• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Pikachu???

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2007
    Well it wouldn't be as "simple as that" as they could of have sandshrew, nidoran, ekans, clefairy, jigglypuff, vulpix, etc. as the mascot instead, if Ash had a different starter besides pikachu things would probably be a lot different.

... I don't really want to argue now but the creators choose Pikachu for a reason. =D And I guess that the reason is unknown, for now. ^^

anemos

Insomniac
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2010
    its universal appeal. even people who are affraid of mice must enjoy electricity.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Yeah, I didn't mean that they made Pikachu mascot for racial reasons, but it kinda shocked me when I re-read what I wrote. It's a creepy coincidence.

I'm gonna see if I can find a well-cited page that states why Cleffairy was given the boot. I honestly think a Normal-type PKMN would have made a better mascot...it's, well, more neutral than Electric.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2007
    Well Pikachu is easily noticed a memorable. Not many people are going to forget a yellow mouse with red cheeks. That and it might be the anime that caused him to be the mascot, or was he chosen before that to be the mascot?

anemos

Insomniac
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2010
    how many times must i say it.. the video games came first.

Years
  • THANK U! i hate pikachu. i wish he would evolve. that anime makes him 2 strong. if he were 2 evolve the anime would b cooler. ne1 agree? if it was cleafairy, they coulda made it pink version. sigh. im going 2 complain now.

Years
  • I love Pikachu, lol, I do love other Pokemon, I'm not one of those people who favours Pikachu above all Pokemon, but yeah, you get the idea, plus I'm used to thinking of Pikachu as the mascot seeing as until today I'd ever only owned Yellow, lol

But in terms of cuteness, Vulpix owns Pikachu though

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • Pikachu s**ks. The only game that Pikachu is a somewhat-strong Pokémon is Yellow Version, a Special Edition. Nintendo made it because the fans wanted.

For me, it wouldn't be Pikachu. For me, it would be Charmander.

anemos

Insomniac
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2010
    pikachu wasnt any stronger there....was it? (it because genders werent invented until the year 2000, by the pokemon g/s staff)

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Pikachu was chosen by the Japanese public. The creators of Pokemon wanted Ash to have a different starter Pokemon than the original three. They didn't want to alienate any viewers. (If Ash had gotten Bulbasaur, those who chose Charmander or Squirtle would have felt like they were ignored.) So the creators wanted to have a "neutral" starter Pokemon.

It was a choice between Clefairy and Pikachu. The Japanese public voted for Pikachu.

The only game that Pikachu is a somewhat-strong Pokémon is Yellow Version, a Special Edition. Nintendo made it because the fans wanted.
    It had the same stats, but different moves. The one thing that ruined it was that it couldn't evolve. That could have been fixed by trading it over, however.

Kyaru-san

Mysterious Trainer
    Years
  • Ok let me break this down to all of you if want to know Why?
    Pikachu is too popular it's cuter than Clefairy, Majority Girls love it, Guys love it!!
    But still The best rival I think they should've thought of is between Eevee and Pikachu hard to pick huh( despite Anti-Pikachu and Anti-Eevee clan). But I pretty much understand why they chosen Pikachu.
    Raichu ownzzz you all I'm out

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Pikachu is alright but If its ont the scale of like and hate I'll be further toward the hate side but oh well. Who knows why its the mascot. The same reason why Meowth is known for talking

:t354:TG

Marsh-Stomp

My Marshtomp Shall Crush You!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2011
    Pikachu being a Mascot doesn't bother me.
    What did bother me was:
    They were going to give Ash a Clefairy instead of Pikachu.

Power Ram

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2007
    i think because he is the best haha. no probably because the people who made teh cartoon liked him.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Pikachu being a Mascot doesn't bother me.
    What did bother me was:
    They were going to give Ash a Clefairy instead of Pikachu.
    ...that post made me laugh. XD;;
    Kyaru_Amishina said:
    Ok let me break this down to all of you if want to know Why?
    Pikachu is too popular it's cuter than Clefairy, Majority Girls love it, Guys love it!!
    But still The best rival I think they should've thought of is between Eevee and Pikachu hard to pick huh( despite Anti-Pikachu and Anti-Eevee clan). But I pretty much understand why they chosen Pikachu.
    Raichu ownzzz you all I'm out
    Didn't Gary have Eevee? I can see why they wouldn't give Ash one, though. I mean, he would have to evolve it, I think, since the whole appeal with Eevee is that it has so many different options for evolution. While its evolutions are pretty cute, none of them have the same presence as Pikachu, I think. They're too big and too complicated looking. Eevee and Flareon would be the only two options and Flareon...I dunno. I can't see it being a mascot. :x

MegaTailzChao

how do i shot arrows
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Aug 12, 2010
    While you people say "WHY PIKACHU??!?!!??", I say why not?

Repeating what's been said dozens of times already, he's cute, he's memorable, and he looks interesting. What's not to love about him other then his sub-par stats?

I HATE U PIKACHU!!!!!! i hate him x100000000000000000000 no changing that he should have gotten eevee 2 begin with.
    You are one ANGRY ANGRY person. I should smack you for being so angry.

I mean I can respect your opinion but posts like this make me want to smack someone. Namely the people that make the posts.

Years
  • While you people say "WHY PIKACHU??!?!!??", I say why not?

Repeating what's been said dozens of times already, he's cute, he's memorable, and he looks interesting. What's not to love about him other then his sub-par stats?

You are one ANGRY ANGRY person. I should smack you for being so angry.

I mean I can respect your opinion but posts like this make me want to smack someone. Namely the people that make the posts.

I must agree, posts like that are just stupid. I also agree that Pikachu was a good choice for his Pokemon. I mean if he picked one of the starting three Kanto Pokemon then most people are bound to pick that one as well in their game, or favour it at least. Pikachu to be fair ticks most of the boxes, for example its cute, can get angry when provoked, is strong but not overly powerful and is easily recognisable. Yes there are other choices, maybe better ones I don't know, but as Mega said above, why not Pika?

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2013
    Why Pikachu?

Because they focus tested Raichu and they didn't like him and they did the same for Pichu but he got annyoing. And noone likes Caterpie, so Pika was it.
    Everyone likes Caterpie.

Also just basically easy to pick up and they most likely planned it to be a mascot since it's what the show is about Ash and Pikachu.

Back