the fact that they don't want you to breed any more of them. To say they're all genderless in particular doesn't really work, especially if you consider the anime (as seen with the Whirl Islands Lugia). There's only so many I can think are actually unique, Mewtwo being one of them.

And then in Pokemon Snap (if anyone remembers that), the Legendary birds all come from eggs. Someone had to lay those eggs.

Neko-sama

The Perverted GFX God
    Years
  • lol Pokemon Should be female , male or hmaephrodites(dont ask lol) cos then all da breeders would lose there jobs. :D i usually breed my legendary pokemon and give em away to people for E-Reader cards lol :P

Kine

Whatev
    Years
  • ...yes.

If breeding legendaries were possible, there wouldn't need to be a reason to trade for them, unless you're using some cheat device.

mew_master

(don't)ignore paranthesees
    Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2005
    i think rhyhorn family should be all male, pinsir should be male, gyarados shoukd always be male and the same with magikarp. some pokemon i think should be female are milotic, the swablu family, and beautifly. oh, and skitty and delcatty as well and luvdisc if not already.

Muffin™

Knows your age
    Years
  • Uhh... Mr. Mime?

I saw a female Mr. Mime and I was like "WTF!?!"

(When I caught it, I changed its name to "Mrs. Mime ^^)

So yea, keep Mr. Mime to one gender o-o

Nikorasu

Shut down the devil sound
    Years
  • Ho-oh i would say is female D:

One pokemon i always think as a male is Metapod for some reason :D

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2010
    No way, Ho-oh is just flamboyant.

Lugia's a dude also.

More over the Machoke and Machamp need to be males or there needs to be more dimorphism.

Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2010
    Snorlax needs to be male only. We cant have america get the wrong message for females now...

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2010
    i think it's okay if there are female snorlax.
    what i can't stand up with is a male feebas :P

Years
  • Jigglypufff, Claffairy, Meowth, Skitty, and Mr Mime

Snorlax needs to be male only. We cant have america get the wrong message for females now...
    Last I check there are fat girls too

No... it's a girl...remember the anime? When Lugia had a baby named Silver?
    There are more than one Legendarily Pokemon. Like the Movie one was a boy, and the anime one was a girl. Also to prove this we have the elite head with Articuno

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2014
    Well, upto gen 3, i don't really think there was any problem with genders. The trouble starts in the 4th gen. Frolass (Snorunt's alternate evolved form) is a female only species. That kinda makes Glalie it's make counterpart, but Glalie can in fact be make OR female. Similarly with Gallade/Gardevoir.

The only one gender based restriction which really makes sense, is Vespiqueen. Combee only evolves if it's a female, which is true, only female bees can become queen bees.

Also, kinda on topic, has anyone noticed? Cressalia, a female only species, had a genderless counterpart! Darkrai!

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • Well, I agree that some should be changed to one Gender. Perhaps there should be more of a Gender difference though. I don't think that Ralts should be only Female, because it can be Gallade in a later evolution as a male. Perhaps if Ralts couldn't evolve into Kirlia unless it was female. That would be nice. Also I agree on the Mr.Mime and Jynx being their respective genders. I think Celebi should be called Female. In my opinion Xatu should be Genderless. Don't ask.

This is a very interesting thread, but shouldn't this go in Pokemon general?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back